• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Super Smash Land] - Final Build 1.1 Online

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey all. Long time no talk. Been super busy.

BUT I have some small news. Getting a Mac port up and running failed due to the fact that I have no access to a mac and the few people I contacted did not have time or disappeared. The same thing happened with Online Multiplayer and I simply do not have the time right now to do it myself. I am working to see if an HTML5 Port is do-able and could have something up and running this summer.

Also I just checked in on numbers and have found that Super Smash Land has been downloaded over 295,000 times. That is much higher than I thought it would be especially considering that the game is Windows only. Thanks to everyone who supported the project here. =)

I will let you know here first if I take the time to add anything to this game.

-Dan

Smasher88

Smash Rookie
The GB version of SFII has 9 characters, I think this game should have 8. If you plan to add more characters, please, stick to the GB/GBC roster, there are very representative characters from this plataform that aren't in the game like Wario or Donkey Kong.

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
Super smash bros Demake on smashland website

4nace, you said to come to this site to post something.

The game i intend to make is called Super Smash Realm
I plan on using game maker 8 (lite edition freebie version) to make it. Ive already got 1 level made...

I need to know how to compile the levels togeather and make a game like yours... you inspired me :)

I wouldnt mind your help either...

I intend on to use megaman, but i don't think you would want me to copy off of you, so i might end up making a few changes..

another exclusive character i will be using is one that i plan on using in a later game... so dont be suprised if you dont recognize her name: Void.

The game is intended to be in color.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Jwiggi,

Thanks for coming here at it is easier to have discussion here then on the Smash Land site.

Feel free to use any sprites from Smash Land and color them for your game. The sprites for Smash Land can be found here:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/supersmashland/index.html

I would prefer if you colored them and didn't use them straight up but thats your decision haha.

As for stages, I used invisible block objects usually 16x16 in size but down to 4x4 in size to position over top of the tiles / backgrounds to build stages. When I was testing the game, I would set these to visible so I could quickly make / change stages before deciding on a final layout grapically.

And yeah, adding your own characters would be cool. Its a good idea to get creative with movesets because that can be the fun part. Recreating other movesets though will push your skill so for me it was better to start with the veterans.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
Super smash realm

Thanks Dan.

Now... In do have your permission to use the sprites right? i dont want to unintentionally use them (although re colored) and ... upset anyone, or you. do you get what im saying?

uhh... nevermind. i had to reread your post.

Angry_Grape

Smash Rookie
4nance, I use a mac and if you need assistance to get that mac port up I would love to help. I am a college student but I have plenty of free time so just let me know what I can do. I would love to see a Mac port as it is my only computer and I no longer wish to emulate windows to enjoy your great game. I've been helping Jwiggi with his Super Smash Realm game mainly the music.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Jwiggi:

Yeah feel free to color my sprites and use them. I scaled them up 4x using nearest neighbor in photoshop before using them in game maker. You could also PM Tetiro and ask him about using Isaac and/or possibly making other characters for you.

@Angry_Grape

Yeah, I was looking for someone to port Smash Land over to Mac. To do this, I would need to trust you with the editable files. Would you be able to link me to any work you've done in GM to prove that you would be able to fix any errors / problems that may arise from the Mac version that don't appear in the Windows version?

Thanks,
Dan

Angry_Grape

Smash Rookie
@4nance

The task may be more difficult than I originally anticipated. I don't have any major peices of work done, but like I said I am currently working with Jwiggi on his project. I also mainly do the graphics and audio on projects like this, I haven't really dipped my hands into the coding section. I thought you had the code for the program and you simply needed to have it tested to locate bugs. I wish I had the knowledge on programming to help you because this is a simply amazing game. If you need a mac beta tester, definately let me know, as I meticulously scan for glitches in games so I should be able to locate any buggy parts.

Could you possibly explain the programming conflicts you are currently facing, and the program you use ie. C++, Java, so I could get an idea of what I'm up against?

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
super smash realm

ah, on here you call yourself angry grape. cool. you might want to get game maker 8 if you dont have it yet.

4nace.... i wonder if i could possibly also use the megaman stage... it was a hit with me on the original... i liked it. the only change i would make for my game besides color would probably be removing the missle.

im still learning to build the game. im trying to make it where the character (void) wont fall off of the sky tower level.

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
game development

Hey 4nace? did you make it clear to Nintendo and Capcom that you were using their characters?

Im just making sure, because i dont want to get in trouble with them (ya know, law suits)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hey 4nace? did you make it clear to Nintendo and Capcom that you were using their characters?

Im just making sure, because i dont want to get in trouble with them (ya know, law suits)
1st, use the edit button rather than constantly making new posts that have little contributions to the topic.

2nd, Super Smash Land (and any other fan game with copyrighted characters) won't be sued for using copyrighted characters as long as the game is free and not being sold for profit (as it currently is).

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
1st, use the edit button rather than constantly making new posts that have little contributions to the topic.

2nd, Super Smash Land (and any other fan game with copyrighted characters) won't be sued for using copyrighted characters as long as the game is free and not being sold for profit (as it currently is).
I asked nintendo about that and they said this:

Thank you for writing. I appreciate your interest in Nintendo and all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

We are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties; however, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions. I realize this isn't what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.

Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances. You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible-Nintendo cannot provide legal advice. [/QUOTE]

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I asked nintendo about that and they said this:

Thank you for writing. I appreciate your interest in Nintendo and all our video game products. To us, it represents a great sign of success and recognition of the Nintendo brand.

We are grateful for all the requests we receive for permission to use Nintendo properties; however, we receive thousands of requests and do not have adequate staffing to review them all. Therefore, our general policy is to decline all such requests, no exceptions. I realize this isn't what you wanted to hear and thank you for understanding.

Although we are unable to grant permission, use of Nintendo properties without our formal permission may still be allowed depending on the circumstances. You are encouraged to seek your own legal counsel if you have any questions about whether your particular proposed use is permitted without Nintendo's authorization. This is not a comment on whether we believe your particular proposed use is permissible-Nintendo cannot provide legal advice.
:glare:

You really don't get it do you? I'm very well aware on Nintendo's stance on fan-made content with copyrighted content (and so are countless other people) so showing a letter from Nintendo's customer support wasn't needed. Fan games like these are being made ALL THE DANG TIME. So many in fact it would be pointless for anyone to sue them or send out a cease and desist letter on every single one of them (Not to mention Nintendo rarely does this regardless). And the only fan projects I've actually seen shut down by Nintendo (again, extremely few have happened) are ones that are wrongfully making a profit of it or in danger of negatively damaging their property, something this project is not doing on either. Plus I'm pretty sure the creator of this game was aware of these possible risks before he started this project.

And PLEASE don't tell me you actually put in any project names in that letter you sent as that could make everything worse for those working on the game or supporting it and ruin it for everyone.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Jwiggi

Hey, I never emailed Nintendo or went looking for permission. It was more of an experiment to see if I could create such a project in Game Maker while I was attending university. I think since I never intended to make any profit off the title, Nintendo never cared too much.

As for characters falling off the stage, I would think having gravity would help you there :D. Also Smash is going to be really tough if this is your first Game Maker game.

-Dan

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
4nace and Wario bros:

It was my dads idea, he didn't want me in any legal trouble. I can see both of your points, but i'm just trying to cover my behind.

oh and by the way.... i didnt give the names of the games i was going to create, but i did however give the names of the characters that i was going to use, so they might be on the lookout for that...

plus... i kinda got rid of the project as soon as i figured they didn't want me to use their characters...

However! i will find the project (most of it is on paper :) ) and save it, for i probably WILL use it in the future. i havent deleted any files, and don't intend to ( thing is, ive only made about 2 levels, and im trying to make it to where i can play it with one sprite on the screen, it is a work in progress, but i still need to learn scripting, because all the stuff provided by game maker might not be enough.

I'd give it a few years before i got back to the project, or if by some lucky chance, i actually get hired by nintendo. Don't worry, i wouldn't put in no effort for nothing, i gotta cover my rear and get a job in case bad times do happen!

Currently i am working on a (completely) self made game called Darknes, its an RPG, and ive got more stock in it than ive got in my other creations (ive been working on it since right before the beginning of the schoolyear)

4nace:
ill probably go my own way and make a few games on my own before i make my version of smash bros.

Wario Bros.:
this is what i put in the letter to nintendo.

Hello. I am considering making a free game that will eventually be published on the web for free download i'm not selling it, but would like others to play it., but i would like to ask if i could use the following characters:
Mario
Link
Dark Link
Bowser
Kirby
Chef Kowasaki
(for an 8 bit version of supermario64, but rewritten)
and

Mario
Kirby
Link
Bowser
Meta knight
Pikachu
Cubone

for a super smash bros 8 bit version

I will do all the drawing of the games myself, but i need your permission to use said characters.
Please get back to me as soon as possible.

I'm doing this because i recently got game making software, and am soon going to be learning how to do a great deal of the stuff you guys do. I am no means going to sell the games to make a profit. I do not wish to sell them at all, but let others play the game

Hopefully they won't catch on when i restart making everything.

Angry Grape: don't worry, what you've sent me through email will not go to waste. i defiantly Will put your name on the game (when it is created) along with anyone else whom decides to help me on the project.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
if nintendo actually gave a crap then they would have shut many projects down (most notably ssf2, which also proves that anime companies don't really care either)
you typically don't have to ask for permission from bigger companies, but you should always give credit where credit is due and not look to make any sort of profit if you're not using your own characters

Jwiggi

Smash Rookie
i dont want to tempt fate though, not until i am properly prepared.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I sincerely don't think you have to worry at all. Even something as substantial as Project M has gotten very little in the way of a C&D and that's considering that it has received a lot of attention from IGN. A small, one-man made Smash fangame will not cause issues.

Shadow

Smash Cadet
4nace could you plz release the source code for ssl I would like to try and update it
I do have some experience with gms

however I would need someone to work on the sprites and music
but I'm sure someone on the smashboards would be willing to help with that

however since I work with gms instead of legacy versions I would need to rewrite some parts of it
but I have always dreamed of making a smash bros game
however I never had the resources for it

anyways give me a message if your interested
I will pm you my email

Gyarater

Smash Rookie
for a super smash bros 8 bit version
So hows it been going, im very intereseted as im searching for smash bros demakes and have only found 4, so even a beta version I would apreciate!

Last edited:
Top Bottom