• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
I could see is side aerials being the dash jumps or maybe you could be able to dash jump with a button input like gliding. I have hard time see in how it would work in smash maybe you could literally dash in air? I really want ray in.
How likely do you think he is? And that would be pretty sweet!

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
I'd give him a 4/10 Unlikely but not ridiculous to think about. He is a completely unique character from a unique and unrepped game. Sakurai and the crew put a lot of effort into his assist trophy. I can see him being an assist trophy again, but the games are so fun. I need more custom robo in my life. He's my number one wanted character. More so than Ridley King K. Rool and Mewtwo or really any pokemon. I pray a custm robo game is announced on E3 for 3ds I would die, because I have smash bros, pokemon, zelda, and custom robo coming soon. I would die if he was announced and had alternate skins with the different marks of ray. Custom Robo is a underated gem.

Just look at this cutscene!!!

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'd give him a 4/10 Unlikely but not ridiculous to think about. He is a completely unique character from a unique and unrepped game. Sakurai and the crew put a lot of effort into his assist trophy. I can see him being an assist trophy again, but the games are so fun. I need more custom robo in my life. He's my number one wanted character. More so than Ridley King K. Rool and Mewtwo or really any pokemon. I pray a custm robo game is announced on E3 for 3ds I would die, because I have smash bros, pokemon, zelda, and custom robo coming soon. I would die if he was announced and had alternate skins with the different marks of ray. Custom Robo is a underated gem.

Just look at this cutscene!!!

If the actual game was as awesome as the cutscene, we wouldn't need to worry about it being an underated gem :) As it stands, I can only cross my fingers and hope for a custom robo revival.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
If the actual game was as awesome as the cutscene, we wouldn't need to worry about it being an underated gem :) As it stands, I can only cross my fingers and hope for a custom robo revival.
Agreed. Anyone think a new game might come at E3?

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
It's really about time for a new game. Its too risky for wiiu so its 3ds or nothing......... But that new controller..... Maybe wii could see a virtual console of the gamecube game?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I remember seeing this question on the Ridley thread and thought it was pretty cool.
Would you prefer a new Custom Robo game for the 3ds or to see Ray in smash 4?
Agreed. Anyone think a new game might come at E3?
If only :( Maybe an eshop game ala Photo Finder could revive the series?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I was thinking maybe Ray could get alternate skins of himself from various Custom Robo games:
Ray (Custom Robo) (default)
Ray MK II (Custom Robo V2)
Ray MK II (Custom Robo Arena)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo: Battle Revolution)
X-Ray (Custom Robo GX)
and Ray MK III (Custom Robo Arena)
So those are my ideas for alternate skins for Ray, so tell me what you think!

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about you guys. But the latest pic from Sakurai seems like a familiar mechanic.
upload_2014-6-10_17-20-34.png

Custom Robo Arena Soulboost?

Hong

The Strongest
Even better: let's see a new custom robo game!
Please.

On the Wii U, preferably. Felt best on a shared screen. Gamepad could be used for picking parts in single player, as well as designing your own holosseums.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Soulboost
Lol, didn't think of that, but there isn't a cleaning reference either, so I don't buy it! :p

Please.

On the Wii U, preferably. Felt best on a shared screen. Gamepad could be used for picking parts in single player, as well as designing your own holosseums.
Ooooo, A level designer would make that game exceed all expectations! I would LOOOVE that.

FasdfGfaha

Smash Cadet
Seeming as my #1 pick got disconfirmed earlier (Tingle, in case you were wondering), Ray is now been upgraded to my #1 most wanted from his #2 position.

Cheers, and here's hoping! It's not over until the fat lady sings!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Not holding my breath, but at least we haven't seen the Assist Trophy yet.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I'd be happy with any incarnation of Ray. Sadly, I think he'd be more likely as a DLC character (assuming they do DLC) instead of making it on the base roster.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am rooting for Ray; as far as I see it, any AT not shown from Brawl so far has a good shot if it is a full out character (well; no... Isaac, Ray.... hm, maybe only those two?)

Seeming as my #1 pick got disconfirmed earlier (Tingle, in case you were wondering), Ray is now been upgraded to my #1 most wanted from his #2 position.

Cheers, and here's hoping! It's not over until the fat lady sings!
Tingle was disconfirmed?

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'd be happy with any incarnation of Ray. Sadly, I think he'd be more likely as a DLC character (assuming they do DLC) instead of making it on the base roster.
DLC actually seems like a pretty good place for Ray. He's not a wii fit trainer where people would scratch their heads and wonder "Who?" but not so hyped people would be furious about them not being in the main roster.

Edit: We reached 100 posts!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thank goodness! I'be been hoping for quite sometime now that we haven't seen any sign of Isaac and/or Ray in SSB4 as an Assist, so this is very good news in my book!

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Tingle was disconfirmed?
WIND WAKER/TOON Tingle was. Each tingle incarnation are literally different guys with the same name; that's it. This doesn't put tingle from the DS series out of the competition. You know, the one whose games sold like hot cakes and actually became a person with fairy powers? I tried telling people this in the tingle thread, that it isn't any different from Ridley or Toad, but that seems to go unnoticed.

Anyway, I hope Ray makes it. Noise confirmed on their blog, as well as the creator in twitter, that they aren't working on any CR games but would love to. That worries me a bit

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
This is no time to talk about tingle! This is a custom robo thread!

Had anyone seen the assist trophy though? Like in best buy?

Ricky Winterborn

Smash Rookie

Ray, Ray, Raaaaaayyyyyyy!!
I support his inclusion our boy Ray is too damn unique and could act as a great counter character to Little Mac's playstyle. Long range aerial threat vs the ground dominator. I believe Ray, Isaac & Barbara (all former assist trophies) still have a pretty good shot at being playable, and not seeing them revealed as assists in this new iteration helps to increase their chances greatly. If Ray is indeed in, he'll be a secret character along with Isaac and everybody else. Namco = Gundam, so I'm thinking them devs as well as Sakurai would love to forge a new version of Ray (Smash Bros Namco version) and maybe infuse some Gundam like qualities with his character, after all anything is possible in the realm of Smash Bros.

Ray will rain down like a visitor from Heaven hallelujah!!
Gundamized Ray!! Imagine seeing a secret playable Custom Robo character looking like this? Any Smash Bros player would be like holy crap who the heck is this guy? Nintendo has mechanoids? Sakurai is keeping the lid on the totally rad characters guaranteed, why spoil everything when he can pamper us with his Palutenas, Rosalinas and other big stars its all a smoke screen for something special. Mega Man & Pac Man are pretty big icons to begin with, but he's gonna hold back the underdog revelations (Isaac, etc).​

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I love ROB.

I want four Robots.
Robot battle.

Megaman.
ROB.
Ray.
Chibi.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little upset, because they did with Palutena *exactly what I wanted them to do with Ray; A completely customizable moveset. Being able to choose between different guns, bombs and pods would have been so cool, like oh my god. I can only hope he's a part of the game as a secret or as DLC.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm a little upset, because they did with Palutena *exactly what I wanted them to do with Ray; A completely customizable moveset. Being able to choose between different guns, bombs and pods would have been so cool, like oh my god. I can only hope he's a part of the game as a secret or as DLC.
Yes... that does seem to hurt his chances, to me. Unless it is actually implementd into his gameplay, as for her it seems to be pre or post game (and... I'm sure only one will still be THE gameplay for tournament? Or well hell I dont know, that is a big conversation).

I still think Palutena getting that option is ridiculous and only barely relates to her game.
Stretch to fit her in.
And maybe the gutter for Ray this game.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Yes... that does seem to hurt his chances, to me. Unless it is actually implementd into his gameplay, as for her it seems to be pre or post game (and... I'm sure only one will still be THE gameplay for tournament? Or well hell I dont know, that is a big conversation).

I still think Palutena getting that option is ridiculous and only barely relates to her game.
Stretch to fit her in.
And maybe the gutter for Ray this game.
You mustn't speak that blasphemy here. Have hope my fellow.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You mustn't speak that blasphemy here. Have hope my fellow.
Let us discuss other ways he could be playable, better customization options?
I mean, let's be realistic, if Palutena is sakurai's option of customization, it doesnt affect her play style at all- its all done out of game, like every other character.

Hong

The Strongest
It's disappointing that Palutena has this gimmick in the sense that it's not the kind of unique feature I associated with the character, and I literally could make five movesets for her that would be unique on their own.

While one could make a unique moveset for Ray just the same, at least with Ray being a Custom Robo, I associate customization with the character.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Here's a tune for us to jam to while we wishfully think of how cool a new custom robo game would be. It's my personal favorite from the series :)

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Let us discuss other ways he could be playable, better customization options?
I mean, let's be realistic, if Palutena is sakurai's option of customization, it doesnt affect her play style at all- its all done out of game, like every other character.
Let's see. If he was limited to no customization, then his B special could be the three green energy shots he fires from his AT in Brawl, and his side B could be shooting a bomb. His down B would be Pod dispersal, and his up B could be Leg jump boost. Each of these have the ability to be tweaked for customized play. The guns, bombs, pods, and legs all work different in the game, and can work here too.

EDIT: Don't count him out just yet.

Here's a tune for us to jam to while we wishfully think of how cool a new custom robo game would be. It's my personal favorite from the series :)
Great track! Personally, this one is my favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0E6XGoRjAg

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Usually new characters are accompanied by a stage, sometimes an item, and sometimes an assist trophy.
What Stage, Item, and Assist trophy would you want (or think is most likely) in the Custom Robo Universe.
E.g
  • Basic Holosseum
  • Super Cloth
  • Hadron
I'd love to hear some Gamecube suggestions as I'm not as familiar with that game.

Top Bottom