• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
No it isn't. It's a noob tier mistake to make against Rosalina.

The Charizard had ample time to shield, dodge, or just hit Luma, but instead, decided to try and run towards Rosalina even though she would have easily been able to avoid any possible aerial option he has (because Charizard's aerial options are ****, especially off-stage, and Rosalina excels in the air, even without Luma).

It seriously bugs me that people still complain about Rosalina just because they don't comprehend how to handle her main gimmick, yet don't do the same with other characters who have just as ridiculous "**** you for landing a hit on me" gimmicks (like Little Mac being able to resist anything except grabs at any percent as long as he is throwing out a Smash Attack).

People need to stop calling Rosalina & Luma broken just because they can't adapt.

Like seriously, the best comparison I can make is, when you are playing a 3D action game like DMC or Bayonetta, do you just simply focus your attention on a single enemy until they are defeated without dodging or blocking, even when a bunch of others are surrounding you and are about to hit you? No, you don't, because that will get you nowhere and you will never win the game that way.

So take that same approach with Rosalina & Luma. You're fighting two characters at once. Adapt to that and don't carelessly ignore one of them.

If you think fighting Rosalina & Luma is ridiculous for this, have fun playing All-Star Mode in this game, it's literally this except with 4 different characters at once.
Honestly, Luma is ridiculous.
You are just really biased, lol.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly, Luma is ridiculous.
You are just really biased, lol.
Luma would be ridiculous if plenty of other aspects other characters had weren't ridiculous too. Remember how Sakurai said he wanted to do his best to make "everyone feel powerful"?

You guys complaining about Luma like this are the biased ones. You don't want to adapt and admit to your own poor plays, and so, decide to blame the game mechanic and channel that anger towards a fictional character with that mechanic. Ye are biased towards yourselves, because ye probably don't have anything else to have pride in except for your Smash play.

Smash 4 fandom in a nutshell.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:4sonic::4megaman: and to a lesser extent :4pacman: are the only third-parties that prior to their involvement with Nintendo themselves were seen as "Nintendo-y", or at least choices that would mesh well with the existing series in Smash.

Though after back to back to back :4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta2: it's not like the "non-Nintendo-y" argument really holds much water anymore, at least as far as video game characters even remotely related to Nintendo goes.

Though Bond would still be in a different category, and tbh for all intensive purposes has lost most of his connection to Nintendo in the eyes of the public pretty much after Brosnan left the role.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Here's some cool mods!

Oh and the whole BIas thing.

I could care less about the smash meta. My post was a joke. I play as whoever I want to.

If Iose, oh well, if I win, then nice! I just practice to get better, but I'm not super competitive.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Luma would be ridiculous if plenty of other aspects other characters had weren't ridiculous too. Remember how Sakurai said he wanted to do his best to make "everyone feel powerful"?

You guys complaining about Luma like this are the biased ones. You don't want to adapt and admit to your own poor plays, and so, decide to blame the game mechanic and channel that anger towards a fictional character with that mechanic. Ye are biased towards yourselves, because ye probably don't have anything else to have pride in except for your Smash play.

I get what you're saying, but you really are coming off as biased man.

And this is from someone who doesn't mind Luma.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You don't want to adapt and admit to your own poor plays, and so, decide to blame the game mechanic and channel that anger towards a fictional character with that mechanic.
Reminds me when some guy in the Mewtwo social blamed the game and called Ganondorf OP just because he has great strength.
And when he also said Captain Falcon was OP.
And Little Mac... And Bowser... And FREAKING DONKEY KONG.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

1. So characters like Bayonetta or Cloud being ridiculous make Luma normal? K.

2. I'm not angry at all, it's a videogame, I'm just saying the truth.

3. "Ye are biased towards yourselves, because ye probably don't have anything else to have pride in except for your Smash play."
Excuse me?
You know nothing about me, lol.

Rosalina fanboy in a nutshell.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Here's some cool mods!

I could care less about the smash meta. My post was a joke. I play as whoever I want to.

If Iose, oh well, if I win, then nice! I just practice to get better, but I'm not super competitive.

Whaaaaat are the chances?

And regarding the rest of your post, I knew you were joking, but it was one of those things I know a lot of people seriously feel, and for no good reason. As was demonstrated after your post.

It's mostly not even a competitive Smash problem. It mostly stems from the "wannabe competitive" players. Like, the ones who just play For Glory and don't study the game, only get angry when they lose and ask for nerfs for the character they lost against.

Smash 4 fandom is just **** in every aspect, from speculation to actual discussion of the game itself and the meta.

1. So characters like Bayonetta or Cloud being ridiculous make Luma normal? K.

2. I'm not angry at all, it's a videogame, I'm just saying the truth.

3. "Ye are biased towards yourselves, because ye probably don't have anything else to have pride in except for your Smash play."
Excuse me?
You know nothing about me, lol.

Rosalina fanboy in a nutshell.
1) ....Yes, actually. Remember Brawl Minus? Smash 4 is kinda like a less extreme version of that. If everyone is special, then nobody is. That's basic common sense.

2) If it's the truth, prove it with objective evidence, please.

3) And I really don't want to if you react to every character you don't like and complain about them being OP.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just had a closer look at the new Mystery Mushroom costumes and I kinda just noticed this....

Is Balloon Fighter doing the "Directly" pose for his appeal here?
Oh gods, please no, I can't take this
It's funny how fast ChikoLad ChikoLad replies and tries to shut down any Rosalina criticism. :laugh:
I mean, I can't blame him
If anyone ever insulted my waifu or husband, they'd be dead in seconds

Here's some cool mods!

I like the fact that it's Duck Hunt with pants more than it is Banjo

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Luma is a little bit of nonsense but no one plays as Rosalina in my Smash circle so it doesn't really bother me. And even if they did, it's not that awful that it would really ruin the game for anyone, so whatever.

And ChikoLad ChikoLad isn't Rosalina biased in the same way Admiral Pit isn't Palutena biased and Chrono isn't Ridley biased. :p

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/07/mii-fighters/

Sakurai said:
However the biggest reason for the inclusion of Miis was because “anyone can join.” I know that having even a single character be playable in Smash is very important to those fans. I get requests from fans all over the world. With no regard for things like production costs, copyright, and even requests for characters that aren’t in games. Even if it is impossible, that these fans want those characters to be playable in Smash is a real desire.

aren’t in games: Requests for characters from Attack on Titan or Dragonball, for example. The younger the fans are, the more unrealistic the requests get.
While I can't necessarily speak for any hypothetical Sakurai replacement, I'm pretty sure judging by a comment made here that non-video game characters most likely aren't going to happen regardless of how mind blowing you found the three third party DLC characters to be.

As for characters that have not been on Nintendo systems, I would suggest looking at the same set of comments about Cloud that make people think "anything is possible" again:

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Sakurai said:
I might have had misgivings if Cloud had never appeared on a Nintendo console in any form, though.
While it's not a 100% disconfirmation, I don't think this says the best things for the chances of characters like Master Chief.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I get what you're saying, but you really are coming off as biased man.

And this is from someone who doesn't mind Luma.
It's not biased when I'm pointing out objective flaws in the argument and have done for other characters just as much (like how called bull**** at people for calling Corrin and Bayonetta OP).

But of course you guys only remember the times when I point out flaws in arguments regarding Rosalina so you can bitterly come back one day and say "BLUH YOU'RE BEING OBSESSED AND TOO SRS". Selective memory is beautiful. People seem to do that to me a lot on forums (if not for Rosalina, for something else, and I see it done to others too), and I'd suggest not doing it anymore. It's incredibly annoying when people specifically only pick one thing to remember about you for no reason just so they can obnoxiously bring it up in a bitter fashion ages down the line.

Lol?

You're taking this way too personally if you are saying people having nothing to be proud for in their lives.
I'm exaggerating a bit for sassy effect obviously, but it's actually an attitude I've kinda seen frequently in the "tryhard" part of the fandom. People get so whiny about certain characters in this game and what not because they literally have nothing better to do and make their whole life revolve around the game.

You can see it a lot in other similar communities, like MMO communities.

And ChikoLad ChikoLad isn't Rosalina biased in the same way Admiral Pit isn't Palutena biased and Chrono isn't Ridley biased. :p
Except I'm really not that biased.

I always try to be objective as I can with my arguments with anything.

I have biases towards Rosalina but they never come up in these discussions as they are irrelevant.

Maybe me even trying to shoot down arguments and misinformation about the character is a "bias", but we all do this, it's how discussions start. As long as you keep it objective or at least make solid points, it should be fine. Heck, I just don't like misinformation and misconceptions and buzzword claims in general, regardless of the topic. I think I've made that abundantly clear by now, it's not just a Rosalina thing or something.

-----

Also I'd also like to make one fairly big complaint:

Regardless of whether or not I point out strengths, or weaknesses, of Rosalina - regardless of whether not I'm saying "she's not OP", or "she's not a low tier character", I get called "biased" either way.

Same applies to stuff about the actual character. Point out strengths and positive traits about the character, it's waifufagging. Point out things that might bother me about her portrayal when they happen, it's still bias.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to satisfy.

You guys are just totally unreasonable sometimes. Not just this thread, but Smashboards in general.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
It's not biased when I'm pointing out objective flaws in the argument and have done for other characters just as much (like how called bull**** at people for calling Corrin and Bayonetta OP).

But of course you guys only remember the times when I point out flaws in arguments regarding Rosalina so you can bitterly come back one day and say "BLUH YOU'RE BEING OBSESSED AND TOO SRS". Selective memory is beautiful. People seem to do that to me a lot on forums (if not for Rosalina, for something else, and I see it done to others too), and I'd suggest not doing it anymore. It's incredibly annoying when people specifically only pick one thing to remember about you for no reason just so they can obnoxiously bring it up in a bitter fashion ages down the line.

I'm exaggerating a bit for sassy effect obviously, but it's actually an attitude I've kinda seen frequently in the "tryhard" part of the fandom. People get so whiny about certain characters in this game and what not because they literally have nothing better to do and make their whole life revolve around the game.

You can see it a lot in other similar communities, like MMO communities.

Except I'm really not that biased.

I always try to be objective as I can with my arguments with anything.

I have biases towards Rosalina but they never come up in these discussions as they are irrelevant.

Maybe me even trying to shoot down arguments and misinformation about the character is a "bias", but we all do this, it's how discussions start. As long as you keep it objective or at least make solid points, it should be fine. Heck, I just don't like misinformation and misconceptions and buzzword claims in general, regardless of the topic. I think I've made that abundantly clear by now, it's not just a Rosalina thing or something.
Cut them some slack. Your avatar is Rosalina. Your signature is Rosalina (a rather... questionable choice of a Rosalina sig to add), and you mention Rosalina a crap ton of times. You can't expect people NOT to associate you with Rosalina to that extent.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There is a difference between exaggerating and outright insulting people
I was making a general, rant statement, I wasn't aiming it at one specific person.

I once got told by a moderator that this didn't count as an insult, when his friend did it to me.

So damn right I can do it too.

Cut them some slack. Your avatar is Rosalina. Your signature is Rosalina (a rather... questionable choice of a Rosalina sig to add), and you mention Rosalina a crap ton of times. You can't expect people NOT to associate you with Rosalina to that extent.
>Sports leotards and gymnastics are lewd now

This is why gamers will never be taken seriously as grown people and the general public will always view them as chauvinistic man children.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
>Sports leotards and gymnastics are lewd now

This is why gamers will never be taken seriously as grown people and the general public will always view them as chauvinistic man children.
Dude, I never said it was lewd. I just called it questionable. And that wasn't even part of my main point. Also, that last sentence makes it hard for me to take YOU seriously.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's enough from everyone here. Drop it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, like how I never try to bring up EO even when it has nothing to do with the subject at hand
Wait, ****
EDIT: Spoiler'd because it was taking up a lot of real estate and I know some people won't care about this anyway.

This is a social thread.

There is no constant discussion topic.

The entire point is just to bring up whatever.

I actually refrain from bringing up Rosalina, only do so when I think I have something interesting to say or a new announcement regarding her happened, or someone else brings her up anyway (the most common one).

And for the record, my Rosalina related posts seem to generate more likes (I don't care about likes but they serve as a piece of evidence for what posts people enjoy from me, handy for just this situation), and more discussion, than anything else I post.

Remember when I was getting into and trying to discuss Shovel Knight?
Codename STEAM?
Yoshi's Woolly Word?
Freedom Planet?
Various anime?
Trying to engage and find new interests like Fire Emblem and Pokémon and stuff (which often resulted in me being attacked by elitists for those things in this thread)?
etc?

And remember how I made that one non-Rosalina drawing for someone in this thread? Remember what it was? Because it barely got any attention, while my Rosalina ones did.

Barely anybody cares when I post anything else. The posts barely get any likes (which to me is an indication of how much people care to a degree) and don't generate discussion. But Rosalina apparently does, no matter the context.

So the reason why I discuss Rosalina more than anything else in this thread, is the same reason Nintendo makes more Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon than anything else - it's what most people seem to want from me. Otherwise, they don't care much.

That's my final word on this.

TL;DR - stop singling aspects of me out when it suits you guys to do so, stop singling me out for doing the same things you guys do and are supposed to be acceptable by the threads very nature (more than I do in fact - I work now, and use a lot of my free time to play games or draw and what not, and have been busy with other stuff too - I don't post here nearly as much), and if you guys really don't want me to talk about a particular subject, don't give the posts of mine with that subject the most positive attention out of all my posts.

For a social thread, this thread has a lot of social problems. Not much better than what became of the now locked Rosalina social.

I know Opossum Opossum said to drop it but I started typing this before he said so and because I feel like this is something I feel needs to be said, I'm posting this. I don't feel it applies to me exclusively. I recall having to defend BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 when ye targeted her like this regarding Undertale and Yokai-Watch, even though she is always enlightening in her posts regarding them. Oher examples exist that was a fairly recent one.

I'm really not obsessive or biased towards Rosalina or anything else - you guys just decide to be biased and make up irrational things about certain users when it suits.

That's all, hopefully people will take something from this, for once. Moving on.

---------------

SomecallmeJohnny moved house.

Johnny In The House spin-off game confirmed?

It's legitimately amazing to see him come so far. This was relevant for me as I have really been wanting to move too.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Looks like I am going with this roster for playing against my friend

Tauros: Body Slam/Hyper Beam/Earthquake/Blizzard
Persian: Slash/Bubblebeam/Thunderbolt/Hyper Beam
Clefable: Psychic/Blizzard/Fire Blast/Sing
Snorlax: Hyper Beam/Earthquake/Rest/Body Slam
Dodrio: Tri Attack/Body Slam/Hyper Beam/Drill Peck
Chansey: Thunder Wave/Soft-Boiled/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is splatoon worth it...

I'm considering buying it with my gift card

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Whaaaaat are the chances?

And regarding the rest of your post, I knew you were joking, but it was one of those things I know a lot of people seriously feel, and for no good reason. As was demonstrated after your post.

It's mostly not even a competitive Smash problem. It mostly stems from the "wannabe competitive" players. Like, the ones who just play For Glory and don't study the game, only get angry when they lose and ask for nerfs for the character they lost against.

Smash 4 fandom is just **** in every aspect, from speculation to actual discussion of the game itself and the meta.

1) ....Yes, actually. Remember Brawl Minus? Smash 4 is kinda like a less extreme version of that. If everyone is special, then nobody is. That's basic common sense.

2) If it's the truth, prove it with objective evidence, please.

3) And I really don't want to if you react to every character you don't like and complain about them being OP.
Your username is really common it seems! I see it often. And alright, I just wanted to add that to my previous post.

Oh and @Zoroarking forgot to multi quote you, but

Duck Hunt with pants is actually pretty good lol.
Is splatoon worth it...

I'd say so.

If you like shooters, you may like splatoon, even if you don't like them, you may like.

the game's theme helps make it stand out and be well received, so it's really up to you.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I just feel like mentioning that recently I've picked up Rosalina as a troll character to intentionally try to piss off my smash buddies....

It works very well mind you...lol

If you have good wifi, buy it.
If not, you pretty much wasted money.
(Not that Splatoon is a bad game, sucky wi-fi means I can't play the mode the game is mainly focused on.)
Splatoon's singleplayer is amazing and I refuse to believe otherwise.

All that mobility. An awesome Speedrunning game as well because of it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Splatoon's singleplayer is amazing and I refuse to believe otherwise.

All that mobility. An awesome Speedrunning game as well because of it.
It looks real fun (haven't played it yet) but 5 or 6 hours of game time like that isn't going to be worth more than $10 to most people if that's all they get out of it. And good luck finding the game for $10.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Splatoon's single player campaign is worth it for the final boss alone. Probably the best final boss I fought in years.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Is splatoon worth it...

Solid online muliplayer pretty much like most online shooters cept with a different coat of paint (harhar)...crappy offline multiplayer...
A very solid single player mode...has some great platforming and fun (albeit easy) bossfights...
Character customization is pretty fun in the game as well...

D

Deleted member

EDIT: Spoiler'd because it was taking up a lot of real estate and I know some people won't care about this anyway.

This is a social thread.

There is no constant discussion topic.

The entire point is just to bring up whatever.

I actually refrain from bringing up Rosalina, only do so when I think I have something interesting to say or a new announcement regarding her happened, or someone else brings her up anyway (the most common one).

And for the record, my Rosalina related posts seem to generate more likes (I don't care about likes but they serve as a piece of evidence for what posts people enjoy from me, handy for just this situation), and more discussion, than anything else I post.

Remember when I was getting into and trying to discuss Shovel Knight?
Codename STEAM?
Yoshi's Woolly Word?
Freedom Planet?
Various anime?
Trying to engage and find new interests like Fire Emblem and Pokémon and stuff (which often resulted in me being attacked by elitists for those things in this thread)?
etc?

And remember how I made that one non-Rosalina drawing for someone in this thread? Remember what it was? Because it barely got any attention, while my Rosalina ones did.

Barely anybody cares when I post anything else. The posts barely get any likes (which to me is an indication of how much people care to a degree) and don't generate discussion. But Rosalina apparently does, no matter the context.

So the reason why I discuss Rosalina more than anything else in this thread, is the same reason Nintendo makes more Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon than anything else - it's what most people seem to want from me. Otherwise, they don't care much.

That's my final word on this.

TL;DR - stop singling aspects of me out when it suits you guys to do so, stop singling me out for doing the same things you guys do and are supposed to be acceptable by the threads very nature (more than I do in fact - I work now, and use a lot of my free time to play games or draw and what not, and have been busy with other stuff too - I don't post here nearly as much), and if you guys really don't want me to talk about a particular subject, don't give the posts of mine with that subject the most positive attention out of all my posts.

For a social thread, this thread has a lot of social problems. Not much better than what became of the now locked Rosalina social.

I know Opossum Opossum said to drop it but I started typing this before he said so and because I feel like this is something I feel needs to be said, I'm posting this. I don't feel it applies to me exclusively. I recall having to defend BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 when ye targeted her like this regarding Undertale and Yokai-Watch, even though she is always enlightening in her posts regarding them. Oher examples exist that was a fairly recent one.

I'm really not obsessive or biased towards Rosalina or anything else - you guys just decide to be biased and make up irrational things about certain users when it suits.

That's all, hopefully people will take something from this, for once. Moving on.

---------------

SomecallmeJohnny moved house.

Johnny In The House spin-off game confirmed?

It's legitimately amazing to see him come so far. This was relevant for me as I have really been wanting to move too.
My post wasn't about how you bring Rosalina up even when it's not related to the subject
It was referencing "I have biases towards Rosalina but they never come up in these discussions as they are irrelevant."
It was only a joke so calm down
Your username is really common it seems! I see it often. And alright, I just wanted to add that to my previous post.

Oh and @Zoroarking forgot to multi quote you, but

Duck Hunt with pants is actually pretty good lol.

I'd say so.

If you like shooters, you may like splatoon, even if you don't like them, you may like.

the game's theme helps make it stand out and be well received, so it's really up to you.
Duck Pants?
Pants Hunt?
I dunno, pretty sure @Con0rrrr can come up with something better as he likes this kind of stuff
#FreePikaPants

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My post wasn't about how you bring Rosalina up even when it's not related to the subject
It was referencing "I have biases towards Rosalina but they never come up in these discussions as they are irrelevant."
It was only a joke so calm down

Duck Pants?
Pants Hunt?
I dunno, pretty sure @Con0rrrr can come up with something better as he likes this kind of stuff
#FreePikaPants
It was kinda hard to tell since the wording was awkward.

Regardless, don't know why you wanted to continue that.

Your post served as enough of a jumping off point and my post wasn't really for you specifically.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My impatience for news of Pikmin 4 grows ever so much.

I believe Miyamoto said it was "very close to completion" if that's true, why hold off on so much as one other little teaser for so long? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom