• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Surviving Jungle Japes

NNID
Budget_Player
I die 99% of the time that I fall in to the water on Jungle Japes (well, 99% of the time when I'm on the right side of the stage). It drives me insane. I know that the CPUs are able to survive a lot longer with the same chars-how do I survive?

I play (and have trouble living with) MK, Wario, Snake, Bowser, DK, Marth, and G&W. >.<

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
If you die ninety-nine percent of the time when you fall in the water, the answer should be clear: don't fall in the water. :ohwell:

You said you play MK, so use MK. Aerials.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
The first jump to get out of the water you're supposed to jump with the current. Then you use your double jump to jump back. And your upb/sideb appropriately etc.

NNID
Budget_Player
The first jump to get out of the water you're supposed to jump with the current. Then you use your double jump to jump back. And your upb/sideb appropriately etc.
Okay, once with the current, once against. That will make me live longer?

If you die ninety-nine percent of the time when you fall in the water, the answer should be clear: don't fall in the water. :ohwell:

You said you play MK, so use MK. Aerials.
Helpful... Yeah, aerials. What about them?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's easy with DK. Up-B stops all of his momentum, so just up-B as soon as you jump out of the water.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The best abstract survival method is to hold right as you enter the water and until you do your first jump (ASAP!), double jump at the apex of that jump, and then triple jump at the obviously appropriate time to make it back.

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
You don't survive Jungle Japes. It survives you.
Seriously though, just avoid at all costs.

Sharpevil

Smash Rookie
Jungle japes is actually a rather good wario stage. If you fall in with him, jump out, double jump, bike, jump off bike, up+b. If you can't survive after that, I'd suggest no longer playing with wario.

Moozle

Smash Champion
All you have to do to get out of the water is jump as fast as you can. I guess it's just practice at the point you're at. Avoiding the water obviously doesn't work out all of the time, so just get better at getting out.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
You double jump immedeatly.
Jump once, wait till your momentum slows down, double jump, up-B.
GG
You're Right...

Double Jump immediately and Up-B is the Best Way to escape from Water.

I think Some people need to pay more attention when play in Jungle Japes...

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Everytime I play Ike on this stage, it's always hard for me to get out of the water. When I first played Ike against my friend, he just knocked me on the water all three times and died because I couldn't use Ike right. ;_; ♥

♣ Also, only so many characters are good on Jungle Japes and the one's mention in the OP most of the characters do bad on this stage. O_o ♥

Jupz

Smash Master
today something really wierd happened. i got double spiked by a claptrap within a second; like one spiked me on 0% and i didn't die then a split second later another one spiked me and killed me :o it was possibly the same one.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
What AA said.

Hold right.
Jump IMMEDIATELY as you surface.
Wait until the apex of your jump.
Jump again.
Use up+B at the apex of that jump.

Every character can recover from JJ's waters, even Popo without Nana and Olimar with no Pikmin, as long as you aren't hit to the left of the left most platform. If you're hit to the left of that, no character can recover.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
have trouble living with MK, Wario, Snake, Bowser, DK, Marth, and G&W.
You shouldn't be having trouble recovering with any of these characters, save maybe bowser because he's so heavy, or marth because of his almost purely vertical recovery. MK has a hundred million jumps to help you get out of the water, plus his up-b can sweetspot a ledge at any point during the animation, so if you use it even under the stage you'll probably still survive anyway. Wario has his bike which will send you back upstream while letting you jump off it with enormous vertical lift, snake's third jump lasts forever and you can negotiate which direction it goes during the jump. DK's third jump stops all his aerial momentum and lasts a long time with excellent horizontal recovery value which can save you from even the furthest left edge of the stage. G&W's third jump is amazing in so many ways on this level (It's one of his best due to the high ceiling and short sides). If used ANYWHERE besides below the actual platforms of the stage you will ALWAYS live because of the parachute you get from it.

The best advice I can give you (this is my third favorite level and I have no problems recovering on it unless I'm at the extreme left edge in the water) is to time your recovery so that you shoot up through that little space between the left platform and the center area of the stage. The worst thing you can do is try to recover while you're under any of the stage's platforms since you can't go through them.

I personally believe the only times you should die to this level are when you fall in the river too far to the left, or you get hit by a klaptrap. You just have to be patient and not have the mindset that every time you fall in the water you're going to die. Just wait and time your jumps so that you come out of the water somewhere you can still hit a ledge

today something really wierd happened. i got double spiked by a claptrap within a second; like one spiked me on 0% and i didn't die then a split second later another one spiked me and killed me :o it was possibly the same one.
It was the same one. A klaptrap cycles through the stage every 10 seconds (though there's a slight deviation after about 5 minutes, nothing too major). It will appear between the right and center platforms every time the clock reads x:x7 and between the left and center platforms every time it reads x:x5. What probably happened was you got hit by the first one, didn't die and came up to the left because of the current, and it hit you again as it was jumping out of the water again. The best way to avoid this happening is to DI the klaptrap hits right and up. This'll help you survive at lower percents and make sure you don't get hit by the second one (if it applies).

Hope my advice helps.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
Well sometimes you just can't help it, and you have to be prepared for everything a stage can throw at you. Saying 'don't fall in the water' is the same as saying 'don't get grabbed' against IC's or 'don't get hit' in general. It's almost an inevitability in any of the circumstances, the best you can do is learn how to deal with it, and combine that knowledge with the mindset that you have to make a conscious effort to keep yourself out of the water.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Japes *****.

Try not to fall in the water and stay away from the edges a bit more. The Klap trap comes on a time limit but it will also come if someone is just above the water. The only safe time to go to the edge is right after the klap trap passes through.

UberMario

Smash Master
Just use your side b/up b as soon as you jump out of the water to cancel the momentum.

I really like the current actually, you can drop down from the right side and resurface at the left ledge of the middle platform to suprise your opponent.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
If they see you fall into the water on the right side it won't be surprising when you come back up further downstream. What WILL catch them by surprise is if you manage to send them to the kalptraps by knowing which times they appear. That will make everyone go 'wut' when it happens and you plan it. Also, it's almost as satisfying as landing a falcon/warlock punch or a 9 hammer. LOL.

UberMario

Smash Master
If they see you fall into the water on the right side it won't be surprising when you come back up further downstream. What WILL catch them by surprise is if you manage to send them to the kalptraps by knowing which times they appear. That will make everyone go 'wut' when it happens and you plan it. Also, it's almost as satisfying as landing a falcon/warlock punch or a 9 hammer. LOL.
Well, it'll catch them off guard more than running to the left, especially if you fast fall into the river.

BTW, yeah, gimping them into a klaptrap is awesome.

Top Bottom