• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
[quote="Super Smash Bros. Fan]

Also Mod, there is another thread with Ray. Could you merge that?[/quote]

Second that, but also Ray MKIII should make it to Smash, I think for his stage they should copy the design of the N64 arenas for more retro feel

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Wholehearted supporter! It's unfortunate though, Megaman kind of already fits the whole "robot that shoots stuff" archetype.

BTW, OP, you say his melee attacks would be weapons like the blade gun, and you DON'T include the knuckle gun?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Oh sorry I thought I mention the knuckle gun.

Its true that Megaman is very similar to Ray MK but I think that the two can still be very different.

1. Ray has more aerial abilities than Megaman.

2. Both have such a wide array of weapons so even though they're both small shooting robots they could have a completely different array of weapons.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Mechanically there's no reason they'd have to play the same, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that. I hope he gets referenced at least, I'd love to see more Custom Robo games. My friend and I were going to play the Gamecube version, though we stopped when he told me he had no memory card. A lot more fun when there are more parts unlocked.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Take a look at my sig. It's all you need to know,

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd love Ray, would he be the smallest character?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
They could adjust his size. Pikachu is only suppose to be 1' 4" and look how big he is compared to the other characters. I still think Ray would be small because not only is he in the games but it would help benefit his glass cannon style.

Also here's an image I found for a Ray Kirby Hat.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
BUMP. Hey guys, Ray is more relevant now that he is a popular topic on Gamefaq's. (minus captain rainbow) I believe he has a huge chance to be in the game, and would be a great off the wall pick from Sakurai. I firmly believe that he would be a great aerial fighter.

slambros

Smash Ace
Ray wasn't disconfirmed on the direct, was he? Just something I noticed.

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
NOPE! Was not shown off in the slightest.
Sakurai really likes Gundam, and he has one of the devs for the game on his team, so Ray is definitely possible.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
So quick question: Is the general consensus that Ray01 would be the best representation? Or is Mk. II or Mk. III up there for some of you?

And aside from that, I think that Ray would be a cool character if he got a Down/Rebirth Mechanic from his game similar to Little Mac and himself having a single, unique mechanic. That, and his double jumps being more like the Dashes in Custom Robo, with little vertical gain but lots of horizontal movement.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I would prefer 01, but MKIII has his fans too.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
So quick question: Is the general consensus that Ray01 would be the best representation? Or is Mk. II or Mk. III up there for some of you?

And aside from that, I think that Ray would be a cool character if he got a Down/Rebirth Mechanic from his game similar to Little Mac and himself having a single, unique mechanic. That, and his double jumps being more like the Dashes in Custom Robo, with little vertical gain but lots of horizontal movement.
I like that idea, he would be great as an aerial fighter as well.

I would prefer 01, but MKIII has his fans too.
Ray 01 would be the best, but Mk III was an assist trophy after all.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Ray Mk III is my most hoped for Smash character though i think he is highly unlikely.
Custom Robo Arena is my favourite game having played it at least 10 times, all the way through (even grudge matches)
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play any others as they weren't released in my country.

I made some Smash Bros. related art for him that you can see here:

And a Robo Cube
Robo Cube.png

And for a down air attack he could do a kirby style rock drop, turning into a robo cube.
Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
I loved custom robo for the gamecube....although i would absolutely love it if a ray model was playable, im not holding my breath for it..it doesnt seem very likely unfortunately :-/

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for a cutom robo character. Nothing wrong with adding a battlebot to the roster. Give it some more diversity

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I also see Ray as very unlikely. However as a fan I can see how Ray could have extra mechanics to add to his uniqueness.
They have been listed above by Master Rapier, S1LV3RH00D and AceZTeller separately.
-Aerial, Long Range character. Like an anti-Little Mac.
-Air Dash style jumps with more horizontal movement and more jumps.
-Down/Rebirth. Like if at 100% he went down for a bit but was then invincible for a time after (Risk-Reward).
-SoulBoost as a final smash or another type of added mechanics.

Obviously though i'm biased so who knows what Sakurai is planning.
Have another Robo Cube

upload_2014-4-25_20-31-26.png

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Was reading OP, and I saw Master Rapier's Moveset, and I loved it!
  • Satellite Pods are an obvious way to make him stand out in the air.
  • The Acrobat bomb was also an obvious recovery. Though in lieu of the Down/Rebirth mechanic, this idea is originally what made me think of it. In the game, the Acrobat Bomb/Pod wouldn't damage you, but you lost stamina in your Rebirth bar. I originally thought it would be a great way to give him some risk/reward factor in his recovery.
  • I LOVE the idea for not only a Soulboost final smash (again, obvious), but for a weapons upgrade too. Let's be honest, EVERYONE loved the Dragon Gun.
  • The down throw Drill Gun combo was clever.
I just hate potentially setting up myself for disappointment and seeing all these cool ideas go to waste. I really want Ray01/Mk. II/Mk.III....

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Was reading OP, and I saw Master Rapier's Moveset, and I loved it!
  • Satellite Pods are an obvious way to make him stand out in the air.
  • The Acrobat bomb was also an obvious recovery. Though in lieu of the Down/Rebirth mechanic, this idea is originally what made me think of it. In the game, the Acrobat Bomb/Pod wouldn't damage you, but you lost stamina in your Rebirth bar. I originally thought it would be a great way to give him some risk/reward factor in his recovery.
  • I LOVE the idea for not only a Soulboost final smash (again, obvious), but for a weapons upgrade too. Let's be honest, EVERYONE loved the Dragon Gun.
  • The down throw Drill Gun combo was clever.
I just hate potentially setting up myself for disappointment and seeing all these cool ideas go to waste. I really want Ray01/Mk. II/Mk.III....
From 1-10, how likely do you think he is to get in?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'd say 1.5/10. He's unlikely considering the limited slots available. Yet that certainly does not prevent me from wanting him,he is easily in my top 5 most wanted.

Groose

Smash Champion
Just dropping by to say I wholeheartedly support. Ray would be a really awesome surprise character. It's a shame no one on any major Smashsite ever talks about him.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I would like it to be Samus height also, because it would look coolest like that. But with smash bros scaling maybe Little Mac or Mario's height is closer.

Morbi

Scavenger
As someone that typically mains zoning characters, I wouldn't mind someone like Ray. I am not a fan of his series, but he has intrigued me since Melee. I would not mind him as a playable character at all. I feel as though his chances are severely underrated.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Here's a little moveset I've thrown together for Ray 01. I'll update it later with more.

Standard B: Gatling gun. He fires a series of small projectiles that would make fox jealous.

Side B: He uses his charge attack. This attack takes a little time to charge, but automatically breaks shields.

Up B: He uses the acrobat bomb to send himself high into the air. While it won't do damage (akin to its original appearance) You can perform a meteor smash if it is timed just right.

Down B: Reflector Pod. A pod is launched and will roam freely around the screen. If a player besides Ray 01 hits it, it will explode. For balancing issues, only 1 can be on screen at a time.

Final smash: Ray Legend. Ray transforms into the Ray Legend model for a brief period of time. His standard B is replaced by the X laser, which sends out 2 intertwining beams that do moderate damage.His smash attacks, strong, and standard attacks are boosted to near Giga-Bowser levels, and he is also increased to Sonic speed. HOWEVER, akin to its original appearance, your defenses go DOWN when using this, so most hits will send you flying. Do you play it safe an spam X-laser? Or go for the gold with smash attacks? It's up to you!

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Here's a little moveset I've thrown together for Ray 01. I'll update it later with more.

Standard B: Gatling gun. He fires a series of small projectiles that would make fox jealous.

Side B: He uses his charge attack. This attack takes a little time to charge, but automatically breaks shields.

Up B: He uses the acrobat bomb to send himself high into the air. While it won't do damage (akin to its original appearance) You can perform a meteor smash if it is timed just right.

Down B: Reflector Pod. A pod is launched and will roam freely around the screen. If a player besides Ray 01 hits it, it will explode. For balancing issues, only 1 can be on screen at a time.

Final smash: Ray Legend. Ray transforms into the Ray Legend model for a brief period of time. His standard B is replaced by the X laser, which sends out 2 intertwining beams that do moderate damage.His smash attacks, strong, and standard attacks are boosted to near Giga-Bowser levels, and he is also increased to Sonic speed. HOWEVER, akin to its original appearance, your defenses go DOWN when using this, so most hits will send you flying. Do you play it safe an spam X-laser? Or go for the gold with smash attacks? It's up to you!
Very original, I give this moveset a 9 out of 10.

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
I could see is side aerials being the dash jumps or maybe you could be able to dash jump with a button input like gliding. I have hard time see in how it would work in smash maybe you could literally dash in air? I really want ray in.

Top Bottom