• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Man, this thread is really getting too heated over this game. I mean, it's fine to criticize the feature or criticize the removal, but it's another thing when people are being seriously hostile to each other.

I think I'll take a break from the thread. There has been way too much drama here. :/

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man, this thread is really getting too heated over this game. I mean, it's fine to criticize the feature or criticize the removal, but it's another thing when people are being seriously hostile to each other.

I think I'll take a break from the thread. There has been way too much drama here. :/
My thing was built up anger if anything

Please, nobody ever changes in anything, the piece of **** that traumatized me isn't feeling regret, my school is still a ****ing failure, etc.
Nobody ever changes? Quite the interesting assumption.

You used to act much diffferent from when I first met you and that is different from the time in the mansion. You surely have changed.

I am certain I am different in many ways from myself years ago. I have realized not all of humanity is terrible, that it is ok to not be perfect and a few other things. I know i've changed.

Saying people can't change is shortsighted. But insulting people will not allow you to work towards that change you wish to see. Calm words and asking politely will get you further. Being rude will only force people to act more hostile.

no comment on your personal life. If you wish to talk about it there are people who will in PM. Myself included.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nobody ever changes? Quite the interesting assumption.

You used to act much diffferent from when I first met you and that is different from the time in the mansion. You surely have changed.

I am certain I am different in many ways from myself years ago. I have realized not all of humanity is terrible, that it is ok to not be perfect and a few other things. I know i've changed.

Saying people can't change is shortsighted. But insulting people will not allow you to work towards that change you wish to see. Calm words and asking politely will get you further. Being rude will only force people to act more hostile.
Considering I've been as nice as I could to Frost, I don't see him changed, nor did I personally insult him. I've been holding back on insults a lot, irl with a ****ty receptionist and here

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's still in poor taste and unnecessary in a strategy game about warfare, managing an army and so on.
By what law?

I don't think it being a strategy game about warfare and managing an army means anything, since this sort of stuff DEFINITELY happens in that context.

I could also argue that having a guy turning into a dragon is out of place in a war strategy game, since that DEFINITELY DOESN'T happen in this context IRL. I wouldn't be wrong if I argued "that makes Corrin too obviously necessary to your party as he is unrealistically powerful compared to everyone else".

And Fates is far from the first thing to do this.

The Witcher is also a series about medieval fantasy and war and everything just like FE and it has nudity and sex as part of character interactions.
The Game of Thrones is a multimedia series about medieval fantasy and war and managing armies and it has nudity, sex, incest, homoerotica, etc, as part of character interactions.
Bayonetta is a series about the war and general hate issues between angels, witches, and demons, and the main character flaunts around her sexuality and gets naked for her attacks even though they could have just kept more hair on her body (like in Smash).

Now I am not ACTUALLY complaining about any of these things. But the point is you are complaining about something being contextually out of place in a FANTASY game, a genre that is VERY open to deviation from the norm, and you are being obviously selective about it.

Literally the only weird part about the skin-shipping to me is the fact that you can do it with everyone but I think that's just a case of "gameplay-story segregation for convenience sake", since it would be a pain if you had to choose only one or two characters for this in one save file and you wanted to try it out with other characters and build their support faster.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game (I don't plan to buy it myself), if it makes you personally uncomfortable and you don't want the game, that's perfectly fine and valid. But don't try to make these blanket statements about skin-shipping being inappropriate no matter what, when it's actually super common.

I will agree with you on the corny sexual dialogue being a bit iffy but I also think just changing those lines to be more clearly about JUST romantic affection and not lust, would have did the trick.

Just replying to this one line since it bothers me and seems to be the crux of your issue anyway.

Last edited:
Considering I've been as nice as I could to Frost, I don't see him changed, nor did I personally insult him. I've been holding back on insults a lot, irl with a ****ty receptionist and here
Telling him to demod himself is quite rude. And this is not the first time. I wouldn't say you have been "as nice as possible." Quite frankly I don''t think i've ever seen you (politely) ask Frost to stop being so negative. Maybe you did in PM. But otherwise, I don't really know if you've taken the steps you could have.

posting agin because I edited too late.

no comment on your personal life. If you wish to talk about it there are people who will in PM. Myself included.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Apparently the leaker said something about there being more info revealed in February.

I'd like to answer this first...if I were intending to deliberately lie to any of you or deceive you I wouldn't have done something like put my ass on the line for a second time this last year and a half with me being absolutely sure DQ7 3DS was coming West. I risked and bet everything on it. A lot of people said I was either incredibly brave, stupid or both. A lot of die hard DQ fans said unpleasant things would happen to me if I was wrong. I wanted to show through action I was sorry for what happened in 2013. I didn't just do the tired old I'm sorry I'm sorry dance of only words. I wanted to show with one of the most highly begged for localizations at the time that I do get valid info. I didn't feel good about 2013 at all and just wanted to make things right with the community period,. I'm a modest person and when it was officially announced finally I didn't go haha called it! I was and am happy gamers are getting the game they wanted.

My life has finally been quiet for the last few years thankfully. I found out about Paper Mario for Wii U around a year and a half ago, I fully intended to just let Nintendo reveal it themselves as the surprise it should have been. I wasn't ever going to be the one to run their mouth this time and leak it. So much for the surprise.

Despite Nintendo being very unhappy this has been leaked and are not amused by it, it will be officially unveiled sometime in February in the next Direct. That Direct will probably be a bit shorter in length than usual.
There. We have a deadline for this rumour now. February. If we don't see Paper Mario with Paper Daisy and partners then, completely disregard this leaker from now on.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Telling him to demod himself is quite rude. And this is not the first time. I wouldn't say you have been "as nice as possible." Quite frankly I don''t think i've ever seen you (politely) ask Frost to stop being so negative. Maybe you did in PM. But otherwise, I don't really know if you've taken the steps you could have.

posting agin because I edited too late.

It says how much I think of a person if I consider my previous interactions to be as nice as I could

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Funny how I can go watch a movie like Hateful Eight and see the whole audience in the theater laugh their butts off when the one of the characters gets their heads blown off or when they laughed at Kurt Russel character elbowing a girl in the face and messing her face up

But apparently a silly face rubbing minigame where you blow on the mic to your fav FE characters face is TOO much to handle for some people

It's context that's key.

With Hateful Eight, it's expected going in. When you watch a Tarantino film, you expect things like that. The violence is part of the package. And for the record, no one in my theater laughed at those parts, but that's anecdotal.
It's also different since both of those characters were antagonists to begin with.
As well, film is a much more established medium with a far larger audience than games.

Games still have a bit of a stigma, no matter how much some try to deny it. Gaming is still much more of a subculture. People aren't going to be as judged when they go see a movie as they would be by playing a game. Fire Emblem, at its core, is an incredibly niche strategy RPG. This isn't even the type of game that goes against the whole "stigma against games" thing, which only the top-billed AAA titles manage to go against.

Naturally, to the general public, especially in a country where things like face-petting random anime-styled people is considered incredibly weird, there will be a stigma. Those things have connotations. Unpleasant, creepy ones. Like, the neckbeard/basement dweller kinds. A harsh reality, but it's the truth. So naturally, people will be turned off by it. They don't want to be associated with that stigma.

It's especially bad for fans of Fire Emblem pre-Fates. It helps promote that sort of stigma in a game series that had managed to avoid it for the most part. It's incredibly divisive even in the series' own fanbase. And it's not even like a pre-Awakening/post-Awakening thing either...from what I've seen, even most of the Awakening fans are put off by the feature, myself included.

I'll still be getting Fates, as I love Fire Emblem. But at the same time, the whole petting thing was always something that made me cringe. How could I take that game traveling while people on a bus can see it? What if they see it and think, "Oh, that's the game with the creepy weeb **** in it" out of earshot? To a lot of people, many people, that matters. It doesn't matter if it's optional, it exists. That's all most people need. This game, for me, would have been a behind-closed-doors guilty-pleasure no-one-can-know type of game for me. The social stigma associated with something like face-petting is too large for me to even consider otherwise. It's embarrassing.

And that's when you realize a feature may not be so great, to say the least. If a good portion of the fanbase is embarrassed to play the game due to the feature being present, it shouldn't be in the game. People can call it an unhealthy self-confidence issue all they like, but I see it more as a natural reaction to this kind of thing going back to basic evolutionary psychology (you get embarrassed about this kind of thing due to the stigma, which goes against the psychological need to fit in and be accepted). That's why, if the rumors are true and it's removed from the localized version, it'll be a huge relief. I'd no longer feel embarrassed to say I enjoy a Fire Emblem game. And honestly, that's a win for me, and likely a lot of other people.

So yeah, that got kinda ranty, and it's not directed at you in particular, but I felt as though I should say my piece.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
By what law?

I don't think it being a strategy game about warfare and managing an army means anything, since this sort of stuff DEFINITELY happens in that context.

I could also argue that having a guy turning into a dragon is out of place in a war strategy game, since that DEFINITELY DOESN'T happen in this context IRL. I wouldn't be wrong if I argued "that makes Corrin too obviously necessary to your party as he is unrealistically powerful compared to everyone else".

And Fates is far from the first thing to do this.

The Witcher is also a series about medieval fantasy and war and everything just like FE and it has nudity and sex as part of character interactions.
The Game of Thrones is a multimedia series about medieval fantasy and war and managing armies and it has nudity, sex, incest, homoerotica, etc, as part of character interactions.
Bayonetta is a series about the war and general hate issues between angels, witches, and demons, and the main character flaunts around her sexuality and gets naked for her attacks even though they could have just kept more hair on her body (like in Smash).

Now I am not ACTUALLY complaining about any of these things. But the point is you are complaining about something being contextually out of place in a FANTASY game, a genre that is VERY open to deviation from the norm.

Literally the only weird part about the skin-shipping to me is the fact that you can do it with everyone but I think that's just a case of "gameplay-story segregation for convenience sake", since it would be a pain if you had to choose only one or two characters for this in one save file and you wanted to try it out with other characters and build their support faster.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy the game (I don't plan to buy it myself), if it makes you personally uncomfortable and you don't want the game, that's perfectly fine and valid. But don't try to make these blanket statements about skin-shipping being inappropriate no matter what.

Just replying to this one line since it bothers me and seems to be the crux of your issue anyway.
I also don't watch game of thrones and haven't played the witcher either

But Fates is kind of pandering to the voyeur crowd

Even if it's not sex, watching people engaging in personal intimacy is not something I especially enjoy doing

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I feel some reasoning people have for not wanting to get Fates is very silly, but that is only my perspective as everyone looks at things in different ways with different standards. No one is wrong here, so let's try not to tell them they are guys.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
>Direct Leak

Confirmed fake already, pack it up boys.
It is NOT a Direct leak.

And this leaker claims to have found out about the game a year and a half ago...soon after we saw something about Paper Mario Wii U in the resume.

He's even willing to share screenshots.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I also don't watch game of thrones and haven't played the witcher either

But Fates is kind of pandering to the voyeur crowd

Even if it's not sex, watching people engaging in personal intimacy is not something I especially enjoy doing
And that's fine, that just means the game is maybe not for you and you don't enjoy every aspect of the developer's vision.

It's no reason to ask for it removed, though. If you want a good strategy game, there are plenty of others on the market that offer that without any skin-shipping or anything.

I do think making it an option (like having an alternative method that is just as effective at building support), would have been a good idea though.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Apparently I can't have an opinion and not get a game because it doesn't appeal to me.

Last I checked, I didn't insult anyone. If anyone likes and wants to face rub their favorite fictional characters and are happy with it, as long as they don't harm anyone else, I'm fine with their decisions.

Do I find it in poor taste? Yes, but if other people like it, more power to them. I'm not going to stop people from getting the game, I just feel that the FE series has gone into a direction that I don't find appealing. If people like and enjoy Fates, more power to them and may they enjoy it in a way they see fit. It's a game. It's entertainment. People can choose to buy a game. I can choose to not do so.

And because it seems my presence here is unwanted, I guess I'll be taking some time off here.

Shroob

Sup?
It is NOT a Direct leak.

And this leaker claims to have found out about the game a year and a half ago...soon after we saw something about Paper Mario Wii U in the resume.

Then, by all means, let's see the screenshots. We've been debunking leaks for years now, a few screenshots shouldn't take too much effort to rip apart.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It is NOT a Direct leak.

If I had a nickel for ever "Leak" that said they would provide screenshots in the future...

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Apparently the leaker said something about there being more info revealed in February.

There. We have a deadline for this rumour now. February. If we don't see Paper Mario with Paper Daisy and partners then, completely disregard this leaker from now on.
>Direct Leak

Confirmed fake already, pack it up boys.
Beat me to it. The leak was already fake, but the minute you mention a direct leak your lose all credibility.

Plus a direct in February is speculated a lot by everyone as there is usually a direct expected within the start of the new year.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So gamexplain, posted a translated version of the Detective chu trailer:
I'm honestly surprised they went through with this. I remember them talking about this game a few years back and how during play tests that children were so scared of the uncanny valley Pikachu that they literally cried out of fear. Now that the idea looks more fleshed out, it actually doesn't look too bad. Weird but not full blown cringe worthy like the development documents looked.

Regarding Fire Emblem, I'm fine with the petting game being gone because god knows we don't need any more sexually awkward teens and young adults in the world who are oblivious to what constitutes as behavior that will contribute to them dying alone...

Burruni

Smash Hero
It is NOT a Direct leak.

It is a direct leak because he is assuring that content that he's had information of FOR over a year and a half will be presented properly and announced in the February direct.

And I doubt the person who is showing being upset for "putting his ass on the line" fr saying this is a thing would make THAT step without fully committing to posting everything.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Guys.
Like... Jesus Christ.
We're are throwing our own feces over some video game.
I don't care if a game sucks, or you don't like someone. Life is too short to yell and hurl insults.

Why can't we all get along?

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I don't like the Fire Emblem Fates Amie feature. Not because its "sexual" or "too much to handle". I just find the whole feature uninteresting from a gameplay standpoint.

From what I can understand, you do this to get a stronger bond between units, allowing for higher ranks and I'm assuming having kids for more units. Sounds fine. But what do you do this whole time?

Rubbing the touchscreen for about a minute. That's it.

At least with Pokemon amie you had food and minigames to play. This....this doesn't have anything else but their reaction to the petting. At least having conversations would have been nice. If they want to do a bit of " dating sim" then have it to where you can choose what to say to your units and possibly take them out to new areas to raise their relationship status. You don't even need to show it all, just show a small conversation they had during the date.

I just find it weird how people are complaining over the meaning behind it all and not actually what you're doing the whole time during this. And if you have to do this with multiple characters multiple times, then that's even worse and it just becomes boring. And it's not like Pokemon amie where this was completely optional. THIS actually allows for stronger units, so if you want that, then you have to sit through all of this.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Beat me to it. The leak was already fake, but the minute you mention a direct leak your lose all credibility.

Plus a direct in February is speculated a lot by everyone as there is usually a direct expected within the start of the new year.
That, and Corrin and Bayo come out next month. I have a hard time seeing how they'd announce their release date outside of anything short of a Direct.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Apparently I can't have an opinion and not get a game because it doesn't appeal to me.
That's not even what I ****ing said. You SPECIFICALLY stated that the facepetting was the main reason you call it otaku pandering and hate it the most DESPITE how it's getting cut from YOUR version. It's like refusing to buy apple pie because you hate cherry pie

D

Deleted member

It says how much I think of a person if I consider my previous interactions to be as nice as I could
Then that's your own ****ing problem.
Because frankly, I haven't seen Frostwraith do anything that would warrant such *****iness.

Or should I start not holding back any time I see something you say that irritates me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Guys.
Like... Jesus Christ.
We're are throwing our own feces over some video game.
I don't care if a game sucks, or you don't like someone. Life is too short to yell and hurl insults.

Why can't we all get along?
NO

BECAUSE THIS IS THE INTERNET DAMMIT

AND TO GET OUR POINT ACROSS

WE YELL AND HURL INSULTS LIKE OUR OWN FECES

IN ALL CAPS

LIKE THIS

BOTTOM TEXT

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know the topic has gone south when my heart skips a beat over the fact this thread is about to get Daisy-railed just because it might mean that the venomous whining might stop. . .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's okay to not wanting to buy a game because of whatever reason
It's your money after all, you do whatever you want with it
But claiming the franchise's ruined because of it and not "not wanting to buy" but "refusing to buy" because you were somehow offended by it sounds a bit childish

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then that's your own ****ing problem.
Because frankly, I haven't seen Frostwraith do anything that would warrant such bitchiness.

Or should I start not holding back any time I see something you say that irritates me?
I hate his general attitude as our personalities clash.

If you have something to say to me, feel free to say it

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't like the Fire Emblem Fates Amie feature. Not because its "sexual" or "too much to handle". I just find the whole feature uninteresting from a gameplay standpoint.

From what I can understand, you do this to get a stronger bond between units, allowing for higher ranks and I'm assuming having kids for more units. Sounds fine. But what do you do this whole time?

Rubbing the touchscreen for about a minute. That's it.

At least with Pokemon amie you had food and minigames to play. This....this doesn't have anything else but their reaction to the petting. At least having conversations would have been nice. If they want to do a bit of " dating sim" then have it to where you can choose what to say to your units and possibly take them out to new areas to raise their relationship status. You don't even need to show it all, just show a small conversation they had during the date.

I just find it weird how people are complaining over the meaning behind it all and not actually what you're doing the whole time during this. And if you have to do this with multiple characters multiple times, then that's even worse and it just becomes boring. And it's not like Pokemon amie where this was completely optional. THIS actually allows for stronger units, so if you want that, then you have to sit through all of this.
To be fair, the Pokémon-amie was needed for some evolutions, so it wasn't exactly "optional" in some cases. Same with the Dream Eaters in DDD.

But it's a fair point regardless. Animals vs Humans after all.

Last I checked, I didn't insult anyone. If anyone likes and wants to face rub their favorite fictional characters and are happy with it, as long as they don't harm anyone else, I'm fine with their decisions.

Do I find it in poor taste? Yes, but if other people like it, more power to them. I'm not going to stop people from getting the game, I just feel that the FE series has gone into a direction that I don't find appealing. If people like and enjoy Fates, more power to them and may they enjoy it in a way they see fit. It's a game. It's entertainment. People can choose to buy a game. I can choose to not do so.

And because it seems my presence here is unwanted, I guess I'll be taking some time off here.

Can we all please take these as a sign to step back and breathe for a minute, everyone? Please?

Regardless, to those stepping out, sorry things turned out this way.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm honestly surprised they went through with this. I remember them talking about this game a few years back and how during play tests that children were so scared of the uncanny valley Pikachu that they literally cried out of fear. Now that the idea looks more fleshed out, it actually doesn't look too bad. Weird but not full blown cringe worthy like the development documents looked.

Regarding Fire Emblem, I'm fine with the petting game being gone because god knows we don't need any more sexually awkward teens and young adults in the world who are oblivious to what constitutes as behavior that will contribute to them dying alone...
Yeah, they probably took the feedback to heart and secretly worked to polish and redesign it, to make a more fleshed out and friendly original spinoff that would appeal to everyone. Seems to have worked to as it got trendy and well received by the trailer pretty fast!

D

Deleted member

Let's be honest. How long do you think until you would get banned? :p
About 2 minutes.

I legitimately have to put in an effort to restrain myself from outright telling someone off in the worst possible manner if they anger me, but some things do end up slipping through the cracks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
As much as I hate to say it, this sums up the thread pretty much right now.

Why don't we all just take a few steps back and relax for a few moments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom