• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Super Smash Land] - Final Build 1.1 Online

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Yeah i agree sonic would be awesome, but he is really difficult to draw this small. Tough to get him to look right haha.

Also @GeminiFade. These sprites aren't for the game, more for my testing to see how they would translate this small. (So just this idle exists right now) If i did pick one of these characters I would go back and spend more time tweaking the sprites and getting them to look right before doing all the animaions. All these suggestions are for 1 character spot so in the end, only 1 character is gonna make it in. That being said, I have no restraints on who I would be willing to put in as long as it makes sense.

As for Pacman, I think I could get a moveset out of him. It would be difficult, but I think it would be fun. He could spawn dots then eat them, he could launch dots, he have a ghost attack haha. There are a few possibilities. I am still not sure if he is a top 10 suggestion though.

Anyway, here are the new suggestions and I tweaked roll a bit.

As for progress, pikachu is nearly done being sprited so then coding for him begins. Then its onto doing one more stage and getting an arcade mode in and working and the demo should be out in february. Also a Link teaser video is coming out on monday. My friend edited it. I must admit, it is pretty slick.

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
Sonic looks great! Albeit a bit more modern then I'd hoped, but still near perfect.

And Roll comes in many different styles. But this is the one I was hoping you'd use:

GeminiCrossFade

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Yeah i agree sonic would be awesome, but he is really difficult to draw this small. Tough to get him to look right haha.

Also @GeminiFade. These sprites aren't for the game, more for my testing to see how they would translate this small. (So just this idle exists right now) If i did pick one of these characters I would go back and spend more time tweaking the sprites and getting them to look right before doing all the animaions. All these suggestions are for 1 character spot so in the end, only 1 character is gonna make it in. That being said, I have no restraints on who I would be willing to put in as long as it makes sense.

As for Pacman, I think I could get a moveset out of him. It would be difficult, but I think it would be fun. He could spawn dots then eat them, he could launch dots, he have a ghost attack haha. There are a few possibilities. I am still not sure if he is a top 10 suggestion though.

Anyway, here are the new suggestions and I tweaked roll a bit.

As for progress, pikachu is nearly done being sprited so then coding for him begins. Then its onto doing one more stage and getting an arcade mode in and working and the demo should be out in february. Also a Link teaser video is coming out on monday. My friend edited it. I must admit, it is pretty slick.
Its sucks that only 1 will win but truthfully all of these characters are great ideas whichever one wins will look great anyway. Anyway, am i still allowed to put up my ideas?

mctazin

Smash Rookie
I picked Roll because she's been in fighting games before. The normal MegaMan hasn't, as far as I know.
I pick megaman as he would be very easy to sprite small, he would have great ranged combat and he has been in at least one fighting game.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yes, Megaman has been in the original Marvel VS Capcom. Oh, and he kicked tremendous ammounts of *** there, too.

Oh, and using Sonic... I dunno, I feel it would somehow undermine the "OMG Factor" of him being in Brawl? Probably me being pickish...

... Speaking of that... Lmao, I just had a crazy idea. Let me post it:

1. Name: Chibi Cpt. Falcon
2. Games: F-Zero Series
3. Third Party: No
4. Date-Accurate: Yes
5. Why: Rule of Funny, look it up. Rule of Cool could apply too.
6. Fighting Style: Obviously like Captain Falcon, but done in a "chibi" style, and every time he attacks, instead of voicing his attack (gameboy can't do it :( ) he just goes "BEEEP BEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEP!"...
... Okay, make that "Robot Chibi Captain Falcon!"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well I'm not sure exactly what your "rules" for character inclusion is. And I'm not sure if you want only those four nintendo characters, and then two other third parties of what. But I suggest two nintendo characters, and two thir parties. All with pics and resoning. :)

-Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
[Nintendo]
http://www.mariowiki.com/Bubbles_(Clu_Clu_Land)

Bubbles and Clu Clu land have this sort of legacy, not as big as Mario and Link mind you, but around the same as Pit. She is a "retro" character, and her spriting would be easy, as well as a very original moveset.

-Magical Starsign Hero
[Nintendo]
http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/722/722630/magical-starsign-20060801044337838_640w.jpg

Magical Starsign is a newer game, and is pretty unknown as far as nintendo games are considered. I do not believe the original was even released in America. It's a turn based game that revolves around elements, and outer space. It's very interesting and you could have a lot of fun making a move set, with a little research that is.

Proffesor Layton or Luke (The Boy) :
[Level 5, Published By Nintendo]
http://videogamesrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/professor-layton-300x300.jpg

I leave the choice to you. I like Professor, and I know at some point he uses a rapier. The moveset for Luke would be based on the puzzles things he does in the game. The game is extremely fun (and rewarding) puzzle game. "Professor Layton needs your help! London Is in Peril"

Momohime [Muramas and The Demon Blade]
[VanillaWare]
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/238/945179-momohime_large.jpg

Momohime is a girl who lets her body be used by a demon, and basically she goes around DESTROYING her enemies with her crazy swords and swift moves. For this moveset you just have to look up a gameplay video of her, and you'll know what I'm talking about. VanillaWare is a newer gaming company, you may not know of them. But the game is beautiful. And Hey, she would be (Most likely) the only female in the game! Plus right? :)

So yes, these are my suggestions, I look foreward to what you have to say.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shortie, read this post:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12004241&postcount=187

For me, the only real "rule" about these characters is that they have to have existed before the gameboy... But that's for me. Maybe 4nace could open an exception.
Before gameboy?

Erg. I'll make a new list on this post. But I'll keep Bubbles.

1. Name: Bubbles
2. Games: Clu Clu land, DK King of Swing
3. Third Party : No
4. Date-Accurate: Yes (1984)
5. Why: Bubbles is a great older character with a legacy like Pit, like I said. On top of that She has about three cameos in newer games? (Melee, DKkos, WW Smooth Moves)
6. Fighting Style: She uses sonar, these bars to swing off of, and could pick up and throw urchins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0GGVTLUXjM

1. Name: Sabure Prince
2. Games: For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls
3. Third Party: No
4. Date accurate: Yes (1992)
5. Why: One of the more interesting games I've seen for the Gameboy. It's JP only, so you may not know about it, btu a quick read up may convince you too.
6. From what I've read, he knows how to fence, as well as having the ability to transform into a snake, and frog. He uses a sword, pick axe, mirror sheild, and a saw. Again, the game is in japanese, and since I haven't played it, it's hard to find out what his moves would be. :p
Pic: http://www.mariowiki.com/images/7/74/Sabure_Prince_Sticker.jpg

1. Name: MetaBee
2. Metarot 1
3. Third Party: Yes
4. Date accuracy yes (1997)
5. Why: Because I liked the anime, and since it was a game originally, metabee would be an awesome character.
6. He has a very feist personality, which matches his appearence and use of missles, riflies, and gatlin attcaks. He has two orns on his head, plus he can physically punch/kick.
Pic: http://furuanimepanikku.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/metabee.jpg

1. Name: Geno
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Third Party: Yes and No?
4. Date accuracy Yes (1997)
5. Because he has a massive underground fanbase, and if you were around for the height of brawl's hype, you would understand how wanted he was. He even got six votes in the melee polls, this random character got six votes. He's really liked.
6. He is super interesting, he is a space star thingy, that took over the body of a doll. Now he has various moves like Geno Beam, Geno Whirl, Geno Geno Blast, and Geno Flash.

Pic: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs35/f/2008/292/f/5/Geno_for_Brawl_by_fluxmage.png
More Info: http://www.mariowiki.com/geno#Special_Moves

If you are willing to keep Momohime, then I vote for her instead of Metabee, but if not. This is where I stand :)

Luxor

Smash Champion
1. Name: Hector
2. Games: Fire Emblem (7, Blazing Sword)
3. Third Party : No
4. Date-Accurate: Yes (2003, for GBA)
5. Why: FE7 had three lords. Lyn has her fair share of love, making an appearance in SSBB. Eliwood has vicariously had even more attention through his son Roy's appearance in SSBM. Hector, the most unique of the three lords, gets almost no attention. Unlike Lyn and Eliwood, Hector's chosen weapon is the axe, which he wields recklessly and powerfully. He would make a unique addition to the game, and axes are just so bad***.
6. Fighting Style: Hector's attack animations as a Great Lord suggest range and power, but without much speed. I think that would be a great way to design Hector.

Up air- Spins his axe around really quickly, like a helicopter, gaining altitude.
Down air- Sticks his axe down. It's sharp.
Back air- Hector lies his body flat, and he becomes a hitbox because his armor is so heavy.
Forward air- Like his (unevolved) attack animation- Smashes his axe overhead pretty quickly.
Neutral special- Throws a Hand Axe in a circle starting below him and ending above him, reminiscent of his ingame animation, coming back like a boomerang. It doesn't hit things right in front of him, or it would be OP.
Forward Smash- Lifts Armads overhead, and cleaves the foe in TWAIN with great range.
Down Smash- After a moderate windup, Hector smashes the ground beneath him. Any foe standing on the ground is stunned and dealt damage, but no knockback. This could give Hector some good mindgame/combo potential.
Up Smash- Throws his axe up, and then it comes down and he catches it. Great vertical range.
Dash attack- Thunders forward with his axe in front, with great priority, but moderate cooldown.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
1. Name: MetaBee
2. Metarot 1
3. Third Party: Yes
4. Date accuracy yes (1997)
5. Why: Because I liked the anime, and since it was a game originally, metabee would be an awesome character.
6. He has a very feist personality, which matches his appearence and use of missles, riflies, and gatlin attcaks. He has two orns on his head, plus he can physically punch/kick.
Pic: http://furuanimepanikku.com/wp-conte...12/metabee.jpg
Great suggestion, IMO. Even if just because I really loved the anime too :p

(plus the song was catchy!)

Also, Geno would be a good idea too. It would bring more attention to this game too. ("Omg you mean there is a Smash fan-game that has Geno in it and IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!?")

Kpoforever94

Smash Rookie
Agree with big lord, metabee would be a great character, and geno was kinda cool in mario rpg. Maybe mallow, but he sucked so much he doesn't deserve this.
I sincerelly hope that 4nace could create sonic, even with the pixel limitation :S.
I also insist that DK would be a nice char.

1. Name: Donkey kong
2. Games: Donkey kong, dk country series, dk 64, etc.
3. Third Party : Yes
4. Date-Accurate: Yes
5. Why: Been in all smash games
6. Fighting Style: classic slow powerful character

4nace

Smash Ace
@Shortiecanbrawl
Awesome suggestions man. All characters who are time accurate and who would fit in the world with the added "WTF, why him?" MetaBee is especially interesting.

Hector sounds pretty awesome too Luxor. Would definitely be fun to play and would be very different from the other characters. I haven't played FE ever, so would he be recognizable or would no one know who he is?

Haha chibi Cfalc. That will be fun to sprite =).

As for sonic, he is my main in brawl. I know exactly what he would need to be fun in this game. I have some ideas to make him unique. The downside of sonic is that, right now, Pika is being designed as the fast character so he would have to be slowed a bit to differentiate sonic even more. Also, Sonic could easily be overpowered with his blazing speed and no shields. (the only way to stop the spin dash in this game would be to hit him with an attack)

As for the spriting, I will come back and do the suggestions soon. I will do all the ones that i find interesting (or maybe all of them completely if they don't add up to much) However, my development time is focused on getting pikachu done and getting demo 2 out in february. Pikachu has alot of things that need to be coded in new ways (Thunder and Quick Attack mostly) but I think he will be very fun. The new stage hasn't been started, but I have done stages in less than a day before and the design for the first inspired stage is already complete =).

Check back tomorrow for a Link Teaser Video that is going up on Piki Geek! Cross your fingers just right and you may see it on Kotaku =P.

-4nace

Life

Smash Hero
Just a random thought
1. Name: Ryu Hayabusa
2. Ninja Gaiden series
3. Third Party: IDR
4. Date accuracy: Yep.
5. Why: He stars in at least one of the hardest games ever (not sure about difficulty of the sequels). Also, SSL lacks a traditional swordsman (other than Link, who's more based on his toolbox). Well, Ryu's a ninja, so maybe he doesn't quite fill that niche either.
6. Ryu has MAYBE one projectile (shuriken), IDK whether it would make him too close to Link if he did. Other than that, he's based on swords and acrobatics. Jumps high and falls fast like Fox/ZSS, attacks resemble MKs but less broken obviously. Based on hit-and-run tactics along with a strong combo game. Limited by poor attack range and recovery, as well as being combo-bait himself and, to a lesser extent, having trouble getting in on projectiles (every character you've added so far has one, if you count Kirby's Final Cutter). But give him an opening and you can expect it to hurt.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yay for approving Chibi CFalcon!

Also, a very good trailer, did you make it yourself? I loved it man :)

PS: nice nod at Pikachu at the end, hehe.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Very nice, I was wondering about stage selection?

How many stages will you be having?

Kpoforever94

Smash Rookie
DeeNinjaa obviously, dk is fast in ssb games, but i think 4nace would be more interested in doing a character with a different type of gameplay than the others. Making DK more powerful but slow-paced would make him a nice addition to the roster. So what if it isn't like the original games, supposedly this game came before the others, right?

Kpoforever94

Smash Rookie
Really? it would sound more logic if it had came before. never mind, I still think a different type of character would be ideal

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
Let's see. We have:
All-around
Copying/Power
Ranged/Power
Agile

I think we're good.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
The first in the series is obviously the n64 one. Why not make this a title launched a little after it?

Also, thanks Ultimortal for your Chibi Falcon support :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So

Mario: SSB64 Peaches Castle
Pikachu: Saffron City
Link: Hyrule Castle
Kirby: SSB64 Green Greens

Geno: Geno's Woods
Chibi Falcon: Big Blue?

I want to hear what everyone thinks there characters levels should be!

I'm gonna hate looking up Subure Prince's level. F!!!!!! Same with Metabee. Bubbles level could be weird to make....idk that would be hard.

Kpoforever94

Smash Rookie
I vote for green hills. It's the first in the majority of the games. Put a couple of platforms, a couple of small animals hanging around there and you're all set.

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
Green Hill is too overdone. Need something better. Ergo, Starlight. That or Stardust Speedway(Metal Sonic <3)

Also, Green Hill has only been in 5 games. Only 2 had it as the first zone.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Would Soul Caliber/Sould Edge Caliber fit the criteria? I don't know if they Had a Game on a Nintendo system before (or after) SCII

4nace

Smash Ace
The stage that comes with the 6th character is something that I have been thinking about. The stage alone is the number 1 reason I have even been thinking about Megaman, so inversephase can do a rendition of Wily's Castle Part 2 from Megaman II.

A pacman stage would be very fun as well, and there are also tons of ideas to pull from for Sonic. But yeah, i have been thinking with Demo 2 just around the corner (Pikachu and the new Custom Stage are complete coding-wise) it may be time to finalize a poll for the 6th character.

Here is my list that I have come up with, let me know what you think, or any others that you would definitely swap out or add.

Poll for Secret Character for Super Smash Land.
N.) Donkey Kong
N.) Samus
N.) Pit
N.) Game and Watch
N.) Captain Falcon
3.) Sonic
3.) Megaman
3.) Pacman
3.) Bomberman
3.) Jazz Jackrabbit

Haha yeah a few surprises, but I decided that I want the character recognizable rather than unknown, I also decided that I want a 50-50 shot. Now if anyone can tell me why their suggestion is better than one up there then please let me know. I have megaman > roll just because i think megaman matches better with Mario, Kirby, Link etc. Also, Jazz Jackrabbit, Game and Watch and Pacman are the likely to get kicked off so let me know why your suggestion is better than them!

-4nace

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
N.) Group as is. I choose Donkey Kong. If you were to swap out Mr. G&W with someone like Fox, Lucas, or Marth I would say differently.

3) Group as is. I would choose bomberman. Lose that weird guy and add in a FEMALE like Morrigan [DarkStalkers] Chun Li [Street Fighter] Jilll Valintine [Resident Evil] or White Mage [Final Fantasy] then I would reconsider. But I'm pretty happy with bomberman.

N.) Donkey Kong
N.) Samus
N.) Pit
N.) Lucas
N.) Captain Falcon
3.) Sonic
3.) Megaman
3.) Morrigan or Street Fighter character
3.) Bomberman
3.) Final Fantasy character or Jill Valintine

And definitely you could Have a Male FF character, or a Male SF character. But Jill and Morrigan are kind of who I think of when RE or DS come up.

DeeNinjaa

Smash Apprentice
Swap Jazz with Marth.
Swap GaW with Cless Alvein(Tales Of character)
Swap PacMan with Luigi

GeminiCrossFade

Smash Ace
The stage that comes with the 6th character is something that I have been thinking about. The stage alone is the number 1 reason I have even been thinking about Megaman, so inversephase can do a rendition of Wily's Castle Part 2 from Megaman II.

A pacman stage would be very fun as well, and there are also tons of ideas to pull from for Sonic. But yeah, i have been thinking with Demo 2 just around the corner (Pikachu and the new Custom Stage are complete coding-wise) it may be time to finalize a poll for the 6th character.

Here is my list that I have come up with, let me know what you think, or any others that you would definitely swap out or add.

Poll for Secret Character for Super Smash Land.
N.) Donkey Kong
N.) Samus
N.) Pit
N.) Game and Watch
N.) Captain Falcon
3.) Sonic
3.) Megaman
3.) Pacman
3.) Bomberman
3.) Jazz Jackrabbit

Haha yeah a few surprises, but I decided that I want the character recognizable rather than unknown, I also decided that I want a 50-50 shot. Now if anyone can tell me why their suggestion is better than one up there then please let me know. I have megaman > roll just because i think megaman matches better with Mario, Kirby, Link etc. Also, Jazz Jackrabbit, Game and Watch and Pacman are the likely to get kicked off so let me know why your suggestion is better than them!

-4nace
I would swap Pit with Black Mage and Jazz with Toad. I know that pit is older then then the gameboy and everything but.. Idk after seeing him in brawl I was sorta dissapointed. To me the game would be alot more fun with someone who didn't get their chance in brawl. I dont know who in the world is Jazz Jackrabbit so I cant really say why about that one. Your choice for megaman is understandable but I see him in almost every flash smash bros game that is made and I mean every last one. If they make a new smash bros I guarantee you he will be there. Im just saying megaman wouldn't be as fun as some others I mean id even go with the idea of Roll but there is to much megaman ya kno? Smash Flash 2 and 1, Smash bros rumble, Smash bros brawl, and im sure there are tons others that use him in it. Im just saying...

4nace

Smash Ace
KK. So i can see that Pit is pretty unwanted, gonna swap him out for Fox and Game and Watch for Toad.

Jazz Jackrabbit can peace.

As for the megaman vs roll debate? Is there anything that she does much differently from megaman to make her a better option? Or for that matter, would a different megaman character be better such as protoman or one of the robot masters from megaman 2.

Anyway, here are some revisions to the 10 person options.

N.) Donkey Kong
N.) Samus
N.) Fox
N.) Captain Falcon
N.) Toad
3.) Sonic
3.) Megaman
3.) Bomberman
3.) Black Mage
3.) Pacman

It is feeling pretty good right now. Once the list is finalized, it will go up as a poll on piki geek. But yeah, any other nintendo or 3rd party that MUST be on the list?

mctazin

Smash Rookie
Swap out Toad and put in Banjo kazooie. He was first in Diddy Kong racing as some random guy the had his own game series. It would be cool to have him as a secret character in a smash game before the rare stuff happened.

4nace

Smash Ace
Ehhh Luigi is not different enough from Mario....

As for the last nintendo, i think there are a couple characters who could get dropped in there, but im not sure how viable each is. Here are a couple that come to mind

Yoshi
Game and Watch
Hammer Bro
Metaknight
Wario
Ganon
Ness

Then again, I think I may want it from a different franchise from the starters which leaves only Ness and Game and Watch.

The 5th is from a franchise represented by the starters but the 5th has never been in smash. So it will not need a new stage while i would like the 6th to have its own stage.

-4nace

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Ehhh Luigi is not different enough from Mario....

As for the last nintendo, i think there are a couple characters who could get dropped in there, but im not sure how viable each is. Here are a couple that come to mind

Yoshi
Game and Watch
Hammer Bro
Metaknight
Wario
Ganon
Ness

Then again, I think I may want it from a different franchise from the starters which leaves only Ness and Game and Watch.

The 5th is from a franchise represented by the starters but the 5th has never been in smash. So it will not need a new stage while i would like the 6th to have its own stage.

-4nace
We need NO MORE Mario characters. Please Add in either Marth, Lucas/Ness/Ninten or Wario (Wario Land moveset)

Do not pick roll, I mean it makes no sense to have her over Megaman. If you want a female character we tons of better selections. I gave a few third party examples already.

Samus, Chun Li, Lora Croft, and Mrs. Pac Man are four of Video Games first female characters that were actually Protagonosts. This makes them landmark characters. Not only Historically, but we all know these characters. So just take the Woman into consideration.

Top Bottom