• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh hey, some people at The Spriters Resource has found out how to rip some (not all) of the new Mario Maker costumes.

For those who don't know, ripping the sprites from the game and software updates weren't a problem. But Nintendo started putting new costume data inside the save file rather than the patch (which hackers haven't cracked yet). The possible reason Nintendo doing this could be so no one can spoil surprises by digging through the game's coding (the :4feroy: :4ryu: thing could've been a contributor to this decision)

So The Spriters Resource now have costumes #001-101 & #132-143 ripped
Oh thanks for letting us know.

Well I guess if Toon Zelda doesn't have a Mario Maker sprite sheet yet, I'll make one myself. Pretty neat Minish Cap reference though, I might make a sprite sheet for Vaati and Ezlo too.....

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The fact the first thing Sakurai said about Bond was his guns tells us how important this is to Sakurai. The issue with the rights was undeniably huge. Yet he said guns first
I'm not calling Sakurai a liar or anything but I find that a bit weird with the Ray Gun being a staple item in Smash 64 and the Super Scope also being a staple item in Melee.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
lazer guns are obviously different from realistic firearms

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think there's simply an exception to Bayonetta just because she is the ballot winner.

In my view, it's more like the guns she uses and the way she uses them (in a weird fashion) don't resemble on how real-life guns are used.

The game is still E10+ after all, so the guns she uses must not be that bad.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not calling Sakurai a liar or anything but I find that a bit weird with the Ray Gun being a staple item in Smash 64 and the Super Scope also being a staple item in Melee.

Compare those to this
**** like that is unacceptable for a kids game
I don't think there's simply an exception to Bayonetta just because she is the ballot winner.

In my view, it's more like the guns she uses and the way she uses them (in a weird fashion) don't resemble on how real-life guns are used.
Bayonetta's Jab1 animation is a rather realistic way to use guns when using bullet arts

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still considered Bayon's guns real guns.

They didn't change the look, it shoots bullets in her games, and it appears to shoot them in this game.

I think what changes is she does it fast and they are design to not look exactly like bullets.

Doesn't change the fact that it's what she uses to murder thousands in her games.

Either way, the debate always goes in circles, and unless sakurai comments more on it, it will probably never have a concrete answer.

Burruni

Smash Hero
We've had fire arms that discharge energy.

No fire arms that shoot bullets in the standard sense. (edit: When you take the "retcon" for Love is Blue to be discharges of magic)

That's an ESRB thing and a mentality that Sakurai's taken to heart.

Just like how someone was stuck to his explosive tools.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
And good games to you too.

The problem about your Shulk is that your pulling the typical For Glory Shulk: Speed Art into all the Air attacks. His range was perfect for fending off my Mario and Wii Fit Trainer, which is why I decided to use Corrin. Long range and Dragon Fang Shot were effective in stopping your air attacks. You used the up tilt the most, but it was continuous, which allowed me to move away from it. For Ness, your main method was to try and grab me and follow with either Up Air of Forward Air, and multiple times. My Wii Fit Trainer was able to stop him because I managed to get close to you, combo you, and then get away before you could grab. Also, that thing with Ness where you drop down from the ledge and follow with an up air doesnt work on Corrin. It got you KOed multiple times. Your Cloud was good, it effectively stopped my Corrin, but Mario is one of my best counters to Cloud. Cloud has powerful attacks, but Marios FLUDD will push him away and itll leave him open. Mario is quick to attack and rack up damage. Also, I managed to fool you a few times into my Smash attacks. I saw you went random, and Im thoroughly impressed with your Olimar. You didnt win with him, but you were extremely close, I just had to pull off a small trick to get you off the stage.

Very good games, just work on combos and you should be able to beat me.
I'm predictable, it seems. Aerials are the only way I know how to approach in most instances since dash attacks don't work.

I never actually use random, Olimar was my Brawl main along with Snake. He's lost a bit of what he had back then...

Good games~

Burruni

Smash Hero
To this day I still wonder how much explosives he hid in his stomach
Really?
You're really gonna question that?
He's been trained by the military to conceal god knows how much equipment on his person.

Was raised by woodland elves.
Unless Keebler's hiding some things I wanna know how HE'S got a supply of bombs that don't run out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, the Ray Gun shoots ray beams rather than actual bullets because... well.... It's called a ray gun after all....

Although he did change it for the latest instalment in order to make it resemble an actual gun even less.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah I can get that though they could have toned down Bond's guns in a manner where it would be similar to the guns used in the items. Or even decrease the emphasis on his gun in his moveset so that he uses other items as well.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah I can get that though they could have toned down Bond's guns in a manner where it would be similar to the guns used in the items. Or even decrease the emphasis on his gun in his moveset so that he uses other items as well.
They'd have to give 1990s agent James Bond a laser pistol.
And... let's be honest.

The Gun is almost as iconic as the man.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Your right guys. The gun was almost as big of a reason as the legal stuff for his non-inclusion (though the legal stuff weighs a lot more IMO).

Wonder what lead to Sakurai's change in attitude.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Your right guys. The gun was almost as big of a reason as the legal stuff for his non-inclusion (though the legal stuff weighs a lot more IMO).

Wonder what lead to Sakurai's change in attitude.
I honestly think part of it is just the raw popularity of Bayonetta controlling the ballot when James bond was MAYBE in the top 10 in a poll with a few hundred votes if that.
Part of it is the fact of him being more stand-offish against 3rd party (especially "Real Life") characters back in Melee (supposedly Sonic "almost happened").
Part of it is just that Bayonetta's an entirely different beast.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If it weren't for legal stuff, do you guys think Bond would stand a chance of making it in to the game today?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't believe that a poll could easily change Sakurai's mind about Bayonetta's guns. It doesn't seem like a natural reason.

I think he himself thought those guns didn't cross the line, or that he moderated the guns enough to not replicate a real life gun.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
The fact she won first place in a poll with 1.8 million votes should be what changed Sakurai's mind
Or it could be that he thought Bayonetta's guns weren't as bad as many people made them out to be and the ESRB were fine with Bayonetta's guns because of their design and the fact they shoot heavily stylized projectiles.

If it weren't for legal stuff, do you guys think Bond would stand a chance of making it in to the game today?
No because:
A. He's not a video game character
B. He uses real life weapons

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not saying we should nerf luma, but this is a tad ridiculous:
No it isn't. It's a noob tier mistake to make against Rosalina.

The Charizard had ample time to shield, dodge, or just hit Luma, but instead, decided to try and run towards Rosalina even though she would have easily been able to avoid any possible aerial option he has (because Charizard's aerial options are ****, especially off-stage, and Rosalina excels in the air, even without Luma).

It seriously bugs me that people still complain about Rosalina just because they don't comprehend how to handle her main gimmick, yet don't do the same with other characters who have just as ridiculous "**** you for landing a hit on me" gimmicks (like Little Mac being able to resist anything except grabs at any percent as long as he is throwing out a Smash Attack).

People need to stop calling Rosalina & Luma broken just because they can't adapt.

Like seriously, the best comparison I can make is, when you are playing a 3D action game like DMC or Bayonetta, do you just simply focus your attention on a single enemy until they are defeated without dodging or blocking, even when a bunch of others are surrounding you and are about to hit you? No, you don't, because that will get you nowhere and you will never win the game that way.

So take that same approach with Rosalina & Luma. You're fighting two characters at once. Adapt to that and don't carelessly ignore one of them.

If you think fighting Rosalina & Luma is ridiculous for this, have fun playing All-Star Mode in this game, it's literally this except with 4 different characters at once.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Plus, let's be honest here.
James Bond, no matter how much you look at him, is not a video game character. He's from a film series that had a licensed game. It'd make just as much sense to put in Batman or Frodo in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just had a closer look at the new Mystery Mushroom costumes and I kinda just noticed this....

Is Balloon Fighter doing the "Directly" pose for his appeal here?

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Not sure who owns the James Bond license as Activision (the last to own it) lost them a couple years ago.

Besides, a lot has changed with Nintendo between Goldeneye 64 and now to the point I can't see him being "Nintendo-y" enough to join Smash.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not sure who owns the James Bond license as Activision (the last to own it) lost them a couple years ago.

Besides, a lot has changed with Nintendo between Goldeneye 64 and now to the point I can't see him being "Nintendo-y" enough to join Smash.
:4cloud::snake:

Just.
Just gonna leave that there.
(even if I'm one to use this case from time to time)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's funny how fast ChikoLad ChikoLad replies and tries to shut down any Rosalina criticism. :laugh:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just had a closer look at the new Mystery Mushroom costumes and I kinda just noticed this....

Is Balloon Fighter doing the "Directly" pose for his appeal here?
It looks similar to it. If so, that's really touching and a nice detail of them!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Just.
Snake was a favour for a friend (so his Nintendo connections don't matter) and at least has a fair few Nintendo appearances, including one with a lot of Nintendo references.

Cloud represents a franchise/company that has a lot of history with Nintendo even if his particular game has little ties to Nintendo. Square Enix and Final Fantasy fans have a lot of crossover with Nintendo fans in a similar vain to Mega Man/Capcom fans (keep in mind Mega Man mostly moved his big titles to non-Nintendo platforms too).

It's funny how fast ChikoLad ChikoLad replies and tries to shut down any Rosalina criticism. :laugh:
I had already seen the video earlier and happened to visit the thread at that exact moment it was posted.

It's also less me criticising it because of Rosalina, and more my annoyance with Smash 4 "competitive" fans in general because holy **** the Smash 4 community is a load of baby salt at every turn.

And technically I don't shut down criticisms, I shut down bull**** regarding her.

Because I rarely see actual valid criticisms towards her. Because there aren't many to begin with.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Just.
"Nintendo-y" means being recognized an IP Nintendo published before, not if the series supported Nintendo consoles over the years

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
"Nintendo-y" means being recognized an IP Nintendo published before, not if the series supported Nintendo consoles over the years
Explained context does far better.
Yeah.
It's really fallen out of favor and like B&K it's a series whose peak was at the N64 with a really good game or two but now is something that people have just fallen out of favor of.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Besides if you want Bond in Smash you can always pretend a certain killer mech is him:
upload_2016-3-9_21-56-15.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom