• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Wow.

The Color Splash analysis was really well done.

I'm actually interested now.

I think its like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.
Another J-RPG that has appeared on Nintendo systems only and handled the cards stuff excellently is Baten Kaitos (GameCube). Although Paper Mario doesn't seem like the type of character to use a wide variety of stuff going from swords to spears to instrumental firearms to bananas to milk to photocameras, I'd love it if Color Splash was more like that pepit of a game.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Wow.

The Color Splash analysis was really well done.

I'm actually interested now.

I think its like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.
Since it seems like there is an incentive to battle enemies now (gives you more paint) and since there is actual strategy when choosing your cards and making decks etc, it already looks miles better than Sticker Star.

D

Deleted member

Obligatory text so I don't get infracterd goes here
So.
Popping in to ask a question.
Can you buy Revelations NOW and get the Ebon Wing 'n' such bonuses?
I wanna know if I just beat Birthright now or if I can turn a certain someone into a Dark Flier before taking on the end.
Didn't you play Conquest too? Or did you buy two physical copies?
But anyways, no, it'll give you an error if you try to buy it saying no data of it was found in the server

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"We need a female Link!" Anita, Pre-Linkle
"Linkle is transphobic!" Anita, Post-Linkle
Here's how we get rid of here: Stop giving a ****
Anita has said her ideal female character has no personality, no story, and hard to distinguish what they look like so she can reflect her own personality in the character.

Yep, best female according to her is one without a personality

Burruni

Smash Hero
Obligatory text so I don't get infracterd goes here

Didn't you play Conquest too? Or did you buy two physical copies?
But anyways, no, it'll give you an error if you try to buy it saying no data of it was found in the server
I beat Conquest.
Downloaded Birthright the night I beat Conquest.
At the throne door for Birthright.
So I'll just go try to take down Nohr's crown without letting Subaki's daughter regaining her true form.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
So.
Popping in to ask a question.
Can you buy Revelations NOW and get the Ebon Wing 'n' such bonuses?
I wanna know if I just beat Birthright now or if I can turn a certain someone into a Dark Flier before taking on the end.
Comes out in the 10th unless you bought the special edition which came with all three stories

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So Color Splash is still a topic?

Even though there's evidence Color Splash isn't Sticker Star 2.0, I'm just glad the Mario & Luigi series hasn't shifted away from the gameplay I'd expect from it (I really enjoyed the first 3 Paper Mario games but I personally like Mario & Luigi MUCH better).

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Thank you @zoroark25 for consistently posting leaks here lol. I love the Pokemon leaks you keep posting. Where all are you finding these?

D

Deleted member

Question to people who can actually play Fates. What's the Arena theme?
Quiet Burn for the entrance and Quiet Burn(Roar) for the fight
Dunno if it's a remix of a song from a previous game tho
I beat Conquest.
Downloaded Birthright the night I beat Conquest.
At the throne door for Birthright.
So I'll just go try to take down Nohr's crown without letting Subaki's daughter regaining her true form.
Oh yeah, forgot you need all three paths go unlock the Ebon Wing

Burruni

Smash Hero
Quiet Burn for the entrance and Quiet Burn(Roar) for the fight
Dunno if it's a remix of a song from a previous game tho

Oh yeah, forgot you need all three paths go unlock the Ebon Wing
I have Asugi the Dread Fighter.

Who finds his twisted love even throughout time and space

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, @tsvlink25 since you, almo in the paper mario discord I am in, some people in this thread ( including @Jdaster64 ) just seems to have a huge interest on this video (even in the case of tsv to answer me on tweeter):

Then let;s be honest, I might just actually take the effort to watch it and give an exhaustive opinion on it. I was arguing a lot anyway.

Ok so pretty much everything about the artstyle I disagree, I don;t care if I seem to be the only one that hate it, but I just do. I mean yes, I did spotted a lot of details and yes, it clearly feels there was effort and it wasn't rushed, but what it doesn't change is how it imo doesn;t look vivid and bright. And tbh, a lot of stuff still looks so odd like honestly, if the character Paper Mario was an amibo, but had this design, I swear I won;t buy it because compared to.....every.....other game, .....he feels so lifeless. I mean I even saw the thumb up in the JP direct and it feels so......idk......forced? because in every other game, it had a feel of happiness to it because of these bright colors ahhhhh :)

So the artstyle to me not mcuh changed in my mind, it's still a big concern to me.

.....Ok get ready for this because the paragraph I will write is the results of quite lengthy arguments I was into eariler so they are quite long.....

The battle system. So, I honestly am really not sure if I feel the speculation about the deck of cards and the fact you keep your cards are accurate, but the problem I see here is even if they was accurate, it doesn't fix what was inherently broken with SS imho.

Let me take my SS review because the core part of that review was the battle ssytem and I said it like a year ago.

http://smashboards.com/threads/thin...d-migration-soon.324473/page-52#post-19166400

linking this as source so you guys know that I actually said the following quotes I will post.

So, here's how I will support the argument I just told, i will simply quote myself and just add on to how I think the quote applies to what GX would have brought up and all assuming all his predictions were accurate. there is a point I do this which I will explain later.

It is dependent on the stickers you have. You do good if your stickers are good and you do bad if your stickers are bad. it even goes like you will enjoy this game a lot if your album is full, but you CANNOT do anything if you have no stickers
Ok, sure, the GX video says that you might keep your card which we assume is true so that quote doesn't relate to the point that this is fixed options HOWEVER

What this quote still stands is the first part, what dictates battles is ultimately the cards. We know you don't gain exp and you only gain coins after battles so what is happening here is you battles, gain coins which you would use to buy cards which you use to do battles with. It doesn't matter if they are one time use here, that part still stands so in the end, you are dictated by how you perform with the cards you have. You could argue that it adds the paint meter, but that doesn't change that you use the meter because you have to use the cards.

Let's continue because that part gets a totally new meaning on another quote:

Even if they really try to make the logistic to have your album filled most of the time, there's a huge contradiction: there's absolutely no progress in every battle EXCEPT the bosses and mini bosses/special enemies as the only reason they make you progress is because they are REQUIRED.
You could deduce that you get cards in the environment. What this means is that you could get your cards WITHOUT effort required, the game will simply give it to you. Which is a problem as the battle simply looses their meaning. It's basically "ok game, i like you give me upgrade, it's cool, but don't make me battle if I don't need to then". Which is when the lack of felt progressions starts to show it basically means that because the cards would do the same thing and nothing else affects how they do.....aka it;s like you do the same thing over and over again instead of doing it for SOMETHING in the end.

Which even if you kept your cards and even if you could do a deck, that issue is still there. As long as the battle aren;t done as effort to reach something such as an exp system, that issue is still there.

Let me explain, the only thing you gain from winning a battle is stickers, coins and sometimes, hearts to heal you. That's it, there's no progression here because the stickers are infinite gathering[.]
This even without the one time use still applies, you still ultimately ONLY need cards. Nothing else.

The part that came after is about that it becomes a risk for nothing, that part woudln;t apply because we are assuming that we are not discarding the cards, btu that still stands for SS.

In fact, the way the game reflects progression is not by you progressing, but it's purely by the logistic, it's like the game gives you more powerful stuff depending on how far you are, but you as the character never progressed.
I was trying to prove with this quote that SS is hardly an rpg, but that part wouldn’t apply to color splash since we know it's not even advertised as one, but if we take this quote as face value.

Well.....still stands. The only progression you gain is the cards you gain in the environment, but the problem was there is a big difference between OBJECTIVE and FELT progression. objectively, you would gain better cards later in the game environment (we can deduce you gain them via the environment). However, you don;t feel you did anything other than actually getting there which beforehand, you didn;t felt you did anything TO get there.

So the end result of this is because you don;t feel you did anything, then the question still remains, why do battles? if you don;t feel there was a use to it.....then I don't get how what the GX video brought would change anything.

Ok the rest is heavily reviewing SS as an advertised rpg and how you woudl have not enough influence on the battles which doesn;t apply here.

So what was the point of me doing this?

My point is that without changing what i thought a year ago about SS, I applied the core reasons that I found the SS system broken on what you could deduce off of color splash EVEN if GX admirably extra poled its speculations to something that you could think fixes everything.

however, that only is minor fixes compared to the real issue which is the battles still don;t have a REAL goal to them. I do not think that having coins to get cards to do battle is a REAL goal, that is more like a bonus to that real goal to enhance it. The one time use of SS only made it worse, but it wasn;t THE problem, what fundamentally was the problem with SS is the meaning of battles.

I of course here talk about an exp system. Because let me just assume we get an exp system, doesn't matter what upgrades you would gain with it, as long as it;s something you would need later on it's fine.

Then, the exp becomes the main goal of battles since it would impact you permanently and on a longer term, persist and can;t be lost. This also means that the coins you would get are bonuses and aren't the main goal. At the end, because the exp would influence something you would gain later on, it also means that NOT ONLY THE CARDS DICTATES THE BATTLE! The cards that you buy with that bonus amount of coins, you won't buy them because you would need them, but you would buy them to add options. However, to better make use of them, you would eventually need exp which actually means that you would find reasons to get cards as you progress with exp. And because exp is a form of effort, it will entirely feel that you actually progressed....

So to me, a lack of a progression system like EXP is a huge deal here. in fact you gotta ask yourself this question: if this isn't an rpg, why do I see turn by turn battles? I mean for an action adventure game, I think more of real time battle idk stuff like zelda and this is funny because i did said that in the SS review that because of the lack of strategy, it would make no sense to have it turn by turn.

Idk, but this sounds like another identity crisis that SS had (I couldn’t find what the game was trying).

Ok the rest of the video actually made the game worse to me.

First and yes, I know it was optional, but I need to point this out: there's flags on the centrer of the hub......

why? why you had to put the super flags again? For those who don't know, SS had 8 flags that to unravel, you would have to do sort of achievements. 4 of them being basically getting everything, the 4 others are A NIGHTMARE! by this I mean buying for 10k and 500 excellent, no.

The bowser sticker thing is from SS......lol as if it wasn;t enough SS ey.

Ok about the world map, let me do a thing here that I just don;t know why the series got to it.

One thing I could complain about SS BUT NOT SPM is that the game didn't felt continuous. To me, for a Paper Mario game, it really is important because.....well I take the Paper Mario game as a form of story book. Even the intro of every game so far is presented like so. When i got the worldmap it didn't felt continuous because I felt each level had no connections. in fact, the main reason I still think spm felt continuous was actually the plot and the fact that you had no section when you just selected the thing. I mean even the hub in SS didn;t felt like one.....

As for the stars......either they pulled an sm3dworld or it;s the goal of the thing....

I don;t have anything other to say other than the fact I really don't like to see the things back which doesn;t seem to be the case of Andre.....

But yeah at the end of the day, if anything, this analysis made the game slightly worse to me. Because even all he talked about wasn;t all the issues I had with the game. I still really don;t like the animations for examples, it;s a 60fps game and it lacks fluidity which I think is very important anyway.

Guys, you have to understand one thing that is very simple: I would be open n this game if I didn;t saw SS problems. They could have presented a TOTALLY new thing that isn't TTYD, isn;t spm and isn't SS that I would be so clueless I would have to wait to give an opinion. What they presented is at least 70% SS and 30% that we have yet to learn about but doesn't seem to change the other 70% enough for me to be open here. they had imo no requirements to put back SS feeling in it as it was a game from scratch unless the thing that made SS like it was happened again (I really need to see an interview because I am still in disbelief tbh).

So to all person that suggested me to be open and are the reasons I made this post, I would if I saw something that wasn't SS ey and didn;t gathered the seemingly same problems. Even if everyone else loves the artstyle for example, that is not the reason I loved it for me so why should i NOT be concerned here?

Like I said, I will anyway watch a full playthrough of the game and at the very least give a second hand review. this is the best I will go to actually criticise the game because i simply am not reviewing first hand a lot of problems I lived already. Granted, I still maintain 90% which isn't 100, but it;s enough for me to prepare to the eventuality.

I hope this post helped to clarify people that I just need to see something else entirely to be impressed for now.....

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Anita has said her ideal female character has no personality, no story, and hard to distinguish what they look like so she can reflect her own personality in the character.

Yep, best female according to her is one without a personality
I'm a woman too, and one of my main complaints with female characters IS that many of them don't have a personality, a story, or any truly recognizable appearance.

I want the polar opposite of her.

I want a woman who utterly oozes personality, one that has a story that makes them both sympathetic and entertaining, one that you can look at a picture of from a halfway across a supermarket and go, "yep, that's them!"

Yeah, I'd be happy to see more female characters that are dressed a little more decently, or take a little more proactive of an approach. But I think the best way of showing gender equality would be to make a female character just as funny, hot blooded, and subject to slapstick as the best of male characters could be instead of some muted blob of nothing that Anita actually wants to keep having perpetuated because having a personality inherently gives some kind of fodder for you to be a stereotype one way or another.

And while I haven't looked into it as the video it's in isn't discussed as much and I haven't watched it as is in forever, I'm pretty sure she doesn't even like player avatars, which are the perfect embodiment of exactly the sort of inoffensive, blank slate character that would otherwise be perfect for her.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I'm a woman too, and one of my main complaints with female characters IS that many of them don't have a personality, a story, or any truly recognizable appearance.

I want a woman who utterly oozes personality, one that has a story that makes them both sympathetic and entertaining, one that you can look at a picture of from a halfway across a supermarket and go, "yep, that's them!"

Yeah, I'd be happy to see more female characters that are dressed a little more decently, or take a little more proactive of an approach. But I think the best way of showing gender equality would be to make a female character just as funny, hot blooded, and subject to slapstick as the best of male characters could be instead of some muted blob of nothing that Anita actually wants to keep having perpetuated because having a personality inherently gives some kind of fodder for you to be a stereotype one way or another.

And while I haven't looked into it as the video it's in isn't discussed as much and I haven't watched it as is in forever, I'm pretty sure she doesn't even like player avatars, which are the perfect embodiment of exactly the sort of inoffensive, blank slate character that would otherwise be perfect for her.
I haven't posted here for a while, nor will I continue to, but that's precisely why Bayonetta is one of my favourite video game personalities of all time - her sassy, condescending yet suggestive personality as a package is executed amazingly well, and that acts as a major selling point to her games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I spent more time than I thought I would on this, but I'm happy enough with it, came out looking fairly cute.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because thread is dead, I have a new topic: Out of all characters in Smash 4 outside of the last minute additions, who has a moveset that disappoints you? For me, it's gotta be Meta Knight. All of the moves in his boss fights, and only Nair and Mach Tornado are references to the Kirby games. I mean, when I saw that PM gave him his downward thrust, I cheered out of joy! For someone Sakurai really likes, he sure didn't pull a lot from Meta Knight's source. Then again, Beam is his favourite ability yet Kirby doesn't utilize it

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Because thread is dead, I have a new topic: Out of all characters in Smash 4 outside of the last minute additions, who has a moveset that disappoints you? For me, it's gotta be Meta Knight. All of the moves in his boss fights, and only Nair and Mach Tornado are references to the Kirby games. I mean, when I saw that PM gave him his downward thrust, I cheered out of joy! For someone Sakurai really likes, he sure didn't pull a lot from Meta Knight's source. Then again, Beam is his favourite ability yet Kirby doesn't utilize it
Even though he was a last minute addition in Melee...
... needless to say, I have no words.

Last edited:
Palutena. I have no idea what happened there.

So much awesome potential and yet we got a ridiculously underpowered character who pretty much has a huge mess for a moveset.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Tie between Zelda and Palutena.
It's at the point where they need complete rehauls to make them functional.

Burruni

Smash Hero
For the same reason.
:4wario2: in PM spoiled me
That down air.
That f-throw.
That Side-B.
(That ganondorf-tier b-air)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Funny, I was thinking on asking this question.

But the most disappointing for me has always been :4zelda:.

Like other than her specials, which do represent her well enough, everything she does is just so painfully generic. Just random kicks and hand swipes with a bit of sparkly magic effects.

Hyrule Warriors did EXACTLY what I had always wanted for Zelda in Smash - a cross between using her rapier and her bow (though it wouldn't be like Link's Bow in that it's a special, it would be part of her normals too).

She's the one character I really want revamped (or rather, if I were to pick one, it would be her) aside from clones because her moveset is so uninspired, and to make things worse, has proven to be so bad that she's consistently bottom tier. Just give her a brand new moveset next time, everyone loves Hyrule Warriors Zelda (both gameplay wise and character wise - seriously, she's the best Zelda), so while I don't expect them to use that model design, they can easily take inspiration from her Hyrule Warriors playstyle at least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Palutena
I don't even know where to begin
It's not even just her moveset, her whole character in Smash is disappointing

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Beam is like, my least favorite ability.

But, I guess that explains why Beam overrides other abilities. Usually when you suck up 2 abilities at once it creates something random. But not with beam - it overrides everything else.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

But, I guess that explains why Beam overrides other abilities. Usually when you suck up 2 abilities at once it creates something random. But not with beam - it overrides everything else.
It's one of my least favourites too tbh
I'm pretty sure that's bull****, I've gotten a Mix with Beam in there

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Palutena
I don't even know where to begin
It's not even just her moveset, her whole character in Smash is disappointing
Yep. This. She has so much personality, but her Smash appearance is so boring.

I was also hoping DK would get a bit of an overhaul. I'd like a new Side B and Up B.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Beam use to be my least favorite ability until it got its Super Star overhaul. I really love it now, I love the fun crazy stuff you can do with it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

There seems to be a bit more of a high standard thrown towards female characters compared to male characters. I've kinda noticed this when I looked through some pages on the internet that talked about controversial characters and the more commonly mentioned ones tend to be female....

Which is probably why I'm a bit more cautious by how I design my character, I should probably make some concept artworks and ask around which design's and personalities people like more or something.....

I do agree that it would be nice to see female characters being able to explore more horizons like their male comrades do.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Probably Palutena.
I can still have fun with her (with customs), but it was really disappointing considering she was probably my third most wanted character. And the infamous Palutena leak actually made me buy Uprising and love both the game and the character. I hope she gets some major buffs in the next game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's one of my least favourites too tbh
I'm pretty sure that's bull****, I've gotten a Mix with Beam in there
It might depend on the game, but I'm fairly certain it's like that in Kirby's adventure

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know where these originally came from but they're such cute lil' Sanics.

They look like they could be mobile phone icons, for a theme or something?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't know where these originally came from but they're such cute lil' Sanics.

A bit off tangent, but I always really liked the idea of a more chibi/small Sonic, of the things I actually give Runners credit for. It helps give him his classic feel while not ditching elements of Modern.

Am I alone on that or...?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Hello new avatar.
A bit off tangent, but I always really liked the idea of a more chibi/small Sonic, of the things I actually give Runners credit for. It helps give him his classic feel while not ditching elements of Modern.

Am I alone on that or...?
I like it too, one of the reasons I love the Sonic Nenodroid so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom