• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

More CGs for Fates DLC
http://imgur.com/a/gSALV
This time for the Future Past equivalent maps
Now featuring an actually proportional Forrest
Not featuring: Siegbert for some reason but hey, at least there are three slightly different ones for Kana

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Seriously, though, I wonder how many more patches will be coming yet.

DLC might be done, but there clearly is somebody still working on the game.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Seriously, though, I wonder how many more patches will be coming yet.

I'm willing to wager it's just one more patch to sort out the DLC characters and other loose ends.

1.1.5 also just seems like a good version number to end on. Sakurai likes his perfectionism.

----------------------

So apparently an official ad for Senran Kagura has a wall of amiibo.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm willing to wager it's just one more patch to sort out the DLC characters and other loose ends.

1.1.5 also just seems like a good version number to end on. Sakurai likes his perfectionism.
Well, I must admit that this patch would be a good way to finish things off with the buffs and nerfs some characters sorely needed.

Samus and Zelda look a lot more powerful while dominating characters and the latest DLC trio got more tame. Stuff like Corrin's Counter and some of Bayo's shenanigans really needed some adjustment.

And finishing off with some more Ganondorf buffs would be just great. lol :4ganondorf:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

These chips are being hailed as the #1 flavor in Canada...

After tasting it

Canada, you have bad taste in potato chips

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree with Canada
I ate those while I was there and they are great
It's just that YOU have ****taste :p
Canada's population is only 35 million

The world has 7.1 billion

If 35 million + 1 person likes those chips is still the unusual taste

Therefore bad

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Looks like we now know how the most popular adult Fire Emblem Fates characters will have their special treatment similar to how the children have those CGs with the future DLC.

Two new 3DS menu themes will be released in Japan soon: one featuring the top 4 most popular male adult units and the other featuring the top 4 most popular female adult units.

One detail worth mentioning: we finally have our first glimpse of Jakob and Oboro's proper official arts thanks to these menu themes.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Well, I must admit that this patch would be a good way to finish things off with the buffs and nerfs some characters sorely needed.

Samus and Zelda look a lot more powerful while dominating characters and the latest DLC trio got more tame. Stuff like Corrin's Counter and some of Bayo's shenanigans really needed some adjustment.

And finishing off with some more Ganondorf buffs would be just great. lol :4ganondorf:
I dunno, I'd say there's a few characters that could use a bit more before the game goes perma-gold, for example,

Jiggly needs SOMETHING ffs.
Pac-Man's grab could stand to be less awful altogether.
Charge Shot on Samus still is not as strong as it ought to be.
Luma shenanigans are still pretty ridiculous with Rosa.
Duck Hunt still needs a reliable kill move that doesn't take 500 years to start up.
Shulk has a whole mess of issues, especially now compared to Cloud
And Lucina could use something to make her more than Marth Lite.

But, if this WAS the last patch, we're definitely in a way better spot than at launch and I'd be satisfied with it, with a lot of the lowest tiers getting some well deserved buffs and over time becoming more and more of legitimate threats. More than anything though, poor Jiggles.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

Therefore bad
That's some iffy Math there.
You can't put that against the entire planet when not everyone on the planet has had them.
The overall population size should be of everyone that's ever had them.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Balance patch? Wasn't expecting anymore but okay.

Link to the patch list plz?

EDIT: Found it. Very interesting. Mah bois :4wario: & :4feroy: aren't touched so I'm fine.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
that moment your considering a new 3ds because you need a bigger sd card for smash updates

note i still have room but if they update again im sol

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Because GS's devs also make the Mario Sport games and it's easier and more cost effective to throw an empty husk like Ultra Smash together than to make an RPG.
True though they can always let Camelot collab with a studio like Monlith to make dev time more quicker and efficient because GS is still a series that does well. There's no reason why GS4 can't be a 2017 release.

WHAT.

WHAT. WHAT. WHAT.

So much for Bayo being the last character and Sakurai going for a vacation... Obligatory PushDustIn PushDustIn tag.
I almost had a heart attack.

Though in reality it would have probably been Chrom and Dr. Dark Young Metal Giant Marth because this is Sakurai we're talking here.
Don't expose me. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's some iffy Math there.
You can't put that against the entire planet when not everyone on the planet has had them.
The overall population size should be of everyone that's ever had them.
Lol, I doubt 35 million people in Canada have tried and liked them.

It has vinegar as one of the main flavorings so it was an uphill battle from there for me anyway

D

Deleted member

Therefore bad
But of the people that ate them
It's "most of Canada" against your opinion
So you're the odd one out
Looks like we now know how the most popular adult Fire Emblem Fates characters will have their special treatment similar to how the children have those CGs with the future DLC.

Two new 3DS menu themes will be released in Japan soon: one featuring the top 4 most popular male adult units and the other featuring the top 4 most popular female adult units.

One detail worth mentioning: we finally have our first glimpse of Jakob and Oboro's proper official arts thanks to these menu themes.
And they are:
Xander, Leo, Takumi and... Jakob
Rip Lobster Lord
Unsurprised Elise and Camilla are between the most popular ones
But, Oboro? What? Seriously, ****ing Oboro is one of the most popular characters?
She's just a racist asshole with an overused Freudian Excuse

Speaking of official artwork, it's taking sometime for them to release them

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But of the people that ate them
It's "most of Canada" against your opinion
So you're the odd one out

And they are:
Rip Lobster Lord
But, Oboro? What? Seriously, ****ing Oboro is one of the most popular characters?
She's just a racist ******* with an overused Freudian Excuse

Oh yeah because quality of taste is based solely on numbers of people that enjoy it. That's why McDonald's gas the best quality of any restaurant

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Nevermind. Yet again I didn't need to write that and I was probably horribly stupid.

Sorry about that.

Does anyone know a good YouTube channel to watch?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, with movement speed nerfs and rolling nerfs (in a game where rolling is a huge necessity) I'm dropping my main of Corrin.

Seriously. Most dumb balance patch decision ever. Balance patches to me are starting to become something I loathe, just leave the game alone why don't you? Jeez, I'm so pissed.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I don't blame those that are upset by the balance patch honestly.

They need to get in touch with their audience and learn what the people actually want. Samus buffs? Good. Meta Knight nerfs? What?

Someone posted a tweet that Meta Knight was only nerfed because a Meta Knight won the tournament in front of Sakurai and the dev team. I believe it too. It's that kind of approach to balancing that just makes me facepalm at the Smash 4 devs.

No official patch notes was already ridiculous.

You can argue that they're "balancing for a casual audience too". But honestly, if you're playig casually... Who cares that the angle of a Fair was increased by 2 degrees? Only the competitive players do. So make the balance patches for the fans that actually care about it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, with movement speed nerfs and rolling nerfs (in a game where rolling is a huge necessity) I'm dropping my main of Corrin.

Seriously. Most dumb balance patch decision ever. Balance patches to me are starting to become something I loathe, just leave the game alone why don't you? Jeez, I'm so pissed.
The flipside being games with casts of 60+ and only 9 are ever used.

Balence patches are intended to extend the life of a game by either removing a massive annoyance or re-shuffling the playing field to stave off stagnation. The latter may fall through though with new techs still being found on games older than me.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
So far there are two possible hints that Ganondorf might be Bowser's opponent for the next Death Battle

1. Ben Singer's tweet of January 18 that shows the Hyrule Historia book in the Death Battle studio
2. The Master Sword can be seen in the background when Ben and Chad mention they'll soon announce Bowser's opponent

D

Deleted member

The flipside being games with casts of 60+ and only 9 are ever used.
Sounds like Smash 4? I mean, the top tiers get the results and they have for quite a while. There isn't a huge diversity among top 10s in Smash 4.

Balence patches are intended to extend the life of a game by either removing a massive annoyance or re-shuffling the playing field to stave off stagnation. The latter may fall through though with new techs still being found on games older than me.
In an ideal scenario that is what happens, however in this scenario and generally Smash patches they don't actually get rid of the issues and nerf something into oblivion. They also tend to nerf characters that aren't even a top (Corrin for example), and I could understand nerfing the counter, but anything outside of that was an absolute sign they had no idea what they are doing if they are trying to make a competitive balance patch that extends the life of the game.

Heck, they give Zelda buffs but don't actually fix her main issues. Yeah, you can grab easier now that's the best thing they did, but she has no kill setups into grab so what's the point? They didn't touch her main issues, Din's Fire and Lightning Kick.

Jigglypuff has literally been untouched without a single update while the other balloon fighter continuously has gotten updates recently and Jigglypuff is legit terrible in Smash 4, arguably the worst character. If they cared about balance they would've done something with her at least by now.

I could really go on, but the cons out weigh the pros for balance patches because they literally do not know what they are doing.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I blame it on the dev team and the punks that complain about it. Fixing Corrin's Glitches and Counter Surge, that's great.

Nerfing her to oblivion, what the hell? It's just lik what happen with :4littlemac:&:4greninja: in the first patch and the beating :4diddy: took patch after patch even after HOO HAA was dead.

At this I rather just BUFF the top tiers and fix the major issues without the nerfs. Oh there's some necessary nerfs like with :4sheik:& pre-patch :4diddy: but someone like :4falcon: shouldn't need a NERF unless his stuff was insane and off the wall like a certain character

:rosalina: or in a serious case, NERF ****ING LUMA

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I happen to like most of the changes minus Cloud. It was about time for characters to get some nerfs especially characters like Shiek and Corrin. I just wished they nerfed Bayo as well.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I find it to being careful for what you wish for.
People were clamoring for Corrin to be less "OP", and that's what they did.
People claimed rolling was broken, so they fixed it.

Are some a little strange? Sure. But most of the times it's: "THIS CHARACTER IS TOO OP! FIX THEM SAKURAI!" "NOW THEY'RE NOT GOOD ANYMORE! I HATE YOU SAKURAI!"

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I blame it on the dev team and the punks that complain about it. Fixing Corrin's Glitches and Counter Surge, that's great.

Nerfing her to oblivion, what the hell? It's just lik what happen with :4littlemac:&:4greninja: in the first patch and the beating :4diddy: took patch after patch even after HOO HAA was dead.

At this I rather just BUFF the top tiers and fix the major issues without the nerfs. Oh there's some necessary nerfs like with :4sheik:& pre-patch :4diddy: but someone like :4falcon: shouldn't need a NERF unless his stuff was insane and off the wall like a certain character

:rosalina: or in a serious case, NERF ****ING LUMA
Buff The Top Tiers!? Why? I hope you mean low tiers, because Top tiers don't need any buffs.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sounds like Smash 4? I mean, the top tiers get the results and they have for quite a while. There isn't a huge diversity among top 10s in Smash 4.
There actually have been pretty diverse top 8s in stacked tournaments. Some examples like Lucario, Greninja and Toon Link in particular have been placing in top 8 more often.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm kind of confused about the patch situation. I can't gather any common thread about what people are upset about other than "Sakurai ruined the game by doing *balancing* wrong!"

. . .Well, that, and the fact that it deletes replays.

I guess they could try to figure out how to prevent that from happening to replays next game, but all the other requests seem either really confusingly specific and different between each person who asks for them or subjected to so much telephone game that the resulting request inevitably ends up having everyone yell at it for not being what they asked for. Heck, that's pretty much how competitive requests for the series go in general.

I guess if they want to balance properly for the next game, they could see who ranks where on the tier lists for each past Smash game and buff them with priority being according to who's been weakest the most consistently, but unless the fandom actually takes the time to band together and make a VERY specific and VERY unanimous list of what needs to be tweaked, there's no real reference frame outside of that strategy for the developers to even follow.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
And they are:
Rip Lobster Lord
She's just a racist ******* with an overused Freudian Excuse

Yep, Oboro was ranked the 3rd most popular female character in the popularity poll, and all it takes is to play through Birthright to understand why she's popular. Heck, even I will admit that I love her for various reasons.
  • Her S-Support Conversation with Takumi is probably one of the sweetest S-Support conversations in all of Fates.
  • When you're married to someone else and you invite her to come over in My Room, she acts pretty adorable. She's all like, "Aww, you two look so cute together. I love seeing you like this!" Long story short, she acts like she wants to be the third wheel, but in a cute way.
  • She has a cute laugh (you hear it when you invite her in for My Room)
  • Her critical quote: "You are SO last season!" Never gets old for me.
  • Makes a really good unit overall, especially when you give her the Guard Naginata early in the game. For me, she was one of my best units from beginning to end.
  • First time you meet her in Chapter 9 of Birthright, she and Hinata are talking about trying to find Takumi, and their dialogue was pretty amusing.
I'm aware about her hatred for Nohrians though, but that's lead me to the next point.
So if you have Corrin battle Oboro in Chapter 10, the two will share a special dialogue. I don't remember the exact wording, but in went along the lines of something like this:

Oboro: "Oh, you must be Corrin. I'm Oboro. Normally, I'd protect you since I'm one of Takumi's retainers, but since you're fighting with Nohr, I have to take you out to protect Takumi."

Corrin: "Yeah, I understand... what's with the angry face?"

Oboro: "Oh, that's just my face whenever I have to deal with a Nohrian."

Corrin: "So strange."

Being aware of her backstory, I was expecting her to be blow up with rage with that "Nohrian scum" attitude like Takumi has in that chapter, but to see her be casual to Corrin in their first encounter in Chapter 10 surprised me. Looking back though, it kind of makes sense. She can control her Nohrian hatred, as shown in her supports with Silas. I haven't paired the her and Silas together, but I looked up their conversation. When Silas invites her to train in their C-Support, she tells him that she'd prefer not to because she would end up killing him. In the following supports, however, she warms up and realizes not all Nohrians are as evil as she thought they were.

I'm still early in Conquest, currently on Chapter 12 to be exact, though after reading your comment, something tells me she won't be that approachable when I'll meet her again later in the game when I have to face Takumi again.

I guess you could say finding out Oboro placing high in the popularity poll is similar to learning Takumi was the 3rd most popular male. If you play Conquest only, it would obviously be a complete surprise to see Takumi place that high because you'd probably think to yourself, "How on earth did this absolute douche place that high on the popularity poll?" Then, you play through Birthright and you learn more about Takumi's character to the point that it makes sense why people like him. Heck, I will admit he's one of my favorite characters in all of Fates, to the point that I'd probably go into a big paragraph talking about why I like him. Oboro is in a similar boat. Perhaps on one route, she doesn't look like someone that you wouldn't expect to win the hearts of fans, but then you play another route and you learn why she placed so high.

As for the other details: I can tell you that poor Lobster Lord was the 6th most popular male character in the popularity poll, while Azura was the unlucky 5th most popular female character. So close to the top 4, I know. Regarding the official artwork, yeah, I too am surprised it's taking a while. I'd love to see official art for Kaden, Arthur, Kaze, and Niles. Right now, the closest you'll get to see full-body art, aside from Fire Emblem Cipher, are those scans from that 4-koma book, which are pretty good, but I'd prefer to see Yusuke Kozaki's take on them.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm kind of confused about the patch situation. I can't gather any common thread about what people are upset about other than "Sakurai ruined the game by doing *balancing* wrong!"

. . .Well, that, and the fact that it deletes replays.

I guess they could try to figure out how to prevent that from happening to replays next game, but all the other requests seem either really confusingly specific and different between each person who asks for them or subjected to so much telephone game that the resulting request inevitably ends up having everyone yell at it for not being what they asked for. Heck, that's pretty much how competitive requests for how the series should be handled go in general.

I guess if they want to balance properly for the next game, they could see who ranks where on the tier lists for each past Smash game and buff them according to who's been weakest the most consistently, but unless the fandom actually takes the time to band together and make a VERY specific and VERY unanimous list of what needs to be tweaked, there's no real reference frame outside of that strategy for the developers to even follow.
Replays basically redo the whole match all over again rather than actually "recording" the match itself. In other words, if one where to replay those matches and they include a character that was altered in a more recent balance patch, the entire match will play out completely differently from how it was initially saved due to said character having stronger knockback or having more end lag than they used to etc.

I'm not sure if they really can "fix" that other than save it into a video format. Which I suppose that's what the YouTube app is for....

As for regarding the whole thing with character balance. I think I recall Sakurai saying something about looking at online performances and seeing how various characters do etc, and then balance from there or something along those lines. At least if I recall correctly as I'm not sure....

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
See, here's how I see it:

Surprise to no one Smash has two fanbases, casual and competitive. Oh sure this may pointing out the obvious, but you'd be surprised just how many people tend to forget that split. Which is why that idiotic war continues on to this day, but I digress.

As such, you're dealing with two equally unpleasable fanbases that want Mr. Head Honcho to appeal to only their needs. And which one do you go with?

Do you go with the fanbase that thinks people should just "get gud" and "play the game seriously" even though most don't (and really shouldn't need to) give two craps about learning the cancellings and the trip slidings.

Or do you go with the fanbase that thinks that Sakurai -- and it's always Sakurai; The dev team doesn't exist apparently -- should eradicate every little bug or "OP" attack the game has. But that's not how to make a metagame now is it? It just reverts to another shapeless mass and that just gets us nowhere.

And while sure these are very extreme versions of the two, my point is both have a voice. You can't just ignore one fanbase in favor of another. I mean hell you can't simply plug your ears and hope they go away, you gotta appeal to them somehow as irritating as both can be.

So sure some of the patch designs can be stupid, but keep in mind it's not like they're being nerfed left and right for no reason. It became an issue when people made it an issue.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
>posting fake tweets
>Especially one with a premise as absurd as more charcters after Sakurai made it quite clear that isnt happening
>Not checking sources

<3

BTW we passed 500 articles on Source Gaming! It's kind of crazy how something I started on a whim has gotten so big and so involved!

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i have a hobby thats going to end once pooken comes out
"congratulating people who got the game early via street dates being broken On them getting sun and moon delayed in the uk"
because pokkens street date was broken in the uk and well x/y's street date being broken was why oras was delayed in the uk

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Funny story. Me and my friends played some Smash, and I noticed Corrin's Fsmash had much shorter range than usual, making me whine about it a little, one of my friends turned the Wii U off because of immense salt. It was then revealed the patch had not yet been added, so I was just seeing things

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 in a nutshell.

Don't lie girl, this commercial gave us an accurate depiction of your living space. :troll:
I literally don't know how to respond to this....

But I am going to tell you that I got rid of that Hisoka dakimakura weeks ago. Are you happy now? :4dk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom