• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Mysterious alien asks for help in rebuilding his ship.
Mysterious villain kidnaps King Dedede and causes beanstalks to grow on Dream Land.
Evil entity clouds Dream Land in darkness and corrupts its inhabitants.
Mysterious witch turns Kirby into a ball and traps him in the world of paintings.
Crystal shards rain from the sky and a fairy asks for help in collecting them all.
etc.

Pretty sure "Dedede steals the Warp Star" is rather basic compared to all that and goes back to "Dedede steals the Star Rod and splits it into 7 pieces (for a good reason)."
You forgot the masterpiece story that is Squeak Squad:

Kirby's cake gets stolen by bad guys.

I mean, yeah, "Dedede steals the Warp Star" is pretty bare-bones, but I think it's at least better than "Kirby's cake gets stolen."

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys, OP confirmed it was fake in the thread.

Reading helps. :p

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Someone is already playing through the story in Project X Zone 2.
You get Chrom & Lucina surprisingly early in the game, like 3 prologues in early.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Badge Arcade, I can't even be mad because the rabbit guy is hilarious. He just gave me this quiz...

"What's the name of the majestic land that Link lives in?"

> Hyschool
> Hyrule
> Hoboken

Link confirmed for New Jersey?

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Someone is already playing through the story in Project X Zone 2.
You get Chrom & Lucina surprisingly early in the game, like 3 prologues in early.
I know, right? Which reminds me. A change of avatar for me would be appropriate. How many chapters it will have is all I wonder. I am still sold on the game since day one. I also finished Namco X Capcom. I loved the story on that one. But as for Project X Zone 2, there is no telling on what other surprises it would have.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There was a problem fetching the tweet

You know, with all this chibi robo posting, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him in smash tomorrow.
#TinyThursday!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I had forgotten that Project X Zone 2's Japanese release date was tomorrow.

I wonder if some info on the game will be shown on the Nintendo Direct... Probably not, but I wouldn't mind a trailer.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Speaking of the X-over games, I'm listening to the opening of Proejct X Zone and I really like the Japanese version.

English is really enjoyable in its own right as well. Like it as much as the former.

Project X Zone 2's intro is really damn good as well.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Does it involve using the weird NES manual Ridley, or drastically changing his design, or doing some weird Smash-original gimmick?
Nope, not either of these things.
My idea is that Ridley would be based on both his Zero Mission and Other M design, just like ZSS.

Well, my idea is that, obviously, for balance, Ridley is really powerful in the air but sluggish on the ground. He doesn't have a traditional second jump; instead, after his first jump he can fly freely on a short timer similar to ROB's Robo Burner.
Certain aerial attacks delay the timer so he has more time to attack / combo.

With this system, Ridley can still "fly around freely" but he's not so far removed from the other fighters that's like you're not playing a regular character.
I imagine Ridley could maybe do aerial throws as well and probably wouldn't have an Up B recovery since his jump doubles as one (like Yoshi and Jigglypuff).

It is a gimmick, sure, but it's one that makes him more faithful rather than some random new thing to compensate for him being seemingly unviable.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
>Hyschool
>Hyrule
>Hoboken

I'm sorry, Mr. Bunny
But at first I thought you said "Hadouken"
I got Ryu on the brain :4ryu:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
>Hyschool
>Hyrule
>Hoboken

I'm sorry, Mr. Bunny
But at first I thought you said "Hadouken"
I got Ryu on the brain :4ryu:
Ken: Ryu I heard you found a girl where's she from
Ryu: HOBOKEN
Depends on quality, the number of animations, and the animation pipeline.

Really high quality models + rigging can be really expensive million+, but 3D models, once set up, are easily manipulated to make make new animations. They're extremely reusable. Also

2D is generally cheaper, but it depends on frames of animation, quality, size, and style (single image vs multiple animating together). But whenever you want a new animation, that typically means someone needs to draw new sprites, so the cost of making new animations is relatively higher then 3D.

A major thing to also consider is memory cost. A 3D model has a relatively large memory footprint, but animations barely have any memory costs to them. For 2D, a new animation means new fully drawn sprites sprites which need to remain in memory at all times or be loaded dynamically. Every new 2D animation is a relatively large increase in memory usage, especially when it comes to high res art. Skullgirls barely runs on PS3. Mike Z, the programmer and gameplay designer of SG and Indivisible, fought for every scrap of memory he could find and one of the characters (Big Band) actually had to be shrunk just to save memory and part of his move set needed special code to dynamically load and unload because he wouldnt fit. To put this into perspective, The Last of Us pushes the PS3's memory usage just as much.
Thanks for your reply. That's interesting!
Well, what I mean specifically is, if Skullgirls and/or Indivisible was made to look like it does but with models instead of sprites, would it cost less to produce or be less resource-intensive?

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
What gaben was thinking when spend the last years on steam machine instead of Left 4 dead 3/Half life 3.
FOR **** SAKE.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
In the end, I think that Jibanyan would have to pass the 'Inkling' test. What I mean by this is if Inklings get in, they will set the precedent that very recent characters can get in provided their popularity survives the 'fad phase' and shows little doubt of losing fan favor over a long period of time. Right now, Yo-Kai's a fad. If it's still just as popular in six months and a character as recent as Inklings make it in, then Jibanyan has a shot. Inklings also have to make it in for this line of reasoning to hold up.

Unfortunately, by that virtue Jibanyan faces another problem - the time it would take for this character to establish its staying power pushes it close to when I estimate to be the end of Sm4sh DLC, so it if takes longer to accomplish that goal he might miss the boat. If it happens, Jibanyan would likely be the last character we get.
Yo-kai Watch isn't going to be a fad for a long time, trust me. There's still YW3, the Just Dance YW for Wii U, and the medieval 3DS coming up to give Sakurai confidence in picking him as a choice.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
oh my ****ing god
The Badge Center is way too dangerous of an app for me to use.
I'll wait for the free plays.
I got 2 Free Plays today
Good lord the Zelda Map is easy
I got 5 Stones and a Blue Octorok
Still no Yoshi Activity Feed tho

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Thanks for your reply. That's interesting!
Well, what I mean specifically is, if Skullgirls and/or Indivisible was made to look like it does but with models instead of sprites, would it cost less to produce or be less resource-intensive?
It would be cheaper to make, yeah, but crazy and lively animations are harder to do in 3D than 2D (Note that 2D lets you what ever the hell you want with the character, 3D doesn't have that much freedom.)

Consider that detachable body cat girl (aka Ms Fortune). In 2D, animating her is no harder than any other character, but would be far harder in 3D.

Overall, 3D is often used for cost-cutting where 2D animation would be too expensive (see: Kirby anime), so if you want the game to really pop out, 2D is a nearly always a better idea. Of course, lively animation is possible in 3D (like our very own Smash Bros), but you can see how expensive that can get.

:231:

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Apparently he didn't retweet the Direct with Shulk until like a few hours before it happened, so there's that.
I think some people that noticed he retweets stuff about Smash, noticed it wasn't like, 1 whole day before one or something.

Would make sense if "Sakarai = Smash Reveal" He'd wait at the last second so it wouldn't spoil anything too soon, my guess.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What gaben was thinking when spend the last years on steam machine instead of Left 4 dead 3/Half life 3.
FOR **** SAKE.
Valve's development process is surprisingly decentralized. There's no real executive orders in the way of "Okay now you guys work on this." The workers just choose to work on whatever.
Source: foxtrot man I listened to these podcasts and read these articles a long time ago about this.

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen WHERE YOU GET THAT ANNA AVATAR THO? IT CUTE AF

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Valve's development process is surprisingly decentralized. There's no real executive orders in the way of "Okay now you guys work on this." The workers just choose to work on whatever.
Source: foxtrot man I listened to these podcasts and read these articles a long time ago about this.

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen WHERE YOU GET THAT ANNA AVATAR THO? IT CUTE AF
@vaanrose made it for me, I won a bet about Shovel Knight

Also, can someone link me the 3D Kirby game being fake?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@vaanrose made it for me, I won a bet about Shovel Knight

Also, can someone link me the 3D Kirby game being fake?
We (or atleast I) think it's fake.

I'm even more unconvinced about that Kirby leak.

Those blocks are in 2D... and the game looks very N64-ish... and it's just so empty.

This looks like an alpha build or just someone's fan project.

I'm calling fake for now. Even if he has something actual on his hands, we're not hearing about the game until late 2016 or so.

Two new, yet unknown, amiibo found on Target's system.

amiibo news in the Direct is now highly likely!
Have Roy/Lucas/ Mewtwo already shown up in the system or could 2 of them be these?

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
For anyone who doesn't know, in Badge Arcade you can earn extra plays once a day by playing practice. 3 for getting the bonus badge (or whatever it's called) and 2 for getting 20 practice badges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom