• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Why are you guys talking about reptilians?

No really, why the reptilians?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Just out of curiosity...

apart from VGM and other soundtracks which I'm sure many peeps here are a fan of...what other music do you guys like listening to?

I'm more of a hard rock/metal kind of guy, but I can listen to other things if my ears don't bleed (which eliminates most mainstream music lol), I'm also a fan of some classic rock as well as a little bit of electronica...
Hard Rock/Metal
-Linkin Park
-KoRn
-Nine Inch Nails
-Disturbed
-Tool
-Metallica
-Alice In Chains
-Faith No More
-System of a Down
-Nightwish
-Epica
-Foo Fighters

Classic Rock
-Led Zeppelin
-AC/DC
-Queen
-Foreigner
-Eric Clapton
-Deep Purple
-The Who

Other stuff
-Gorillaz
-The Prodigy
-Daft Punk
-Blur

----

Also this....
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm thinking it's Crash Bandicoot...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity...

apart from VGM and other soundtracks which I'm sure many peeps here are a fan of...what other music do you guys like listening to?

I'm more of a hard rock/metal kind of guy, but I can listen to other things if my ears don't bleed (which eliminates most mainstream music lol), I'm also a fan of some classic rock as well as a little bit of electronica...
Hard Rock/Metal
-Linkin Park
-KoRn
-Nine Inch Nails
-Disturbed
-Tool
-Metallica
-Alice In Chains
-Faith No More
-System of a Down
-Nightwish
-Epica
-Foo Fighters

Classic Rock
-Led Zeppelin
-AC/DC
-Queen
-Foreigner
-Eric Clapton
-Deep Purple
-The Who

Other stuff
-Gorillaz
-The Prodigy
-Daft Punk
-Blur

----

Also this....
Please.
We know who it really is.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just out of curiosity...

Hard Rock/Metal
-Linkin Park
-KoRn
-Nine Inch Nails
-Disturbed
-Tool
-Metallica
-Alice In Chains
-Faith No More
-System of a Down
-Nightwish
-Epica
-Foo Fighters

Classic Rock
-Led Zeppelin
-AC/DC
-Queen
-Foreigner
-Eric Clapton
-Deep Purple
-The Who

Other stuff
-Gorillaz
-The Prodigy
-Daft Punk
-Blur

----

Also this....
I actually quite like most of those bands

Nightwish is a band I only recently heard of though, and I knew a girl that really liked it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm getting a bonus on this upcoming paycheck, so I think I'm going to buy pokemon yellow on my 3DS so I can trade with my N3DS

Burruni

Smash Hero
"I couldn't get into Birthright as much after Conquest because Hoshido felt a lot like an 'Awakening 2.0' for the good and bad that comes with that."
"I dunno I dun really see it."
"Well, part of it is just in that Birthright very much so plays to the kind of core story path for most FE games."
"How so?"
"Young royal prince mildly trained for combat -> family member is killed and/or country is overtaken by invading force -> young prince gathers an army of local previous allied and neutral countries to mount an invasion to kill the big bad invader, with a few turncoats of the "evil" nation -> someone serving the villain despite knowing that they're doing utter wrong through a sense of duty and tied to the protagonists' backstory that is one of the penultimate bosses -> there's a big dragon."
"....That can't really apply for much of the series."
"FE 1, 2, 3, 4 except there's no big dragon, 6, 7, 8 except the dragon is a demon king, kinda 9, 11, 12, and 13."

With this, my wait goes too tiresome and I wait for the morning to play the 3rd path.... and hopefully see some Gen 7 starters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I actually had an idea for an FE game where instead of the main conflict being against nations and stuff it's the main protagonist's brother who is driven in to insanity and manipulates the nations of the world in to fighting against each other to reach his end goal of obliterating all life in the universe (very vague description lol but basically it would be a lot different from the typical FE plotline).

It's sort of a fanfic idea that's almost like Fire Emblem meets Final Fantasy that I have. Might consider writing it one day.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I'm confused.

Is this a Caribbean guy trying to speak Engirsh?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I got a message today telling me about the live stream, linking to the MyNintendoNews post.

I know about the live stream, I wrote the original post MNN used. ;_;

...this is exactly why the "source" link is not enough credit.

I got MNN to at least add our Twitter link into the post, and within an hour we got 20+ followers.... Already up 70 followers total from a combination of that link and our tweet promoting the live stream translation (7 from that tweet).

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Uh Push...

Can you translate this properly? I just saw it show up on twitter and all I'm getting out of twitter's translate function is something about announcing some new Pokemon app and something about AI in a new world?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Uh Push...

Can you translate this properly? I just saw it show up on twitter and all I'm getting out of twitter's translate function is something about announcing some new Pokemon app and something about AI in a new world?
Serebii already has it up with a trailer. Pokemon Comaster or something.

Apparently it's a strategy game where you collect Pokemon.

Very unclear but looks okay.

2 mobile Pokemon games.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Based on a quick reading of the website you use figures (doesn't look like amiibo) to play a board game with an AI. It's a free to play app but it has micro transactions.

D

Deleted member

"I couldn't get into Birthright as much after Conquest because Hoshido felt a lot like an 'Awakening 2.0' for the good and bad that comes with that."
"Well, part of it is just in that Birthright very much so plays to the kind of core story path for most FE games."
"How so?"
"Young royal prince mildly trained for combat -> family member is killed and/or country is overtaken by invading force -> young prince gathers an army of local previous allied and neutral countries to mount an invasion to kill the big bad invader, with a few turncoats of the "evil" nation -> someone serving the villain despite knowing that they're doing utter wrong through a sense of duty and tied to the protagonists' backstory that is one of the penultimate bosses -> there's a big dragon."
"FE 1, 2, 3, 4 except there's no big dragon, 6, 7, 8 except the dragon is a demon king, kinda 9, 11, 12, and 13."

With this, my wait goes too tiresome and I wait for the morning to play the 3rd path.... and hopefully see some Gen 7 starters.
Yeah, that's usually how FE games go, but I'd take any of that over the mess that is Conquest's plot
But FE7 is not like that, sure there are some dragons but there's no war involved, the whole game's plot(at least the part that isn't a tutorial) revolves around the Black Fang
As for that character achetype of "not really evil but must do what for his/her country", it's the Camus archetype but they aren't always the penultimate boss nor are they even related to the main characters most of the time
FE8 has Selena but she shows up midgame in Ephraim's route and the best connection she has to him is that they probably met once when the continent was still in peace
FE7 has no such character due to it not having a war setting(unless you count Eagler, but he was forced to)
The closest it gets are Uhai(that fights you from his loyalty to the BF), Lloyd and Linus who really just try to kill you out of revenge
FE13 has its Camus fought 11 chapters

Besides, Tropes Are Tools and all they have to do is make them work
I mean, it worked for the Tellius games

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

I'm confused.

Is this a Caribbean guy trying to speak Engirsh?
Considering it's the OP song for a Japanese game, it's probably the typical broken English you hear a lot in anime and J-rock.

I can't listen to it right now, but considering the God Eater anime's OP song is almost entirely in English sung by a Japanese guy, I can easily imagine how it should sound. :p

I got a message today telling me about the live stream, linking to the MyNintendoNews post.

I know about the live stream, I wrote the original post MNN used. ;_;

...this is exactly why the "source" link is not enough credit.

I got MNN to at least add our Twitter link into the post, and within an hour we got 20+ followers.... Already up 70 followers total from a combination of that link and our tweet promoting the live stream translation (7 from that tweet).
I see MNN hasn't learned anything. :facepalm:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Toon Zelda and Tetra are both in? Bet Scamper52596 Scamper52596 would be happy to hear that.

Now where's my Ganon....
Gotta admit when I spotted that Tetra costume while they were showing off Mario Maker was probably my favorite moment in the Direct for me. Hopefully they'll go ahead and add Toon Zelda as her own Mystery Mushroom in a future update. They've already got the model done after all.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Man I hope Parasect gets a Mega Evo in Gen 7.

One of my favourite Pokemon ever and with Spore could be so dangerous.

Even let the mushroom take over and give it Bug/Ghost typing.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Stream starts in 30 mins. We'll be translating it on Twitter and make a recap as soon as the broadcast is over. Enjoy!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gotta admit when I spotted that Tetra costume while they were showing off Mario Maker was probably my favorite moment in the Direct for me. Hopefully they'll go ahead and add Toon Zelda as her own Mystery Mushroom in a future update. They've already got the model done after all.
They probably will, like you said, they already got the sprite design done and they will probably do the same thing as they did with Zelda and Sheik (Where they will transform into each other for their appeal) I do like the Minish Cap reference with her carrying the Hero's shield and all.
Stream starts in 30 mins. We'll be translating it on Twitter and make a recap as soon as the broadcast is over. Enjoy!
Cool, can't wait to hear what Sakurai has to say in this broadcast. ^^

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If Sakurai became a YouTube/Twitch streamer, I'd totally watch.

His ability to mess around in games is A+.

EDIT: lol he wave-dashed up the stairs in Dragon Quest Builders. :p

EDIT2:

I feel like this mentality would have been a factor in the inclusion of a number of Smash characters.

It's been one of my main theories as to why Rosalina is in the game.

She's easily one of the most beloved Nintendo characters at this point, but her fanbase has never been too vocal about it.

EDIT3:

He got a very cute and nice looking cake.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
9:34 am EST
No sign of Revelations
Nintendo, I know I'm gonna have to play it twice because I'm not waiting another month for Anna to play it the first time.
But that doesn't make this better

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
9:34 am EST
No sign of Revelations
Nintendo, I know I'm gonna have to play it twice because I'm not waiting another month for Anna to play it the first time.
But that doesn't make this better
They ususally update Eshop at 1 EST for most releases. Unless it's a big new game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
"How so?"

Am only on Chapter 20 in Birthright, but so far the story feels like a repeat of FE3 just with an expanded prologue and less sub-ploting/foreshadowing to the real villain.

I don't have much of a issue with repeating stories just so long as they do something new with it, which I think they have bar FE6 (which has the most boring story in the series IMO). FE4's plot twist I think is a perfect example of using the trope right.

That said, FE is probably the least guilty of plot tropes ironically compared to every other Nintendo series bar Xenoblade/IDK it's easy to stereotype things. lol

Burruni

Smash Hero
They ususally update Eshop at 1 EST for most releases. Unless it's a big new game.
THINGS I WAS UNAWARE OF

Am only on Chapter 20 in Birthright, but so far the story feels like a repeat of FE3 just with an expanded prologue and less sub-ploting/foreshadowing to the real villain.

I don't have much of a issue with repeating stories just so long as they do something new with it, which I think they have bar FE6 (which has the most boring story in the series IMO). FE4's plot twist I think is a perfect example of using the trope right.

That said, FE is probably the least guilty of plot tropes ironically compared to every other Nintendo series bar Xenoblade/IDK it's easy to stereotype things. lol
Yeah I was namely joking around with a friend when trying to explain why I enjoyed Conquest more than Birthright.
Using the same kind of skeleton for the story of course doesn't matter when you do things new with it; and Birthright and Awakening certainly stand different from eachother and the other games in the series.
Conquest was just more of a breath of fresh air in the variety in chapter design and writing as well as the fact that I straight up enjoyed more of Nohr's units' personalities.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last time I checked, didn't people enjoy Birthright's story more than Conquest's?

At least back when people found some severe flaws in the storytelling. Not that I disliked the story, but there are few parts I can easily do without.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah I was namely joking around with a friend when trying to explain why I enjoyed Conquest more than Birthright.
Using the same kind of skeleton for the story of course doesn't matter when you do things new with it; and Birthright and Awakening certainly stand different from eachother and the other games in the series.
Conquest was just more of a breath of fresh air in the variety in chapter design and writing as well as the fact that I straight up enjoyed more of Nohr's units' personalities.
That's good to hear, though so far my impressions of the Nohr units from Birthright are less than stellar bar the men.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Last time I checked, didn't people enjoy Birthright's story more than Conquest's?

At least back when people found some severe flaws in the storytelling. Not that I disliked the story, but there are few parts I can easily do without.
I think this is the case?
Maybe it is just in that I've played so much of the series that the changes both back to the harder and more varied objectives in missions alongside the different, but kinda rough story, was more enjoyable.
And I don't mean this just in the typical "lol casuals who only played Awakening cuz they can't handle a REAL game" mentality that's seen in the community far more than it should be. It's that going through even some of the games that predate official localization that a lot of the trends become more noticable.

While maybe not the best comparison, but I probably enjoyed Yokai Watch more than I arguably "should" have because of it just being something that shook up a fairly standard formula that Pokemon ran through even if that is a series I grew up and will continue to grow up with.

That's good to hear, though so far my impressions of the Nohr units from Birthright are less than stellar bar the men.
Maybe a sizable part of it just is that, past the Royal Brothers, the guys of Hoshido pretty much all fell very flat. Kaden being the best of the remaining 6 but the similarities to Keaton kinda washed out some of that originality.

That and that I have a tendency to enjoy the batcrap crazy kind of characters and Nohr gives a few that gladly will take that niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom