• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As much as I can appreciate the effort in what he's doing, the fact he's making Metal Face and Kraid, two characters that SHOULDN'T EVER be altered into being playable fighters, is going to seriously discredit him when it comes to his arguments on Ridley.
An "anyone can be altered to work as a fighter" mindset isn't exactly a good one....
Yeah, well, at least Kraid does have a version that's around Samu's size...even if it's not actually Kraid.
Metal Face is literally "too big" to be feasible.

He doesn't have an awkward form like Ridley, his problem is that is he is ACTUALLY too big.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, well, at least Kraid does have a version that's around Samu's size...even if it's not actually Kraid.

He doesn't have an awkward form like Ridley, his problem is that is he is ACTUALLY too big.
Exactly.
The only way "Metal Face" can really be playable is if
Mumkhar is playable.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
It's a bit difficult to predict which new characters may be announced (if any at all). The possibilities could really be any arbitrary number of the list of characters that have been demanded since Melee (one to three characters from a list of 20+).

I don't think anyone would be truly surprised unless announced like 5-10 characters (or maybe an expansion DLC pack). Even if they announced no new additions to the game, I don't think anyone would be incredibly shocked.

I'll just go ahead and predict more of the same. :113:

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Exactly.
Mumkhar is playable.
Don't be silly! They could just easily scale Metal Face down!
See, I made this diagram of him compared to Bowser, as we know, Bowser is usually HUGE but scaled down in Smash, and if we were to take Metal Face and-
Wait, where's everyone going? :drflip:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we only get a stage or two what stage would you want it to be? I'd want the reverse of the pirate ship situation with the 3DS game getting the Great Bay and WiiU getting an upgraded 3DS stage.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly I think Ridley is perfectly feasible as a fighter with a little creativity.
And no, I'm not saying "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN BECAUSE SAKURAI". I have an idea of what to do to make Ridley work.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Not only that, but...

Face Mechon are piloted by normal-sized people.

They're not unlike giant robots/mecha. Shrinking the Face unit would literally mean shrinking the person inside.

Exactly.
Mumkhar is playable.
Basically this.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Honestly I think Ridley is perfectly feasible as a fighter with a little creativity.
And no, I'm not saying "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN BECAUSE SAKURAI". I have an idea of what to do to make Ridley work.
Does it involve using the weird NES manual Ridley, or drastically changing his design, or doing some weird Smash-original gimmick?

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Not only that, but...

Face Mechon are piloted by normal-sized people.

They're not unlike giant robots/mecha. Shrinking the Face unit would literally mean shrinking the person inside.

Basically this.
B-BUT OLIMAR AND ALPH SAN ARE ONLY SEVERAL INCHES TALL! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO SMALL!!!!1!!

I apologize, I'm having way too much fun with this.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If we could go without the random ridley insults that would be just dandy
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that's all me.

I know the turf I'm stepping on, I'm not discrediting Ridley himself, or his chances in Smash, just moreso the arguments people have made for him. I don't doubt they couldn't make him work, just... you know. Sorry.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Source Cast #3 is up, we posted it earlier but it was lost amidst all the Nintendo Direct Hype.

Please let us know what you think! We are also always in need of more questions for our Q&A section, so let us know if you have any.

D

Deleted member

As much as I can appreciate the effort in what he's doing, the fact he's making Metal Face and Kraid, two characters that SHOULDN'T EVER be altered into being playable fighters, is going to seriously discredit him when it comes to his arguments on Ridley.
An "anyone can be altered to work as a fighter" mindset isn't exactly a good one....
Mini Kraid is a thing tho
Metal Face can't work for obvious reasons already mentioned
Unless they did a Mini Metal Face...

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
Would a game that simulates cel-shaded animation with actual models or a game with entirely drawn sprites cost more to develop?
Depends on quality, the number of animations, and the animation pipeline.

Really high quality models + rigging can be really expensive million+, but 3D models, once set up, are easily manipulated to make make new animations. They're extremely reusable. Also

2D is generally cheaper, but it depends on frames of animation, quality, size, and style (single image vs multiple animating together). But whenever you want a new animation, that typically means someone needs to draw new sprites, so the cost of making new animations is relatively higher then 3D.

A major thing to also consider is memory cost. A 3D model has a relatively large memory footprint, but animations barely have any memory costs to them. For 2D, a new animation means new fully drawn sprites sprites which need to remain in memory at all times or be loaded dynamically. Every new 2D animation is a relatively large increase in memory usage, especially when it comes to high res art. Skullgirls barely runs on PS3. Mike Z, the programmer and gameplay designer of SG and Indivisible, fought for every scrap of memory he could find and one of the characters (Big Band) actually had to be shrunk just to save memory and part of his move set needed special code to dynamically load and unload because he wouldnt fit. To put this into perspective, The Last of Us pushes the PS3's memory usage just as much.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, I'm going to wait on calling it legit.
With that said, regardless a 3D Kirby would be neat. Though Lord knows how that'd work.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
If we're getting a new Kirby game, hopefully helpers will come back. Playing as baddies is the best.

Even better! Bring back helpers and animal friend in the same game! :113:

D

Deleted member

The story leaves a lot to be desired, though.
Dedede steals the Warp Star.

.....why? And why something so basic for a beginning of a plot?

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The story leaves a lot to be desired, though.
Dedede steals the Warp Star.

.....why? And why something so basic for a beginning of a plot?
To be fair, that's probably one of the more complex Kirby plots. It doesn't involve food after all.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I think it's more than likely we'll get Smash news in tomorrow's Direct, but if we don't I actually won't be that surprised. That just tells me that they're probably saving all of the news for another Smash Direct sometime in the near future.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
B-BUT OLIMAR AND ALPH SAN ARE ONLY SEVERAL INCHES TALL! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO SMALL!!!!1!!

I apologize, I'm having way too much fun with this.
It is true that they are actually very small... and the same applies to Smash.

If you play on the Pikmin stages, Olimar and Alph will be correctly sized.

Sizes are done relative to their own game worlds.

And yes, I'm aware of the R.O.B. head you can find in Pikmin 2... To which I bring this cutscene from Brawl's Subspace Emissary:

That is one big R.O.B. and certainly similar in size to the R.O.B. head you can find in Pikmin 2.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm even more unconvinced about that Kirby leak.

Those blocks are in 2D... and the game looks very N64-ish... and it's just so empty.

This looks like an alpha build or just someone's fan project.

I'm calling fake for now. Even if he has something actual on his hands, we're not hearing about the game until late 2016 or so.

:231:

D

Deleted member

To be fair, that's probably one of the more complex Kirby plots. It doesn't involve food after all.
Mysterious alien asks for help in rebuilding his ship.
Mysterious villain kidnaps King Dedede and causes beanstalks to grow on Dream Land.
Evil entity clouds Dream Land in darkness and corrupts its inhabitants.
Mysterious witch turns Kirby into a ball and traps him in the world of paintings.
Crystal shards rain from the sky and a fairy asks for help in collecting them all.
etc.

Pretty sure "Dedede steals the Warp Star" is rather basic compared to all that and goes back to "Dedede steals the Star Rod and splits it into 7 pieces (for a good reason)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom