• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The RH franchise is very popular in Japan. Its newest game on the 3DS managed to outsell Fire Emblem Fates in Japan in 2015. Even if they aren't nearly as requested, they are still an essential part of Nintendo's history, responsible for making the Nintendo DS very popular with the second installment.

We've seen far more representation for RH than Nintendo's other niche franchises like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc. with the Smash Run enemy, trophies, and songs in the game. If the technical limitations are not going to hamper the NX version this time, then I can see them being in the game alongside Ice Climbers at the least.
That's still assuming they were going to choose Chorus Men. There's nothing really implying it was them. Just a leaker. The actual content we found inside the game suggests a Rhythm Heaven character was intended at most.

And Fates' petting mini-game was very unpopular in Japan too. It's not surprising the sales weren't that great. They still don't have the severe impact as people are suggesting. There's no specific key mascot for the series either, meaning no particular character is overdue. It definitely deserves content(which it did get already), though. No denying that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And rhythm is explosively popular in Japan, so it's a pretty important genre at least over there. And sales was just one point I bought up, I guess you didn't see the rest?
So, it's popular in 1 country in this world

Thus deserving

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Implying it's real, I just see it as a "GOTY Edition" rounding up the DLC, maybe add a costume or two, and little else.

Let's be real, Corrin and Bayonetta are the last characters. We're not getting any more. And I see no reason that this may somehow be an exception to that (apart from hoping and wishing).
He's a man of his word, and I'm damn sure he's going to keep it.

Chrono.

Apparently there's a fake Smash NX leak going around with the following characters:
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Snake
Yu Narukami
Elma
Henry Flemming

And people are believing it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There are going to be 0 new characters in the NX version

Assuming there IS an NX version

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's a man of his word, and I'm damn sure he's going to keep it.
This is assuming Sakurai would be a major part of it.

We now have a very competent team behind the series.

Sakurai may just take a break.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
. . .I would jump in, but I keep remembering there's only like 10-20 characters I'm OK with and I hate pretty much every other possible candidate for Smash 5 outside of that group, so I'd pretty much offend everyone.

I will say that if any character strikes me as being the closest thing to a shoo-in, it's the Inklings, just based on how many parallels to Melee-era Pikmin Splatoon has combined with it's viral marketing.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Apparently there's a fake Smash NX leak going around with the following characters:
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Snake
Yu Narukami
Elma
Henry Flemming

I swear, gamers have got to be the leading consumer in straws.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just put in Inklings, Chorus Kids, Isaac, Andy and add the Ice Climbers back and I think we're good on Nintendo franchises for now.
Wouldn't that be nice...

I could see it happening too. You know, except for Andy. And Isaac. And the Inklings and Chorus Kids.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Thus deserving
To be fair, Fire Emblem got a character even if it was Japan only back in Melee. That was only because it was really popular in Japan. That was mentioned in Marth's JP dojo page.

That's not the only beneficial factor the RH franchise has. There's also their uniqueness, the fact that can promote the newest 3DS RH game in addition, and the RH character logo being data-mined. Even if there's a lack of popularity in requests, there's still many beneficial factors that could point to their inclusion in the NX version, if there are any new characters anyway and assuming that it happens.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
This is assuming Sakurai would be a major part of it.

We now have a very competent team behind the series.

Sakurai may just take a break.
Well one, knowing him he will.
And two, we wasn't just referring to himself, but more so being the representative for the entire team.
And three, he stated that Corrin and Bayonetta were the last characters. I mean, that's pretty damning evidence right there. That alone kill this entire argument.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, apparently Youtube has been disabling some channels features and completely deleting other people's channels lately

Copyright strikes like crazy

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, Fire Emblem got a character even if it was Japan only back in Melee. That was only because it was really popular in Japan. That was mentioned in Marth's JP dojo page.

That's not the only beneficial factor the RH franchise has. There's also their uniqueness, the fact that can promote the newest 3DS RH game in addition, and the RH character logo being data-mined. Even if there's a lack of popularity in requests, there's still many beneficial factors that could point to their inclusion in the NX version, if there are any new characters anyway and assuming that it happens.
I think you're missing the context of what started this; Nobody is saying that they can't or shouldn't get a character. Just that "overdue" is incorrect. They weren't among the "we really need a character from the series" at that point. Likewise, another issue is it has no defining mascot for more than a single game. That likely is why it got no one. Nobody represents it the same way as Pokemon has one. Or Mario. Or DK. Or Metroid. Etc.

Thus, the idea of getting courses, multiple assist trophies, tons of music, and maybe a mini-game or two to earn stuff could also fit well. There's more than one way to represent a series, after all. :)

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Where did the assumption that any Smash release on NX is inevitably going to be a DX Edition even come from?

There's no precedent for it, and it's not like Smash doesn't have a history of people assuming it would work like other fighting games only for it to go and prove the people assuming that wrong. People said "guests never stay in other fighting games" and assumed Sonic would be cut, for example. That didn't happen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I'd really have no problem with a rhythm heaven character got in

But there has been no real reason the Chorus kid's have been supported except Gematsu

Maybe if a character had previously gained a bit of popularity and still had it to this day I'd except the idea more

A character that got in with it's own merit

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Thus deserving
Japan has the most influence on Smash by far. Rhythm is popular over there, and "there" is Smash's biggest country.

And it's pretty big in many other places too. Rhythm is popular in America. But honestly that's all I'm sure of, I bet you can't name how popular some of your favorite genres are in say Austrlia

That's still assuming they were going to choose Chorus Men. There's nothing really implying it was them. Just a leaker. The actual content we found inside the game suggests a Rhythm Heaven character was intended at most.

And Fates' petting mini-game was very unpopular in Japan too. It's not surprising the sales weren't that great. They still don't have the severe impact as people are suggesting. There's no specific key mascot for the series either, meaning no particular character is overdue. It definitely deserves content(which it did get already), though. No denying that.
A leaker who was correct in every way except Chrom from what we saw. I'm not starting a Gematsu argument but it was real to a point and that likely includes Chorus Kids.

I didn't realize Wii Fit had a mascot. And Marshal can be considered a mascot for the series easy.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think you're missing the context of what started this; Nobody is saying that they can't or shouldn't get a character. Just that "overdue" is incorrect. They weren't among the "we really need a character from the series" at that point. Likewise, another issue is it has no defining mascot for more than a single game. That likely is why it got no one. Nobody represents it the same way as Pokemon has one. Or Mario. Or DK. Or Metroid. Etc.

Thus, the idea of getting courses, multiple assist trophies, tons of music, and maybe a mini-game or two to earn stuff could also fit well. There's more than one way to represent a series, after all. :)
It's really subjective with what's overdue anyway.

So why continue the debate. I'll just end it there.

I'd really have no problem with a rhythm heaven character got in

But there has been no real reason the Chorus kid's have been supported except Gematsu

Maybe if a character had previously gained a bit of popularity and still had it to this day I'd except the idea more

A character that got in with it's own merit
Yeah, they don't have much popularity I agree. I say it time and time again, but that alone isn't going to stop a RH character from happening especially with Sakurai.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well one, knowing him he will.
His health was never this bad.

And two, we wasn't just referring to himself, but more so being the representative for the entire team.
That isn't true actually.

And three, he stated that Corrin and Bayonetta were the last characters. I mean, that's pretty damning evidence right there. That alone kill this entire argument.
For Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.

This hypothetical situation describes a brand new game, most likely a year or two from now. Even if it's an enhanced version, it would be treated as its own new game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Where did the assumption that any Smash release on NX is inevitably going to be a DX Edition even come from?

There's no precedent for it, and it's not like Smash doesn't have a history of people assuming it would work like other fighting games only for it to go and prove the people assuming that wrong. People said "guests never stay in other fighting games" and assumed Sonic would be cut, for example. That didn't happen.
So your argument is assuming we'll get a DX version is a fallacy because there's no precedent for it just like how there was no precedent for a guest returning which ended up happening.

k.

This would be a REALLY short dev time. It's meant to be a release title. Unless the NX ships later than a lo of people are predicting it would be an extremely small amount of time for a new smash title.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
His health was never this bad.
Fair enough.

That isn't true actually.
How so? I don't recall him referring to only himself.

For Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.

This hypothetical situation describes a brand new game, most likely a year or two from now. Even if it's an enhanced version, it would be treated as its own new game.
And how do you know it's a new game? Looking at the quote:
"I haven't heard if it's a completely new (numbered) Smash Bros or not. Otherwise, source situation is solid."
I can't exactly say that's solid enough to say a new title is in the works. Hell, usually it takes at least a good five or six years before they start on a new one.

I'm just saying it seems pointless to tack on a brand new game so soon. Enhanced remake or otherwise.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So your argument is assuming we'll get a DX version is a fallacy because there's no precedent for it just like how there was no precedent for a guest returning which ended up happening.

k.
I just get a bad feeling when the primary argument behind something is "other fighting games did it."
This would be a REALLY short dev time. It's meant to be a release title. Unless the NX ships later than a lo of people are predicting it would be an extremely small amount of time for a new smash title.
Well technically they could have diverted some workers as soon as 4 released since DLC uses a smaller team, and Melee was rushed pretty hard. Wasn't Melee made in, like, a year and a half? If they diverted some workers immediately they would have more time than that to make the game.

I'm not saying DX edition isn't going to happen, and since I don't like the idea one bit it probably means that's what we're getting, but the sheer number of people accepting a hypothetical situation as concrete fact kinda bothers me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Snake
Yu Narukami
Elma
Henry Flemming

I want so badly to believe...but can't.

Mainly because with Elma and Henry, they'd be going for recency, and they definitely wouldn't leave out the Inklings if that were the case.

But even more than that, thinking that an NX port would get more than the Ice Climbers at most (and even that's a long shot) just seems like desperation from fake leaks disguised as a wishlist. However, the fake leaker has good taste. S.T.E.A.M. and all. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A thought occurs, (damn, I have a lame catchphrase) if the NX is a portable, it may end up being a port of Smash 3DS instead.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
A thought occurs, (damn, I have a lame catchphrase) if the NX is a portable, it may end up being a port of Smash 3DS instead.
If it's happening, I'd say it's gonna be the Wii U version. This is a new console, and (implying it's portable) I'm assuming it's going to be better than the 3DS if not the New 3DS as well. And since Smash Wii U is considered the superior version...

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So we practically have three theories at the moment as to why kind of Smash Bros. thing could be launching on the NX (provided the rumor is true of course):

- An all new Smash game built from the ground up.

- Smash Bros. for Wii U on NX with 3DS Content and some new content.

- A secret 3rd version of Smash 4 that was in development since 2014 (Smash 6 Rumor Basically) and will have different modes and stages similar to the differences of the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Now, (in my opinion) I personally believe it is a souped up port of Smash Wii U. Although, what do you guys think?

Strawpoll Link: (http://strawpoll.me/6666943)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I want so badly to believe...but can't.

Mainly because with Elma and Henry, they'd be going for recency, and they definitely wouldn't leave out the Inklings if that were the case.

But even more than that, thinking that an NX port would get more than the Ice Climbers at most (and even that's a long shot) just seems like desperation from fake leaks disguised as a wishlist. However, the fake leaker has good taste. S.T.E.A.M. and all. :p
Eh, Wolf was clearly worked on as the custom moves show. He seems fairly possible too. Anybody else(besides Ice Climbers) feels like more of a stretch. He was cut due to time constraints. That probably won't exist if they do little but a few new additions.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That leak with Henry and Yu in it is false.

Yu would not be in over Jack Frost. This isn't even from a bias standpoint, if Nintendo asked Atlus they'd definitely put Jack in I feel.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So we practically have three theories at the moment as to why kind of Smash Bros. thing could be launching on the NX (provided the rumor is true of course):

- A secret 3rd version of Smash 4 that was in development since 2014 (Smash 6 Rumor Basically) and will have different modes and stages similar to the differences of the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Now, (in my opinion) I personally believe it is a souped up port of Smash Wii U. Although, what do you guys think?

I am the only one here who thinks it's a new game, and I can't vote because I don't think it's Smash 4 but at the same time I DO think it might have been worked on since 2014 and technically Brawl and 4 weren't built from the ground up either.

Eeeeyugh. :/

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Yeah, can't vote either. You forgot the "Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U versions combined with some new content". That's more than possible enough and shouldn't be ignored.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That leak with Henry and Yu in it is false.

Yu would not be in over Jack Frost. This isn't even from a bias standpoint, if Nintendo asked Atlus they'd definitely put Jack in I feel.
The question of Main character vs Mascot. Pokemon went mascot (Pikachu over trainer) and to our suprise Final Fantasy went main character (Cloud) over any of the mascot-ish ones (Moogle, Chocobo, Black Mage). I feel Jack Frost would go over Yu. And not because I'm sick of people complaining about Anime swordsmen.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Yeah, can't vote either. You forgot the "Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U versions combined with some new content". That's more than possible enough and shouldn't be ignored.
Well "Smash Bros. for Wii U on NX with 3DS Content and some new content" is practically the same thing if you think about it :p.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The question of Main character vs Mascot. Pokemon went mascot (Pikachu over trainer) and to our suprise Final Fantasy went main character (Cloud) over any of the mascot-ish ones (Moogle, Chocobo, Black Mage). I feel Jack Frost would go over Yu. And not because I'm sick of people complaining about Anime swordsmen.
Jack Frost has a lot more history with gaming and Nintendo and is a personal favorite of Atlus. Yu only represents the Persona aspect while Jack represents the Megami Tensei series and it's subseries, which is very vast. Persona isn't the only Megami Tensei game. But it's good you've let Jack into your heart

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The poll needs "just a Wii U port with all the DLC". Or at least "Wii U + 3DS port DLC included".
Gotta rep the pessimists as well.

Alternatively: "Why the hell are giving a text leak this much thought?"

Last edited:
Btw, it's been proven Kotaku lied. A screenshot showing My Room in the English version has an explanation mark to signify more skinship stuff
First off swamp posted that yesterday.
EDIT maybe that was something else?

Second, that might just be something new they used to replace skinship.
Alternatively: "Why the hell are giving a text leak this much thought?"
That's what I would have voted for. . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom