• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Super Smash Land] - Final Build 1.1 Online

4nace

Smash Ace
Haha hmmm i think i can see what you mean. I never educated that AI very well =P. I could make sure he always water guns before forward airing. Opening it up now.

As for progress, I am going to let the internets know the game is done soon. Working on a trailer and got a fantastic artist to help me out on the audio for it. Been playing LoL recently with my friends so been procrastinating too much.

But thanks for still playing BigLord and let me know if you find anymore bugs or need help getting any stages!

-Dan

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey guys.

I just uploaded a new version.

Here are the updates:
  • Fixed a few bugs, hopefully the error message at the end of some matches goes away. If you do get it then click ignore and report it here after the game.
  • Added a Song for Battlefield by flashygoodness
  • Changed knockback a bit to make comboing slightly easier

Also I am working on that final trailer still with flashy doing the music. I am going to hopefully have it done in a few weeks =). I will also be making the top score list visible from the front page soon.

-Dan

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey Dan, I made a small tribute to your game and Golden Sun. Hopefully you'll like it.

May I introduce Isaac and what he'd look like in the game! Just so you all know, this is purely for fun. Isaac won't ever be in SSL

And for those who don't know who Isaac is

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Isaac

Hope you'll all like it. I'll be updating it later. I may actually use it as my avatar too

Btw, how's the progress on the game?

4nace

Smash Ace
Looking really sweet, Tetiro =). Not sure what's happening in that downground though haha. Isaac would be a fun character, I read up a bit about him on your Wiki. Seems like his moveset could be very diverse. Also feel free to post your color mockup here as well and any other art you would like to add. =) Like I said on GMC, I am still thinking of opening this up to the community but only once I feel I am done with the project and it is bug-free.

As for what I have done recently. Flashygoodness has given me a few songs so I've been working on making a better victory screen in versus mode as well as victory songs for each character =). I have also played around with balance a bit and recorded many intense 1v1 fights that my friends and I had. So I might try to find someone willing to make a combo video and send the footage to them (after I finish the final trailer for smash land which is taking me much longer than it should haha) Anyways, yeah. The Endless mode high scores http://www.supersmashland.com/scores are starting to get intense. My friends and I played endless mode for about an hour to be able to dethrone Taylor with Giampapa in a Co-op 2 player match =). 2 Kirbies. I recorded one attempt where we got 1 shy of our previous recorded so I might upload that eventually too hah

-Dan

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey Dan, I've been working on my Isaac sheet

Is there any moves I have forgotten? (Like if this was Smash Bros Brawl, the final smash)

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
This is better than brawl with no hacks

Edit:

Saw youtube videos of some great players of a tournament

This is a great master piece and 8bits/16bits makes it awsome

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I think I've pretty much finished spriting my Isaac sheet. Hey Dan, is there anything I've missed?

Btw, I'll be sending you an PM later. I hope you can help me out if not, no worries.

Also, are there any stages or anything you want sprited? I'm in a spriting mood.

4nace

Smash Ace
@Noah
Haha thanks. Hopefully if people enjoy it enough they will take it with them to Smash tourneys =P

@Tetiro
Sounds sweet man. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you via PM. Been really busy. I'll give you some tips once I get a chance. Which will probably be early next week as my weekend is pretty booked and I'd like to write up a nice little guide for you.

But yeah, the Trailer is nearly complete with just a few things to change and some songs to add. Working on it now actually =)

-Dan

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
The trailer is friggin awesome! Why haven't you posted anything here about it? :(

I'ma gonna test the new version later.

4nace

Smash Ace
Sorry, BigLord!

I've missed you guys, but been so busy with life and other shenanigans that I didn't have much time to work on this.

I can say that the game is done for now!

http://www.supersmashland.com/

For those of you who have played the beta, you should notice some bug fixes, a new message system for submitting endless scores, unique songs for all stages thanks to flashygoodness , and some other small fixes. That means nothing huge since the Beta and your save files should all still work.

That being said, I think I might move Smash Land into its next phase of life, and that is basically going to take place here on Smashboards. The first stage will last a few months. Probably until a little before Christmas. I am going to search through and fix all the tiny little bugs and just really polish up the engine. I am going to fix the problems with the engine like dash attacking on slopes being weird. Then I am going to also fix up my code. Simplify it and start commenting it.

Around X-mas, I want to release the Smash Land editable with a relatively easy system for adding characters stages and possibly more. Before that I want to have a fully balanced fun game that can sit online unaltered. Of course the timeframe for this is not set in stone as I have a full-time job now, but this is my desire for the game.

Hopefully over the next few months, I can get some more comments about things that should be updated / fixed and suggestions. I can probably have flashy stick around to do sound effects as well if we still need those.

I was also thinking that people could start working on sprite sheets like Tetiro already has. Speaking of Tetiro, I feel really bad that I still haven't gotten back to him about Smash AI so I will try to message him when I get a chance. Getting surgery this weekend so I might have some computer time if I'm not laying down watching tv the whole time haha.

TLDR:
The Game is out! Trailer is out! It is here. I want to open it up Smash Land to community but first polish it. There is no timeframe but I am looking at christmas to put it into your hands.

-Dan

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You... want to release it open-source? COMPLETELY open-source?!

That's incredible! :grin:

The whole internet has already reacted to the game's release, if you didn't notice. Most comments I've read are either from people complaining about no online play, or people who ask about Controller support (I think you need to make sure people notice there is such a thing :facepalm:)

Also, I have to share this with you: the way this youtube LP plays throughout the whole classic mode using Kirby is just hilarious :rotfl:

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
[yt]WjZdoe_4zzE[/yt]
Uploaded for your listening pleasures, people!

4nace

Smash Ace
Yeah its works Segtendo. Especially since its a great song and I think people will really enjoy it and might go look for the game after.

There is also a soundtrack online for the hidden levels as well:
http://music.flashygoodness.com/album/super-smash-land-hidden-tracks

Anyways, the response to Smash Land has been huge. Which is great. People have mostly asked for two things: Online and Porting to either .gb or a mobile device. All 3 of those ideas would take much time and some help. I am contemplating looking for someone who is adept at online for Game Maker and possibly seeing how Smash Land could translate. That would happen before the community release, but if you guys here think that would be better, then I might go ahead and try to work it out. I think that would be the best way to increase the game's lifespan.

-Dan

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
^WE KNO RITE?!

Yes, I think online would probably be the best way to increase the replay value of the game. Not EXTREMELY necessary, but I'm sure people will love it.

What I'm saying is: if you have the time, then by all means try to work it out, 4nace!

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Oh a finished Smash fangame. I thought I'd never live up to this moment.

If there's no-one else willing to help with online mode, I could give it a try.

Pode

Smash Rookie
I cannot figure out how to unlock
Vaporeon. I've killed it multiple times in adventure mode and it still remained locked. I've spent hours on the silph stage in versus, and it NEVER appears there.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey Pode! Yes there was a glitch that prevented Vaporeon from being unlocked in Arcade Mode. A new version has been uploaded yesterday that fixes this. You can download the new version and just copy over the .exe and keep your SSL-D3.sav file. If you do not feel like getting her again, I have also put in a cheat that unlocks both characters:
At the select screen, you can press home then type in 'elementimals' and that will unlock both Megaman and Vaporeon.

But if you wanna unlock her honestly then go ahead and download it again from the same link. Sorry for this problem. I should put the update on supersmashland.com somewhere.

-Dan

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Great job Dan! I've been playing the game, and Megaman and Vaporeon are too good!

I noticed how with Link, I somehow "L-canceled" his down-air and I was pretty surprised. It happened once in a blue moon and I couldn't figure out how to do it consistently. Is there an L-cancel in this game or was that a freak accident?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
woah kdj

woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

And I love this game. So fun. Can't believe a Smash Bros fan game got completed lol. Great job Dan.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hey thanks KDJ and Anth0ny! As far as L-cancelling goes. Nope there isn't one in the game. BUT there is for just Link's DAIR but with the Attack Key and it has a very small frame opening (2 out of 60 frames IIRC). I did it more for a fun test in dev to see if it was possible to do consistently. Its not really, but it can make for some nice combo video stuff =P

-Dan

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
I believe it can be done consistently if you increase the frames a bit higher, similar to the L-cancel frames in Melee. For the lulz, you should have a Grandmaster edition, adding in more hitstun and Z-cancelling like 64 (no recovery frames if Z-cancelled).

Dimitris

Smash Ace
This is sick. I'll tell people about this. Did you advertise this in the Melee/64 section?

4nace

Smash Ace
Nope. Haven't really advertised around Smashboards. And Korean, thats actually not a bad idea. Could be a fun build. Right now though, I am cleaning up all my code and separating out the character specific stuff to a total of 4-5 scripts. (Which could make making new characters pretty easy perhaps).

But once I am done with that I am going to do some balance stuff so might as well play around with a faster speed, lag cancelling, combo inducing ownage build =P. Definitely wouldn't hurt. Hell, maybe i'll program it into the engine with a one button switch.

Anyways. I am cleaning the code and I will put out 1.1 eventually. Flashygoodness has some good ideas for menus and stuff to make them coolor. Also I found a candidate I like for online but haven't heard back from him yet.

-Dan

Ultimortal

Smash Rookie
Sorry I haven't given feedback in a long time. The game's really developed into something great, and besides balance (I don't have anyone to play with right now so I can't comment on it) I only have one critiscism - I wish the game would tell you the requirements for unlocking stuff, such as displaying a little bar of text while hovering your cursor over something that is locked. I see the most common question about the game is how to unlock things, so it's worth considering.

I'll try to get back to this game with my friends now that it's complete. Also the four-legged hidden character is one of my old favourites! :)

Edit: Oh yeah, in the version I recently downloaded, when I change the controls it says "press F2 to cancel", but F2 instead changes Pikachu's forward ground attack.

4nace

Smash Ace
Sorry I haven't given feedback in a long time. The game's really developed into something great, and besides balance (I don't have anyone to play with right now so I can't comment on it) I only have one critiscism - I wish the game would tell you the requirements for unlocking stuff, such as displaying a little bar of text while hovering your cursor over something that is locked. I see the most common question about the game is how to unlock things, so it's worth considering.

I'll try to get back to this game with my friends now that it's complete. Also the four-legged hidden character is one of my old favourites! :)

Edit: Oh yeah, in the version I recently downloaded, when I change the controls it says "press F2 to cancel", but F2 instead changes Pikachu's forward ground attack.
Hey Ultimortal! Great to see you back on smashboards! So i've been really busy with work and stuff but I have been fixing many of the bugs that people have brought up, including that F2 bug! I plan to release a build 1.1 that solves bugs and some of the balance issues. As for the text for unlocking things. I had thought about it, but I remember how in the original smash and in melee, I had no idea how to unlock things and ended up getting most of them by just playing. I thought it was fun to just poke around and see what happens. But since this game does have a more PC/Online presence then it may make more sense to do that.... Hmmm...

But yeah! Let me know what you find balance-wise if you play with your friends again! I found a programmer willing to do some online porting so we'll see if we can get going on an online versus mode perhaps =)

Also, if youre a fan of smash land then head over here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13417416
And give this man some love for his hard work! I wish I had a wii (used to play on my college roommate's) so I can play these myself.

Also thanks [TSON]! I thought ToH would be a great fit since it inspired me to make something gameboy style in Game Maker!

Also there has been more discussion happening here: http://www.facebook.com/supersmashland

Thanks,
Dan

Top Bottom