• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Can't wait for the Ed, Edd, n' Eddy reboot that replaces the iconic intro whistle with random punk rock music.

Or Courage the Dubstep Dog.

It's bad enough that Cartoon Network went downhill, but why did they have to dig up the past and drag it down with them?
CN is actually pretty decent these days.

SU is good, Gumball too, I heard Clerance was alright, not sure about the Bears thing but people seem to like it. TTG is their worst show by far but it doesn't really bring the network down (for the most part), and cancelling Young Justice was just a fail.

I mean yeah, it could be better and the rebooting needs to stop (I don't think anyone cares for another Ben 10), but it's much better off than it was years ago (NOTHING will be worse than CN Real).

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll give Cartoon Network this: Compared to Disney and especially Nickelodeon they're the lesser of the three evils.

Not saying they've not fell (they have), but it could be far worse.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

SU is good, Gumball too, I heard Clerance was alright, not sure about the Bears thing but people seem to like it. TTG is their worst show by far but it doesn't really bring the network down (for the most part), and cancelling Young Justice was just a fail.

I mean yeah, it could be better and the rebooting needs to stop (I don't think anyone cares for another Ben 10), but it's much better off than it was years ago (NOTHING will be worse than CN Real).
Teen Titans Go doesn't bring the network down, but as a fan of the original...it brings me down. ;_;
Also I saw an episode of We Bare Bears. It's pretty funny.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I mostly wonder when every cartoon started looking the same. Even this PPG reboot, while keeping the character designs, just looks like it may as well be a cameo in any number of other shows airing right now. It's weird and uncanny, but most of all it makes everything feel samey and unoriginal. Maybe I'm just getting old and this is just what HD does to everything.

D

Deleted member

I'll never understand the hate for TTG
We Bare Bears is great though
It made me cry because of a burrito

Burruni

Smash Hero
No I'm not crying all over again why do you ask?

Edit:
We Bare Bears is great though
It made me cry because of a burrito
It took an IP for a show, brought back the original voice actors, and made an entirely different show that really flanderizes the cast and on a NUMBER of occasions does things that seem like direct insults to old fans.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Like.
The best way I can describe why fans of the original show are largely against Go! is through example.
You had an action-drama of a cartoon series aimed for that 10-20 range. Like Young Justice or even Avatar.
This is what they did with it.
This is a highlighted clip that the owners of the product chose to promote as a "best of" for the show.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Take Shulk and give him his very simplified Smash personality.

Now make him into Toon Shulk, because we all know how well The Wind Waker's art style was first received.

Now flanderize him even further and remove any semblance of a plot. Every emotionally important part of the game is now treated as a joke and absolutely nothing is taken seriously. Spam the "I'm really feeling it" taunt repeatedly for good measure.

That's basically what happened from Teen Titans to Go.

D

Deleted member

Day 14 : A sequel you think should happen

It has been over 13 years we are waiting for the bottom line of what happens next.

Day 15 : Favorite controller

...I feel like you were expecting something else, no ?

D

Deleted member

Now make him into Toon Shulk, because we all know how well The Wind Waker's art style was first received.

Now flanderize him even further and remove any semblance of a plot. Every emotionally important part of the game is now treated as a joke and absolutely nothing is taken seriously. Spam the "I'm really feeling it" taunt repeatedly for good measure.

You mean turn him into a comedy spin-off aimed at children?
What a crime against humanity!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's the TTG hate from what I've seen. Beloved characters from a beloved show, using the same VA, but doing something completely different. Now that's not so bad, what IS bad is how the writers are morons. For instance, ignoring things established from the original and making an episode supposedly about Slade, which both fans and haters were curious to how he'd be handled...And then they forget about him and mock people who preferred an older thing

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had eggs for breakfast

Why can I make dishes that are much more sophisticated than just eggs but I can't make eggs?

I always mess them up

Burruni

Smash Hero
When that spin-off is the only thing that a series has gotten in 10 years and dedicates episodes to mock criticisms of the show; there's some justification to backlash.

Edit:
Here's the TTG hate from what I've seen. Beloved characters from a beloved show, using the same VA, but doing something completely different. Now that's not so bad, what IS bad is how the writers are morons. For instance, ignoring things established from the original and making an episode supposedly about Slade, which both fans and haters were curious to how he'd be handled...And then they forget about him and mock people who preferred an older thing
Beast Boy openly eats meat in some episodes but then returns to the claim of vegetarian in others.

And the "Slade" episode literally cut to still image transitions saying something along the lines of "a 6 episode arc and made-for-TV-movie later" and then have the character gush about experiencing the very things that fans of the original show said they loved.

Yeah. When I said they did some things that seem like open mocking of old fans, I do mean it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
TTG is kind of like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts in that it does what it sets out to do but it's not what was wanted or asked for.

At least Nuts and Bolts had it charms when you looked past the different gameplay.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's not that they turned something into a lighthearted comedy. It was that they turned a rather dark and serious show into a lighthearted comedy. ****, the original TT handled racism and PTSD

Eeeeeh Shulk's a base breaker, as people either love him or think he's bland as ****. Not the best comparison

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I do enjoy some of TTG, it has loads of problems, as others said. I don't like the mocking put in, but otherwise, meh.

Then again, it's not good quality like the Sonic Boom show is, imo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
List of sins of Teen Titans Go!:

- Humour best enjoyed by 5-8 year olds
- The first time Teen Titans have been on television for years and it's a letdown
- Complete lack of any depth to anything that happens on this show
- Incredibly lazy animation (YouTube animator quality)
- LOL SO RANDOM humour
- The show dedicates episodes to making fun of people who don't like it

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It isn't aiming at children

It's aiming at the lowest common denominator

Children liked Teen Titans just fine

Burruni

Smash Hero
Like..
Here's the characters, in their Go! personalities.

Robin: Neurotically obsessive leader.
Beast Boy: Lazy dumb jokester to the point of annoyance in frequent cases.
Cyborg: The same as Beast Boy. Except when the plot requires bringing up that he's part robot again.
Star Fire: Take a Valley Girl stereotype, and replace "Like" with "The."
Raven: Deadpan snark who's also a mlp-expy fan.

Just....
If you're making a reboot/continuation/spin-off of a show.
It shouldn't alienate the old fanbase on the raw level Go! has. If it does you shouldn't be using the IP for it.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Now that I think on it, I'm pretty sure this is because Raven's VA is also the main character of the My Little Pony cartoon.
It's still...really stupid though :/
Man I don't even care on that with Raven.
Is it dumb? A bit.
But for the amount of "out of character" it is, it's something being added to the character.
Instead of a REMOVAL as is often the case with the cast in this iteration.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Like..
Here's the characters, in their Go! personalities.

Robin: Neurotically obsessive leader.
Beast Boy: Lazy dumb jokester to the point of annoyance in frequent cases.
Cyborg: The same as Beast Boy. Except when the plot requires bringing up that he's part robot again.
Star Fire: Take a Valley Girl stereotype, and replace "Like" with "The."
Raven: Deadpan snark who's also a mlp-expy fan.
Hence why Raven will ALWAYS be best Titan. That's something Go got right from the original
Oops... Double post... PLS delete...
lol it wasn't

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The last cartoon I've ever cared about was Korra and my history with that is rocky. (Should give the latest season a try)

Everything else was cancelled

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
About TTG...

They've had three episodes so far that were entirely dedicated towards criticism...

That shouldn't be a good sign...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh boy, TTG.

I'm fine with spinoffs, but please don't make fun of the previous show's fan expectations.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just finished up another art request.

I was requested to make a Valentine's themed drawing of Naruto and Sakura, as a gift for this person's Valentine (who they are seeing tomorrow). Dunno if the person wants to remain anonymous or not so I won't mention them just to be safe.

I didn't have the time to add a proper background (I would probably fuss over getting it right too much and not finish in time), and I know it's rough around the edges in some areas (most notably Sakura's arms/hands, UGH). But for my first, very typical "anime-style" drawing, especially under such a crunch time (he only asked me about it on Friday night and I just started work recently, and I get up super early for that), I am fairly satisfied with it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I could only imagine the backlash that would happen if we were ever to get a show in the same vein as this one but with Last Airbender characters...

I can just see the hate...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't know.
Like... I get the hate associated with it (and in some cases it's justified), but to be honest it's not like I can't see why it exists. This type of show sells; Johnny Test and Spongebob have taught me that.

It's not gonna matter what I say, since I doubt it'll leave anytime soon. But that doesn't mean Teen Titans (both the original show and the comics) are tainted with its arrival. Does it suck that this is what it's come to? Sure. But I just see it as mostly there. Something to fill a timeframe and while making a little dough on the side.

There's been hundreds of shows like it, and I'm sure there will be more.

I call shenanigans. There is only one controller that trumps over all:
Only one for my heart...

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Sylveon's already an assist, so it's probably out of the running.

I could see Vaporeon still get in though, with Jolteon being another option.

That's very interesting and it would make sense since along with this, VGC is using ORAS as their main game, pushing whatever comes next past at least June/July. So I could see us getting the game in September/October.

With that said, it would be funny if that's the case since it'd put the game's release a year exactly after the forms initial reveal in Corocoro.
Oh I see, I forgot he was an assist.
Interesting they still didn't reveal it's official typing...likely Steel, but what's it's secondary typing if any?
Find out next time on Pokemon Z!
As I said and will continue to say,
MAchine or man made type, its happening!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I was expecting something else.

And I'm appalled I didn't see it.
(I'm not actually appalled though)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think the reason why people hate it is because we never got to finish the old ahow, it was cancelled after a MASSIVE cliffhanger.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
The PPG reboot pisses me off for one reason and one reason only.

Tara Strong was refused when wanting to come back as Bubbles.

That poor girl IDENTIFIES as Bubbles. Like I'm serious, Bubbles means more to her than any other character she's voiced in her life time because she was so much like Tara when she was young. This is nothing against the new voice cast, far from it, I don't think they're terrible. But Tara nearly cried when they just wouldn't let her do Bubbles again. She would have done it for dirt cheap even. It's irritating to me that a studio would do that.

It just makes me worry about the show when someone who loves and cherishes the character like herself is denied any involvement.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

That poor girl IDENTIFIES as Bubbles. Like I'm serious, Bubbles means more to her than any other character she's voiced in her life time because she was so much like Tara when she was young. This is nothing against the new voice cast, far from it, I don't think they're terrible. But Tara nearly cried when they just wouldn't let her do Bubbles again. She would have done it for dirt cheap even. It's irritating to me that a studio would do that.

It just makes me worry about the show when someone who loves and cherishes the character like herself is denied any involvement.
What's even more aggrivating was that Tom Kenny was called in to reprise his role as Mayor...

Honestly I'm not a big fan of their decision to reject Tara Strong as Bubbles.

Khoru

Smash Champion
The last cartoon I've ever cared about was Korra and my history with that is rocky. (Should give the latest season a try)

Everything else was cancelled
season 1 was okay (mostly bc they didn't know if it would be continued), season 2 was mostly bad, seasons 3 and 4 were up there with the best of atla

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

They said no to one of if not THE biggest people in voice acting? If it was because of a paycheck and budgeting problem, it's okay, but this isn't. What the actual ****? Tara Strong is one of the biggest names in PPG and has been one of the most well-known VA people period. I didn't even like PPG but that's ****ing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom