• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Survivor: Gabon - featuring Melee champion Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
THE FOLLOWING POST IS NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS RACISM:

Did anyone realize that Ken, GC and Crystal are the only 3 minorities on the show, and also happen to be the strongest current Alliance?

LLDL

Smash Hero
remember guys, he doesn't play brawl, he plays melee,
are you seeing the trend now, brawl fans?

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
hmm, well that depends on your definition of minorities... I am a white Caucasian but I dont make a lot of money, Ken is no minority... especially in this community... use better terminology to avoid the misconception of racism... If you had said ethnic, or foreign, at least it would have been more respectful. And even so... If he is such a minority why is he still on? I think it was a poor choice of words and since he is so well respected, I would advise taking care to think about what is being said before it is put onto these discussions....

To him, you may as well be considered a minority in the world of smash, but according to numerous people, he was a respectful gentleman, so return the same.

gamer8

Smash Lord
hmm, well that depends on your definition of minorities... I am a white Caucasian but I dont make a lot of money, Ken is no minority... especially in this community... use better terminology to avoid the misconception of racism... If you had said ethnic, or foreign, at least it would have been more respectful. And even so... If he is such a minority why is he still on? I think it was a poor choice of words and since he is so well respected, I would advise taking care to think about what is being said before it is put onto these discussions....

To him, you may as well be considered a minority in the world of smash, but according to numerous people, he was a respectful gentleman, so return the same.
TL;DR

10chars

TedBoosley

Smash Ace

"Minority - Noun - 2. a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action. "

According to the 2000 U.S. Census, 12.1% of the population of the United States is African American, and 3.6% is Asian. 69.1% is Caucasian.

Correct usage of a non-discriminatory word shouldn't be considered racist.

Smash Master
Fix'd.
zzzz

SOMEBODY CALL THE WAAAAMBULANCE.
Why the **** are you siding with Manacloud? Did you fall off the short bus or something?

He hurt a lot of people for no reason, and you're a **** for encouraging his actions.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
So you are telling me that if I call my Filipena Girlfriend a minority, she has no reason to be offended... dont be stupid... technically a "f-ag" is a bundle of sticks, or a cigarette... and technically "B-itch" is a female canine (dog)... so you are telling me that because you found a random definition (out of many possible definitions) that you can predict the exact reactions of people with ethnicity who are labeled as "minorities"... please... if you call someone that in Worcester or Lowell, MA... you'll get shot. You can play with any word to make it fit your point, but in the end that makes you look like a U.S. politician...

kr3wman

Smash Master
So you are telling me that if I call my Filipena Girlfriend a minority, she has no reason to be offended... dont be stupid... technically a "f-ag" is a bundle of sticks, or a cigarette... and technically "B-itch" is a female canine (dog)... so you are telling me that because you found a random definition (out of many possible definitions) that you can predict the exact reactions of people with ethnicity who are labeled as "minorities"... please... if you call someone that in Worcester or Lowell, MA... you'll get shot. You can play with any word to make it fit your point, but in the end that makes you look like a U.S. politician...
I also think Ken's social game is good enough so that he makes it 'till the merge.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
"1. the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.
2. a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action.
3. a group differing, esp. in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population: legislation aimed at providing equal rights for minorities.
4. a member of such a group.
5. the state or period of being under the legal age of full responsibility. "

Well, that's all of your definitions, and I fail to see how any of them (other than number 5, which doesn't fit) are offensive. Your Filipino girlfriend is by definition an ethnic minority in the United States of America because she belongs to a group that is of a smaller percentage than another group. For example; I, as a Caucasian Male, was an Ethnic minority at my High School in Orlando because I was part of a smaller group, when a larger group was present in the same demographic (African Americans). I am also a minority in the competetive gaming community, because I play Super Smash Brothers instead of Counterstrike or Starcraft. In terms of MMOs, I'm in the majority (get it, that's the 'opposite' of minority), because I play World of Warcraft.

Your semantics-based argument is totally negated by the fact that it's obvious which definition and connotation I'm using with the word 'minority.'

alex3

Smash Apprentice
Why the **** are you siding with Manacloud? Did you fall off the short bus or something?

He hurt a lot of people for no reason, and you're a **** for encouraging his actions.
Quit being a douche and acting like a victim of a horrible accident. No one really cares about your feelings, especially over the internet.

Smash Master
You are being a douche, not me. Manacloud is a douche, not me. Duh. I've done nothing wrong to either of you and you blast me with crap. I'm acting "butthurt" because this is literally the only show I watch. I wasn't aware that having all of your television entertainment taken away wasn't something to complain about. You try it. Not fun.

I'm not acting like the victim of some horrible accident. I'm acting like I was wronged for no reason. This is true and blatantly obvious. Now stop flaming the victim. Go flame manacloud.

AfricanZulu

Smash Cadet
im sure this has been posted before, but i dont have the time to check the log, but read this:

from the cbs website:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/bio/ken_17/bio.php?season=17

it says the following:

"[Ken] loves the fact that he will be considered an underdog because everyone will underestimate his prowess at playing mind games... ...Ken will trick his fellow players into seeing him as a non-threat, only to smash them if they get in his way."

One comment, ROFL!

Rat

Smash Lord
I don't think Ken will win. Heck I don't even think it's possible at this point. I think Marcus is the mostly likely to win with Corinne or Bob being a sort of Dark Horse.

Why Ken won't win:
Ken's alliance will be screwed at the merge regardless of pre-merge immunity challenges.

-Assume immunity will be go 50-50 until the merge.
New tribe make-up:
OldFang: Ken, Crystal, Kelly, GC, and Matty
OldKota: Marcus, Charlie, Corrinne, Bob, and Randy.

A game of chicken happens:
Matty is the most likely to flip to old Kota, considering his pre-swap alliance.
OldKota less likely to back down due to the strength of Marcus' leadership and his alliance with Charlie/Corrine.

-Assume Fang wins all of immunity challenges.
OldFang: Ken, Crystal, Kelly, GC, Matty, Ace, and Sugar
OldKota: Marcus, Charlie, and Corrinne

Ace and Sugar swap back to OldKota (he hates Kelly) and another game of Chicken happens. But OldKota now has the hidden immunity idol. Again OldKota wins.

-Assume Kota wins all immunity challenges:
OldFang: Ken, Crystal, and GC
OldKota: Marcus, Charlie, Corrinne, Bob, Randy, Suze, and Dan.

Ken is flat out screwed. Marcus wins again.

The other two cases result in similar situations (ken gets screwed).

Ken pretty much has it set till the merge, but after that he needs to pull a coup on Marcus. Given what Manacloud has said, I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

That being said:
I hope Sugar stays around for awhile and that Randy makes a ruckus over at nuKota.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
From being a fan of the show and from what I've seen so far, he'd better up his game in the challenges if he wants to go anywhere. Sure you can have the smarts to outwit your opponents, but if you give a solid effort in the challenges your team won't see you as weak.

Nothing against Ken, but I don't think he has the greatest chance of winning. Now, I like him, but he's not playing his game all that well at this point. While he's somewhat made an alliance with Crystal and DC, I think they'd throw him under the bus if they had the chance. At the last challenge he was very non-competitive. There was just very little effort. I acknowledge intelligence very much, but that can't be the only thing you rely on in this game.

It certainly is cool to see a smash survivor, though. XD

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
i wont ever watch survivor, but its awesome that ken is in it. I had heard he was getting out of the game scene and trying to be more athletic.. kinda funny how he wound up on survivor... guess he got what he wanted huh?... power to him... hope he wins!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Its sad to see Jackie go. She was really hot! But it's a good thing they did vote her off, otherwise Ken, GC, and Crystal would be in for alot of trouble in future episodes.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LOL @ ken stating in episode 4 that girls are hot

what a guy

if i was him i'd tap sugar before ace does

L2theZ

Smash Cadet
You are being a douche, not me. Manacloud is a douche, not me. Duh. I've done nothing wrong to either of you and you blast me with crap. I'm acting "butthurt" because this is literally the only show I watch. I wasn't aware that having all of your television entertainment taken away wasn't something to complain about. You try it. Not fun.

I'm not acting like the victim of some horrible accident. I'm acting like I was wronged for no reason. This is true and blatantly obvious. Now stop flaming the victim. Go flame manacloud.
Are you slow or something? manacloud most likely doesn't know who the winner will be (that would involve Ken finding out who everyone voted for, which seems to me would be pretty ****ing hard to do).

So stop BAWWWWWWWWWWWWing you silly bk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom