• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also I think Federation Force looks much better... But one thing that doesn't convince me is the art-style...

It looks overly chibified and doesn't compliment the source material very well either...

I hope that future games in the series don't use this art direction.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well he's not WRONG.

At any rate, you should probably define further what specific Kirby and Star Fox titles you want those series to stay closest to in style. The matter of Paper Mario and Metroid has been established countless times, but the Kirby and Star Fox series haven't really been addressed all that much before and any vagueness just makes it that much harder to pinpoint what specifically is wrong.
He ain't right either but y'know "Having a negative view on something based on what's been shown is wrong even though you have to base your impressions off of what's been seen!" seems to be the popular attitude right now.

The Kirby issue is literally in there.
It's basically Triple Deluxe with Mechs. Triple Deluxe was a ****ty borefest in every possible way.
Use Kirby 64's copy ability shenanigans and make the game as engaging as Return to Dreamland.

Star Fox's issue was also named and it's prevalent everywhere.
Don't do a ****ing reboot. Give us a new story instead without crappy motion controls being forced in and actually make the game look like it was released in modern times instead of eight years prior. Also give it a proper multiplayer like it had way back on the N64. Literally just expand on Assault.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Does anyone know why they didn't decide to dub #FE?

I mean was it licensing issues or maybe it was too expensive or something I'm missing?

I hope that future games in the series don't use this art direction.
Of course they aren't

It's a spinoff

Mainline mario games dknt use the paper aesthetic, not all LoZ are toon games, etc etc
Does anyone know why they didn't decide to dub #FE?

I mean was it licensing issues or maybe it was too expensive or something I'm missing?
Not worth dubbing a game 10 people will play.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's basically Triple Deluxe with Mechs. Triple Deluxe was a ****ty borefest in every possible way.
Use Kirby 64's copy ability shenanigans and make the game as engaging as Return to Dreamland.
Now this I can agree on, it runs on the same engine as TD, so it's somewhat of a rehash with added content and extra features.
It's almost like ever since TD they've been rehashing things for simplicity's sake...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Kirby was always simplistic, not to mention if the game was fun and Improved on, what's so bad?
No don't get the wrong idea, I love Triple Deluxe, but what I meant by simplicity was reusing assets from RTD.
It's far from a bad game but I think there should be a bit more originality, like previous games in the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No don't get the wrong idea, I love Triple Deluxe, but what I meant by simplicity was reusing assets from RTD.
It's far from a bad game but I think there should be a bit more originality, like previous games in the series.
The setting is very new for Kirby standards and the added abilities are something one couldn't expect. The mech also looks less gimmicky as Super Abilities and Hypernova

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Kirby Games can use the same engine/formula while still keeping things plenty fresh and new, so I don't see it as much of an issue. It's an example of keeping things fun without having to resort to changing every little thing.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's still very new-looking for Kirby standards, and the mech looks like an exciting new feature, the doctor ability is the thing that I'm probably the most excited for too :4kirby:+:4drmario:.

I'm wondering if the Dr. Mario Amiibo will summon the Doctor ability.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Nice opinion, brah. I, for one, liked Triple Deluxe quite a bit. I also liked Rainbow Curse. As for Planet Robobot, I feel as though it's a Super Mario 3D World situation - unveil a lackluster (sorta) reveal trailer with footage that looks like rehash from a previous game. Then wait for a big event and let the fans know that the game actually has nice gimmicks and a plot that's relatively more complex and interesting than what they've shown the first time, while restoring the faith of said fans in the process.

Speaking of faith, Nintendo actually managed to restore mine with this Direct. I've seen better ones for sure, but the 2016 schedule as well as the contents of the Direct make it apparent that they wanna let us know the following: there's something for everybody. Rail shooters? Have a Star Fox that isn't mediocre. Indie platform action games? Have Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, etc. etc. I am in high spirits for E3.

Also, Bill Trinen rocks.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
He ain't right either but y'know "Having a negative view on something based on what's been shown is wrong even though you have to base your impressions off of what's been seen!" seems to be the popular attitude right now.

Star Fox's issue was also named and it's prevalent everywhere.
Don't do a ****ing reboot. Give us a new story instead without crappy motion controls being forced in and actually make the game look like it was released in modern times instead of eight years prior. Also give it a proper multiplayer like it had way back on the N64. Literally just expand on Assault.
Thing is that since Kirby Super Star people were begging for the series to return to Super Star, especially after Squeak Squad. TD didn't really introduce anything new, but PR has the mecha which is literally the animal buddys (precursor to the ability combinations) plus Super Star gameplay. With K64 they had to dumb down the game from Super Star in order to make having such a large number of combinations feasible, but even then 99% of them were useless gimmicks.

Who plays Starfox for the story? Does it matter who's disembodied head you blow up in the end? SF0's gameplay can't work without Gamepad use, and not a game that actually uses the Gamepad in some meaningful way has been a major complaint since the Wii U was released. SF multiplayer has always been boring and shallow in the Arwing, and I honestly don't see why people want them to waste time on the mode.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have an interesting story that happened recently:
I showed my classmates Hinawa's death scene for a MOTHER localization speech, they laughed at Flint hitting the others.
I'm not sure if today's generation can take a game like MOTHER 3 seriously, because I want everyone (including non-gamers) to play this game.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
But I don't agree at all on TD being a "****ty borefest", I've spent hours on that game, like it, KIU, and Smash 3DS, are my most played games for the system, so I don't agree.

Even after the main game there's still tons of post-game content to enjoy.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And now back to 4chan "Leaks" Pokemon Sun and Moon info again! On this episode,

STARTERS FIGHT BACK!
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25440415
This one's my favorite because of it's google translate:

pokemonSunandMoonLeak.png

This one's ok, but it's weird:
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25440688/leak

I love the looks of these though, but they are probably fake:

They come from a thread I can't link, because it's got a bad word in the url. These were not from the op of it though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I enjoyed Return to Dream Land, but I still haven't touched Triple Deluxe yet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And now back to 4chan "Leaks" Pokemon Sun and Moon info again! On this episode,

STARTERS FIGHT BACK!
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25440415
This one's my favorite because of it's google translate:
View attachment 99227

This one's ok, but it's weird:
http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/25440688/leak

I love the looks of these though, but they are probably fake:

They come from a thread I can't link, because it's got a bad word in the url. These were not from the op of it though.
UHHHHH CENSOR DODGE IN TRANSLATION

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Who plays Starfox for the story? Does it matter who's disembodied head you blow up in the end? SF0's gameplay can't work without Gamepad use, and not a game that actually uses the Gamepad in some meaningful way has been a major complaint since the Wii U was released. SF multiplayer has always been boring and shallow in the Arwing, and I honestly don't see why people want them to waste time on the mode.
Plenty of people play Star Fox for the story.
It can't work without the gamepad because Miyamoto is a has been hack that wants to shoehorn gimmicks in. Stick to Pikmin Shiggy.
Multiplayer of that vein has been in every previous SF game. I'd expect it in this one.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also while I'm here I may as well as this question.

@PushDustIn, does SG plan on covering the rumor about Nintendo funding Beyond Good & Evil 2?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Plenty of people play Star Fox for the story.
It can't work without the gamepad because Miyamoto is a has been hack that wants to shoehorn gimmicks in. Stick to Pikmin Shiggy.
Multiplayer of that vein has been in every previous SF game. I'd expect it in this one.
Everybody's been complaining about the story after 64. The shoehorned Andross battle in Adventures plus the addition of Krystal, (and probably a lot more then that since I've never played it,) Assault's inability to actually kill anybody off ruining most of it's serious scenes and basically just replacing the monkeys with bugs, and Command's multiple paths were all sore spots in the community.

It's not a useless gimmick and it's not shoehorned. The core problem in giving the player significant control of the camera in a rail shooter is that it requires you to look away from what you're potentially flying into. With the Gamepad you get 180º of camera control while still being able to look forwards. It's a major gameplay component that keeps it from being just another rail shooter.

The solution to fixing bad superfluous features is to cut them. I'm glad they're not wasting time on the multiplayer.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While not surprising Hyrule Warriors Legends getting a season pass but if the Wii U season pass told me anything, we might get moar characters in the season pass (not counting Medli)

But I'm loving how quickly the roster keeps on expanding :dkmelee:

On Wii U at launch: 13 characters
Post launch update for Wii U: 3 characters
Wii U DLC: 3 characters (5 if you count Ganon & Cucco)
3DS: 5 characters
3DS free DLC: 1 character

Curious who's next though

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
While not surprising Hyrule Warriors Legends getting a season pass but if the Wii U season pass told me anything, we might get moar characters in the season pass (not counting Medli)

But I'm loving how quickly the roster keeps on expanding :dkmelee:

On Wii U at launch: 13 characters
Post launch update for Wii U: 3 characters
Wii U DLC: 3 characters (5 if you count Ganon & Cucco)
3DS: 5 characters
3DS free DLC: 1 character

Curious who's next though
I'm very excited for Medli actually, she was one of my most wanted characters...

Now I hope that they let him loose...
(You all know who I mean)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Everybody's been complaining about the story after 64. The shoehorned Andross battle in Adventures plus the addition of Krystal, (and probably a lot more then that since I've never played it,) Assault's inability to actually kill anybody off ruining most of it's serious scenes and basically just replacing the monkeys with bugs, and Command's multiple paths were all sore spots in the community.

It's not a useless gimmick and it's not shoehorned. The core problem in giving the player significant control of the camera in a rail shooter is that it requires you to look away from what you're potentially flying into. With the Gamepad you get 180º of camera control while still being able to look forwards. It's a major gameplay component that keeps it from being just another rail shooter.

The solution to fixing bad superfluous features is to cut them. I'm glad they're not wasting time on the multiplayer.
"Everybody"

There aren't exactly many rail shooters on the market for SF to be considered "Just another one."

The solution is to look at the issues and fix them instead of removing them despite it being had in multiple entries.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm starting to think I'm the only one who enjoyed all five Star Fox games even if Command was kind of icky.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I showed my classmates Hinawa's death scene for a MOTHER localization speech, they laughed at Flint hitting the others.
I'm not sure if today's generation can take a game like MOTHER 3 seriously, because I want everyone (including non-gamers) to play this game.
Your average modern gamer doesn't play games for their stories, that's why games like League of Legends, Hearthstone and CS:GO are the most popular games, competitive online multiplayer games that can also be played casually is the hot stuff right now. Nothing wrong with those games of course, but they're just examples of what's popular atm. A game like Mother 3 is exactly the opposite of what your average modern gamer is looking for in a game, it's a singleplayer JRPG which heavily relies on a heartfelt and sincere story, your average Joe just can't be convinced to play that sort of game.

Undertale has obviously been a big success which does contradict my point, but it's been very lucky to have big profiles like Totalbiscuit recommend it and it has an online fanbase that's hard to ignore, it's not exactly become popular because of the type of game that it is but mostly out of the attention that's been brought to it.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well to be fair, was it out of context?
I mean I'm just saying you need to know the whole thing to understand what happened. Just showing that alone and expecting people to be sad is hoping at best.

It'd be like if I showed any of the deaths in Undertale's Genocide Runs to people who don't give a crap about it. Why should I expect anything apart from indifference?

And on top of this I doubt a couple students probably bored as hell in school are the proper representation of an entire generation.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Undertale has obviously been a big success which does contradict my point, but it's been very lucky to have big profiles like Totalbiscuit recommend it and it has an online fanbase that's hard to ignore, it's not exactly become popular because of the type of game that it is but mostly out of the attention that's been brought to it.
Going off of that, a big issue is accessibility, as well. While getting Undertale is extremely easy to do (be it through Steam or through the official website), Mother 3? Not so much. Most people wouldn't be bothered with getting an emulator and a fan translation up to play it.

Accessibility's a huge barrier for these sorts of things.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
"Everybody"

There aren't exactly many rail shooters on the market for SF to be considered "Just another one."

The solution is to look at the issues and fix them instead of removing them despite it being had in multiple entries.
Never heard anybody say anything good about Starfox's plot. It's just an excuse to shoot things. Likewise, if an action game wouldn't sell without a story then you need to rethink the gameplay.

So it's okay for Starfox to rehash but not Kirby?

They're not possible to be fixed, and it's not worth spending budget trying to fix it. Put it to what people actually buy the game for.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I thought it was a prequel...

Samus is still part of the federation...

Is there something I'm missing?
Samus has always been an independent bounty hunter who gets hired by the GFed a number of times...she's kinda like a freelancer...

Anyway FF is a follow-up to Prime 3, but it is still a spin-off title...because it is a side mission that's not part of the main storyline of Metroid...kinda like a side mission...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom