• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So.
8 years without a Wario platformer game.

E3 somehow prove to me it won't be 9!
Just so make sure, would a Mario platformer with Wario in it count? IF not, understandable as no-one counts NSMB Wii or WiiU as Toad games.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I can confirm he's bad. Case and point, he has next to no experience in anything else. He even didn't know how to trade items in Xenoblade until he was at Mechonis. And he followed Chuggaa's vids.
I know you're all going to laugh for this, but it took me after playing to Alcamoth, restarting my save, and maybe making it a ways from there to do enough research to realize how I could do that.

I was going in pretty much blind to everything except the plot and didn't have access to any kind of Let's Play or more than emergency access to a walkthrough, though.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I still haven't beaten Xenoblade.

If there is one thing I will criticise it for, the latter part of the game where I got to, has a really bad level spike on the bosses, and so I just started looking for side quests. Not too many give me much EXP though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just have to point out how much I am disappointed in how my top three characters get such a bad rap, for one reason or another...
:4link:-FG Spammer
:4zss:-'Zero Skill Spamus'
:4cloud:-Pay to win

*sigh* SMH...
If you think those are bad, try...

:4littlemac: - Side-B-Off-the-Edge FG Player.

:(

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I can confirm he's bad. Case and point, he has next to no experience in anything else. He even didn't know how to trade items in Xenoblade until he was at Mechonis. And he followed Chuggaa's vids.
Well...in XCX it wasn't untilChapter 8 that I figured out was TP was...lol

it was after Chapter 8 that I decided to read the in game manual...which then I figured "I should've read this at the beginning of the game, lol'

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If you think those are bad, try...

:4littlemac: - Side-B-Off-the-Edge FG Player.

:(
Little Mac is another notorious FG character...its actually funny because when playing as Link I can almost put money down that the player will just rush in for a dash attack at the start of the match...

I answer this just by just shooting an uncharged arrow and then follow up with a 50% dthrow combo...
Captain Falcon's are also guilty of this...I shouldn't have to read what the player does right at the beginning of the match...

Edit: Oops double post...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
:rosalina: has it worst for the bad reputation, because it still exists even with our best player (tournament results-wise) and so many Rosalina mains are like sheep and can't take initiative. Dabuz at least has been getting better but so many Rosalina players are slacking.

>Players often strictly sticking to a hyper defensive, campy playstyle, even though she has some really good offensive/rushdown options (like Lunar Landing, Luma Assisted Boost Grabs, etc), and overall is probably the most creative character in the game for how many different ways you can play her. Should be played by constantly changing Rosalina & Luma's "paradigms" but nope, hyper defensive play is all they wanna do

>Often struggle with match-ups they shouldn't because of this. You know a Rosalina player relies too much on hyper defense when they complain about :4falcon: being a terrible MU for her, lol. He's like the Rosalina noob-stomper.

>Don't know how to play for **** without Luma even though Rosalina herself has a lot of cool things. They too often resort to running away which can be a really bad tactical choice against certain characters, like the aforementioned Falcon, because they are fast and WILL catch you before Luma gets back if you run. You need to learn how to stand up to characters with Solo Rosalina because A) they can't hit you at all if you can attack them and knock them away (especially off stage), and B) successfully getting some damage in on them when waiting for Luma to respawn means you are likely to get a KO as soon as Luma gets back anyway due to his awesome knockback on stuff like D-air.

>A lot of them don't know how to use detethered Luma and never do so. You know, Rosalina's main gimmick? That's like a Shulk player who doesn't know what the Monado Arts do and doesn't use them.

There's more I could say but that's the gist of it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The best feature in the new update on SMM is probably for me the Death Mode.
The mode where you can see where people die in your level.
Thank you alot Nintendo for this.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's funny when people try to back throw you off the stage but you're actually a good :4littlemac:.

Burruni

Smash Hero
This is probably the most respectful and professional video I've seen about the current Paper Mario controversy.

Honestly... this is so damn perfect to convey what I feel a lot of the community is feeling. With one bit I'd add. To quote Bill when going over the game "...we try to bring something new to the action-adventure genre." For the series whose first game had the beta name "Super Mario RPG 2" that should only further drive in the massive gap that we see in Sticker Star and Color Splash to the original two games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Being read like a book and promptly demolished.

Either that or Corn is actually OP.
Well Corrin and Bayonetta are still new so don't be surprised if you lose to them, especially if you don't play them much yourself. They have some new tricks you probably just aren't used to yet.

Also do remember that match-ups could be the issue. Not sure about the specifics of the match-up between Corrin and Ness/Shulk (I could theorise but I won't go doing that), but if Corrin happens to have a really good MU against these characters, then it might be less a case that you are a bad player, and more that you just need a pocket character specifically for the Corrin MU.

Those are just some quick tips/words of encouragement. Don't let a few losses bum you out. If you feel you aren't enjoying the game then that's cool, but you can take the losses and learn from them. Maybe try saving replay data for particularly notable cases, and trying to examine how your opponent read you, trapped you in a combo, etc, and how you can prevent that next time.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well Corrin and Bayonetta are still new so don't be surprised if you lose to them, especially if you don't play them much yourself. They have some new tricks you probably just aren't used to yet.

Also do remember that match-ups could be the issue. Not sure about the specifics of the match-up between Corrin and Ness/Shulk (I could theorise but I won't go doing that), but if Corrin happens to have a really good MU against these characters, then it might be less a case that you are a bad player, and more that you just need a pocket character specifically for the Corrin MU.

Those are just some quick tips/words of encouragement. Don't let a few losses bum you out. If you feel you aren't enjoying the game then that's cool, but you can take the losses and learn from them. Maybe try saving replay data for particularly notable cases, and trying to examine how your opponent read you, trapped you in a combo, etc, and how you can prevent that next time.
The newness wore off after like a month of nothing but Corrin/Bayo on FG. I just lost like ten+ times in a row to Corrin too, I tried using almost every character I'm decent with until I just gave up and kept dying as Shulk.

I wouldn't know which characters are good/bad against others, I'm not trying to play at a competitive level.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sakurai's stream is tomorrow. Here's really hoping we get a lot of information regarding the Ballot including which other characters were considered. That way, we can have a good idea of who's likely to get in the game and we can be more realistic with Smash speculation in the future.

Sakurai's stream is tomorrow. Here's really hoping we get a lot of information regarding the Ballot including which other characters were considered. That way, we can have a good idea of who's likely to get in the game and we can be more realistic with Smash speculation in the future.
Just don't get your hopes up.

For all we know he won't answer a single question about smash and will focus more on things like the ideas of game design and star wars.

For instance my hopes of him answering a Kid Icarus question are negative.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still don't think he will disclose the top ballot choices or much on it at all.

Because there are probably at least 2 memes and a few un realistic 3rd party choices, as well as Snake, and maybe wolf.

He knows he would get a lot of annoying complaints from fans by doing so.

I'd be surprised if we actually got in depth info on it, even though it would be interesting.

Oh and there is no such term as realistic smash speculation.

There's so many character choices and as we saw with this entry, it's very hard for us to have a realistic view, as our views are always flipped with announcements.

Speculation will still be a lot of fun though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The newness wore off after like a month of nothing but Corrin/Bayo on FG. I just lost like ten+ times in a row to Corrin too, I tried using almost every character I'm decent with until I just gave up and kept dying as Shulk.

I wouldn't know which characters are good/bad against others, I'm not trying to play at a competitive level.
In that case, I'll give you some tips for dealing with Corrin, since I kinda play him myself.

-His Up-Air is a very good KO move and anyone who plays the character is probably gonna go for it a lot. It also has a few moves that can combo into it (D-Tilt, F-Tilt, sometimes Up-Tilt, and even F-air), so watch out for those when you are getting into the moderate percents since Corrin will go for those.

-His Up and Down throws are KO throws at around 100% against many characters, so maybe keep your distance and don't let him grab you when you are in this position. Especially on a stage with platforms or low ceilings, since both of the throws launch you upward.

-Corrin's Up B can actually be a very potent KO move too so watch out for it. I myself sometimes go for a surprise Up-B if another upward KO attempt fails as people don't expect people to use Up-B's on stage unless it's part of a combo. Also, don't try to gimp him off-stage if you are at high percents, at least not with characters like Ness and Shulk, as this will probably happen:

-The chainsaw effect he gets while charging his Side Smash is something he can use to cover rolls, and especially ledge get ups. If you see a Corrin charging a Side Smash while you are hanging from the ledge, they are probably not doing it randomly, they are probably trying to cover ledge rolls and ledge get ups. Just jump away until he lets the Side Smash play out, and then jump back on when he is recovering from it to return to neutral.

-Similarly, his Neutral B covers rolls and such too. One key thing to note about it that a LOT of people don't seem to realise, is that the water projectile and the chomp from his Neutral B, both have separate charges. This means that Corrin can fully charge the projectile, but use a minimum charge chomp, and vice versa, and any variable in between. I take advantage of this a lot to trick people, as most people think he only charges the chomp for the same length he charges the projectile, but that's not the case, so it's a great baiting tool.

Those are just a few things to watch out for with Corrin.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom