• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up to be a supporter. I got hooked on battle revolution when it first came to the states, and a used copy of battle arena had recently just appeared at my local gamestop and I snatched it up quick. Enjoying the hell out of it, So I'll sign your petition
:yeahboi:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just wish you didnt call it news....
but anywho, I will definitely sign.

ive actually never played a custom robo game

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Sign me up to be a supporter. I got hooked on battle revolution when it first came to the states, and a used copy of battle arena had recently just appeared at my local gamestop and I snatched it up quick. Enjoying the hell out of it, So I'll sign your petition
:yeahboi:
I just wish you didnt call it news....
but anywho, I will definitely sign.

ive actually never played a custom robo game
Thank you guys, it means the world!
And Duke, it's really fun when you're in control of the character. I'd love to see you play it.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I like it. It's a step in a positive direction.
As most of you fans know their was that Blog Post by the creator in early 2013 where he said he was open to the idea of another Custom Robo game and realised there were fans of it out there. So this can show him and might actually work.
The company behind Custom Robo, Noise, is actually still working on games. Just smaller and Japanese only titles. This might work if we put enough people behind it.
Try and share it around guys. :)

FasdfGfaha

Smash Cadet
Signed. Let's hope Nintendo actually listens to the demand that's out there. I know plenty of people who aren't very vocal about their love for the series, but love it nonetheless.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You sound disappointed, sorry it wasn't what you were expecting. :sadeyes: But like I said, there is more to come.
P.S. Don't kill me. :teeth: It's not over yet. But please sign! Don't be upset. We have a chance here.
http://www.change.org/petitions/operation-robo-rebirth-petition-for-a-new-custom-robo
Well, I guess it is a pretty neat idea, but still, Brogief has a point, you could have just told us you had a petition for the series and all. Oh well, still a good idea all the same, I suppose. Either way, though I still support Ray!

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I like it. It's a step in a positive direction.
As most of you fans know their was that Blog Post by the creator in early 2013 where he said he was open to the idea of another Custom Robo game and realised there were fans of it out there. So this can show him and might actually work.
The company behind Custom Robo, Noise, is actually still working on games. Just smaller and Japanese only titles. This might work if we put enough people behind it.
Try and share it around guys. :)
Signed. Let's hope Nintendo actually listens to the demand that's out there. I know plenty of people who aren't very vocal about their love for the series, but love it nonetheless.
Well, I guess it is a pretty neat idea, but still, Brogief has a point, you could have just told us you had a petition for the series and all. Oh well, still a good idea all the same, I suppose. Either way, though I still support Ray!
It is true, what ToastyPyre said. Petitions like this have worked in the past (for better or for worse) and will definitely work here. If this gets enough attention, Ray could be a lot more likely for Sm4sh, even as DLC.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I hate to sound like "that guy" right now, but I checked the OP, and.....well, does anyone else feel like it seems quite a bit.....incomplete? It just looks so.......empty. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just saying from my own opinion right now, that's all.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I hate to sound like "that guy" right now, but I checked the OP, and.....well, does anyone else feel like it seems quite a bit.....incomplete? It just looks so.......empty. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just saying from my own opinion right now, that's all.
I think it needs a signature icons section. I had to find mine from someone else's signature.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I also hate to be "that guy", but if OP wants to add some stuff, I posted a Custom Robo Icon a little while back and some art. I also think adding the petition link to OP would be cool.
Also the picture of X-Ray is actually an in-game picture of Ray Mk II from CRA.
This is X-Ray
upload_2014-6-25_10-33-54.png

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Can I handle it? I'll ask the MOD's, but I already have a design for it. :p

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I also hate to be "that guy", but if OP wants to add some stuff, I posted a Custom Robo Icon a little while back and some art. I also think adding the petition link to OP would be cool.
Also the picture of X-Ray is actually an in-game picture of Ray Mk II from CRA.
This is X-Ray
View attachment 16977
Thanks a lot, ToasyPyre! I was actually aware that the image I used was of Ray MK II in CRA, I just couldn't find a good image of the REAL X-Ray.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
So if you had to pick a home stage for Ray, which holloseum would it be? My personal picks from custom robo (Gamecube) are nature park, Battle-coggear station, and castle keep.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Honestly that Super Mario Golden Coins world doesn't make things look good for Ray, if his Final Smash is Soulboost anyway.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Honestly that Super Mario Golden Coins world doesn't make things look good for Ray, if his Final Smash is Soulboost anyway.
I'd imagine his final smash being illegal parts, ray warrior/legend upgrade, or rebirth (a period pf invincibility)

Hong

The Strongest
So I'm going to tag @ Gallowglass Gallowglass for now. He hasn't been on the forums since this morning, but he should see it in short time and all he has to do is agree to forfeiting ownership of the thread.

If there are no objections, I think @ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan would be a prime candidate. All around nice guy, very passionate about the series. :)

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I'd imagine his final smash being illegal parts, ray warrior/legend upgrade, or rebirth (a period pf invincibility)
A mix between Soulboost and illegal parts could be cool.

My thought for Ray FS is, because Custom Robo is about various Robo's, it could be a Robo Canon you can aim around and it fires Robo Cubes that turn into little fighters that fly off, hurting other players with both the cubes and the fighters.
Kind of like Pits Brawl smash, but starting with the Robo Canon dropping down and firing Cubes out.

The Rebirth could be a unique mechanic instead of a FS.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sounds good! I'll still give him credit as the original OP.
Also, wanted to announce that my video is 50% complete.
And we have a few special sites that are going to support the petition.
Hey, S1LV3RH00D, I'm playing SSBM right now, and I just finished doing a quick run of Classic Mode with the Ice Climbers, my point is that I just saw that Master Rapier and Hong just gave you ownership of the thread, so I just want to say to you, my good friend, in the words of Melee's announcer: "CONGRATULATIONS!":chuckle:

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if Custom Robo is popular enough. However, if he becomes playable, it's quite possible that he'd become a very strong contender to be one of my mains. He was an Assist Trophy in Brawl afterall, so he can't be that unpopular. I support his inclusion, even if I find it unlikely. :bubblebobble:

I would like to play more of the Custom Robo series at one point. I've only played one, the gameplay was awesome, and while I don't remember the dialogue it was alright. However, it was the first game where you could had a chance to say "no" to saving the world. So it gets some major brownie points from me for that. This clip makes me laugh so hard. :bubblebobble:
http://youtu.be/TcSRgfpP9ko?t=1m15s
I actually got a game over from doing this the first time I went through. I think they structured the dialogue so it makes the player want to attempt this too, which if that is the case, even more brownie points.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Sure, you can take control. Good luck!

Hahaha thank you. :)
In the words of Alfonzo:
Leave it to me!

Done. @ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan , it's all yours. :)
I appreciate your efforts, thanks for getting all of this together!

Hey, S1LV3RH00D, I'm playing SSBM right now, and I just finished doing a quick run of Classic Mode with the Ice Climbers, my point is that I just saw that Master Rapier and Hong just gave you ownership of the thread, so I just want to say to you, my good friend, in the words of Melee's announcer: "CONGRATULATIONS!":chuckle:
It's an honor, thank you!

I hope to be able to deliver a lot of great stuff to you guys in the future. I will be updating the OP soon with a lot of stuff. I'm a graphics designer, so you can trust me when I say i'll have it looking in tip top shape. :D

This clip makes me laugh so hard. :bubblebobble:
This is one of my favorite CR vids, everyone should check it out!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The petition says five games, and lists three :X

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
The current customization option in Smash works really well for Ray. So basically every player has 3 variations of their special. So that would mean Ray can have 3 guns, 3 bombs, 3 pods, and three dash attacks. He could probably take the dash attacks from other robos. You can essentially customize ray like you do in Custom Robo.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I've only played one, the gameplay was awesome, and while I don't remember the dialogue it was alright. However, it was the first game where you could had a chance to say "no" to saving the world. So it gets some major brownie points from me for that. This clip makes me laugh so hard. :bubblebobble:
I actually got a game over from doing this the first time I went through. I think they structured the dialogue so it makes the player want to attempt this too, which if that is the case, even more brownie points.
"Don't you care about ME at all?" *slight pause* "I'm not going" I laughed so hard at that part. I was always a pansy whenever I played Custom robo, and always chose to go right away.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
The current customization option in Smash works really well for Ray. So basically every player has 3 variations of their special. So that would mean Ray can have 3 guns, 3 bombs, 3 pods, and three dash attacks. He could probably take the dash attacks from other robos. You can essentially customize ray like you do in Custom Robo.
THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! :chuckle: NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

The petition says five games, and lists three :X
I think @ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan was just labeling significant versions of the game.
But you're right, it does read a bit odd.
Maybe add a list of the games like Wikipedia has, with the titles for different Regions?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custom_Robo
Its not really necessary but it might be useful?
I am aware, like Toasty said, I just wanted to show off the significant ones. I am keeping it basic for those who don't know about the game, just so the amount of information doesn't scare them. But thank you for noticing. :) I am planning to cover ALL titles from the series in the video. And trust me when I say, this video is the bomb. It's going to be around 15 minutes and has plenty of history, music, trivia, footage, and goodies for you to drool over. ;) It's going to be some high quality stuff that the operation and series deserves. :smirk:

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I support Ray 01. Loved and played an unhealthy amount of Custom Robo on the Gamecube.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
If the custom robo series were to receive a new iteration, how would you feel about it being free-to-play? I feel like it could easily the Steel Diver route. Give you a couple of robo types and the first chunk of story free, then make you pay for the rest.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You should be

It's actually a very rare commodity. Only like one or two character threads have it. Consider this thread blessed.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Just my thoughts on what the customizable options should be:

B: Guns: One short range, one mid range, and one long range. They aim like in the game.
  • Mega Burst Gun: Long lasting rounds for trapping.
  • Gatling Gun: High fire rate for screen control.
  • Dragon Gun: Good homing for pressure.
Side B: Bombs: can move the cursor up, down, left, and right. He can hurt himself.
  • Standard Bomb: medium speed, average arc, medium damage.
  • Submarine Bomb: slow, no arc, big damage.
  • Tomahawk Bomb: quick, high arc, comparatively less damage.
Down B: Pods: used for trapping and screen control and in the rare case recovery, Samus and Link style. He can hurt himself with them.
  • Spider Pod: homes in on nearby opponents on ground only. Three charges.
  • Satellite Pod: homes in on nearby opponents in the air only. Three charges.
  • Acrobat Pod: Simply for easy recovery in exchange for no screen control. One charge.
Up B: Air Dashes/Legs: depending on the leg you choose, your air dash Up B will be different. Gets 2 air dashes under normal circumstances.
  • Long Thrust: Longer air dashes.
  • Quick Thrust: Quicker air dashes.
  • Plus One Legs: gets an extra, normal air dash.
As for why Charges aren't a special, I'd make the normal Ray charge a forward smash, an anti air charge the up smash, and an in-place charge for down smash. They'd maybe have invincibility frames like in the games, but that might be OP.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just my thoughts on what the customizable options should be:

B: Guns: One short range, one mid range, and one long range. They aim like in the game.
  • Mega Burst Gun: Long lasting rounds for trapping.
  • Gatling Gun: High fire rate for screen control.
  • Dragon Gun: Good homing for pressure.
Side B: Bombs: can move the cursor up, down, left, and right. He can hurt himself.
  • Standard Bomb: medium speed, average arc, medium damage.
  • Submarine Bomb: slow, no arc, big damage.
  • Tomahawk Bomb: quick, high arc, comparatively less damage.
Down B: Pods: used for trapping and screen control and in the rare case recovery, Samus and Link style. He can hurt himself with them.
  • Spider Pod: homes in on nearby opponents on ground only. Three charges.
  • Satellite Pod: homes in on nearby opponents in the air only. Three charges.
  • Acrobat Pod: Simply for easy recovery in exchange for no screen control. One charge.
Up B: Air Dashes/Legs: depending on the leg you choose, your air dash Up B will be different. Gets 2 air dashes under normal circumstances.
  • Long Thrust: Longer air dashes.
  • Quick Thrust: Quicker air dashes.
  • Plus One Legs: gets an extra, normal air dash.
As for why Charges aren't a special, I'd make the normal Ray charge a forward smash, an anti air charge the up smash, and an in-place charge for down smash. They'd maybe have invincibility frames like in the games, but that might be OP.
This is probably one of the best Ray movesets I've seen in a while!

Top Bottom