• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A bit off tangent, but I always really liked the idea of a more chibi/small Sonic, of the things I actually give Runners credit for. It helps give him his classic feel while not ditching elements of Modern.

Am I alone on that or...?
Nah I think that's cool too.

I don't think it'd work as a permanent/core image for the character (it's too rounded and cutesy and takes away from his "cool, edgy" factor), but it's fine for some kind of cute spin-off game or for promotional stuff like this, as well as merchandise. I could also see it used in like, loading screens for a main series game or something.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I gotta see Zootopia as soon as possible then. The fact that its a Disney animation movie already interested me, but now I really want to see it, I mean reeeeeeealllllly want to see it.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Zootopia does look rather interesting. I'll go see it. Plus I hear one of the directors was the director for Wreck-it Ralph.

Speaking of Wreck-it Ralph, I'm still waiting for that sequel, Disney.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
This talk about female characters and high standards is reminding me about how I started playing the GoW series and the oracle Kratos saves who does almost nothing has a transparent outfit with 2005 breast physics

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
Because thread is dead, I have a new topic: Out of all characters in Smash 4 outside of the last minute additions, who has a moveset that disappoints you? For me, it's gotta be Meta Knight. All of the moves in his boss fights, and only Nair and Mach Tornado are references to the Kirby games. I mean, when I saw that PM gave him his downward thrust, I cheered out of joy! For someone Sakurai really likes, he sure didn't pull a lot from Meta Knight's source. Then again, Beam is his favourite ability yet Kirby doesn't utilize it
Ganondorf. All those people in the forums who say his moveset represents him perfectly are liars. I would've welcomed at least a couple of new moves, just like Pit and Bowser. Besides that custom neutral-B sword attack, we got nothing...

D

Deleted member

Leo has no chill
FB_IMG_1457306865312.jpg

*summons trees 2 squares away*
This is probably because it went out of it's way to catch the furry demographic.

I thought people were joking when they said this was a furry movie
How I wished that was true...

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...And the minute I post that Zootopia GIF, a friend of mine on Facebook, who is a furry, posts this.

Not gonna lie that's actually a good one. :p

Leo has no chill
View attachment 99447
*summons trees 2 squares away*

I thought people were joking when they said this was a furry movie
How I wished that was true...
I mean I'm not even saying it in a negative light. But it's beyond the point where you can say "it just HAPPENS to appeal to furries and is really meant for kids!" (Star Fox is an actual example of that, for comparison). I'm just saying "it is what it is".

>Literally the most "humanised" world of animals ever in fiction, with all sorts of real life pop culture references and depicting the characters doing all sorts of normal things, making these animals feel really relatable to our own society.

>Used the word "anthropomorphic" in it's very first teaser trailer, something that's rarely said outside of furry related discussion

>And this pretty much speaks for itself, like seriously this isn't just something that coincidentally appeals to furries anymore

D

Deleted member

That's not having no chill. That's being honest
Takumi is actually cool tho
Conquest will make you hate him, then hate him more, then hate him even more, then you'll like him, and finally, you'll hate him again but still like him a little for being such a tsundere
"I-it's not like I trust you or anything, b-baka!"
He's probably the best Hoshido sibling
I also hear he's pretty broken in BR

Leo's only purpose in my playthrough ended up being to make my husband be born
He still cool tho
Who doesn't like when Blond Marth kills people with trees?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Palutena. I have no idea what happened there.
I do. Sakurai designed her around a feature nobody in the competitive scene wants to deal with. Same problems the Mii Fighters face.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Takumi is actually cool tho
Conquest will make you hate him, then hate him more, then hate him even more, then you'll like him, and finally, you'll hate him again but still like him a little for being such a tsundere
"I-it's not like I trust you or anything, b-baka!"
He's probably the best Hoshido sibling
I also hear he's pretty broken in BR

Leo's only purpose in my playthrough ended up being to make my husband be born
He still cool tho
Who doesn't like when Blond Marth kills people with trees?
I don't care if Takumi is the best bow user in the ****ing franchise and OP as ****. He still made it so a bird **** on my ear on the first day after summer vacation a few years ago

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Nah I think that's cool too.

I don't think it'd work as a permanent/core image for the character (it's too rounded and cutesy and takes away from his "cool, edgy" factor), but it's fine for some kind of cute spin-off game or for promotional stuff like this, as well as merchandise. I could also see it used in like, loading screens for a main series game or something.
I think it'd work for if they wanted to make a new Sonic 4 style game, or "Sonic 5" or whatever. It's a nice middle ground. But yeah for the main series (I can't believe I have to say Sonic 4 isn't technically main series...) I can't see it sticking.

D

Deleted member

I don't care if Takumi is the best bow user in the ****ing franchise and OP as ****. He still made it so a bird **** on my ear on the first day after summer vacation a few years ago
What?
And he may be OP but no Archer will ever be as good as Mage ******: Niles

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
There seems to be a bit more of a high standard thrown towards female characters compared to male characters. I've kinda noticed this when I looked through some pages on the internet that talked about controversial characters and the more commonly mentioned ones tend to be female....

Which is probably why I'm a bit more cautious by how I design my character, I should probably make some concept artworks and ask around which design's and personalities people like more or something.....

I do agree that it would be nice to see female characters being able to explore more horizons like their male comrades do.
Oh, definitely, although it may partially involve the fact that protagonist driven games tend to be more likely to have male leads than female ones due to the larger male player skew towards protagonist-based games, leaving the resulting lower number of females under far deeper scrutiny and leaving the deficit to be made up for in the NPCs, where less care in character design and personality is taken and awkward situations are thus more easily created.

That and a few people are just very, very thin skinned in general.

Feel free to share any results of your analysis with me, I'd like to know what qualifies as more accepted myself so I can design an at least a semi-acceptable example of a female character. Criticism has it's place, but there seems to be almost no effort put in to create examples of what would be a truly positive female character.

As far as my personal standards for female character design go, the only thing that I've encountered that's been iffy to me personally in the games I've played so far is when I went to change Sharla's armor from her default to a more powerful set that I had picked up from an enemy drop somewhere and things got kinda. . . . . . .well there were some questionable armor choices for female characters in X too, but the cosmetic armor option and civilian attire selection definitely made it easier to dodge any issues in that game, so the sequel definitely improved on the matter. The only other MMO-like I've tried is White Knight Chronicles, and the most of the clothing in that game was gender neutral, presumably in order to save programming time.

Most women in the limited selection of games I try are dressed just fine though IMO, and that includes Waifu Emblem.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've only seen Deadpool and in the past three weekends, Groundhog Day, Lost in Translation and last night To Kill a Mockingbird. Hopefully sometime in the relatively close future, I'll see Zootopia. Maybe I'll make it the movie for this weekend?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They don't even look like they were drawn by the same person as the other pokemon
I believe they are meant to be a collage of several "leaks" they are nice but probably fake.
Thank you Z25 Z25 for consistently posting leaks here lol. I love the Pokemon leaks you keep posting. Where all are you finding these?
Thanks!! Glad you enjoy them! I always like pokemon rumors because people go all out to make images and plot lines. Even if fake they are really fun.

I've been pulling all of these from the pokemon boards of 4chan. They always go crazy when new games are announced.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I posted a comment on Zelda Universes status about Zelda U and it got over 50 likes. And now I'm proud of myself haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, definitely, although it may partially involve the fact that protagonist driven games tend to be more likely to have male leads than female ones due to the larger male player skew towards protagonist-based games, leaving the resulting lower number of females under far deeper scrutiny and leaving the deficit to be made up for in the NPCs, where less care in character design and personality is taken and awkward situations are thus more easily created.

That and a few people are just very, very thin skinned in general.

Feel free to share any results of your analysis with me, I'd like to know what qualifies as more accepted myself so I can design an at least a semi-acceptable example of a female character. Criticism has it's place, but there seems to be almost no effort put in to create examples of what would be a truly positive female character.

As far as my personal standards for female character design go, the only thing that I've encountered that's been iffy to me personally in the games I've played so far is when I went to change Sharla's armor from her default to a more powerful set that I had picked up from an enemy drop somewhere and things got kinda. . . . . . .well there were some questionable armor choices for female characters in X too, but the cosmetic armor option and civilian attire selection definitely made it easier to dodge any issues in that game, so the sequel definitely improved on the matter. The only other MMO-like I've tried is White Knight Chronicles, and the most of the clothing in that game was gender neutral, presumably in order to save programming time.

Most women in the limited selection of games I try are dressed just fine though IMO, and that includes Waifu Emblem.
I suppose that may have a part in that. I should probably check into it and see if there is any sort of correlation with those characters, and if the same counts for female characters that are the main protagonists.

There seems to be a bit of a mixed consensus in regards to what would make an "acceptable" female character as opinions seem to vary from person to person. For example, some dislike gentle female characters as they are often considered as "weak" or "boring" whereas others dislike the ones that are considered too overpowered and rude etc.

As for myself, I tend to try not to condemn a female character for actions I would probably otherwise be praising a male character for doing and vise versa. It's a bit of a challenge for me though to come up with a good design for my protagonist and what type of personality I should give her. I don't want her to be void from personality, but I don't really want to make her all over the top either. That's not even factoring in that I'm also trying to come up with a design for her that makes her stand out and look recognizable too.... ^^;

Eitherway, I'll probably come up with some concept art and see if I can get some opinions from that. ^^

I do. Sakurai designed her around a feature nobody in the competitive scene wants to deal with. Same problems the Mii Fighters face.
This is a part of the problem. Part.

Her smashes are still really weird. All 3 of her tilts are staff spins, all of which are pretty bad. And if i remember correctly her grab and throws arent good either, for combos or kills. Shw has somewhat ok aerials but even then every single one is outclassed. Even with all 4 perfect custom moves her moveset is still a complete mess.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is a part of the problem. Part.

Her smashes are still really weird. All 3 of her tilts are staff spins, all of which are pretty bad. And if i remember correctly her grab and throws arent good either, for combos or kills. Shw has somewhat ok aerials but even then every single one is outclassed. Even with all 4 perfect custom moves her moveset is still a complete mess.
She's got good grab range iirc

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
A lot of interesting things are on 4chan currently. Only one pokemon thing has potential to be real imo.
This is interesting. Real?

This one's really intriguing. there's two more of the rock fire thing, where's it's colored in, but I left them out.

The grass starter looks really legit, and it's from 2ch, so it could be real. But it's still far from confirmed. No pictures of the water one colored in oddly enough. The thread was taken down by mods fast which is interesting.

Here are two other leaks that I don't find as likely:

Different user posted this in another thread, but it shows up in the first thread. Looks nice, and is based on the leaked list of 80 new pokemon, that I posted the other day. Which is interesting, but I'm not sold on this

and lastly:

I like this one, and it's based on that other leaked list that the previous shark thing was. Which is again neat. But I don't know. surprised there is this much piggybacking though.

So thoughts on these?

They are intriguing to me...

EDIT: and here's this terrible one:
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25471870/lets-say-a-friend-of-a-friend-works-for-some

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To me, the easiest way to make a likable female character is to make them a likable female character. That's it.
You don't need to jump over hurdles, nor know some super secret complicated formula. All you need to do is have them well rounded and... well... be an overall enjoyable character.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well...
Down goes Birthright.
It's basically Awakening MK 2 for the good and bad of it.
I had no real issue with any of the VA's in Nohr but Hinoka and ESPECIALLY Selkie are shocking to have gone past QA.
A shared characer's death in both stories is a LOT dumber and out of the blue for Birthright.
It's... honestly kinda lack luster and predictable, especially after Conquest.
Also... maybe this is just me but the characters in Nohr were more entertaining than Hoshido.
7/10.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To me, the easiest way to make a likable female character is to make them a likable female character. That's it.
You don't need to jump over hurdles, nor know some super secret complicated formula. All you need to do is have them well rounded and... well... be an overall enjoyable character.
True, overall, it may have more to do with side characters though as Coricus Coricus said, they don't get as much development and time given in as main protagonists do.

Eitherway, I'll see how it will go.

D

Deleted member

One thing that's kind of funny to do is designing a character and simply gender-swap them, it can even show what kind of bias we truly have
I ended up creating a character by inverting the Does Not Like Men trope, needless to say, it's hard to implement a male character like that while trying to make him sympathetic
Well...
Down goes Birthright.
It's basically Awakening MK 2 for the good and bad of it.
I had no real issue with any of the VA's in Nohr but Hinoka and ESPECIALLY Selkie are shocking to have gone past QA.
A shared characer's death in both stories is a LOT dumber and out of the blue for Birthright.
It's... honestly kinda lack luster and predictable, especially after Conquest.
Also... maybe this is just me but the characters in Nohr were more entertaining than Hoshido.
7/10.
Hinoka's boss cutscene was already full Narm so I'm not surprised

Burruni

Smash Hero
One thing that's kind of funny to do is designing a character and simply gender-swap them, it can even show what kind of bias we truly have
I ended up creating a character by inverting the Does Not Like Men trope, needless to say, it's hard to implement a male character like that while trying to make him sympathetic

Hinoka's boss cutscene was already full Narm so I'm not surprised
I mean...
Hinoka's just a bit to strained sounding at times. Her line delivery being more hit or miss.
Selkie...
Jesus christ.
This sounds like Palmon with a dry throat.
It's actually a little painful to hear and I'm someone who's defended dubs over subs a lot in their time.

Edit: Same VA as Peri, and the difference is like 15% but it's /just/ enough to be passable.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
A lot of interesting things are on 4chan currently. Only one pokemon thing has potential to be real imo.
This is interesting. Real?

This one's really intriguing. there's two more of the rock fire thing, where's it's colored in, but I left them out.

The grass starter looks really legit, and it's from 2ch, so it could be real. But it's still far from confirmed. No pictures of the water one colored in oddly enough. The thread was taken down by mods fast which is interesting.

Here are two other leaks that I don't find as likely:

Different user posted this in another thread, but it shows up in the first thread. Looks nice, and is based on the leaked list of 80 new pokemon, that I posted the other day. Which is interesting, but I'm not sold on this

and lastly:

I like this one, and it's based on that other leaked list that the previous shark thing was. Which is again neat. But I don't know. surprised there is this much piggybacking though.

So thoughts on these?

They are intriguing to me...

EDIT: and here's this terrible one:
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25471870/lets-say-a-friend-of-a-friend-works-for-some
A koala Pomemon is going to happen eventually. I thought it would have happened by now. It's a safe bet for a leak.

The shark is cool too. I like it when Water Pokemon have legs and aren't just some fish.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I ended up creating a character by inverting the Does Not Like Men trope, needless to say, it's hard to implement a male character like that while trying to make him sympathetic.
I do occasionally wonder if characters like Luigi would still be as popular if they had been the opposite gender, since I've often seen that the more cowardly younger sibling trope is often seen as annoying with female characters....

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Also.
Rhajat.
Holy boomerang cross, Belmont.
Tharja was a pretty uninteresting character to me because she was just that antisocial chick with some stalkerish tendencies and happened to have dark magic.

RHAJAT IS OFF THE DEEP END AND I LIKE IT.
NOT S-RANKING THAT BUT SHE'S A LOT MORE ENTERTAINING NOW.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I do occasionally wonder if characters like Luigi would still be as popular if they had been the opposite gender, since I've often seen that the cowardly younger sibling trope is often seen as annoying with female characters....
I guess it'd all depend, but I would assume Female!Luigi would be considered either "weak" or "cute".
Though if we also include his chew toy status...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You wanna make a good female character?

Just make her a good character. Simple as that.

A lot of the best female characters have direct parallels to the best male characters for filling a niche or demographic and just being engaging. They generally don't have to focus on using tropes of the gender or anything either.

-Victor Sullivan serves as a great father figure for Nate, Rosalina serves as a great mother figure for the Lumas.

-Dante is a shameless testosterone infused power fantasy, Bayonetta is a shameless oestrogen infused power fantasy.

-Master Chief is a strong and stoic space warrior, and so is Samus (most of the time...).

-Luke Triton is a cute, youthful sidekick, and so is Maya Fey.

-Sonic is a cool, free animal with an attitude that moves real fast, and so is Lilac.

I could really go on. Obviously that's not all these characters are, not by a long shot, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess it'd all depend, but I would assume Female!Luigi would be considered either "weak" or "cute".
Though if we also include his chew toy status...
I guess "FemLuigi" would probably seen somewhere around "weak","annoying" to "cute", "precious cinnamon roll, too pure for this world" depending on what type of fan you come across.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do occasionally wonder if characters like Luigi would still be as popular if they had been the opposite gender, since I've often seen that the more cowardly younger sibling trope is often seen as annoying with female characters....
Female Luigi would get as much **** as Peach does today for being "sexist"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom