• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yo-kai Watch isn't going to be a fad for a long time, trust me. There's still YW3, the Just Dance YW for Wii U, and the medieval 3DS coming up to give Sakurai confidence in picking him as a choice.
Sorry, but 'Just Dance' is the very definition of fad material.

These kinds of franchises (Digimon, Beyblade, Metabots, etc.) all go through the same pattern. Yo-Kai's immediate fame is not unusual.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Two new, yet unknown, amiibo found on Target's system.

amiibo news in the Direct is now highly likely!
Honstly Amiibo news of some kind was a 99% guarantee. We've not had a direct since JUNE. It's now November. We'll likely hear about a whole bunch of Amiibo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Think we'll hear about the new loyalty program?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if they'll do a Mario Wave two for Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Bowser JR, Wario and maybe others.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really hope GameXplain was right and we will get a Hyrule Warriors amiibo series.

It's also possible they do what they wanted to do with Majora's Mask (with Skull Kid) and release a Wolf Link amiibo alongside Twilight Princess HD.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
He said 'gullible' look for that
Uh, I ctrl-f'd gullible in that thread and got only two results, neither of which are OP.

So far I don't think anything's definitively busted the Kirby leak tbh. And with gameplay gif evidence I'd say if it's a fake it's the best goddamn fake I've seen.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I really hope GameXplain was right and we will get a Hyrule Warriors amiibo series.

It's also possible they do what they wanted to do with Majora's Mask (with Skull Kid) and release a Wolf Link amiibo alongside Twilight Princess HD.
So.... Tingle Amiibo? I can't wait. :b:

Inb4 it's Japan only. (I can always import, I guess)

:231:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sorry, but 'Just Dance' is the very definition of fad material.

These kinds of franchises (Digimon, Beyblade, Metabots, etc.) all go through the same pattern. Yo-Kai's immediate fame is not unusual.
When it's a Just Dance game that features songs danced and sung by millions in Japan that'll help strengthen the love YW further for consumers, I don't think YW will be a fad anytime soon, there are already so many things planned for the franchise like the Yorozumart that opened in Japan and the Universal attraction. I don't think a franchise like Beyblade, Digimon, or Medabots have gone this far into marketing unless it gained high steam of popularity (Which YW is). And it's this marketing and upcoming games that assures YW will have a definite future, making Jibanyan one of the safer choices Sakurai can use to make Smash DLC sell while the iron is hot.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Not sure how a 3D Kirby game would work at all. Apparently, neither is HAL Labs, though, if 2000-2010 was any indication.

Not sure when I'd expect to hear about the next main-series Kirby game; it has been over a year and a half since Triple Deluxe, and that one came up out of nowhere.

That 4chan one looks ultra fake, though; literally looks like one of those failed Kirby projects during that time.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is going to be the first time I don't watch an American direct live since 2012.
Well, just avoid the internet and bookmark the Nintendo Direct stream so it kinda feels live. :)

Also:
http://strawpoll.me/5972402

Still have this Strawpoll on predictions for the Nintendo Direct.
Unsurprisingly, amiibo announcements have 24 votes, and Twilight Princess HD is right behind it.
Star Fox Zero and Paper Jam have the most votes of confirmed games.

Of course, now that Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei mentions it I'm definitely expecting something about the new loyalty program.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
OP IS DELIVERING
I REPEET
OP IS ACTUALLY DELIVERING
WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY

Last edited:

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
OP IS DELIVERING
I REPEET
WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY
This thread has been going since late last night. OP claims that the images are from a very early prototype, and that the reason the blocks are 2D is because they are just part of the skybox. That's how old the prototype is.

Furthermore, the game will allow the player to switch between two views: perspective and isometric (which is what the first GIF is supposed to showcase). OP says that these are being captured from a debug emulator, and that it is from a very old version. He says that, if the game is fully revealed tomorrow, it will be from a much, MUCH more recent build.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

OP IS DELIVERING
I REPEET
WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY
That looks like something made in 2002.. with Melee-esque graphics. I don't buy it.

Could just be a prototype. Don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean if it's real then awesome.

But it's not like it's impossible to make a few animations and pass them off as prototype footage.

Chrono.

This thread has been going since late last night. OP claims that the images are from a very early prototype, and that the reason the blocks are 2D is because they are just part of the skybox. That's how old the prototype is.

Furthermore, the game will allow the player to switch between two views: perspective and isometric (which is what the first GIF is supposed to showcase). OP says that these are being captured from a debug emulator, and that it is from a very old version. He says that, if the game is fully revealed tomorrow, it will be from a much, MUCH more recent build.
Well this certainly puts things in perspective a lot more...

We should be finding out in 24 hours anyhow, and I'm stoked.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
This does make me wonder. They'd have to limit Kirby's jumps, right? Can't imagine they'd just let you float all over the stages. Or at least set up some invisible walls.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
OP IS DELIVERING
I REPEET
WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY

Definitely think it's fake now. Yeah, I saw the claims that it's a early prototype but there is something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Remember, there are some talented people in this world and I daresay this would be easier since you can pass it off as a prototype.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

I'm going to doubt the claim.

Did we get confirmation if it's a remake or something? Aren't all the studios that have done Kirby in Japan? Why would they use a Western board to post alpha screens? Why post alpha screens if they still have access to it?

It still seems like a fan project to me.

D

Deleted member

This does make me wonder. They'd have to limit Kirby's jumps, right? Can't imagine they'd just let you float all over the stages. Or at least set up some invisible walls.
That has been a "problem" in almost all Kirby games

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Ken: Ryu I heard you found a girl where's she from
Ryu: HOBOKEN

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting!
Well, what I mean specifically is, if Skullgirls and/or Indivisible was made to look like it does but with models instead of sprites, would it cost less to produce or be less resource-intensive?
It would most likely cost more if they want to keep the same level of visual quality, but they'd probably be able to put more on screen. It really depends on how detailed the models, effects, and textures are as well as how the cpu/gpu are used. There's a lot of factor to consider when it comes to resource usage and efficiency.

It would be cheaper to make, yeah, but crazy and lively animations are harder to do in 3D than 2D (Note that 2D lets you what ever the hell you want with the character, 3D doesn't have that much freedom.)

Consider that detachable body cat girl (aka Ms Fortune). In 2D, animating her is no harder than any other character, but would be far harder in 3D.

Overall, 3D is often used for cost-cutting where 2D animation would be too expensive (see: Kirby anime), so if you want the game to really pop out, 2D is a nearly always a better idea. Of course, lively animation is possible in 3D (like our very own Smash Bros), but you can see how expensive that can get.

:231:
Well detachable body parts isnt that bad (not much different from the parent/child relationship of interchangeable weapons), but transformations is super hard. Deformations only get you so far. The trick (which I don't really know how to do efficiently) is model swapping which essentially means making multiple models for transformation animations and switching between them. The newest Guilty Gear uses this technique. The design of the game changes whether or not this technique is viable though. If you just need to cycle through the models for an animation every now and then it's probably not so bad, but if each model needs it's own kinematics or inverse kinematics or physics BS then it's not as viable.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I actually have no clue about what the Direct will contain, but it's more exciting this way. If we don't get Smash content then we hopefully get it early next year at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom