• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Aw come on, I've seen plenty of things and it can't be that bad.

*comes out of the wiki after witnessing the Drew Pickles page*

I have zeroes words for the things I saw there. And I can see why people love YouTube Poop more than MLG. Because that ****'s more bat**** insane with the material it does. I won't look at these characters the same way again, especially Drew and Scratch.
You can say that Chewiki tries so hard to ruin your childhood and actually succeeds. And the best part is some of the information provided are actual transcripts from certain old poops. I had a feeling the Drew Pickles page would disturb you the most since that was my exact reaction seeing it 8 years ago.

And now for the obligatory Animaniacs joke before I sleep.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
People STILL make Youtube poops? I remember watching stuff like that in 2007..... almost 10 years ago.
In a way, some people still make them like in the olds days (In 2015 nonetheless with Sony Vegas). But they aren't hugely popular anymore since MLG is the new thing these days that's been taking their popularity lately. Even the single mention of these videos would get you banned from the Youchew Poop community according to TV Tropes.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
>Not having Frieza as the best DBZ villain

Honestly wtf
Pretty much, especially considering he has his own theme and came back canonically. That's how big he is.
This was so funny.

Because Maron was just an anime filler character then Toriyama just happens to name his canon daughter Marron.

Like what are the chances.
Remember, Toriyama forget a lot of things. EVERYTIME.

Bet you don't even remember Launch

I mean...

Make everyone BUT Link talk.

As in have a voice.

That speaks real words.
Or go the SCEJ route of making everyone but Link speak Japan

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Alright so this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen~
Danny Devito would sell that game to me day 1. But knowing how lame NoA is, I highly doubt they would ever do something this cool. If they won't bring over Mother 3 (Even with available translations out there, along with fans willing to retranslate the game for free), I highly doubt Nintendo would pay a big name actor to voice a game thats not even getting a physical release.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Danny Devito would sell that game to me day 1. But knowing how lame NoA is, I highly doubt they would ever do something this cool. If they won't bring over Mother 3 (Even with available translations out there, along with fans willing to retranslate the game for free), I highly doubt Nintendo would pay a big name actor to voice a game thats not even getting a physical release.
Pokemon Company might.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Don't really know where the thread is at right now, but I saw talk of whether or not Link should speak.

I think he should, at this point, Link being mute is just a gag people use in fan parodies more than anything else. It serves little purpose in the actual games.

The original idea for Link was that he is just supposed to be a blank character the player can project themselves onto, but they have very clearly abandoned that idea as the various Links since Wind Waker have had a more defined personality.

Link being mute is just a tradition with no point to it now. If Mario is allowed to speak, I don't see why Link can't.

Shroob

Sup?
Don't really know where the thread is at right now, but I saw talk of whether or not Link should speak.

I think he should, at this point, Link being mute is just a gag people use in fan parodies more than anything else. It serves little purpose in the actual games.

The original idea for Link was that he is just supposed to be a blank character the player can project themselves onto, but they have very clearly abandoned that idea as the various Links since Wind Waker have had a more defined personality.

Link being mute is just a tradition with no point to it now. If Mario is allowed to speak, I don't see why Link can't.
Well, you kinda said it yourself. Link was originally a blank character. Mario never was. There's the main difference.

Mario's always had a defined personality, Link hasn't.

Honestly, I feel like Link being mute is part of his character at this point.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Disney villains? Obscure as hell, but I really enjoyed Arpin Lusène

He tries robbing Scrooge solely for the thrill of the hunt, he's charming, he willingly accepts defeat in his rematch with Scrooge after initially being mad before complementing how smart his tactics were, escapes from handcuffs with a moustache hair and he also said a naughty word. He said **** in french

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everyone but Link talks.
I really don't like this idea to be honest.
Because I have very recently played a game where this is in practice and it's awkward as hell: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The only participation Cross has in cutscenes is nodding or shaking their head, yet somehow it gets the point across to the other, naturally-speaking characters.

It was fine at first but it ended up making me feel like Cross was REALLY a third wheel in their own story after a while.

So yeah, if complete voice work is in a Zelda game, Link should be included.
I mean, it's not like it will destroy his character to speak words - it's implied. He just wouldn't be a loadmouth like in the awful cartoon and CDi games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, you kinda said it yourself. Link was originally a blank character. Mario never was. There's the main difference.

Mario's always had a defined personality, Link hasn't.

Honestly, I feel like Link being mute is part of his character at this point.
Mario was a blank character initially though.

And even if he wasn't, that doesn't make a difference. Link is still more defined than him now. He should be talking.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really don't like this idea to be honest.
Because I have very recently played a game where this is in practice and it's awkward as hell: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The only participation Cross has in cutscenes is nodding or shaking their head, yet somehow it gets the point across to the other, naturally-speaking characters.

It was fine at first but it ended up making me feel like Cross was REALLY a third wheel in their own story after a while.

So yeah, if complete voice work is in a Zelda game, Link should be included.
I mean, it's not like it will destroy his character to speak words - it's implied. He just wouldn't be a loadmouth like in the awful cartoon and CDi games.
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption did it perfectly.

Besides, you can use clever writing and spacing tricks to avoid those kinds of problems.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pretty much, especially considering he has his own theme and came back canonically. That's how big he is.

Remember, Toriyama forget a lot of things. EVERYTIME.

Bet you don't even remember Launch

Or go the SCEJ route of making everyone but Link speak Japan
Yeah, I wonder why Launch wasn't in Dragon Ball Z

It's not like other weak characters weren't part of the show

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mario was a blank character initially though.

And even if he wasn't, that doesn't make a difference. Link is still more defined than him now. He should be talking.
I don't know.

I think Mario is more defined. He has a personality that's consistent and noticeable. Mario is always Mario and even his portrayal in spinoffs and RPGs keep his personality the same.

Link's personality changes every game. The only similarities the Links all share is that they're kind hearted and courageous. Just look at how different :4link: and :4tlink: in personality. Even then, its very subtle.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I do not like it, in most cases, when the player chracter talks. It bothers me so much in games like Fallout 4. I hate picking a dialouge option and have him say something completely different. Plus, it takes much longer. I really hope the next Elder Scrolls won't have a talk-y protagonist.

I want Link to stay silent. It would bother me so much if he started talking, even if it's only in text.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I do not like it, in most cases, when the player chracter talks. It bothers me so much in games like Fallout 4. I hate picking a dialouge option and have him say something completely different. Plus, it takes much longer. I really hope the next Elder Scrolls won't have a talk-y protagonist.

I want Link to stay silent. It would bother me so much if he started talking, even if it's only in text.
Reminds me a lot of the choices in The Old Republic

Sometimes they said something completely opposite of what you thought they were saying

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Reminds me a lot of the choices in The Old Republic

Sometimes they said something completely opposite of what you thought they were saying
Haha, indeed. I really don't like that. If I'm gonna read a bunch of choices, it is unecessary to also hear the character say what I already read. Which is probably why they say something sorta different, but that ruins the purpose of choosing in the first place. I hate it the most when it is a game where you make your own character. But games like The Witcher 3 was also annoying. And I would hate seeing it in Zelda. There is no reason for Link to talk, imo, and I hope it stays like that.

Gotta love when games makes fun of the main character for not talking, though. Ala The Stick of Truth.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't mind Link speaking if they did a good job handling his voice work honestly. And as long as they don't overdo it and have him talking "too much" if that makes any sense....

I will say that Link being a silent protagonist has definitely become part of his character, though he's not entirely a mute either. Some incarnations of him aren't anyway. Wind Waker Link will say "Come on!" to any partners with him (Medli, Makar, and the Servants in the Tower of the Gods), and then there's always this bit from The Adventure of Link:

Both of these instances are fairly minor I suppose, but they're still noteworthy.

If Link ever was given some form of proper dialogue, I would want it to be rather limited.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Link should talk like Banjo

and instead of "Uhh yuh!"

It should be like his rolling sound effect or something like "AH Yah! Hyaaaaa!"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know.

I think Mario is more defined. He has a personality that's consistent and noticeable. Mario is always Mario and even his portrayal in spinoffs and RPGs keep his personality the same.

Link's personality changes every game. The only similarities the Links all share is that they're kind hearted and courageous. Just look at how different :4link: and :4tlink: in personality. Even then, its very subtle.
Mario's personality is completely different in a lot of spin-offs. Some of them make him an outright jerk. He's even been an antagonist before. He's even been the damsel in distress before. Smash makes him "Mar-Ryu" because it's a fighting game and Mario is Nintendo's main mascot and therefore a poster boy for Smash, so they needed Mario to come across as a real fighter character. Dr. Mario would imply that he is highly intelligent (even the Smash version gives this vibe) and more quiet and focused, but on the contrary, many games portray him as a complete dolt. Mario is a character built to be so blank they can put him in any role they want. His only personality trait across the board is that he is jolly most of the time and is rarely depicted as comprehending something in a completely sincere manner (basically, he has emotions, but he doesn't really have feelings - Mario may be sad sometimes, but he will never be seriously depressed about something and have a story arc written around that) and is pretty much always over the top in everything he does. Like Miyamoto has stated in the past, Mario is like an old 60's cartoon character. He just fills whatever role they want him to.

Link is always the big hero, and each Link, while different, has multiple elements that carry over across every game, as opposed to Mario who is totally different depending on what role he plays. Link easily has way more definition than Mario does.

And if anything, I see the fact that there are different Links with differing personality elements to be more of an excuse to have him talk - they could use this as an effective marketing tool and hype up a change in voice actor with each iteration of Link, by using well known actors. For example, what if they had called in someone like Kate Higgins to voice the young Toon Link in Wind Waker? Then had Yuri Lowenthal portray the older Link in Twilight Princess, who goes through darker experiences? And then with Skyward Sword, they full on call in a celebrity actor like, maybe, Elijah Wood (just a random one, he jumps to mind since he works on a lot of fantasy characters)?

I just don't see any downside to Zelda having voice acting. I don't care for pointless traditions.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
Link talking on games is obnoxious,I thought this point was already clear.
And if anything, I see the fact that there are different Links with differing personality elements to be more of an excuse to have him talk - they could use this as an effective marketing tool and hype up a change in voice actor with each iteration of Link, by using well known actors. For example, what if they had called in someone like Kate Higgins to voice the young Toon Link in Wind Waker? Then had Yuri Lowenthal portray the older Link in Twilight Princess, who goes through darker experiences? And then with Skyward Sword, they full on call in a celebrity actor like, maybe, Elijah Wood (just a random one, he jumps to mind since he works on a lot of fantasy characters)?
Just no :4sonic:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's actually a pretty good idea, Sonicbrawler. Being that we have zero examples of a talking Link in a high quality game in the first place, there's no way to judge how well it would go. Best thing to do would be to test it in a spin-off/new game designed to be about options(giving him good chances to speak, and maybe even have a voice selector for the lines so people can enjoy all kinds of different acting), using good voice actors. Nothing like the poorly done CD-i games(they're great for memes, but let's not pretend they're high quality).

I don't find the tradition that interesting, cause there's no reason for Link to be completely silent. He has too much characterization now. He stopped being a blank slate a while ago. Now, I don't think his gender is all that important, but his characterization is another story.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can understand Link not talking from a thematic point but as for the rest of the cast, mostly seems like a cost saving measure so they only need the Japanese VAs to grunt, ergo no translation costs.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Let's get this straitgh,if wind waker had voice acting back on the days where everyone was doing,I doubt we would be even talking about the zelda franchise nowadays.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Make sure you review the SWF rules, and the thread rules before posting.

I've seen a lot of posts which break rules #3 and #6 lately:

3. Images, videos, etc must be relevant to the topic at hand, or be a new topic that the user wants to introduce. Posts that are for "like-farming" are not permitted.

6. Your post must be substantial. "Happy birthday" posts must have something related to the topic on hand. You may always post a 'happy birthday' message on the user's page, or PM without reservations.

If people see posts that break those rules, don't be afraid to click that "report button".

I've been sick for a couple of days now, so I haven't been as active as I usually am.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Smash NX is a port of WiiU and they DON'T add additional Stages and characters (that includes the 3DS stages too) what smaller changes would you want?

1. Remove duplicate custom moves from drops. At least duplicate equipment can be sold and trophies can be used for dioramas.
2. Custom moves for DLC characters.
3. Give Cloud English VA-ing and more Final Fantasy Music
4. Sort out the select screen.

Shroob

Sup?
If Smash NX is a port of WiiU and they DON'T add additional Stages and characters (that includes the 3DS stages too) what smaller changes would you want?

1. Remove duplicate custom moves from drops. At least duplicate equipment can be sold and trophies can be used for dioramas.
I wish they had made Negative effects on equipment easier to obtain. I've played the 3DS version for over 200 hours, and I'm still missing 10 unique effects on Equipment, all negative ones.

Some of the negative effects are actually really neat, but they're SO rare. Makes me wish there was an external site that let us make custom equipment.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Well you've said evrrything I'd like excluding the stages already. Tho I would put number 4 at number 1 spot in terms of priority and everything else would move 1 down. Also Cloud English VA I wouldn't mind if it didn't change, really.

Edit: MORE FINAL FANTASY MUSIC PLEASE!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just want a "Start as Metal" effect. I'm surprised it's not an option, but I'm guessing it could require more programming to do. And the effects are for both versions, and considering that we can't choose Special Mode in the 3DS version, similar custom effects were removed too.

That said, I agree with the other custom moves/item ideas.

I still think it'll have some exclusives straight out, assuming it's an enhanced port.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Make sure you review the SWF rules, and the thread rules before posting.

I've seen a lot of posts which break rules #3 and #6 lately:

3. Images, videos, etc must be relevant to the topic at hand, or be a new topic that the user wants to introduce. Posts that are for "like-farming" are not permitted.

6. Your post must be substantial. "Happy birthday" posts must have something related to the topic on hand. You may always post a 'happy birthday' message on the user's page, or PM without reservations.

If people see posts that break those rules, don't be afraid to click that "report button".

I've been sick for a couple of days now, so I haven't been as active as I usually am.
I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, Pushy.

And I'm sorry if my Splatoon post counts as against the rules. I did not mean to.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, this is the last day of the last full week of January. Sunday starts the first week of February.

We're soo close, I can almost taste it.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I'd prefer the character talk if they're able to; it's much more realistic. Also this.
I don't find the tradition that interesting, cause there's no reason for Link to be completely silent. He has too much characterization now. He stopped being a blank slate a while ago. Now, I don't think his gender is all that important, but his characterization is another story.
That's the reason why I dislike how Samus' opening monologue in a Metroid game was removed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
After reading some Zelda manga, I really don't mind the idea of a talking Link.

I mean, provided the voice acting isn't as horrible as the CD-i cutscenes, but then again, the CD-i games aren't really an example of quality.

Assuming they can bring some experienced voice actors and provide with good voice direction, it's something that could work.

As a matter of fact, the Japan-only Tetra's Trackers mini-game in Four Swords Adventures had full voice acting for Tetra and the pirates (in Japanese, obviously).

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Pretty much all of those. But I have plenty of other things I would like to see them do besides characters and stages and what not, most of which heavily involve using existing assets.

-Flesh out the single-player. There are plenty of ways to do this, but the biggest incentive I can think of to buy an enhanced port of Smash Wii U/3DS is to add a story mode, or even just an Adventure Mode the length of SSE, but without the fancy cutscenes. That alone (assuming it's done well) would sky-rocket Smash Wii U as literally being worthy of legendary status for more than just the roster. I think this is something they could reasonably do in a year (though for all we know they may have started with Smash NX even as soon as DLC started, we really can't know when right now, assuming the game is real), especially since Smash 3DS already has a ton of enemy programming done, and they can just re-use existing assets from regular Smash stages for these Adventure stages in some cases. The custom mechanics of the overall game would also lend themselves really well to such a mode.

-Updated Smash Run. Make it Smash Wii U (or Smash NX, I suppose) quality graphics. Make it playable online. Allow players to interact with each other on the map. And add some options, like a timer adjuster, being able to play multiple events at the end of the Smash Run session, etc. Maybe add a new map or two.

-Allow more modes to be playable online in general. I'd love to play Smash Tour, Classic Mode, All-Star, Co-Op Events, etc, with friends online. At the very least, Special Smash should be added. A bug in Smash Wii U proves it's possible.

-A third custom variant for each special move (with DLC characters also getting three customs for each special too). It's a concept they had that didn't make it into the final game so I think it would be worth revisiting for an enhanced port.

-More alts, both texture based and model based. At the very least, I think every character should have 16 alts, like Little Mac. In fact, giving each character at least one major costume change like Advent Children Cloud and Hoodie Mac/Wireframe Mac, should be reasonable. And PLEASE add those obvious alts they missed the first time, most notably the Cosmic Spirit alt for Rosalina (that's the most glaring example IMO because the texture for it is THERE on her model).

-Enhanced amiibo functionality. If I can't take them into most modes at least, then I expect them to at least make amiibo usable with friends online, have a specific "With Anyone" mode or tournament setting that allows you to play with amiibo against randoms online, and I expect amiibo to be integrated well into at least one single-player mode, even if it's designed specifically for using amiibo with. There is no excuse to not do this, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash proved amiibo can work online, and games like Shovel Knight and Yoshi's Woolly World prove you can do some cool things with them for single-player experiences.

These are just a few things I can think of for now.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If Cloud returns, I kinda don't want him to have English VA... I've gotten used to his Japanese voice.

Now, if only Smash had the option to change voices for each character... I'd switch some characters to their Japanese voices for the fact they're just better than their English ones (like Fox, Falco or Ike).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

The game could probably come out with no changes aside from including all the DLC and I'd still buy it.

But small changes I'd want:
1. Sort out the CSS
2. All Customs unlocked by default
3. Being able to swap between EN and JP VAs per character

Das it mang

Bigger changes:
1. Porting 3DS stages to console
2. Better training mode
3. Better matchmaking
4. Better Pizza
5. Papa Johns

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I found this super cute fan-art.

The DLC bike got me.

Also look at Sonic all like "THIS IS TOO SLOW I MUST GET OUT SO I CAN GO FAST".

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, this is the last day of the last full week of January. Sunday starts the first week of February.

We're soo close, I can almost taste it.
Next week is pretty much nothing but Pokemon for me. Got the new TCG Expansion coming out which I have coupons for, new ORAS manga chapter, Mega Charizard vs. Ash Greninja in the anime, and I got tickets for Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom