• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I found this super cute fan-art.

The DLC bike got me.

Also look at Sonic all like "THIS IS TOO SLOW I MUST GET OUT SO I CAN GO FAST".
I've seen this presented a handfull of times already.
However, seeing it this time did help me notice how dissatisfied with the slow Sonic is.
And how somehow Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mii manage to be more creepy than the Villager.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm playing through Radiant Dawn. :4myfriends:

After reading some Zelda manga, I really don't mind the idea of a talking Link.

I mean, provided the voice acting isn't as horrible as the CD-i cutscenes, but then again, the CD-i games aren't really an example of quality.

Assuming they can bring some experienced voice actors and provide with good voice direction, it's something that could work.

As a matter of fact, the Japan-only Tetra's Trackers mini-game in Four Swords Adventures had full voice acting for Tetra and the pirates (in Japanese, obviously).
I'm not so sure about a talking Link. We're so used to his grunts and I don't think his current voice is particularly suitable for sentences (Never mind the fact that the VA is Japanese.)

:231:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not so sure about a talking Link. We're so used to his grunts and I don't think his current voice is particularly suitable for sentences (Never mind the fact that the VA is Japanese.)

Would Japanese voice acting be a bad thing? So what if his VA is Japanese? All voices in the Zelda series are done by Japanese VAs, actually. Do the characters sound bad? I never heard any complaints so far...

Some of Link's voice actors have speaking roles in anime. OoT Link's voice actor is Viral in TTGL and Sanageyama in Kill la Kill and they do sound a lot like Link when grunting, but sound just fine when talking.

Not that I particularly care about having full voice acting in a Zelda game, but I'm simply not opposed to the idea.

Sure, it didn't go well with the CD-i games and those are the reason why many Zelda fans are so repulsed by the idea of voice acting in the series, but it's not like the CD-i games aren't a pile of garbage anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've seen this presented a handfull of times already.
However, seeing it this time did help me notice how dissatisfied with the slow Sonic is.
And how somehow Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mii manage to be more creepy than the Villager.
Other observations I can make:

-Captain Falcon has bad BO, this saddens Luigi.
-Mario may have dumped Peach for Rosalina, finally realising that going for god is better than the princess that's always kidnapped. Peach moves on just fine and sets her sights on a more bara boyfriend.
-Rosalina is concerned for Bowser Jr. and Lucas who are playing a little recklessly.
-Lucario may have unrequited feelings for Sonic, he looks flustered. Either that or Sonic's spikes are making him nervous.
-Palutena enjoys the fragrance Ganondorf uses on his hair.
-Meta Knight wants to fly with Mewtwo.
-Charizard is grumpy to be in the back by himself.
-Samus is under the effects of a Mega Mushroom, seriously what's up with her proportions?
-Pit and Pittoo are still gay.

D

Deleted member

If Cloud returns, I kinda don't want him to have English VA... I've gotten used to his Japanese voice.

Now, if only Smash had the option to change voices for each character... I'd switch some characters to their Japanese voices for the fact they're just better than their English ones (like Fox, Falco or Ike).
I still want Marth and Roy to get English voices
Also, found the weeb :^)
I'm playing through Radiant Dawn. :4myfriends:
This reminds me
Are RD or PoR avaible on the Wii U E-Shop?

Khoru

Smash Champion
i haven't even looked at this thread since wednesday
the witness is 2gud
hums anitra's dance

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I still want Marth and Roy to get English voices
Also, found the weeb :^)

You keep using that "weeb" word...

I must say that Lucina, Pit, Dark Pit and Bayonetta's voices are actually better than the Japanese ones, so I wouldn't switch every voice to Japanese.

And I still can't imagine Marth and Roy with English voices, though Codename STEAM did have an English voice for Marth... Wasn't bad, but I'm just too used to the Japanese voices for those two characters since it's been over 10 years since I've gotten into the Smash series.

It's like if they replaced Mario's voice after all these years, you know. In the same way I can't imagine anyone else besides Charles Martinet doing Mario's voice, I can't imagine hearing other actors besides Hikaru Midorikawa and Jun Fukuyama as Marth and Roy, respectively.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I must say that Lucina, Pit, Dark Pit and Bayonetta's voices are actually better than the Japanese ones, so I wouldn't switch every voice to Japanese.

And I still can't imagine Marth and Roy with English voices, though Codename STEAM did have an English voice for Marth... Wasn't bad, but I'm just too used to the Japanese voices for those two characters since it's been over 10 years since I've gotten into the Smash series.

It's like if they replaced Mario's voice after all these years, you know. In the same way I can't imagine anyone else besides Charles Martinet doing Mario's voice, I can't imagine hearing other actors besides Hikaru Midorikawa and Jun Fukuyama as Marth and Roy, respectively.
Marth's voice is Yuri Lowenthal in Codename STEAM. He's a fitting choice but I don't think that game gives him enough to work with given the nature of Marth's appearance in it.

Regarding Mario, I completely disagree. Mario is so easy to impersonate. I want Charles to stay for as long as he can, but the man is getting old. We'll see a change within the next 10-20 years at least.

People even say I do perfect impersonations of many Mario characters, even Yoshi.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Would Japanese voice acting be a bad thing? So what if his VA is Japanese? All voices in the Zelda series are done by Japanese VAs, actually. Do the characters sound bad? I never heard any complaints so far...

Some of Link's voice actors have speaking roles in anime. OoT Link's voice actor is Viral in TTGL and Sanageyama in Kill la Kill and they do sound a lot like Link when grunting, but sound just fine when talking.

Not that I particularly care about having full voice acting in a Zelda game, but I'm simply not opposed to the idea.

Sure, it didn't go well with the CD-i games and those are the reason why many Zelda fans are so repulsed by the idea of voice acting in the series, but it's not like the CD-i games aren't a pile of garbage anyway.
I meant Link speaking in English. :p Should have made that clear.
I meant that after hearing the grunts of his Japanese VA for years now, a sudden change of voice would feel really odd.

(Though I do think he should speak English in the Western versions as his games have never been Japan-exclusive unlike Marth.)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Someone translate this. All I know that there's a stream coming up soon

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

They're demonstrating Corrin and Bayonetta at that Nico Nico tournament, I believe.

That's what Google Translate implies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

It's a stream for a Japanese Smash Wii U Tournament, from what I can gather.

There's a front page news article on it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Marth's voice is Yuri Lowenthal in Codename STEAM. He's a fitting choice but I don't think that game gives him enough to work with given the nature of Marth's appearance in it.

Regarding Mario, I completely disagree. Mario is so easy to impersonate. I want Charles to stay for as long as he can, but the man is getting old. We'll see a change within the next 10-20 years at least.
I didn't say that Marth's voice in STEAM was bad. IMO it does make more sense to have English voice acting in that game, given it's themed after America.

As for Mario, I agree that they'll have to replace Charles one day, but you can't deny that his Mario voice is damn iconic. Sure, other people can take over and there are people who can make good impressions.

My comment is that I'm so used to hear the original voice actors as these characters, it's hard to imagine someone else. Like, the actor becomes the character in a way.

@PushDustIn

I could make up some stuff... It does mention a stream on Nico Nico in February and they'll demonstrate Bayonetta and Corrin (Kamui).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

IKB4 people start saying, "Wolf confirmed"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I didn't say that Marth's voice in STEAM was bad. IMO it does make more sense to have English voice acting in that game, given it's themed after America.

As for Mario, I agree that they'll have to replace Charles one day, but you can't deny that his Mario voice is damn iconic. Sure, other people can take over and there are people who can make good impressions.

My comment is that I'm so used to hear the original voice actors as these characters, it's hard to imagine someone else. Like, the actor becomes the character in a way.

@PushDustIn

I could make up some stuff... It does mention a stream on Nico Nico in February and they'll demonstrate Bayonetta and Corrin (Kamui).
I wasn't saying you were saying he was bad. :p

Yuri Lowenthal is honestly one of the first actors to jump to mind for a Marth voice even before CN:S. He also voices Cecil Harvey in the DS remake of Final Fantasy IV, and in the Dissidia games, so he's familiar with voicing that character archetype that Marth has, since they are characters that are both similar in a lot of ways. It's just that CN:S doesn't give him any room to develop the role much since it's all fairly generic one-liners ("I am ready!", "I am discovered!", etc). It's also higher pitched than the kind of voice he normally does for some reason, which I thought was odd. Probably to make Marth sound younger, but I don't really think it was necessary.

If they make a Fire Emblem anime series, I think he would be a good choice for Marth in the English dub. Or if Marth ever sees a voice acted role in another FE game.

And of course Charles' Mario voice is iconic, and he is the guy who created it. But I just think he is an easy role to replace when the time comes, the characters he voices are so easy to replicate to a tee that you wouldn't even notice a difference if they get someone with some decent talent to just impersonate his lines.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I wasn't saying you were saying he was bad. :p

Yuri Lowenthal is honestly one of the first actors to jump to mind for a Marth voice even before CN:S. He also voices Cecil Harvey in the DS remake of Final Fantasy IV, and in the Dissidia games, so he's familiar with voicing that character archetype that Marth has, since they are characters that are both similar in a lot of ways. It's just that CN:S doesn't give him any room to develop the role much since it's all fairly generic one-liners ("I am ready!", "I am discovered!", etc). It's also higher pitched than the kind of voice he normally does for some reason, which I thought was odd. Probably to make Marth sound younger, but I don't really think it was necessary.

If they make a Fire Emblem anime series, I think he would be a good choice for Marth in the English dub. Or if Marth ever sees a voice acted role in another FE game.

And of course Charles' Mario voice is iconic, and he is the guy who created it. But I just think he is an easy role to replace when the time comes, the characters he voices are so easy to replicate to a tee that you wouldn't even notice a difference if they get someone with some decent talent to just impersonate his lines.
Well actually before even Yuri voiced Marth there was another English voice for him, Spike Spencer, who voiced him in the English dub of the Fire Emblem OVA.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I get overly triggered when someone draws non-Boom Sonic's arms blue. Not to the point of actual rage or even close, but it does tick me off more than it should.

:094:
You must hate the various animated shows, then. :V

Burruni

Smash Hero

To be fair.
Marth had an English voice before Melee.
Dating as back as 1997.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Hello everybody I am back from the grave *looks around...* oh nobody missed me QwQ y laptop had to be ed and I went though so bad times without my laptop XD but umm hey

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My general opinion on Sonic shows:

-SatAM: I don't think it's very good and I stopped watching about 4 or 5 episodes in. I can see why it was popular though.
-AoStH: It's just pure zany fun, like Looney Tunes or something. I think it's good for what it is.
-Japanese Sonic X: It has it's problems but it has a lot I really like, and it was my favourite portrayal of Sonic before Secret Rings/Unleashed/Black Knight came along. Some episodes legitimately got me in the feels.
-English Sonic X: It's bad but there are some funny bits. I think the Cruise Blues episode is still funny even in this version.
-Sonic Boom: Has a few niggles but it's a great show, and most seem to agree that it's a quality product so it's the best received too.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
My general opinion on Sonic shows:

-SatAM: I don't think it's very good and I stopped watching about 4 or 5 episodes in. I can see why it was popular though.
-AoStH: It's just pure zany fun, like Looney Tunes or something. I think it's good for what it is.
-Japanese Sonic X: It has it's problems but it has a lot I really like, and it was my favourite portrayal of Sonic before Secret Rings/Unleashed/Black Knight came along. Some episodes legitimately got me in the feels.
-English Sonic X: It's bad but there are some funny bits. I think the Cruise Blues episode is still funny even in this version.
-Sonic Boom: Has a few niggles but it's a great show, and most seem to agree that it's a quality product so it's the best received too.
Not including the best sonic cartoon Sonic Underground!!They made a vow their mother will be found!Sonic Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom