• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Rip in pepperoni Xenoblade X2

I don't believe you...

THERE'S ANOTHER KUNG FU PANDA COMING OUT!?

But they keep the amie lines and just adapt it to fit the theme
"Oh yeah, thrust that spear on me more!"
"I never knew you were so skilled at swordplay"
"But I know you look better without your armor..."
You don't believe me, but!.....

Yeah, i am maybe a little lying. But atleast i don't talk in a way that is annoying. Atleast, people haven't say anything on my way to talk about Undertale.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Man, 4chan and other sites are PISSED.

Reddit you really can't tell and NeoGAF is boned either way because of mod abuse.

But one guy did make a point on /v/ ironically:
"The skinship was bad but they took out a feature in a game for the gameplay and didn't even replace it with anything."

It does makes it harder to enjoy the game or even buy it knowing I'm purchasing a butchered game from the original release.

I know most of you guys are excited over the removal of the skinship but damn man, the sole fact they took out a gameplay feature and DIDN'T even replace it with something to deal with the supports faster and making harder to get Kanna early.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man, 4chan and other sites are PISSED.

Reddit you really can't tell and NeoGAF is boned either way because of mod abuse.

But one guy did make a point on /v/ ironically:
"The skinship was bad but they took out a feature in a game for the gameplay and didn't even replace it with anything."

It does makes it harder to enjoy the game or even buy it knowing I'm purchasing a butchered game from the original release.

I know most of you guys are excited over the removal of the skinship but damn man, the sole fact they took out a gameplay feature and DIDN'T even replace it with something to deal with the supports faster and making harder to get Kanna early.
So it's 100% confirmed it's not getting a replacement? That's dumb

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I still haven't completed the A.B.E. Gauntlet since I'm absolutely terrible at the A.B.E. sections, winning by pure luck. My mind views it as deceptively similar to Punch-Out!!, which I'm pretty good at, but then combining it with S.T.E.A.M. mechanics messes with my brain too much. :p
I can give you some tips since I got into a very distinct rhythm.

Devastator: All Drill Punch. Go straight in, hit him three times, and he gets knocked over, making him vulnerable. Then use your special while he's down. On earlier rounds, this is a one-kit KO on the spot. On later rounds (the bosses get more health with each round, and you fight each one six times in total), after using your special, retreat out before he gets up (walking should be fine, you don't even need to dash). Every time the Devastator gets up after being knocked down, it performs that close range "roar" attack, that's really slow and telegraphed, so you can easily avoid it, go back in, punch him another three times to knock him down (don't worry if it's starting attack animations for the lasers and even the roar, Drill Punch interrupts every attack he has), and keep on punching him with another 3-4 hits when he's down, repeating this until he's finished.

Devastator Mk.II: This is the most annoying of the three (in fact the other two never caused me any trouble, it was just this guy) and the one that screwed me over all of the time on failed runs but I got the hang of it. Everything I've said about the original Devastator applies to this one. The key differences however, are the Snowball attack (which isn't a problem and he should never even get a chance to use it), and the Swarmers littering the map. These guys make things annoying as they slow your movement when you bump into them (similar to the breakable obstacles like the trees on the maps), and they tend to be everywhere. So basically, use the same general strategy as I have described for the original Devastator, but if your movement is being slowed down all of a sudden when trying to walk away from the roar attack, use a dash towards where you need to go and it will ignore the Swarmers and will get you out of harms way. The same applies to getting back into him before he gets to use a ranged attack (and once again, Drill Punch will interrupt everything he has as long as it connects). It also might be worth your time and steam to pull out Gun Fist every so often to clear out some Swarmers (they die in one hit) as he's doing the roar attack, but be careful to not hit the Devastator with Gun Fist while he's doing the roar attack. Because if you do, for some reason, he will immediately cancel it and let out a ranged attack. Also, it may have just been a coincidence, but I consistently noticed that the right side of the map tended to remain more clear of Swarmers, so I tended to go in from around that side, so it may be worth trying out.

Great Shugguth: All Gun Fist. This one is actually brain dead, it just takes time. Literally all you have to do is remain a good distance from him and abuse Gun Fist (I generally use a full charge, let it recover, and repeat), while strafing (using normal walking, you should rarely need to dash) from one side of the map to the other. If you end up too close to one side of the map while he's about to fire the first set of lasers in the laser attack, change direction as he is firing that first batch and you should be more than fine. He also has that big ice beam attack but it's super telegraphed so just keep walking in the opposite direction to where he is facing while charging it and firing it and you will be fine. This strategy takes time since he has a lot of health even by default but it's completely air tight and works every time.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Bah! Just means you gotta put in more work!
Ya can't just earn your broken kid army with face poking alone! Ya'll need to work for it.
Actually, by what I've been hearing, only a handful of kids are useful and that the kids in Fates are alot less broken than the ones in Awakening, especially the Avatar's kid, who is apparently considered one of the worse ones. By what I heard, alot of the broken stuff in Awakening is alot less broken in Fates, especially Magic, spellcasters and pair-up.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So it's 100% confirmed it's not getting a replacement? That's dumb
It was a lose-lose situation

Keep it on there and be known for having a 'creepy' feature and bring in more controversy or remove it, replace it with nothing and have your fanbase explode in rage and hate NoA even more. Especially after Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame and all those memes in recent titles

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It was a lose-lose situation

Keep it on there and be known for having a 'creepy' feature and bring in more controversy or remove it, replace it with nothing and have your fanbase explode in rage and hate NoA even more. Especially after Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame and all those memes in recent titles
You're slightly wrong. The problem isn't a few idiots who are anti everything about change, but how something that actually benefits you in game got cut

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You're slightly wrong. The problem isn't a few idiots who are anti everything about change, but how something that actually benefits you in game got cut
Not really, but it's the major issue.

NoA has looked like the worst of the worst (on par with NIS America and ATLUS USA) and all this does is put them in the worst light.

Look I'm not saying the skinship is fine. Hell no, that thing is killing FE more than cutting it out but the sole fact that they are removing it, replacing it with noting AND that massive $80 price tag for three games that can easily fit on one card is really upsetting me. I rather just stick with Awakening and be fine with that and the older games.

I can defend Xenoblade X and Fatal Frame's because the gameplay wouldn't be effected as much and at worst it's just dialogue changes but taking out a massive gameplay features is backbreaking to the fullest and it shows that of it doesn't fit their ideals then any gameplay feature can be cut.

And God forbid of its sold as DLC (maybe if it's free but that would be soul crushing)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The fact I'd have to use face-rubbing as means to improve my units is just sad, though.

The fact the feature existed in the first place and had gameplay purposes is proof of how FE has gone deep into otaku pandering territory and becoming a dating sim wannabe.

Older FEs never had any sort of controversy because they had no waifu bull****. They were just plain strategy RPGs.

The series can continue to cause noise for all I care, but it pains me to see what's happening to it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The fact I'd have to use face-rubbing as means to improve my units is just sad, though.

The fact the feature existed in the first place and had gameplay purposes is proof of how FE has gone deep into otaku pandering territory and becoming a dating sim wannabe.

Older FEs never had any sort of controversy because they had no waifu bull****. They were just plain strategy RPGs.

The series can continue to cause noise for all I care, but it pains me to see what's happening to it.
I honestly don't mind the whole breeding mechanic. But we don't need to see what goes on in the bedroom. I like story and character interaction too. I don't mind pure gameplay(Quest 64), but... yeah.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I honestly don't mind the whole breeding mechanic. But we don't need to see what goes on in the bedroom. I like story and character interaction too. I don't mind pure gameplay(Quest 64), but... yeah.
They should just find eggs and not where they came from

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, the FE Amie dialogue... I won't miss it.

"You really do know how to handle a sword, huh?~"

*Shudders*

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

This is just shows how screwed up Nintendo is.

This doesn't help or benefit anything or anyone and this hurts.

Dragon Quest, Harvest Moon (not an RPG but still counts) and Valkyria Chronicles had a gameplay mechanics like this with the marriage and kids mechanics but the fact what IS did to add something like the skinship and the sole fact that few members of IS and Nintendo were against it and STILL put it in shows that FE is now for the deepest of weebs and otakus.

Nintendo needs to put their goddamn foot down and know their limits. I don't even care if you publish or sell the games but make sure it's with a different franchise

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Unpopular opinion.

I honestly don't get what's so wrong with skin-shipping to begin with.

Like kissing, skin-shipping isn't inherently sexual. It's romantic, but romantic =/= sexual.

It all seems very harmless to me. Yeah some otakus and /v/ dwellers might get off to it on an extremely sexual degree but that applies to almost anything (and I don't necessarily think it's wrong either as long as they keep talk of it to appropriate circles). Everyone else should just be able to look at it for what it is - a game mechanic meant to enhance the romance aspect of the game.

I'd understand a bit more if they were adding straight up sex and nudity (and even that I would argue is OK if Nintendo are just going to generally go all out to make Fire Emblem M-Rated with both violent and sexual themes and it's all executed well, since they DO need M-Rated stuff), but skin-shipping is, literally, considered on the same level as kissing (from a general standpoint, both have more sexual and intense variations of course). Getting offended by the core idea of skin-shipping is no more prudish than being offended by kissing.

Now I won't speak for the execution in Fates much, since I don't know much about that. If they have some overly corny dialogue then yeah that's silly. But the localisation team could have just removed THAT, and not the entire feature.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This is just shows how screwed up Nintendo is.

This doesn't help or benefit anything or anyone and this hurts.

Dragon Quest, Harvest Moon (not an RPG but still counts) and Valkyria Chronicles had a gameplay mechanics like this with the marriage and kids mechanics but the fact what IS did to add something like the skinship and the sole fact that few members of IS and Nintendo were against it and STILL put it in shows that FE is now for the deepest of weebs and otakus.

Nintendo needs to put their goddamn foot down and know their limits. I don't even care if you publish or sell the games but make sure it's with a different franchise
The sad part about all of this?

It's going to pain me a lot to say this, but in a sense, Mariotehplumber is right when he says that "Nintendo is becoming hentai". With stuff like FE Fates' face petting, XCX dressing a 13 year old in a risqué bikini and catering to the very hardcore otaku, such a statment does seem a little more true. MTP is still a huge jerk, though, and gets way more attention than he deserves.

It pains me that this only reinforces negative stereotypes about JRPGs and anime and the people who like such things.

And of course, there's the entire thing about Nintendo letting such things happen and the whole story about FE's team being divided. It does seem there's a lack of direction in the series.

It's all these factors that I won't be buying FE Fates. And I'm disappointed by that. I want the series to be more respectable than this and the sad part is that it used to be respectable.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion.

Like kissing, skin-shipping isn't inherently sexual. It's romantic, but romantic =/= sexual.

It all seems very harmless to me. Yeah some otakus and /v/ dwellers might get off to it on an extremely sexual degree but that applies to almost anything (and I don't necessarily think it's wrong either as long as they keep talk of it to appropriate circles). Everyone else should just be able to look at it for what it is - a game mechanic meant to enhance the romance aspect of the game.

I'd understand a bit more if they were adding straight up sex and nudity (and even that I would argue is OK if Nintendo are just going to generally go all out to make Fire Emblem M-Rated with both violent and sexual themes and it's all executed well, since they DO need M-Rated stuff), but skin-shipping is, literally, considered on the same level as kissing (from a general standpoint, both have more sexual and intense variations of course). Getting offended by the core idea of skin-shipping is no more prudish than being offended by kissing.

Now I won't speak for the execution in Fates much, since I don't know much about that. If they have some overly corny dialogue then yeah that's silly. But the localisation team could have just removed THAT, and not the entire feature.
For the record im with you on this one.

I think this removal is silly and the internet's reaction to Fates in general has been way overblown.

EDIT pretty sure XCX just used another meme. lol

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unpopular opinion.

It doesn't seem romantic to me

It seems creepy and fetishy

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To go on a different and happier subject:

Does anyone want to play Mario Kart 7.

I know it's an old game but please I wanna play

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'm more annoyed by FE fans who keep saying the franchise is ruined because of whatever new thing they added

Still, I dunno about Fates yet but Awakening removed a lot of features that were in the GBA ganes like the special items(Hoplon Guard op pls nerf) and interactable map tiles
And most importantly, flashy animations and battle quotes for side characters

Chrono.

The skinship lines were crossing certain lines

Stuff like "You're my brother but I still want you to touch me~" "Your touch drives me crazy" etc etc

They could've censored the lines I guess but the expressions were still p creepy, at least to me.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

It's going to pain me a lot to say this, but in a sense, Mariotehplumber is right when he says that "Nintendo is becoming hentai". With stuff like FE Fates' face petting, XCX dressing a 13 year old in a risqué bikini and catering to the very hardcore otaku, such a statment does seem a little more true.
Uuuh... That's not even true in the slightest. Putting minors in risqué clothing has been a thing in Japan for as long as I can remember. Face petting is really tame. In real ecchi/hentai games it's way worse.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina isn't obsessively touching a specific body part of another person
It's not really obsessive.

Skin-shipping literally entails any form of "skin-to-skin" contact.

FE Fates just depicts the romantic kind which isn't strange at all. It's very common and again, and is not inherently sexual.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
For the record im with you on this one.

I think this removal is silly and the internet's reaction to Fates in general has been way overblown.

EDIT pretty sure XCX just used another meme. lol
Among others

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not really obsessive.

Skin-shipping literally entails any form of "skin-to-skin" contact.

FE Fates just depicts the romantic kind which isn't strange at all. It's very common and again, and is not inherently sexual.
Skinship

"In Japan and Korea, the term "skinship" is used to describe the intimacy, or closeness, between a mother and a child. Today, the word is generally used for bonding through physical contact, such as holding hands, hugging, or parents washing their child at a bath. The earliest citation of this word appears in Nihon Kokugo Daijiten in 1971."

They are doing a little more than holding hands

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
People need to remember that 13 is legal in Japan. X with a "13 in a risque bikini" is completely 'fine' by Japan's standards.

To the rest of the world, yes, it's morally wrong and disgusting, but 13 has been legal in Japan for a loooong time.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

It's going to pain me a lot to say this, but in a sense, Mariotehplumber is right when he says that "Nintendo is becoming hentai". With stuff like FE Fates' face petting, XCX dressing a 13 year old in a risqué bikini and catering to the very hardcore otaku, such a statment does seem a little more true. MTP is still a huge jerk, though, and gets way more attention than he deserves.

It pains me that this only reinforces negative stereotypes about JRPGs and anime and the people who like such things.

And of course, there's the entire thing about Nintendo letting such things happen and the whole story about FE's team being divided. It does seem there's a lack of direction in the series.

It's all these factors that I won't be buying FE Fates. And I'm disappointed by that. I want the series to be more respectable than this and the sad part is that it used to be respectable.
I wouldn't go that far and say he was somewhat right but it's just that they don't know when to hold their damn water and know when to say stop.

I mean Hyrule Warriors has cleavage all over place but it doesn't feel really weird because it's just fun fanservice and didn't have a "rub Cia's boingy bits" section to increase strength.

What upsets me is that Awakening didn't go that far in design characters (maybe Aversa and Tharaja but they are tame compared to Camila no matter how much I have a guilty pleasure for her) and features and it's gonna get blamed for this

It's like wherever :4corrin::4corrinf: are, there is controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom