• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super smash Kart? Would it work?

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!: I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Because this is basically a spin-off of Brawl, I thought I should post it here.

NOW, the actual post:

With Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl taking the world by storm, I just got the strange idea: take a Mario Kart game, and give all the chars of Brawl, makes a ton of tracks based on stages of in Brawl, put Brawl's Items in it and give it the "2 characters per Kart" mechanic of "Double dash!"!.

In basics, "Super smash Kart".

Could this work? Giving it Mario Kart Wii's Online would be excellent, and the stage creator from brawl would limitless track option's.

But that brings me back to the main question: Would it work?

Once again:I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Because this is basically a spin-off of Brawl, I thought I should post it here.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Interesting... but a track creator... jesus, that'd be really.... huge.... and complex.

Hehe, Captain Falcon would **** in a Mario Kart setting, he's used to driving over 1.5k miles per hour.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Err, I'd kill myself if this was true, lol. It wouldn't work, seriously.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I mean, it CAN work, but that doesn't guarantee it WILL happen.

(Also: character prostitution, I'm not a big fan of it)

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I saw this in EGM magazine, it sounds like a good idea, but Captain Falcons Blue falcon would be getting a much weaker engine, and lol, Link on epona racing Olimar riding on a sea of pikmin, it would work once, possibly twice, but would ruin Super Smashes image.
Too many Nintendo racing games may turn it into that disgusting slime known as Mario Party, which one just came out, Mario Party 37?

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
I saw this in EGM magazine, it sounds like a good idea, but Captain Falcons Blue falcon would be getting a much weaker engine, and lol, Link on epona racing Olimar riding on a sea of pikmin, it would work once, possibly twice, but would ruin Super Smashes image.
Too many Nintendo racing games may turn it into that disgusting slime known as Mario Party, which one just came out, Mario Party 37?
That's the one big problem, I know.

And , as amazing as it seems Mario party 8 came out.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Interesting... but a track creator... jesus, that'd be really.... huge.... and complex.

Hehe, Captain Falcon would **** in a Mario Kart setting, he's used to driving over 1.5k miles per hour.
What are you talking about? THAT would be just plain unfair. Captain Falcon, in order to give the racers a fighting chance, would have to get out of his vehicle and WALK through the race (Not run, just walk. Running would still be unfair, sort of like how he he restrained his Falcon Punch in Melee.)

...I can't stop imagining Marth as a double-dash partner for Peach if they used DD mechanics.

~rh

Smash Lord
It would work if extreme creativity was put into it. And I mean like, the top guns every franchise would have to come together to make this game decent. I would totally play it if that was the case.

ZSSamus

Smash Apprentice
It would probably work better than the new Mario-Kart, which is awful, honestly the N64 version is far better.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It would probably work better than the new Mario-Kart, which is awful, honestly the N64 version is far better.
WHAT?

I liked 64. Alot. But I fail to see what factor makes it superior to Double Dash and MKDS, and MK Wii.

MK Wii has an AMAZING online with no lag, you can race with 12, it actually has unlockable characters, etc.

Mk64 - It was hella fun, but it had - No unlockable characters

Only 16 stages (It wasnt the original, they could have used SNES stages

No CPUs in versus

etc. etc.

What makes it so amazing? (Besides the rainbow road music)

ZSSamus

Smash Apprentice
I just don't like the way it feels. Thinking about it, I think Double Dash is my favorite. The reason I love the original, is because of it's nostalgic value perhaps, not necessarily a technical thing but an emotional thing. I dunno... I miss my N64. :\

Steck

Smash Journeyman
maybe Game & Watch could ride on ROB's back- that's the only way I could see him being worked into the game- except as the guy holding the checkered flag maybe.

C. Falcon and Gannondorf would be on the same team for sure-father and son style

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
What is "Character Prostitution"? You mean something like advertising?
Character prostitution as in...putting characters in any (not to say ****ty) type of game.
Not everyone was glad Snake or Sonic were put in a Nintendo party game, if you know what I mean.

For example, if Link appeared in a KARTING GAME, hardcore fans will sure be pissed, I mean it's just ridiculous, it doesn't make sense.

roy_owns

Smash Lord
I had a topic like this a long time ago this is what I thought for the characters (I added the ones that werent confirmed at the time)

Mario: Red Fire
Luigi: Poltergest 3000
Peach: Heart Coach
Bowser: Koopa Clown Car
Donkey Kong: Rambi
Diddy Kong: Expresso
Yoshi: Just Run? (You think of something better)
Wario: Wario Bike
Link: Epona
Zelda/Sheik: A horse I guess...
Ganondorf: Beast Ganon
Toon Link: Pegasus Boots?
Samus: Starship
Pit: Fly
Ice Climbers: No clue.
R.O.B: Turns into the Ancient Minister
Kirby: Warp Star
Meta Knight: Fly
King Dedede: Rides a Wheelie
Olimar: A wave of Pikmin or the Hocotate Ship
Fox: LANDMASTER
Falco: Arwing
Wolf: Wolfen
Captain Falcon: Blue Faclon
Pikachu: Rides on a Voltorb?
Pokemon Trainer: Charizard
Lucario: Rides a Magnezone?
Jigglypuff: Rides a Ponyta?
Marth: I guess a horse
Ike: ^
Ness: I wouldn't know.
Lucas: ^
Mr. Game & Watch: ^
Snake: Shagohog
Sonic: Runs

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
Snake would drive the Shagohod, lololol

(yes, I know the the Snake in Brawl is not the one from MGS3, but it's a ****ing kart racing game)

Kirye

Smash Ace
How is the new Mario Kart awful? >.>

Everyone's been beating on the game because the CPUs pummel you more often now. The game itself is amazing, i've been playing it off and on since I got it, and it's one of those games that's just racing and nothing else!

I think people need to stop taking IGN/Gametrailer/whatever's lines and actually play the game and enjoy it. Even if the Wii Wheel isn't the greatest thing, it doesn't dwindle a game's creativity and fun factor *And no, I actually do use the Wii Wheel more than the GC control*.

Plus this game has a ranking system and the tournament thing, something very few Nintendo titled Wii games have been able to achieve. Brawl very included. =p

Anyways. The idea this thread represents, I think it depends on how well it was developed. Smash Bros. is great because it's supposed to be a game where every character from every franchise fights it out to be the best. But seeing Link racing against Mario while Samus is behind them shooting yellow shells? Eeh.. If it was to be done, they'd have to do a REALLY good job. Because Smash characters were picked out from their games because they look to have fighting potential, the same would have to be done for this game, and uh.. I don't think Ganondorf fits the racing scene. XD

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
This is what the game might be like IF it were made.

Items:
Red Shell/Green Shell (same functions as in Kart)
Bomb Omb (same as in Kart)
Banana Peel (again)
Mega/Mini Mushrooms (self explanatory)
Invinceability Star (again)
Screw Ball- Causes your character to roll into a "screw ball" shape dealing damage to any in his/her way and also going slightly faster.
Pitfall- Lays a trap that causes any foe who runs into it to fall into a hole.
Unira- Throws a Unira on the ground (basically does the same thing as in Brawl, except it can't be re-picked up and doesn't disarm itself until someone runs into it.)
Ray Gun- Your character picks up a ray gun (or their ride is armed with one). This ray gun has 5 shots. Each shot also causes a loss of 10% ride integrity.
Spicy Hot Curry- You are surrounded by fire, damaging any opposing rides near you.
Motion Sensor Bomb- Lay a trap. The next person (friend of foe) to run into this trap loses 50% ride integrity.
(Just a few item examples)

Smash Ball- Your character uses their Final Smash the next time B is pressed.
(Just a few examples)
Ike- Great Aeither, throws the sword way forward and quickly charges all the way to it. The sword causes a loss of 50% ride integrity to anyone hit.
Marth- Critical hit- Slashes forward, causing a 100% loss of ride integrity to any hit.
Roy (Yes he should be in this)- Flare Blade- Slashes forward (after 3 seconds) causing a massive explosion causing any hit to lose 100% ride integrity.

This game would be different from Mario Kart in that it would have much longer races and introduce a Ride Integrity system. This is a health bar put on each vehicle (how much is based on weight). The light-weight rides have 100%, while medium have up to 125%, and heavy have up to 150%. Each character can deal damage with an auto-attack (d-pad in the direction you want) on the Wii-Wheel, though items and specials hurt far worse. The strength, recharge, and reach of an attack is based on your character. The sheild can be used to stop damage to the ride (but has its own integrity of 100%.) Press the A button to deploy the sheild (can be held).
When ride integrity reaches 0, the damaged player auto-stops in place, and a pit crew (from their own game) comes to repair their vehicle (takes 10 seconds).
Here are the pit crews:
Ike/Roy/Marth- Soldiers/Mercenaries
Olimar- Pikmin
Fox/Falco/Krystal- Slippy Toad
Wolf- Robots (Not R.O.B.)
R.O.B.- A crew of R.O.B.s
Link- His "girlfriend" from Twilight Princess
Toon-Link- Tetra?
Peach/Luigi/Mario/Wario- A crew of toads
Bowser- A crew of Koopas
Yoshi- A crew of Yoshis
Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong- The other kongs
Any Poke'mon Character- A crew of the many... many Nurse whats her name
Pit- Palutena's army crew
Samus/Zero Suit Samus- A crew of Chozos or the Moth People from Metroid Prime 2
Zelda- Some soldiers
Sheik- Repairs her own ride.
Game & Watch- Some other Game & Watches.
Ganondorf- He's the king of evil.... he'll find something
Falcon- A pit crew (hes a racer... do I need to say more)
Meta-Knight- A crew of the Meta-Knights
Kirby- The split kirbys from Amazing Mirror
King D3- A crew of Waddle-Dees and Waddle Doos
The different crews are just for appearance. They have the same repair speed.

Controls: (Assuming Wii-Wheel) *Based off of Mario Kart Wii
1- Brake
2- Accelerate
B- Use item (including Final Smash)
A- Sheild
D-Pad- Auto-Attack (performed in the direction pressed, acts like a tilt)
Shake Wii-Wheel- Taunt
+ Button- Pause

I didn't include each characters ride because an above poster already did.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Ice Climbers would ride on a glacier. The irony is that it would be the fastest kart in the game.

Zixion

Smash Cadet
I thouht of it, each character would have it's own kart

Falcon: Blue Falcon
Kirby:Dragoon
Mario: Bill Bala/ Chomp
Samus: Samus's ship
Olimar: The rocket
Toon Link: Baloo? Any kind of ship?
Pokemon Trainer: Charizard
Metaknight: Is halberd too big?
Falco/Fox: Arwing Landmaster!
Wolf: Wolfen Lanmaster!
Diddy/Donkey Kong: Barrel
Pit: Fly
Ice Climbers: The purple bird
Bowser: The Koopa helicopter
Link: The annoying owl/Epona
DEdede: Waddle dees cloud or something?

However, characters like marth, ike or ganondorf wouldnt have a propper vehicle

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
The idea is uninspired and lame. Smash Bros has already done this, so taking game characters and slapping them into the genre of your choice isn't inventive, if that's the premise of your pitch.

(Mario Kart 64) What makes it so amazing?
Mario Kart 64 has relatively few gimmicks. "Keep It Simple, Stupid." You get some amazing things in the game, like just barely jumping over a banana peel, taking a corner around the block fort at the last second to avoid a red shell, spacing and maximizing your boosts is key until you find the right loadout, which plays a drastic role on where you should drive to.

It's just a lot of fun and the soundtrack doesn't make you feel like you're a 6 year old.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Remembering the last racing game Sakurai worked on (Kirby's Air ride) I'd run like hell away from it.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
I wouldn't buy this this game because I am a Smash fan, but because I am a Nintendo fan. However, I personally would prefer Super Smash Strikers Soccer. That's just me though.

Top Bottom