• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys. I did not mean to be inactive for so long but SWF stopped giving alerts again. We should just figure out a way to tag people every so often to let them keep getting alerts. Anyway, Ray did really good in the poll. If a Smasher got that rank out of that number of entrants in a tourney people would know that Smasher was very good.

We have a subreddit now? Links?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's very respectable. I was worried he would have hardly any votes, but that's really good.

It's a bit of a shame that all of these poll's struggle to name a Custom Robo rep. Source gaming is really knowledgable, so no doubt they knew what they were doing, but I've seen some very weird conventions in naming a Ray model (e.g. Ray Mk 01, Ray 2, etc.).
I think the best name would be 'Custom Robo', that way it couldn't be confused with any other character and it would represent the entire spectrum of possible Custom Robo models.

The poll was really well done though. Loved browsing through the results.
That would be awesome! Having an 8-in-1 Custom Robo character with Ray as the main focus, and the character should be called Custom Robo for good measure. I'd be so hype if they did it in the style of :4bowserjr: and :4larry::4morton::4wendy::4iggy::4roy::4lemmy::4ludwig:. BTW, what robos do you think should be used for the character alongside Ray?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
YEAH! If Ray made it from 438 to 38, then that's pretty DAMN impressive. I say we're in a good place all things considered with how the other wanted characters are now.

:bowser:
Yeah, it's a very good step in the right direction. I think that the number can grow over time if we continue to provide support for him and the series. Considering the fact that we don't advertise as much as people like the K. Rool people or the Isaac supporters, this is pretty good. A little more advertising wouldn't hurt at all (both us for getting him in and Noise for selling games [seriously, Noise really doesn't advertise well {I'm not going to stop ripping at them until they advertise a game properly}]).

That's very respectable. I was worried he would have hardly any votes, but that's really good.

It's a bit of a shame that all of these poll's struggle to name a Custom Robo rep. Source gaming is really knowledgable, so no doubt they knew what they were doing, but I've seen some very weird conventions in naming a Ray model (e.g. Ray Mk 01, Ray 2, etc.).
I think the best name would be 'Custom Robo', that way it couldn't be confused with any other character and it would represent the entire spectrum of possible Custom Robo models.

The poll was really well done though. Loved browsing through the results.
Yeah, same here. Imagine how many 5ers Ray would've gotten if more copies of Custom Robo were sold back in the day. I'd say we did pretty well overall! :)

And yeah, I gotta agree. It REALLY irks me whenever a poll gets Ray's name wrong. Source Gaming did it right with this poll, but I would say "Custom Robo rep", "Custom Robo", "Ray series", or just "Ray" would work the best. But yeah. "Ray MK" works as well.

Sup guys. I did not mean to be inactive for so long but SWF stopped giving alerts again. We should just figure out a way to tag people every so often to let them keep getting alerts. Anyway, Ray did really good in the poll. If a Smasher got that rank out of that number of entrants in a tourney people would know that Smasher was very good.

We have a subreddit now? Links?
@ Zach777 Zach777 (does this ping you in the notification thingy?): Yeah, I gotta agree. Being in the top 10% in BOTH polls is pretty darn good. Let's hope we can get a higher percentile in the future!

And yeah, we do have a subreddit for Custom Robo stuff. It is https://www.reddit.com/r/customrobo. I frequent it a lot whenever a new post is made. Feel free to join the page! :)

That would be awesome! Having an 8-in-1 Custom Robo character with Ray as the main focus, and the character should be called Custom Robo for good measure. I'd be so hype if they did it in the style of :4bowserjr: and :4larry::4morton::4wendy::4iggy::4roy::4lemmy::4ludwig:. BTW, what robos do you think should be used for the character alongside Ray?
I would be down for that (though have the announcer actually say the name of the robo and not just call it "Custom Robo" [otherwise it'll permanently make Ray be called "Custom Robo" by people who don't know the details like how some people call Samus "Metroid" or Link "Zelda"]). I would have Ray, Ray MK II, X-Ray, Ray 01, Ray MK III, Ray II Dark, Ray Sky, and Ray Warrior personally. AIRS is just a recolor and Ray Legend is a modern version of Ray (though I would put it over Ray Sky if Ray Sky isn't a viable choice).

38th and 7th, wow that's really good. Our boy Ray is getting that recognition :o
Ray's definitely getting some much needed attention. IMHO, he just needs an extra push to get him a bit more popularity (well, that and a new game).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's a very good step in the right direction. I think that the number can grow over time if we continue to provide support for him and the series. Considering the fact that we don't advertise as much as people like the K. Rool people or the Isaac supporters, this is pretty good. A little more advertising wouldn't hurt at all (both us for getting him in and Noise for selling games [seriously, Noise really doesn't advertise well {I'm not going to stop ripping at them until they advertise a game properly}]).

Yeah, same here. Imagine how many 5ers Ray would've gotten if more copies of Custom Robo were sold back in the day. I'd say we did pretty well overall! :)

And yeah, I gotta agree. It REALLY irks me whenever a poll gets Ray's name wrong. Source Gaming did it right with this poll, but I would say "Custom Robo rep", "Custom Robo", "Ray series", or just "Ray" would work the best. But yeah. "Ray MK" works as well.

@ Zach777 Zach777 (does this ping you in the notification thingy?): Yeah, I gotta agree. Being in the top 10% in BOTH polls is pretty darn good. Let's hope we can get a higher percentile in the future!

And yeah, we do have a subreddit for Custom Robo stuff. It is https://www.reddit.com/r/customrobo. I frequent it a lot whenever a new post is made. Feel free to join the page! :)

I would be down for that (though have the announcer actually say the name of the robo and not just call it "Custom Robo" [otherwise it'll permanently make Ray be called "Custom Robo" by people who don't know the details like how some people call Samus "Metroid" or Link "Zelda"]). I would have Ray, Ray MK II, X-Ray, Ray 01, Ray MK III, Ray II Dark, Ray Sky, and Ray Warrior personally. AIRS is just a recolor and Ray Legend is a modern version of Ray (though I would put it over Ray Sky if Ray Sky isn't a viable choice).

Ray's definitely getting some much needed attention. IMHO, he just needs an extra push to get him a bit more popularity (well, that and a new game).
Great idea! I was mostly talking about OTHER Robos, and not just Ray models, but that's still an epic idea!

Also, you know what Ray would need for more popularity?
To get into Smash as a playable character! Let's make it happen, people!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Just a new game AND good advertisement can do wonders for both the series AND Ray. Just look at Splatoon. It came from out of nowhere after being announced on E3 days, and it grow from there because of word of mouth. Something like that CAN be possible with CR if Nintendo puts their mind to it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So the conversations that were brought up over at the Official Character Discussion thread regarding Custom Robo... I guess you can say that I would be happy to support Ray's inclusion for Super Smash Bros!

And the series definitely could do with a new game - that'd easily attract more attention to the Custom Robo franchise.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
So the conversations that were brought up over at the Official Character Discussion thread regarding Custom Robo... I guess you can say that I would be happy to support Ray's inclusion for Super Smash Bros!

And the series definitely could do with a new game - that'd easily attract more attention to the Custom Robo franchise.
Thanks for the support mate! :) All support for this great series is definitely appreciated mate! :)

And yeah, a new game would help a LOT. Dunno which system it should be made for though.

Also, Episode 2 of the Translated Walkthrough is still being made. I currently have work going on at the moment, so it might be a while.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

Any support is good support. Glad to see more people joining us for the CR series. It was honestly such a pleasant surprise to see Ray and the series getting a little bit of discussion there and about how people would be up for that. Nice to see that the series getting attention in terms of the character Ray, indeed.

Discussion AT ALL of CR is ALWAYS nice to see.

:bowser:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
(based on the forum closure)
Giving the invite out to everyone if you choose to accept it.

MY group will be remaining open and will allow anyone to come if they wish to return to business as usual. Make your thread here if you would like. Trying to keep the community together.
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/predefined-role-character-support.1812/
Thank you very much for the offer.

With this news, I think I'm going to ask the moderators to move this thread fully over to A Distant Demon A Distant Demon social forum.

If anyone has any other ideas, or problems with this course of action, let's talk it out know. This thread has a lot of history and it's really important that everyone is aware of these types of decisions, and has a say.
We've made the migration before, and hopefully we can do it again. If everyone's okay with it, i'll message the mods.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Thanks you very much for the offer.

With this news, I think I'm going to ask the moderators to move this thread fully over to A Distant Demon A Distant Demon social forum.

If anyone has any other ideas, or problems with this course of action, let's talk it out know. This thread has a lot of history and it's really important that everyone is aware of these types of decisions, and has a say.
We've made the migration before, and hopefully we can do it again. If everyone's okay with it, i'll message the mods.
Actually, you'll probably have to just copy and paste the OP to a new Ray thread there. I don't think mods can do that.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Thanks you very much for the offer.

I'm totally OK with moving the thread to a new location. That way we don't lose 33 pages of history. Starting from scratch PROBABLY wouldn't help us a lot, so I'm hoping that we can just move this thread to a new location.

That being said, I'll try reserving a thread in the new location JUST IN CASE we cannot get this thread moved. Best to have a back-up plan just in case if worse comes to worst.

Edit: And back-up thread created! Here it is, but hopefully we can just move this thread (if we cannot, I'll just copy and paste what we have as the OP and then we can restart from there): http://smashboards.com/threads/supp...robo-discussion-thread-back-up-thread.421609/

Actually, you'll probably have to just copy and paste the OP to a new Ray thread there. I don't think mods can do that.
During the timeframe between the release of the 3DS version and the 50 Fact Extravaganza/Fighter Ballot Announcement we moved this thread (shoutouts go to @Hong and the like for doing so) so we wouldn't lose information while still being able to comment on it (unlike some pages that got locked until after the matter). It IS possible to move threads from one area to another. It's just a bit harder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom