• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We are constantly working to improve our videos and podcast! GameXplain has a couple hundred videos on us, but we will catch up~ if you want to help us out donate to our patreon. As of right now, we can't afford better equipment.
"Hi my name is PushDustIn.

You should give me money, because I like money."

I kid. I kid.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well you are here just in time! I just saw this:

Supposedly this confirms Masuda Will NOT be going to E3. Is this correct?

And SG is doing great as is! Don't sweat it! I wish I could donate to the patreon, but I cannot sadly. I hope you guys can get the money for you equipment though.
Oh Eve follows me on Twitter! Didn't know she'd be asked about something with Pokemon.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So to go a step further, would you all be happy if Smash Bros Zero Suit Samus was modeled more like and had a costume of her Super Metroid design?

Maybe a set of alternate costumes with the hair let down?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Too much feels, so much powerful scenes, and finally the most fitting way to put things to a close. Gravity Falls is one of these shows that really gave me some faith in Disney's animated programming since Phineas & Ferb.

I'll miss Dipper, I'll miss Soos, I'll miss Mabel, I'll miss Grunkle Stan, I'll definitely miss Bill, and I'll miss all the other crazy characters in Gravity Falls. At least there's still Star Butterfly and Wander Over Yander to give me that Disney fix.

This information isn't helpful on it's own. Why, exactly, will you never be happy with ZSS?
25% irrational hate that won't leave
25% jealousy that she has been better better than power suit samus twice now.
25% annoyance that they added a character pretty much out of thin air from 1 "major" appearance.
25% annoyance that the moveset wasn't made up enough as is that they needed to add jet heels.

ZSS and miis are the only 2 characters in smash history that I look at and go "goddammit"

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This information isn't helpful on it's own. Why, exactly, will you never be happy with ZSS?
Because she will always be superior than the Power Suit version.

What? It was a good guess.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
25% irrational hate that won't leave
25% jealousy that she has been better better than power suit samus twice now.
25% annoyance that they added a character pretty much out of thin air from 1 "major" appearance.
25% annoyance that the moveset wasn't made up enough as is that they needed to add jet heels.
Because she will always be superior than the Power Suit version.

What? It was a good guess.
Weeeeell, it looks like you were 25% correct! :p

Anyway, if she were nerfed and Power Suit Samus were buffed sufficiently enough that Power Suit Samus was objectively higher tier than Zero Suit Samus, the Zero Suit saw more use in the Metroid games in a way that wasn't frustrating, and if the jet heels went away, do you think that would fix most of the problem?

Last edited:
Weeeeell, it looks like you were 25% correct! :p

Anyway, if she were nerfed and Power Suit Samus were buffed sufficiently enough that Power Suit Samus was objectively higher tier than Zero Suit Samus, the Zero Suit saw more use in the Metroid games in a way that wasn't frustraring, and if the jet heels went away, do you think that would fix most of the problem?
Maybe. The problem is that it would probably be really hard to make ZSS have an actual role in Metroid without either
A. feeling like they are recycling Zero Mission
or
B. Pulling anOther M

If, and this is a big if, they can properly make ZSS feel relevant to Metroid and actually utilize the stuff she has in smash i'll probably be ok with it.

That of course means we have to start getting Metroid games featuring Samus though :laugh:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Anyway, if she were nerfed and Power Suit Samus were buffed sufficiently enough that Power Suit Samus was objectively higher tier than Zero Suit Samus, the Zero Suit saw more use in the Metroid games in a way that wasn't frustrating, and if the jet heels went away, do you think that would fix most of the problem?

No.

Because salty people will always be salty.

Zero Suit was present in Other M, at any rate.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
"Hi my name is PushDustIn.

You should give me money, because I like money."

I kid. I kid.
I think people forget just how much work we've done for the Smash community. It might be a bit egotistical but I consider there to be two eras in Smash speculation. Pre-Source Gaming and post.

We have cleaned up a lot of the misinformation, mistranslations, and misinformation that existed in the English side of the Smash community. Without us people wouldn't be aware of most of the information that came out in the last two years. People would still believe that Smash 64 was originally a SNES game, that Pit was planned for 64, Wolf was planned for Melee, that Ice Climbers had a left over chant (even GameXplain fell for this).

They wouldn't know that Takamaru was considered, Heihachi, PacMan design controversy, Palutena almost delaying the game not to mention the 34 Famitsu Column translations, and dozens of research articles we have compiled like Misconceptions about Clones, Ganondorf and Wario breakdown, Sakurai Didn't Say That, Definitive Unused Fighter List, Is Sakurai a Liar? And more. Oh and the data mining for the 3Ds and Wii U was done by me...

We've stopped blog sites from copying and pasting our entire translations. Still working on getting more credit though.

...and that's only some of it.

It's a full time job, one that Source Gaming doesn't get a lot of recognition from. For the past year I've been working two full jobs essentially.

I'm actually taking this next week off from SG related duties because I need to recharge myself. I also just joined the gym.

Edit: not directed at Swamp, just venting my general frustration.
EDIT2: Cleaned up my mobile auto-correct. I swear my phone hates me ;_;

Last edited:
I think people forget just how much work we've done for the Smash community. It might be a bit egotistical but I consider there to be two eras in Smash speculation. Pre-Source Gaming and post.

We have cleaned up a lot of the misinformation, mistranslations, and misinformation that existed in the English side of the Smash community. Without us people would be aware of most of the information that came out in the last two years. People would still believe that Smash 64 was originally a SNES game, that Pit wad planned for 64, Wolf was planned for Melee, that Ice Climbers had a left over chant (even GameXplain fell for this).

They wouldn't know that Takamaru was considered, Heihachi, PacMan design controversy, Palutena almost delaying the game not to mention the 34 Famitsu Column translations, and dozens of research articles we have compiled like Misconceptions about Clones, Ganondorf and Wait breakdown, Sakurai Didn't Say That, Definitive Unused Fighter List, Is Sakurai a Liar? And more. Oh and the data mining for the 3Ds and Wii U was done by me...

We've stopped blog sites from copying and pasting our entire translations. Still working on getting more credit though.

And that's only some of it.
It's a full time job, one that Source Gaming doesn't get a lot of recognition from. For the past year I've been working two full jobs essentially.

I'm actually taking this next week off from SG related duties because I need to recharge myself. I also just joined the gym.

This just made me remember someone not believing something because they wanted a more "reliable" translator. Gave me a good chuckle.

*Something about great people not getting recognition until their time being over goes here*

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

We have cleaned up a lot of the misinformation, mistranslations, and misinformation that existed in the English side of the Smash community. Without us people wouldn't be aware of most of the information that came out in the last two years. People would still believe that Smash 64 was originally a SNES game, that Pit was planned for 64, Wolf was planned for Melee, that Ice Climbers had a left over chant (even GameXplain fell for this).

They wouldn't know that Takamaru was considered, Heihachi, PacMan design controversy, Palutena almost delaying the game not to mention the 34 Famitsu Column translations, and dozens of research articles we have compiled like Misconceptions about Clones, Ganondorf and Wario breakdown, Sakurai Didn't Say That, Definitive Unused Fighter List, Is Sakurai a Liar? And more. Oh and the data mining for the 3Ds and Wii U was done by me...

...and that's only some of it.

EDIT2: Cleaned up my mobile auto-correct. I swear my phone hates me ;_;
I was just joking man....

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
This just made me remember someone not believing something because they wanted a more "reliable" translator. Gave me a good chuckle.

*Something about great people not getting recognition until their time being over goes here*
Yeah that's another thing that really annoys me. We have 2 professional translators on staff, a native bilingual and 3 other people studying Japanese (including myself). Translations don't go up without being checked. Not saying we can't get things wrong...but 99% of the time it's going to be great.

It really worries me that sites like NintendoEverything is starting to do translations done by one person, without it being checked before going live. Compare their Wario should bash translation to ours. They messed up a lot of little things (i.e; calling the ledge a "cliff").

You guys have been getting professional translations for free. In fact, I usually spend my own money to buy the magazines/ books. I've spent over 100 USD easily on buying all these columns.

I was just joking man....
I know, not directed at you. Just venting my general frustration.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm currently on Celica's mission in Xenoblade X and all I can say is:

She's my Xenoblade waifu now.

And Wir fliegen is the best track I've heard out of all Xenoblade X music.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think it's best if I just start asking all the questions of this community that I can and see what answers I can get. If my inquiry doesn't lead to a good explanation of how something could be fixed up, I focus on other inquiries for a while and then pose the question again. For example, my ZSS inquiry has led to a fairly simple solution: Ditch the heels, nerf her to hell, and give her an actual role in the games. That's a very crude way of putting it, but I just thought it sounded fun. However, I think there are countless other complaints in the fandom that have the problem stated far more than it's solution. What I would like to do is follow the problems down to their roots and try to come up with simplified solutions as best I can. Since I think the Zero Suit Samus inquiry has addressed most of the problems surrounding her (impractical heels, constantly being higher tier than her supposedly more powerful counterpart, her lack of prescence in the Metroid games, and the mole), I think it's time to pose a new question and see if more clear cut descriptions of the answers will follow. To which I pose:

Aside from the fact that he is a clone, what exactly makes Ganondorf's moveset disloyal to the games he is from?

Last edited:
Listening to Xenoblade Chronicles music makes me sad X doesn't have any music I like even remotely as much as the original.
I think it's best if I just start asking all the questions of this community that I can and see what answers I can get. If my inquiry doesn't lead to a good explanation of how something could be fixed up, I focus on other inquiries for a while and then pose the question again. For example, my ZSS inquiry has led to a fairly simple solution: Ditch the heels, nerf her to hell, and give her an actual role in the games. That's a very crude way of putting it, but I just though it sounded fun. However, I think there are countless other complaints in the fandom that have the problem stated far more than it's solution. What I would like to do is follow the problems down to their roots and try to come up with simplified solutions as best I can. Since I think the Zero Suit Samus inquiry has addressed most of the problems surrounding her (impractical heels, constantly being higher tier than her supposedly more powerful counterpart, her lack of prescence in the Metroid games, and the mole), I think it's time to pose a new question and see if more clear cut descriptions of the answers will follow. To which I pose:

Aside from the fact that he is a clone, what exactly makes Ganondorf's moveset disloyal to the games he is from?
Hoo boy if you're trying to track every problem and every reason for that problem you're gonna be at this for a while. The smash community LOVES to have problems (I am no exception)

I am not enough into Zelda enough to give you a real concrete answer like you want but as far as I can tell it's a lack of sword and magic use.

This article may help you a little more. Maybe. Not sure.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Listening to Xenoblade Chronicles music makes me sad X doesn't have any music I like even remotely as much as the original.

Hoo boy if you're trying to track every problem and every reason for that problem you're gonna be at this for a while. The smash community LOVES to have problems (I am no exception)

I am not enough into Zelda enough to give you a real concrete answer like you want but as far as I can tell it's a lack of sword and magic use.

This article may help you a little more. Maybe. Not sure.
The thing that people forget is before Twilight Princess and Wind Waker...Ganondorf never had a sword (except for the Space World Demo). Therefore since he was conceived in Melee, it makes perfect sense not to have a sword.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think it's best if I just start asking all the questions of this community that I can and see what answers I can get. If my inquiry doesn't lead to a good explanation of how something could be fixed up, I focus on other inquiries for a while and then pose the question again. For example, my ZSS inquiry has led to a fairly simple solution: Ditch the heels, nerf her to hell, and give her an actual role in the games. That's a very crude way of putting it, but I just thought it sounded fun. However, I think there are countless other complaints in the fandom that have the problem stated far more than it's solution. What I would like to do is follow the problems down to their roots and try to come up with simplified solutions as best I can. Since I think the Zero Suit Samus inquiry has addressed most of the problems surrounding her (impractical heels, constantly being higher tier than her supposedly more powerful counterpart, her lack of prescence in the Metroid games, and the mole), I think it's time to pose a new question and see if more clear cut descriptions of the answers will follow. To which I pose:

Well...

Ganondorf, in addition to being a brute that he is in Smash, is actually very adept at magic, and is usually a lot more reliant on it than his physical strength which was mainly used as a last resort sort of thing in the games...Dead Man's Volley is probably one of the most iconic mechanics used in boss fights in Zelda games, and has made an appearance in every game since it was introduced in ALttP...Ganondorf (or just Ganon if you will) is usually the one who uses such attacks...long story short Ganondorf should have a projectile...the closest we have for a 'Dead Man's Volley' projectile is Dedede's Gordo which is janky AF in comparison...

Recovery... sure he's a heavy, he's harder to send flying so the need for a better recovery isn't as great as it is for lighter characters...but as said Ganondorf is very adept at magic...He has the ability to levitate and warp in the games...Now I'm not saying we should grant him Peach's floating and Mewtwo Teleport or anything, but something to make him seem a bit more capable when off stage...

A weapon... While Ganondorf's current moveset was more or less based on his OoT appearance which has him use no weapon (save for Phantom Ganon and Beast Ganon)...Since then he has at least used a sword as shown in TP and WW...However the Trident is a notable weapon for Ganon at the very least...
This is something I don't have too much of a problem with but it is something that the fanbase has expressed a desire for...so far the best we got is one custom special...

Last edited:
The thing that people forget is before Twilight Princess and Wind Waker...Ganondorf never had a sword (except for the Space World Demo). Therefore since he was conceived in Melee, it makes perfect sense not to have a sword.
And ZSS never had a whip :troll:

Sorry it was relevant and I had to don't take this seriosuly

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still think he should have had a trident

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

This article may help you a little more
Hah, I'm sure it will be a long slog. The sheer number of complaints and the lack of explanation behind them is all the more reason why I should look into things whenever I'm not too lazy to, though.
The lack of swords and magic with the fist combat is the problem. Very little has Ganondorf relied on physical attacks such as kicks and punches to fight his enemies.

:094:
Well...

Ganondorf, in addition to being a brute that he is in Smash, is actually very adept at magic, and is usually a lot more reliant on it than his physical strength which was mainly used as a last resort sort of thing in the games...Dead Man's Volley is probably one of the most iconic mechanics used in boss fights in Zelda games, and has made an appearance in every game since it was introduced in ALttP...Ganondorf (or just Ganon if you will) is usually the one who uses such attacks...long story short Ganondorf should have a projectile...the closest we have for a 'Dead Man's Volley' projectile is Dedede's Gordo which is janky AF in comparison...

Recovery... sure he's a heavy, he's harder to send flying so the need for a better recovery isn't as great as it is for lighter characters...but as said Ganondorf is very adept at magic...He has the ability to levitate and warp in the games...Now I'm not saying we should grant him Peach's floating and Mewtwo Teleport or anything, but something to make him seem a bit more capable when off stage...

A weapon... While Ganondorf's current moveset was more or less based on his OoT appearance which has him use no weapon (save for Phantom Ganon and Beast Ganon)...Since then he has at least used a sword as shown in TP and WW...However the aforementioned Trident is a notable weapon for Ganon at the very least...
This is something I don't have too much of a problem with but it is something that the fanbase has expressed a desire for...so far the best we got is one custom special...
So essentially he lacks a focus on magic attacks. I shy away from the idea of slipping him a sword as there are certain portions of this fandom that would hiss at the mere sight of one at this point, so the general idea would be to give him the trident and a few projectile moves.

A better, more magic based recovery, a set of projectiles including a Dead Man's Volley-ready projectile, and a set of moves utilizing a trident. Does this sound about right to all of you? And perhaps equally importantly, would you all be willing to sacrifice the knowledge of his existing moveset and a potential new character in order to attain it?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The subject of Ganondorf's moveset reminded me that I really, really want to see this recreated in Smash 4.

Though I'd rather like to see a mixture of the two forms, make all his normal moves use the sword but give him the warping, floating, and of course, the Dead Man's Volley. He can keep Warlock Choke though, that move is great.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's just a video game. Let Sakurai make up whatever he wants for Smash. It's just there to add uniqueness to the fighters to stand out like :4falcon::4rob::4pit:&:4greninja:

But he breaks canon or he isn't going by his rules
M8, those issues are only prevalent due to a certain Purple Dragon and I ain't talking :4charizard:'s 8th Alternate Color

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The subject of Ganondorf's moveset reminded me that I really, really want to see this recreated in Smash 4.

Though I'd rather like to see a mixture of the two forms, make all his normal moves use the sword but give him the warping, floating, and of course, the Dead Man's Volley. He can keep Warlock Choke though, that move is great.
DAYUM! Forget the Sword...gimmie that OoT Ganon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom