• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yeah, the game is definitely more geared towards the FGC rather than the casual audience (the CFN thing is more than proof of it).

We eSports now
Despite the devs saying it'll be a lot easier for fans to get into than previous SF games

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What they're doing is smart because people will keep coming back to play with the new content instead of just playing the game for a few months and be done with it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Oh they told me the game was gutted!"
So? Only points gained are honesty.
Honesty means a whole lot in this industry.

"It's free!"
And should have been in the game at launch. Being free doesn't make it better.
It makes it loads better. Be honest, would you rather have it paid DLC or free?

And don't say, "ID RATHER HAVE IT IN AT LAUNCH" because that's dodging the question.

"It's functional"
How sad that this has to be said.
Hey. SFV did it right.

"Above and beyond"
With content that should have been in. You want above and beyond DLC? Play Witcher 3.
A lot of this content couldn't have been in by EVO.

That's what keeps Street Fighter alive.

"Fun"
Yeah and how long does that last?
Long time actually.

And we continue to condone these practices, Lord knows what they'll think up next.
I'm not condoning paying money for it. That is shady. I'm condoning making the content free.

Rough estimation for the average buyer: After they've done everything and then some.
A few months at most.
Smash doesn't have me playing much despite Corrin and Bayo being recently released and I'm not the average buyer.
Most people buy a few games and keep playing them.

You really aren't the average buyer.

Moreover, playtime spikes when new DLC is released. They're being smart about giving it a long life.

Honestly, this whole thing reminds me of the censorship argument. One side is getting emotional and moral about a business decision, even though we're still getting a high quality game and ultimately benefit of it.

You people don't care about the end result being better. You care about some moral code. Look at the big picture, not the immediate one. You're getting more bang for your buck.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What they're doing is smart because people will keep coming back to play with the new content instead of just playing the game for a few months and be done with it.
You're saying they are purposely withholding parts of the game to perpetuate interest in the game?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wrong.

Mewtwo started production before the Wii U version was released.
DLC plans started production before the Wii U version was released.
Miiverse was in a presentable state before the Wii U version's release.
Tournament Mode was in a presentable state before the Wii U version's release.

If you don't think they didn't start on some things until after the game was released, you're very naive.
You may want to read what he said again.

"2. Smash DLC was done after the base game was completed and was released quite some time after the game was released, being done from scratch."

Break it down into two parts.
a. Smash DLC was done after the base game was completed.

This is true.
While DLC started before the game was released, DLC started after production of the base game was completed.

b. Smash DLC was released quite some time after the game was released, being done from scratch.
This statement is also true. I shouldn't have to specifically explain why.

Also, Tournament Mode and Miiverse hardly qualify as DLC. You know that, Swamp.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
First of all, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Wii disks have more data than 3DS cartridges? Because you're Radiant Dawn comparison might not exactly work, I remember the 3DS being called a handheld gamecube in terms of what the system could run, not entirely fair comparing a Wii game then
This is exactly why it's 'okay' when Nintendo does it yet Capcom is getting bashed. Nintendo made that reputation yet didn't do any of that stuff, until recently. Granted, they aren't as bad as most companies but they're starting to do this a little. Microsoft has actually tried loads of damage control recently, yet if there's any controversy on a new IP or whatever, they'll get bashed, because of what they did in the past. Capcom was known to be scummy a while back, and they're trying to rebuild trust like this, but because fans aren't happy with the warning, they're being compared to back when you could unironically call them Crapcom
It doesn't matter who does it. It matters if it is done.

Nintendo should be as criticized as Capcom was in regards to the locking out content in the disc through amiibo, purposely to sell figures.

Then again, I've never been a fan of the idea of "interactive toys" in the first place (see Skylanders and similar stuff). It was begging to be a paywall for content in the game and lo' and behold, it is.

"2. Smash DLC was done after the base game was completed and was released quite some time after the game was released, being done from scratch."

This is true.
While DLC started before the game was released, DLC started after production of the base game was completed.

b. Smash DLC was released quite some time after the game was released, being done from scratch.
This statement is also true. I shouldn't have to specifically explain why.

You nailed it better than I ever would, so thanks.

With this, I'm off to sleep. Just don't let this amusing debate get too heated, folks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ew Kotaku
In all seriousness, here's the main difference between the 2 situations. EA built the game so that it was tedious and difficult to unlock the stuff without microtransactions, Capcom confirmed playing through Arcade mode once with all characters would net you a DLC character, which can be done fairly quickly, not to mention you gain in game currency from pretty much anything, including Training mode, AKA 'Do a Hadouken, get riches and *******'
I thought that had more to do with game mechanics than advertisement/financial junk?
It's actually both, because it's more newcomer friendly, they'll get the hang of it quickly, which means they'll try out everything to test their skill

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know, with all the complaints about modern gaming lately, I'm surprised no one has made a Kickstarter for a new kind of video game console. Considering how the Ouya Kickstarter took off despite just being a smartphone engine with a low pool of games in a TV box, a proper system's Kickstarter would probably be a gamer Mecca.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well.
Finished RWBY Season 3.

And I'm dropping the show at this point.

With me trying to get some clarity on what's going on with SFV turning into all this mess, I'm just popping off the site in general for a while.

See ya.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

This is true.
No it really didn't.

There's no way they could have a mode and stage in a presentable state without working on it for some time. And still...

There was data found for Tournament mode in the inital game, before any updates.

We had the music tracks for more than a year before they were used.

Production started before, or else those tracks wouldn't have been there.

The upload date is December which is when DeoxsysPrime uploaded the Smash original music including peices in the 3DS version like Trophy Shop.

This was also before any major updates.

So a mode doesn't count if its in Smash, but a mode counts if its in Street Fighter V?

You're cherry picking with that.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only have interest in this because of the continued release of unfinished games lately

I'm not actually going to buy SFV

Maybe when they release the final Super Turbo Hyper Tournament edition of SFV I may possible buy it

D

Deleted member

No it really didn't.

There's no way they could have a mode and stage in a presentable state without working on it for some time. And still...

It just isn't true.

There was data found for Tournament mode in the inital game, before any updates.

We had the music tracks for more than a year before they were used.

Production started before, or else those tracks wouldn't have been there.

So a mode doesn't count if its in Smash, but a mode counts if its in Street Fighter V?

You're cherry picking with that.
Considering I never once talked about SFV, how can I be "cherry picking?"
Pick your battles wisely, Swamp.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know, with all the complaints about modern gaming lately, I'm surprised no one has made a Kickstarter for a new kind of video game system along with a set of Kickstarters and polls for the games designed to address the complaints everyone has with the industry. Considering how the Ouya Kickstarter took off despite just being a smartphone engine with a low pool of games in a TV box, a proper system's Kickstarter would probably be a gamer Mecca.
If anything, kickstarter would make modern gaming worse judging by all the controversy about Shenmue III, Mighty Number 9, Tim Schafer's stuff

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

GameXplain's new Topic for their podcast or AKA how Source Gaming needs to step their game up. You hear that @PushDustIn

But as for disappointment in games. Try Megaman Battle Network 4, Resident Evil 6, Brutal Legends, Epic Mickey (I love to hear Opossum Opossum opinion on it) and Halo 4 which killed my love for Halo

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's cherry picking as you're saying free stuff in Smash doesn't count as DLC, yet the problem people have with this stuff is how it's not in the initial package, it's also free, but people are complaining there, but not in Smash

You know, with all the complaints about modern gaming lately, I'm surprised no one has made a Kickstarter for a new kind of video game system. Considering how the Ouya Kickstarter took off despite just being a smartphone engine with a low pool of games in a TV box, a proper system's Kickstarter would probably be a gamer Mecca.
That would not only take absurd amounts of funding, but even greater development teams. Multiple games meant to "right the wrongs" would mean multiple high end dev teams. Noe even assuming you can GET those teams then you have to pay them. Nice in theory, impossible in practice. There is a reason there are only 3 home consoles on the market.

EDIT oh you edited your post so now this post seems weird. My b

Finished RWBY Season 3.

And I'm dropping the show at this point.

D:
, I'm just popping off the site in general for a while.

See ya.
D:
Well uhhhh have fun away from the madness I suppose.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Considering the ultimate topic was Street Fighter, I assumed. I apologize for that.

Regardless, you're still cherry picking if you believe that Miiverse and Tournament Mode suddenly don't count as DLC when they were both advertised as such.

Even still, you never addressed the actual point I was making with Tournament Mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering the ultimate topic was Street Fighter, I assumed. I apologize for that.

Regardless, you're still cherry picking if you believe that Miiverse and Tournament Mode suddenly don't count as DLC when they were both advertised as such.

Even still, you never addressed the actual point I was making with Tournament Mode.
They were advertised as unfinished features that needed more time to be completed because of their relation to online.

Furthermore, they were automatically added to the game within a patch.
They didn't have to be purchased/downloaded separately to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They were advertised as unfinished features that needed more time to be completed because of their relation to online.

That's still DLC Golden...

They were even featured in the E3 DLC stream alongside other stages and LuRoyu.

And for others (aka Not Golden :p ) who think that Miiverse and Tournament mode are okay but Street Fighter V stuff isn't.... Well phooey.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Where is the post-release content for Street Fighter (cinematic story mode, etc) ever advertised as a separate purchase or download?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

GameXplain's new Topic for their podcast or AKA how Source Gaming needs to step their game up. You hear that @PushDustIn

But as for disappointment in games. Try Megaman Battle Network 4, Resident Evil 6, Brutal Legends, Epic Mickey (I love to hear Opossum Opossum opinion on it) and Halo 4 which killed my love for Halo
I have a lot but none I can name off the top of my head. I got them repressed.

A partial example would be Dead Island. I didn't buy into the reverse child through window hype but when I got the game I thought it would pick up from a sluggish start. The opening turned out to be the best part.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Thing is that's the same for SFV. Their content is not only free but it comes with an update moreso than something separate to buy

D

Deleted member

Which is the exact same with this SFV stuff actually
If that actually is the case (which I doubt there isn't more to this story), then there isn't much issue outside the sheer size of what's missing.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thing is that's the same for SFV. Their content is not only free but it comes with an update moreso than something separate to buy
Yeah. It's basically Miiverse but without the cringe and multiplied by a lot.

If that actually is the case (which I doubt there isn't more to this story), then there isn't much issue outside the sheer size of what's missing.
They've actually promised that EVERYTHING (HAPPY DAY) will be free and that there will be no re-releases.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "more to the story" though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Except it's being added. For free. In a patch. Outside of DLC characters which might could be free if you played enough to have enough ingame currency. If that doesn't count, then wouldn't Smash be bad with this as you can fight DLC characters online regardless if you buy them or not?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Isn't that the whole point of Miiverse though?

Why else would anyone ever care for that service/stage?
As another option for a legal stage but even then people just ban it because it's either that or Battlefield despite it having a smaller ceiling blastzone than BF

D

Deleted member

They've actually promised that EVERYTHING (HAPPY DAY) will be free and that there will be no re-releases.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "more to the story" though.
More than the bits and pieces I'm being told secondhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom