• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yep, Oboro was ranked the 3rd most popular female character in the popularity poll, and all it takes is to play through Birthright to understand why she's popular. Heck, even I will admit that I love her for various reasons.
  • Her S-Support Conversation with Takumi is probably one of the sweetest S-Support conversations in all of Fates.
  • When you're married to someone else and you invite her to come over in My Room, she acts pretty adorable. She's all like, "Aww, you two look so cute together. I love seeing you like this!" Long story short, she acts like she wants to be the third wheel, but in a cute way.
  • She has a cute laugh (you hear it when you invite her in for My Room)
  • Her critical quote: "You are SO last season!" Never gets old for me.
  • Makes a really good unit overall, especially when you give her the Guard Naginata early in the game. For me, she was one of my best units from beginning to end.
  • First time you meet her in Chapter 9 of Birthright, she and Hinata are talking about trying to find Takumi, and their dialogue was pretty amusing.
I'm aware about her hatred for Nohrians though, but that's lead me to the next point.
So if you have Corrin battle Oboro in Chapter 10, the two will share a special dialogue. I don't remember the exact wording, but in went along the lines of something like this:

Oboro: "Oh, you must be Corrin. I'm Oboro. Normally, I'd protect you since I'm one of Takumi's retainers, but since you're fighting with Nohr, I have to take you out to protect Takumi."

Corrin: "Yeah, I understand... what's with the angry face?"

Oboro: "Oh, that's just my face whenever I have to deal with a Nohrian."

Corrin: "So strange."

Being aware of her backstory, I was expecting her to be blow up with rage with that "Nohrian scum" attitude like Takumi has in that chapter, but to see her be casual to Corrin in their first encounter in Chapter 10 surprised me. Looking back though, it kind of makes sense. She can control her Nohrian hatred, as shown in her supports with Silas. I haven't paired the her and Silas together, but I looked up their conversation. When Silas invites her to train in their C-Support, she tells him that she'd prefer not to because she would end up killing him. In the following supports, however, she warms up and realizes not all Nohrians are as evil as she thought they were.

I'm still early in Conquest, currently on Chapter 12 to be exact, though after reading your comment, something tells me she won't be that approachable when I'll meet her again later in the game when I have to face Takumi again.

I guess you could say finding out Oboro placing high in the popularity poll is similar to learning Takumi was the 3rd most popular male. If you play Conquest only, it would obviously be a complete surprise to see Takumi place that high because you'd probably think to yourself, "How on earth did this absolute douche place that high on the popularity poll?" Then, you play through Birthright and you learn more about Takumi's character to the point that it makes sense why people like him. Heck, I will admit he's one of my favorite characters in all of Fates, to the point that I'd probably go into a big paragraph talking about why I like him. Oboro is in a similar boat. Perhaps on one route, she doesn't look like someone that you wouldn't expect to win the hearts of fans, but then you play another route and you learn why she placed so high.

As for the other details: I can tell you that poor Lobster Lord was the 6th most popular male character in the popularity poll, while Azura was the unlucky 5th most popular female character. So close to the top 4, I know. Regarding the official artwork, yeah, I too am surprised it's taking a while. I'd love to see official art for Kaden, Arthur, Kaze, and Niles. Right now, the closest you'll get to see full-body art, aside from Fire Emblem Cipher, are those scans from that 4-koma book, which are pretty good, but I'd prefer to see Yusuke Kozaki's take on them.
Oh, so she's not as bad as I thought then

But I like Taco Meat too
Before the game released, I thought he was just a racist asshole who can't trust anyone
But after playing Conquest and reading about him, I realixe he's a flawed, deep and relatable character
FB_IMG_1457536761491.jpg

Kinda hard to not relate to him

Sure he's a **** to Corrin early on but he's just jealous of all the attention they get, considering the rest of the Hoshido royal family have been only caring about finding Corrin all these years, he kind of got neglected

Sure he may be a **** to Azura despite being with her for years but he just doesn't want act like she is a "Replacement Goldfish" for Corrin

And yeah, he sort of tries to kill you two or three times in Conquest but he was traumatized by his mother's death and you'd be pretty pissed with your sibling if theg abandoned your family right after your mother died

All in all, he's probably one of my favorite characters from Fates
And that isn't an easy feat because I don't think there was a single PC that I didn't like in Conquest

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
See, here's how I see it:

Surprise to no one Smash has two fanbases, casual and competitive. Oh sure this may pointing out the obvious, but you'd be surprised just how many people tend to forget that split. Which is why that idiotic war continues on to this day, but I digress.

As such, you're dealing with two equally unpleasable fanbases that want Mr. Head Honcho to appeal to only their needs. And which one do you go with?

Do you go with the fanbase that thinks people should just "get gud" and "play the game seriously" even though most don't (and really shouldn't need to) give two craps about learning the cancellings and the trip slidings.

Or do you go with the fanbase that thinks that Sakurai -- and it's always Sakurai; The dev team doesn't exist apparently -- should eradicate every little bug or "OP" attack the game has. But that's not how to make a metagame now is it? It just reverts to another shapeless mass and that just gets us nowhere.

And while sure these are very extreme versions of the two, my point is both have a voice. You can't just ignore one fanbase in favor of another. I mean hell you can't simply plug your ears and hope they go away, you gotta appeal to them somehow as irritating as both can be.

So sure some of the patch designs can be stupid, but keep in mind it's not like they're being nerfed left and right for no reason. It became an issue when people made it an issue.
It's not just casuals that are skewing it, either.

Under a division this simple it'd be difficult to define where they stand, or at least difficult for people to ADMIT where they stand, so I'm going to put them in their own little group.

Tryhards.

If there's one group that has likely singlehandedly done the most damage, it's the people who half-listen to what more dedicated players have to say, pick top tiers because they think a character being at the top of the tier list makes that character an insta-win button, and John every time they lose to anything ever by calling the character OP.

These people are simply too invested in the meta to be casuals and too utterly missing the point to be competitives.

D

Deleted member

This is it, I give up
**** FE6
It's just not fun, the story is boring, the characters are one dimensional, the FE7 ones just can't be enjoyed without playing that first, Hector is dead, reinforcements are bull****, maps are way too big and long, units are way too weak and Hector is dead. Did I also mention that Hector is ****ing dead

So what's the point?
My main motivation was to beat the **** out of Zephiel but I'm not torturing myself through 20+ chapters just to have Roy ****ing die because he's a terrible unit and character
A shame Roy's animations are cool, stabbing people in the face is fun and his promoted animations are even better but they are wasted on him

I'd rather play Solo Tharja Awakening on Lunatic+ than this
/EndRant
My point is, since I want to give a break on Fates, does anyone know about any good GBA FE hacks?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There are so many wrong ways that could be taken.
"Junior...Where did Mama Peach touch you?
This is it, I give up
**** FE6
It's just not fun, the story is boring, the characters are one dimensional, the FE7 ones just can't be enjoyed without playing that first, Hector is dead, reinforcements are bull****, maps are way too big and long, units are way too weak and Hector is dead. Did I also mention that Hector is ****ing dead

So what's the point?
My main motivation was to beat the **** out of Zephiel but I'm not torturing myself through 20+ chapters just to have Roy ****ing die because he's a terrible unit and character
A shame Roy's animations are cool, stabbing people in the face is fun and his promoted animations are even better but they are wasted on him

/EndRant
My point is, since I want to give a break on Fates, does anyone know about any good GBA FE hacks?
Q.Q I'M SO PROUD OF YOU SON

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not just casuals that are skewing it, either.

Under a division this simple it'd be difficult to define where they stand, or at least difficult for people to ADMIT where they stand, so I'm going to put them in their own little group.

Tryhards.

If there's one group that has likely singlehandedly done the most damage, it's the people who half-listen to what more dedicated players have to say, pick top tiers because they think a character being at the top of the tier list makes that character an insta-win button, and John every time they lose to anything ever by calling the character OP.

These people are simply too invested in the meta to be casuals and too utterly missing the point to be competitives.
And this place is full of 'em.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
And this place is full of 'em.
I don't think I've seen a single person like that here. If anything I've seen a disdain towards competitive players for bad reasoning.

The "tryhards" he described aren't even that abundant. They'll usually get downvoted on Reddit or flamed on Smashboards. Playing a Top Tier to win is 100% okay.

D

Deleted member

"Junior...Where did Mama Peach touch you?

Q.Q I'M SO PROUD OF YOU SON
THAT'S NOT A FE HACK NAME
I NEED TO PLAY SOMETHING GOOD
But what did you expect? It's not subjective that Roy is a bland characters

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This is it, I give up
**** FE6

So what's the point?

/EndRant
Funny, I hardly had any problems in my playthrough of FE6 minus Ch.14 and Ch. 21 which were hard as hell to beat. Roy's late promotion hurts him for sure though I don't find him nearly as bad as some make him out to be. You need to use all your units effectively and not just your lord unit.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't think I've seen a single person like that here. If anything I've seen a disdain towards competitive players for bad reasoning.

The "tryhards" he described aren't even that abundant. They'll usually get downvoted on Reddit or flamed on Smashboards. Playing a Top Tier to win is 100% okay.
I was more referring to Smashboards in general.

But there is definitely a bit of it on this thread and it's mostly accepted.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Funny, I hardly had any problems in my playthrough of FE6 minus Ch.14 and Ch. 21 which were hard as hell to beat. Roy's late promotion hurts him for sure though I don't find him nearly as bad as some make him out to be. You need to use all your units effectively and not just your lord unit.
Zoroarking's precious rants imply he DOESN'T only use Roy, but still struggled. Not to mention he effectively used Nino in FE7.
Speaking of Zoroarking
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57627
Dust to Dust, an FE RWBY hack

D

Deleted member

Zoroarking's precious rants imply he DOESN'T only use Roy, but still struggled. Not to mention he effectively used Nino in FE7.
Speaking of Zoroarking
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57627
Dust to Dust, an FE RWBY hack
Nino isn't that hard to use
Because, you know, she can hit things
And not get criitted every two seconds
Unlike the entire cast of 6

That looks sweet, I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I learn how to patch GBA roms

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

That looks sweet, I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I learn how to patch GBA roms
Est units aren't worth the grind imo as other characters are better with the equal amount of grinding, so I can't use Ests well

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's true to an extent though FE6 is generally a few steps harder than FE7. I think that might have been one of the reason why FE6 wasn't released internationally. Their was actually plans for FE6 to be released internationally at one point. Funny because that would mean that Western and International gamers would first be exposed to Roy's game before Marth's game.

Speaking of which, I outta replay both FE7 and FE6 sometime in the near future. I played both games last year but didn't do the Gaiden chapters which I intend on doing this time round.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's true to an extent though FE6 is generally a few steps harder than FE7. I think that might have been one of the reason why FE6 wasn't released internationally. Their was actually plans for FE6 to be released internationally at one point. Funny because that would mean that Western and International gamers would first be exposed to Roy's game before Marth's game.

Speaking of which, I outta replay both FE7 and FE6 sometime in the near future. I played both games last year but didn't do the Gaiden chapters which I intend on doing this time round.
If a game's idea of challenge is making you weaker than a fetus and pits you against a tank, that's bad design. Also, FE7 Cog of Destiny is considered one of the hardest chapters in the franchise from what I hear
Can I have a source on FE6 localization? I know FE4 was planned, but not 6

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If a game's idea of challenge is making you weaker than a fetus and pits you against a tank, that's bad design. Also, FE7 Cog of Destiny is considered one of the hardest chapters in the franchise from what I hear
I'll have to dig for that article on this site. I remember reading that back when the Roy Support thread was active last year.

TOP LEL

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/03/16/jared-fogle-prison-fight-beating/

This is the greatest thing I've heard this week. It's so hilarious and feels so right
SOB deserves everything that's coming to him. Glad to see he's getting his comeuppance.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

What format is the patch in?

To my knowledge, most GBA hacks can be patched with lunar ips( this comes with most visual boys), or NUPS, which you can download. You take the patch, open the program, browse under "select file to patch" choose your FE game. Then when it stays select the patch, find the patch and click on it, and it should work right away.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'll have to dig for that article on this site. I remember reading that back when the Roy Support thread was active last year.

SOB deserves everything that's coming to him. Glad to see he's getting his comeuppance.
If you remember the username of the guy/gal who linked the article, use the search feature. All google gave me was how a unit's name got changed in his Brawl sticker and how Brawl and Awakening use Binding Blade as a name. And I remember hearing localization was kept in mind for FE7

D

Deleted member

TOP LEL

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/03/16/jared-fogle-prison-fight-beating/

This is the greatest thing I've heard this week. It's so hilarious and feels so right
Eh, that's more so getting the karma he deserves rather than funny.

Now what I found funny this week? The republican debate has literally turned into a **** measuring contest. :p As in a canidate called Donald Trump's **** small, and of course, Donald Trump had to assure America it's big....

The future of politics....

Oh wait, this is still sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Est units aren't worth the grind imo as other characters are better with the equal amount of grinding, so I can't use Ests well
That just ain't true
My Nino was gdtfing almost perfect level ups in FE7 and destroyed everything after promoting, including Limstella and dealing the final blow on Nergal
Also, she's too cute and precious to not allow her to take her revenge on Nergal personally

Also, the download in that thread didn't work
I downloaded it but it says there is no file present
Enemy phase reinforcements
All I have to say

Cog of Destiny isn't that hard, but it's fun and challenging
Balanced amount of enemies that are thrown at you, all of varied classes and a great boss on top of it
What format is the patch in?

To my knowledge, most GBA hacks can be patched with lunar ips( this comes with most visual boys), or NUPS, which you can download. You take the patch, open the program, browse under "select file to patch" choose your FE game. Then when it stays select the patch, find the patch and click on it, and it should work right away.
I've been trying, maybe it's the patch that I downloaded isn't working but it either results in a white screen or just going to FE7 normally

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Hiya, kids. Long time, no see!

I've been away for the past month-and-a-half due to my personal life being unusually busy. Specifically, I moved to a new place.

My Notifications are loaded with messages from the end of last month. I'm going to respond despite them being old, because they were specifically addressed to me.

Burb Burb ,
I've been wanting to do that for some time... Sorry about that... :p

But I hope you're feeling alright @Kenith. Get better. :)
Told me what, exactly? That Geno would be playable?

Because he's still not, and I was right in the end. I said he'd be a Mii Costume at best, and that's what happened. All I did was overestimate how much of a no-hoper he was.

In fact, the news actually proved that I was right about something else; that Mii Costumes were meant to be consolation prizes. Something I stated repeatedly ever since the Mii Fighter costume wave with K. Rool and Chrom hit.

When I first heard about Geno from Push this morning I couldn't wait to talk about it. I immediately thought of Burb Burb

I feel bad for him. Geno support is going to come back for Smash 5. He may even get put in. Poor guy. He really hates Geno fans.
I still don't think Geno will ever be playable in Smash Bros. Even if he was put into consideration, the fact remains that he didn't make the cut. While plenty of formerly scrapped characters have wound up making the roster in later iterations, there's still quite a lot of characters who ended up never getting used. Also keep in mind that the list of characters who were put into consideration includes James Bond.

Geno's fanbase was never my most hated for SSB4, by the way. Pre-release, it was Ridley's fanbase. For DLC, it was Shantae's. The only time I really was annoyed by the Geno fanbase was before Brawl, when it was at its absolute height. The only Geno fan I've had multiple run-ins with over SSB4 was Geno Boost.

Burb Burb needed to be brought into the world somehow.
You're awesome and I love you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nevermind, I'm dumb, UPS and IPS are two different things
I downloaded the IPS patcher and the patchs I downloaded were using UPS
The second one came with UPS patcher so it was easy from there
Now, let's take a look at... "The Last Promise" and "Lost Bloodlines"? Geez, these names are edgier than a 13-year old weeb
But I've seen some of the animations before so these gotta be good, right?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That just ain't true
My Nino was gdtfing almost perfect level ups in FE7 and destroyed everything after promoting, including Limstella and dealing the final blow on Nergal
Also, she's too cute and precious to not allow her to take her revenge on Nergal personally

Also, the download in that thread didn't work
I downloaded it but it says there is no file present

Enemy phase reinforcements
All I have to say

Cog of Destiny isn't that hard, but it's fun and challenging
Balanced amount of enemies that are thrown at you, all of varied classes and a great boss on top of it

I've been trying, maybe it's the patch that I downloaded isn't working but it either results in a white screen or just going to FE7 normally
Does your FE rom work regularly? You may need a specific version for the patch. If that doesn't work, the patch may be wrong, or there may be another issue that the thread the rom's in would be able to fix.
But those first two are usually the cause of errors.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Speaking of Killer Instinct, I mentioned the idea of having a Fable character being playable a few days ago, but didn't know who. I think I found a good choice. The main antagonist of the first game.
He looks bad ass as ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom