• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Keep in mind, Ganondorf's the worst character in Brawl and the third worst in Sm4sh. Declonification could do more for him than proper characterization.
Well, according to sakurai his fans love being slow, low tier captain falcons

He'd never betray them

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ganondorf still being a semi-clone is pretty much for the same reason as all other veterans never got complete revamps from one game to another, save for a bunch of new moves sometimes and other such aesthetic differences.

All other clones still remain derivatives. Even Luigi still retains plenty of similarities to Mario. Falco and Roy are other such examples.

I can see why people want a more canon Ganon (I would like to see it too), but keeping him as is does have its merits. Conceiving a new moveset for him would take effort that could be spent on an actual newcomer.

Ganondorf could get even more changes in the future but, judging by precedent, lingering similarities to Falcon will always remain.

I could argue that, had Melee been given a less tight development cycle and they hadn't decided on doing clones (in favor of more unique characters like King Dedede and Wario), Ganondorf could've avoided this fate. Likewise, we may have not seen characters like Dr. Mario, Falco and Roy in Smash Bros. at all.

Makes you think how the pressured development of Melee influenced the series in the long run...

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
http://imgur.com/a/cVK7T

Someone ran Undertale through a text corruptor that scrambled and corrupted the game's text... some of the results are kinda hilarious, especially "The fridge? You want to have the whole fridge?! Please do not come back."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Day 15 : Favorite controller

...I feel like you were expecting something else, no ?

Day 16 : Favorite Nintendo platformer

If you know me, you should already know the drill. ;)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I've gotten used to Ganondorf just using punches and kicks, just replace moves like his up tilt and up smash. The king of evil shouldn't be so god damn flexible.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does drawing a story with anthropomorphic animals in it make you a furry

Even if you don't believe in having a "Fursona" or making any of that junk part of your every day life?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
These are the games in order where I was most excited about and looking forward to new Character Reveals:
  1. Smash 4 (duh)
  2. Hyrule Warriors
  3. Pokken Tournament
  4. Hyrule Warriors Legends (yh I stopped caring by this point. Tetra & Red Lions was great)
I didn't follow SF5 as I don't have the console.
The thing that people forget is before Twilight Princess and Wind Waker...Ganondorf never had a sword (except for the Space World Demo). Therefore since he was conceived in Melee, it makes perfect sense not to have a sword.
And yet it currently makes no sense whatsoever not to evolve his moveset to match what Ganondorf has become.

The subject of Ganondorf's moveset reminded me that I really, really want to see this recreated in Smash 4.

Though I'd rather like to see a mixture of the two forms, make all his normal moves use the sword but give him the warping, floating, and of course, the Dead Man's Volley. He can keep Warlock Choke though, that move is great.
I still want him to be 1/2 as is, 1/4 new magic and 1/4 sword based.

Basically change him into a quasi-clone like Wolf. He doesn't need to change completely just around half of it, some moves might even just be mostly aesthetic changes. Give him 2 different Specials and change up some of his normal moves.

Add a sword to some of his attacks. Whatever would work.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Started watching SAO again, episode 4...

>Little loli girl
>Gets lots of fanservice
>Kirito helps her because "You look like my sister" except not really but that's still creepy
>She develops a clear crush on Kirito
>She calls him "big brother" by the end of it

PLEASE, stop that!

Also, there was a character named Rosalia with a big bang over her right eye and she was portrayed as kinda sexy. What a funny coinicidence. :V

Tom13

Smash Apprentice
Etika streamed Fire Emblem: Awakening last night on Tiki's Paralogue, and I went to bed after seeing some of it live around 11, if anyone here was there, did he lose Tiki or anyone else or did he get Tiki?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Does drawing a story with anthropomorphic animals in it make you a furry

Even if you don't believe in having a "Fursona" or making any of that junk part of your every day life?
Drawing them, no. Drawing a story where the anthropomorphic design is irrelevent to the story, no (just makes people suspect that you can't draw people). A story where the design clashes with themes explored or M rated material is involved, yes.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I've gotten used to Ganondorf just using punches and kicks, just replace moves like his up tilt and up smash. The king of evil shouldn't be so god damn flexible.
Says you.

But, I do agree. The best way to change him has always been give him his Wizard's Dropkick, make the Warlock Punch a Ground Pound, make his up-b like :4mewtwo:&:4palutena:, and speaking of Mewtwo, his NAir should be similar to Mewtwo's and Up-Smash is an uppercut

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Drawing them, no. Drawing a story where the anthropomorphic design is irrelevent to the story, no (just makes people suspect that you can't draw people). A story where the design clashes with themes explored or M rated material is involved, yes.
I don't think M-rated material has anything to do with it, since that can include violence.

I also don't think "clashing with themes explored" defines it, since that can include parody work.

Hell, Conker's Bad Fur Day is defined by the above two things and that's not really a game associated with furries.

"Furry" doesn't even really have a set in stone definition, even people in the furry fandom can't agree on what it is.

If you ask me, you're a furry if:

A) You simply identify as one and referring to yourself as one feels right to you. Also if you use furry related terms in your everyday lingo and see them as relevant.

B) You have an irrational bias for anthropomorphic animal characters and an irrational bias against humanoid characters. Yes, there are people like this, who automatically like anthro characters more, and humanoid characters less, JUST for being one or the other, regardless of actual quality of the character's concept/portrayals.

C) You are sexually attracted to anthropomorphic animal characters, specifically for being such and regardless of how sexualised they are in official material. What I mean is, I don't really call people who only find a very small number of anthros sexy. Usually when this is the case, it's because the character is EXPLICITLY designed to have sex appeal (e.g Krystal, Rouge, Lola-Bunny, Berri, etc). But if you find like, Sonic or Fox sexy, or a My Little Pony character sexy, then yeah I'd say that makes you a furry, even more so if you like to look at drawings of them with sexualised bodies (since you are then forcing sex appeal onto these characters when it doesn't exist to begin with).

These are at least three definite scenarios where the term "fury" is fitting, IMO.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Since when does Ganondorf teleport?
Ganondorf has used warping abilities many times as Ganon during the Zelda games...such as in ALttP...

He is a being capable of using all sorts of dark magic, and it is even implied in Smash with his entrance animation...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We've had three games now where Ganondorf's moveset has been based on C. Falcon's, I feel once a new game rolls around it's too late for it to really change as many people have become attached to Fighterdorf. Of course it sucks for people who are fans of Ganondorf as a character as his moveset isn't in line with how he appears in the games, but it's a sensitive subject at this point, if Ganondorf was given a huge revamp we'd lose a very popular character, and even if his moveset was given to another character like Black Shadow it wouldn't really be the same, there are people who have mained the character for 15 years at this point. I would only expect him to be given minor tweaks in the future like what's happened each installment so far, fan-created movesets will have to satisfy Ganondorf's fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ganondorf has used warping abilities many times as Ganon during the Zelda games...such as in ALttP...

He is a being capable of using all sorts of dark magic, and it is even implied in Smash with his entrance animation...
I'm talking about Ganondorf aka Gerudo Ganon not Beast Ganon
While they are the same character, they posses different abilities and every game with them acknowledges that
Also
Teleportation=/=magic portal

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
We've had three games now where Ganondorf's moveset has been based on C. Falcon's, I feel once a new game rolls around it's too late for it to really change as many people have become attached to Fighterdorf. Of course it sucks for people who are fans of Ganondorf as a character as his moveset isn't in line with how he appears in the games, but it's a sensitive subject at this point, if Ganondorf was given a huge revamp we'd lose a very popular character, and even if his moveset was given to another character like Black Shadow it wouldn't really be the same, there are people who have mained the character for 15 years at this point. I would only expect him to be given minor tweaks in the future like what's happened each installment so far, fan-created movesets will have to satisfy Ganondorf's fans.
Falcon fans will be lost, or at least appear to be less of them.
Depending on how and what the changes are, new fans would be made as well. Maybe even more than what was lost.

If I was the Director I'd change it regardless of the fans. It would be a mix between falcondorf/dark magic/sword(with possible alts making it change aesthetically to a trident)

The fans are in the minority. It would be okay.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well he did trap Zelda in a crystal and warp it to his castle in Ocarina unless I'm remembering wrong.

D

Deleted member

Oh my ****ing god the Gravity Falls finale
I loved all the callbacks they made and it was hilarious all along
But goddamnit if I didn't cry when Stan got his memory erased
And Mabel wasn't helping with that
It's sad to see the series end though

Also
"Does this thing have any gunswords? Because I watch anime and trust me, you'll want some gunswords"
"What is a anime?"
"We have much to discuss..."
If a canon Zelda game had Ganondorf attacking as Falcondorf, would everyone be ok with his Smash portrayal?
There are already two actually
They're called Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Am I the only one who doesn't really mind Falcondorf? Like... I don't think he's that disgraceful of a character.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I'm on the side of where I love Ganon with how he is. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't object to any changes. While I feel like a huge overhaul to his character is out of the question, there are a few changes that I would like to see.

• Make his Sword custom the default B. Either replace the fast warlock punch with the original one, or replace that custom with a projectile at the end of it, similar to what he would do in Ocarina of Time.
  • Changing his Up-B to a teleport could be a nice change. However, I feel like having a hovering recovery could also work (think the Project M hover but as an Up-B).
  • While I love Ganon's D-Smash, having him hit the ground with his fist and having dark magic hit people could be a nice change.
There's probably a few other ones I could make, but this could be a good start to making Ganon less of a clone to Captain Falcon.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Now that I think about it, did Ganon really ever need "his own sword"?
Sure he had one in TP, and if you count Toon Ganon there's also one in WW, but he seems to have more in common with tridents than swords.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now that I think about it, did Ganon really ever have his own sword?
Sure he had one in TP, and if you count Toon Ganon there's also one in WW, but he seems to have more in common with tridents than swords.
It's that he has a taunt involving his sword and that he has one on his victory screens. Had those not been there, people wouldn't yell 'GIMME SWORD'

Burruni

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it, did Ganon really ever have his own sword?
It isn't even HIS sword in TP.
It's the sword that the sages tried to execute him with.
And the blades in WW alongside the fighting in general was very very close to the Gerudo's Scimitars from OoT/MM

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Am I the only one who doesn't really mind Falcondorf? Like... I don't think he's that disgraceful of a character.
I never did.

I just don't want him to be trash anymore. I think that's majority of the reason why people complain so much about Ganondorf is that he gotten worst after Melee.

Although that was when he was a FULL clone of Falcon than a Semi-Clone

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It's that he has a taunt involving his sword and that he has one on his victory screens. Had those not been there, people wouldn't yell 'GIMME SWORD'
The victory animation sword is again a leftover from the Space World Demo. Since that model was used, I guess Sakurai figured "why not?" I still remember that Brawl page where Sakurai introduced Ganondorfs new taunt...I laughed so hard.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly.
As someone who loves their ThunderCougarFalconDorf.
I agree that a significant bit of the vocal minority clamoring for swords & magic in Dorf is because of how he's been so crushed in Brawl and Smash 4.
And part of that in general is in differences of the games' engines.
But there are two major things that have kept Dorf where he is.
A) How attrociously slow he became post-Melee especially with no glitchiness of wavedashing to compensate.
B) The loss of the double jump refresh off of Wizard's foot.

We're left with someone with one of the absolute worst speeds in the game, and unlike most slow characters he doesn't have much air speed of a projectile to help in neutral as well as having one of the most pitiful recoveries IN the game.

:4falcon: being about A tier and :4ganondorf: being on the bottom rung really says in that difference of raw mobility if nothing else.

Edit: What Dorf needs isn't an overhaul to give him a better neutral game, he just needs his kit tweaked to function as more than combo bait with some heavy heavy punishes.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The victory animation sword is again a leftover from the Space World Demo. Since that model was used, I guess Sakurai figured "why not?" I still remember that Brawl page where Sakurai introduced Ganondorfs new taunt...I laughed so hard.
And since then, Sakurai said 'You want swords? Fine, here's more Fire Emblem, Shulk, Cloud and more!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom