• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

D

Deleted member

A little late on this, but the poll to decide what Round 6 will be is up. You may notice that there are a few differences in it from the previous polls besides just adding another option to vote for. That's because now that Smash Switch has been announced for release this year (which is pure freaking HYPE by the way) we'll be focusing on trying to get rounds likely to have stages announced soonest out of the way as soon as we can while still keeping a variety of voting options.

While a stage someone would want to submit getting into the game first is a win in it's own right there is still a bit of a sigh to be left at such a scenario. I'm sure Kevandre Kevandre and TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict in particular remember the old contest like this one and it's Handheld Pokemon round where someone submitted N's Castle as an Idea only for Unova Pokemon League to be officially revealed before the round even ended (and the joke reply a judge left of "so this guy just wins automatically right" =P).

Here are the changes made to the poll.

1. The Mario RPG round we had available for voting before is taking a back seat. There are still plans for that round but I only want one Mario related category in the polls at a time and based on the new criteria Mario Kart seems like it should be done first.

2. Zelda and Sonic have had their Handheld system only restrictions removed and are now focused on games from those series in general. This makes it easier for people who just glance at the polls without noticing the details explained for those rounds to know that games like Breath of the Wild and Sonic Mania are allowed.

3. Taking the place of Retro stages now that it's become round 5, our brand new voting option is Donkey Kong Stages.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
I'm sure Kevandre Kevandre and TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict in particular remember the old contest like this one and it's Handheld Pokemon round where someone submitted N's Castle as an Idea only for Unova Pokemon League to be officially revealed before the round even ended (and the joke reply a judge left of "so this guy just wins automatically right" =P).
Oh yeah, I remember that! I also remember the guy who submitted a Duck Hunt stage before the real one was officially announced. (his had almost the exact same layout and gimmick, too!) Good times!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yeah, that was awesome. It's the kind of thing I'd super love to see happen again with this contest

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
GAMEBOY GALLERY
Contest 5 p1.png
This stage is based around the Gameboy, or more specifically, some of the games playable on the system. In total, there are 5 different games the stage can use. The stage randomly swaps games every minute. For the first 5 seconds of the match, it's on the Gameboy startup screen, similar to the 3ds Kirby Stage. First off is

Super Mario Land 2
Contest 5 p2.png
Though the picture doesn't show it, the SML2 section of the stage is actually an autoscroller through the first level of the game! There's not actually much more to it. Here's a video of the whole stage (Not mine) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLx5YtHQVT4. Like Mushroomy Kingdom from SSBB, the enemies don't appear.

Pokémon
Contest 5 p3.png
Next up is the title Screen from the Gen I Pokémon games! For this stage, you fight on the sprites of Red and the Pokémon next to him (The Pokémon logo is a background element. Every 10 seconds, the Pokémon on the left changes randomly to another Pokémon's R/B sprite.

Dr. Mario
This part of the layout comes from the Gameboy port of Dr. Mario! Like in the game, Megavitamins fall constantly, creating new platforms! If a Megavitamin falls on you, you take 10% damage, and if you're close to them when they disappear, you take 16%. On to some more colorful stages

Pokémon Trading Card Game
This part of the stage takes place inside a match in the Pokémon TCG! You stand on the two opposing Pokemon Every 15 seconds, one of the Pokémon attack in alternating order! They are...

• . Hitmonchan makes 3 fists appear that home in on the other Pokémon. The first two do 10%, and the second does 20% to anyone caught in the crossfire.
  • Scyther does Swords Dance. Anyone standing on the platform while this is happening has their attack power increased by x1.4.
  • Electaabuzz sends out a shockwave that stuns anyone close to it's platform for 2 seconds.
  • Blastoise makes the stage rainy and slick, making the platforms have sliding physics.
  • Imakuni!?'s Doduo does... nothing. It's a little less likely to appear then the other 4.
Mario Tennis
Lastly is a stage from Mario Tennis. You stand on the net. You need to avoid the birdie the tennis players throw around.Getting hit results in 10% damage.

This stage cant be used in 8 player smash. The Omega form takes place on the Gameboy logo. Like the 3ds Kirby stage, you can change the color of the 3 monochrome Game Boy stages. Like in the Flat-Zones, zooming out reveal you're fighting on a Game-Boy! This stage is unlocked by getting al the Masterpieces.

Music List

SML2 Main Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdESE94vQwg

Pokémon Title Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqiVmyAl-VI

Dr. Mario Fever Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXHVg4U6dvk

Battle Theme (PTCG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHqisfjEEJw

Mario Tennis Exibition Court
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESL7y-pTPEQ

(The previous and next 5 songs can be chosen indivendually or as part of the "Gameboy Melody" or "Modern Melody", respectfully. The melodies play the song in their respective part, but the individual songs are played through the whole match)

Overworld Theme (Super Mario 3D Land)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuKqO6J9gKk

Title Theme (Pokémon Sun/Moon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvKtHflrQdI

Dr. Mario (Super Smash Bros Melee)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9N8egk-3Oo

Battle Theme (Pokémon Trading Card Game Online)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl_s7LhoX5M

Classic Tennis (Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A8ZwOT0_X8
Notes: This stage spent awhile in the oven. I got the rough idea from back when the 3DS Kirby Stage was announced, but we didn't know it wasn't just Dream Land. Some games that I considered but didn't make the cut were Tetris and Link's Awakening.

While a stage someone would want to submit getting into the game first is a win in it's own right there is still a bit of a sigh to be left at such a scenario. I'm sure Kevandre Kevandre and TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict in particular remember the old contest like this one and it's Handheld Pokemon round where someone submitted N's Castle as an Idea only for Unova Pokemon League to be officially revealed before the round even ended (and the joke reply a judge left of "so this guy just wins automatically right" =P).
Whoa, that sounds crazy, I wish I was there to see it (Or will be here to see it happen again).

Another question, will/when will we see old round ideas put back in the polls?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

will/when will we see old round ideas put back in the polls?
Zelda and Sonic are keeping their handheld system only limitations removed. That one's permanent. As for Mario RPG's, Like I said I only want one Mario related category in the polls at a time. We've already had our Mario Platformer round and since I think Mario Kart stages will be getting revealed for Smash Switch the soonest I'm putting a focus on that one right now.

But of the remaining Mario related categories after that, Mario RPG's will come back once Mario Kart has become a round.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Zelda and Sonic are keeping their handheld system only limitations removed. That one's permanent. As for Mario RPG's, Like I said I only want one Mario related category in the polls at a time. We've already had our Mario Platformer round and since I think Mario Kart stages will be getting revealed for Smash Switch the soonest I'm putting a focus on that one right now.

But of the remaining Mario related categories after that, Mario RPG's will come back once Mario Kart has become a round.
I meant will we ever have repeat rounds, such as another Mario or Modern Kirby?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope Fire Emblem stages are a poll option sometime soon. I've got tons of ideas for that. :p

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I hope Fire Emblem stages are a poll option sometime soon. I've got tons of ideas for that. :p
I've barely played FE, so I probably don't have much room to speak, but FE seems like it would be in one of those 3 Series Mixes. FE is pretty niche, and I don't know how many potential stages it could offer. Even if it does have lots of stage ideas, Splatoon (An incredively competitive game that's pouring out stage ideas) was put into one. Like I said, I've only played the beginning of Awakening and a very tiny bit of FE7, so I don't have a good grip on the series, it just seems to me that it's for the best if it's in the 3 Series Mix.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I've barely played FE, so I probably don't have much room to speak, but FE seems like it would be in one of those 3 Series Mixes. FE is pretty niche, and I don't know how many potential stages it could offer. Even if it does have lots of stage ideas, Splatoon (An incredively competitive game that's pouring out stage ideas) was put into one. Like I said, I've only played the beginning of Awakening and a very tiny bit of FE7, so I don't have a good grip on the series, it just seems to me that it's for the best if it's in the 3 Series Mix.
Play more Awakening, man. Game changed my life.

AND IT'S BECAUSE OF THE FIRST STAGE CONTEST THAT I EVEN PLAYED IT

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Play more Awakening, man. Game changed my life.

AND IT'S BECAUSE OF THE FIRST STAGE CONTEST THAT I EVEN PLAYED IT
I'm pretty sure that your playing it (and subsequently saying that it was amazing) was what finally made me play it too. And yeah, Awakening was awesome (and in my opinion, so was Fates, though that's supposedly more debatable).

Basically what I'm saying is this stage contest changes lives.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm pretty sure that your playing it (and subsequently saying that it was amazing) was what finally made me play it too. And yeah, Awakening was awesome (and in my opinion, so was Fates, though that's supposedly more debatable).

Basically what I'm saying is this stage contest changes lives.

I should probably do another run of it... lol. It's truly ascended to my #1 favorite game, probably.

I do like Fates a lot too, in some ways it was better and some ways it was worse. SoV definitely didn't offer me the same experience though, I never even finished it. Here's to hoping FE Switch has child units and such, that's the main draw for me. Orchestrating those families... Aw yiss

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 4 Grades!

psb123's Grades:

Pokemon Mini by Russell_SSB:

Iconic Status: 1/5

Back in the day it might have had something going for it but even then it seems like something only a few kids had. And unlike a handful of old school things from Nintendo Franchises, this doesn't seem very memorable. It just kind of faded out of peoples memory.

Originality: 6/10

It's a lot like Dream Land from the 3DS game with a handful of Flat Zone 2 like elements. Neither is a stage we've seen a lot of, and this stage being based on a niche product from the franchises past helps it a little bit. But I don't see a lot of originality going on here.

Playability: 1/10

Dream Land from the 3DS game had a very annoying screen crunch when not played in Omega Form. This stage looks like it has one too and there are too many hazards that are too powerful.

Overall Score: 8/25

Kanto Gym by Kevandre:

Iconic Status: 5/5

It's a stage that cycles through the Gyms of Gen 1. The over-arching goal of every Pokemon game that has them from the debut of the series. Of course it would get a perfect iconic score.

Originality: 9/10

It does use the same gimmick as the Pokemon Stadium stages which works pretty well for this idea. And while it does do things that the Stadium stages don't it's still pretty similar to stages that use a very common element for Pokemon Stages. It would be nice to see something new every once in a while.

Playability: 9/10

The battle between the Bulbasaur line and Gym leader Pokemon might get in the way a little bit. Especially since some Pokemon would practically force you to be off the main platform. But it doesn't sound too terrible.

Overall Score: 23/25

Ultra Deep Sea by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status:

Iconic Status: 4/5

Probably the most recognizable Ultra Space Location since it was in Sun & Moon in addition to Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon and was the home of the Mother Beast battle in the former. Which is a very memorable battle because of how unique it is.

The only problem I have with it is that it's just an Ultra Space Location by itself. I think for a Sun & Moon stage to have a perfect iconic score while involving Ultra Space it needs to have a mix between it and regular Island locations.

Originality: 10/10

The stage has rare things the springs the bulbs function as, it uses it's boss hazard in a unique way, and it incorporates the changing layout that only one stage so far has used. That being Mario Maker.

Playability: 7/10

The boss, while not the worst I've heard of, does have potential to annoy players a little too much. And it sounds hard to avoid it since you can't pass through the upper platforms.

Overall Score: 21/25

Terrera by PeridotGX

It sounds like a very notable location from Conquest and on a personal level a Conquest stage is something I would love to see. But being a one-shot spin-off that pre-dates even Gen 6 does sadly force me to take a point off here.

The Banners and what they can do plus all the other elements revolving around them are what gave you this score for originality.

Playability: 8/10

You made a lot of effort to balance this stage and it did not go unnoticed. Even so, there are two things that I think need to be tweaked. For one, the Windstorms and Gallade seem like they should be tied at both of them having a 2/4 chance of appearing just to balance the banners a little better.

I'm also not too keen on how the Groudon Colored Towers are placed. Their height and placement, while making getting to the banners a challenge as it should be, make KOing opponents from the sides too difficult. If you made the towers small enough to where they don't completely block off the sides and could sit in the top corners with the banners it would have helped your score.

Overall Score: 22/25

Interdream Zone by Salcan:

Despite the main setting of a real world desk it does transition into Dream World locations from Gen 5. I'm pretty sure the Dream Radar saw enough use to where a good amount of people who played Gen 5 will remember it. Not quite enough for a perfect score but pretty close.

The use of such an unexpected Gen 5 feature and the unique setting it brings would have certainly led to a perfect score. The only thing that held you back from that was that the Pokemon that appear in the dream zones do the exact same things they do as Pokeball pokemon which you can get on any stage. If they did different stuff you would have had a perfect score here.

Playability: 10/10

That was a long bio with a lot to go over. But going through it all, I honestly didn't see any hazards that would hinder the fight too much. Obstacles are there sure but they sound pretty manageable.

Ecruteak City by Cirucit_Breaker_64:

Ho-oh, the legendary beasts, and the story surrounding them is the biggest stand alone plot setting of Gen 2 and this is where it is honored in game.

The gimmick of a legendary pokemon appearing in the background to use their powers on the stage works pretty well for this idea. But it is something that Pokemon Stages do pretty often. Not a super big deal but it would be nice to see some new types of pokemon stages.

The fog obstructing the view of certain parts of the stage seems unnecessary. Suicune and Raikou's hazards also seem a little tricky to deal with. Other than that this stage seems fine in playability.

Cosmic77's Grades:

"Pokemon Mini" by Russell_SSB:

Gonna be honest here; I had completely forgot this even existed. If I, a total Nintendo nerd, have trouble recognizing this, imagine how an amateur gamer would feel.

I'll be a little less critical here and point out that the use of minigames was very unique. We haven't seen anything like that since WarioWare.

Playability: 4/10

The minigames were unique, but trying to avoid that many obstacles in a confined space seems very difficult. I think it might have been best if you just dropped the whole screen concept entirely, just so players could have a better time seeing the minigames.

Overall Score: 14/25

"Kanto Gym" by Kevandre:

Not exactly a specific location. Nevertheless, Melee and Brawl both made a generic Pokémon stadium that seemed iconic. So long as you have a Poke Ball in the center of the stage, I think this qualifies as iconic.

Originality: 7/10

I really like idea of fighting in the middle of a Pokémon battle. The use of different gym leaders/Pokemon was also really unique, and I think giving the Pokémon different attacks and letting Bulbasaur evolve was a nice touch.

My only complaint is that this feels like a third generic Pokémon Stadium but with a different gimmick. Feels like this could have easily been corrected if you had the layout of the background change to match the actual gyms seen in the games (Misty's gym could look like a large indoor swimming pool, etc.). In other words, I think you should have based this off real locations rather than just a stage made specifically for Smash.

I'm glad you took the time to clarify the limitations of the Pokémon and the ability to KO them, because otherwise I would've given you a lower score. Still, it feels like a lot is going on in this stage that could distract the players.

Overall Score: 20/25

"Ultra Deep Sea" by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status:

Not the most iconic place you could choose from Sun and Moon, but since the game had a huge emphasis on Ultra Beasts, I think this represents the game well enough.

The way the stage boss functions is a nice callback to what happened with Nihilego and Lusamine in the games, and Nihilego's ability to attach and control characters is especially cool. We haven't seen that before.

I also like the use of the weird bulbs and pillars. This stage gives off a very eerie and creepy vibe that matches the stage boss you chose.

The amount of damage Nihilego deals is a little excessive, as just 10 seconds would add up to 30%. I think that could possibly ruin the stage boss for many. Keeping the damage to just 1 or 2% and amplifying the "possessed" effects seems like a better way to deal with this boss.

"Terrera" by PeridotGX

Iconic Status: 2/5

As much as I love it, Conquest is pretty obscure. Don't know if many people would remember it.

Love the idea of players scrambling around to capture banners so they can heal. That brings up many different playstyles for this stage, especially with teams. It also does a fantastic job of representing Conquest.

None of the gimmicks are too annoying or pose a threat to players, so I didn't deduct points for them. Unfortunately, the towers makes KOs very difficult to achieve. If you would have clarified that the walls of the towers were not solid and that only the tower's roof was a semi-solid platform players could stand on, then you would have gotten a perfect "Playability" score from me.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Interdream Zone" by Salcan:

Iconic Status: 3/5

I don't really think this is too iconic, but I'll meet you halfway since the game takes place in a real world setting with various Pokémon memorabilia in the background.

You REALLY wanted to make this stage original, didn't you? From the 3DS screen to the desktop, almost everything here is 100% unique.

Playability: 10/10

I read through the entire thing and... There's not really any obstacles or gimmicks that could get in the way. Even the layout of the stage is pretty standard.

"Ecruteak City" by Cirucit_Breaker_64:

A little older than what I would've liked to have gotten from a new Pokémon stage, but Ecruteak City is probably one of the most iconic places in Johto.

Originality: 6/10

The gimmick has already been used in multiple Pokémon stages already, and you reused a lot of Pokémon already featured in Smash as Poke Ball items. I'll at least give you credit for using a few new Pokémon and adding unique attacks.

Don't see a real reason to make the fog that excessive. It really shouldn't be able to obstruct THAT much from view.

The Pokémon attacks would probably occasionally get in the way, but they aren't too crazy I suppose. At least I already have an idea of how they could work, thanks to you reusing a few already present in Smash.

Overall Score: 18/25

8-bit Man's Grades:

Pokemon mini

Iconic Status

1/5

I've never even heard of this and it honestly sounds like a cheap cash grab

Originality

6 / 10

I'm just getting too much Wario Ware vibes from this, and while the obstacles are different, they don't sound different in a good way

Playabilty

4 / 10

Those hazards sound way too powerful. Like, way too powerful

Pokemon Gym

Iconic Status

5 / 5

Pokemon Gyms are a big part of Pokemon and you were able to implement iconic Pokemon used by the Gen 1 gym leaders and Pokemon battle scene is awesome

Originality

8 / 10

You lose points for two things, the battlefield layout and Reds Pokemon. While it was nice to his Pokemon evolve, I don't think it's smart to have a previously playable Pokemon as a hazard. And I would have just liked to see him use more Pokemon. But I love everything else

Playabilty

7 / 10

Most of the Pokemon don't sound that bad, but Magmar sounds very annoying and I think Nidoking and Alakazam could have used a bit more information, the way Alakazam is described makes him sound too strong

Ultra Deep Space

Iconic Status

3 /5

While the location of the Lusamine showdown gives it some points, I feel like there are better options in the game and location itself doesn't really anything that really catches the eye to make it truly stand out. But overall not bat

Originality

8 / 10

I like how it changes and it's nice to have bouncy things, Nihiligo sounds unique

Functionality

7 / 10

It's sounds OK to play on, probably not something I'd actively go after though

Terrera

Iconic status

2 / 5

I admit, I know very little of Pokemon Conquest, but when you have all of Pokemon, nothing from this is exactly going to be iconic

Originality

10/ 10

Very creative, love the flag system.

Functionality

6 / 10

For functionality, my issue is with the walls, I don't like stages with high walls like that, I applaud you for including lifts but I'm not sure it'll entirely fix the issue

Interdream Zone

Iconic Status

2 / 5

You based it on two things, both side elements of an old Gen, 1 was just some E’Shop title, the other a PC game that can't be played anymore, although this did bring back some memories

Originality

10 / 10

Fully deserving of the ten out of ten score. Well thought out and never done before.

Functionality

8 / 10

Pokeball is one of my favourite items, the stage layout is simple enough and I think large enough to help deal with all the Pokemon. Obviously the stage sounds frantic so its not a perfect score, but it still sounds enjoyable

Ecruteak City

Iconic Status

3 / 5

Home to Bell/Brass Tower and the burned tower, it's a memorable place. But you didn't seem include some of its more iconic elements, where’s Ho-oh? Why are the beast on Brass Tower (which would be too tall for them to be seen clearly on) instead of Burned tower, I mean if Entei has to jump onto stage from there, that's a really big jump

Originality

7 / 10

It's got some decent small detail, like the day night, fog. And the beast makes it a bit more interesting

Playability

7 / 10

First of all, stage layout shouldn't be in extra stuff, it should be the main focus of you post.

Second it sounds simple enough, obviously the beast prevent a perfect score, I'm left unsure if the building platforms, like if they're to be solid, or if it's like the middle building in Onett where you just fight on the front of it but can still go to the main platform below.

Oddball's Grades:

"Pokemon Mini" by Russell_SSB:

It's not very iconic. At all. The mini feels more like a small niche thing than anything that really represents the series as a whole.

Originality: 8/10
A bit Game-and-Watch, a bit Warioware. It's a nice combination, and I have to give you extra points just for bringing out something so obscure.

This stage sounds crazy, in a good way. The Pokemon provide some interesting variation bound to keep players on their toes. The only things I question are being stunned when the game changes and the size of the play field. A slightly larger arena might work better.

Overall Score: 16/25

"Kanto Gym" by Kevandre:

Pokemon stadiums are about as iconic as a Pokemon stage can get. On top of that, you're using the Kanto area and allowing Pokemon trainers to appear. This is about everything Pokemon can be.

A Final Destination style set-up with tons of possible level hazards? Characters fighting each other and not you're own characters? There's tons of personality here.

The level provides a nice layout for battles, the hazards are unique, easily avoidable, yet at the same time, I can also see how they could easily get in the way.

If I have any complaint, it's that the fighter's can't change their pokemon during battle.

"Ultra Deep Sea" by GolisoPower:

Iconic Status:

I suppose I should give it points for the Ultra Beast representation, but that's not ... and this might just be me, they feel more like Johnny-come-latelys than anything iconic to the series itself.

It feels dark and creepy, which is something I don't tend to think of when i think Poekmon, but it sounds wonderful here. The possession is also a nice ball back to a big event from the game.

Playability: 6/10
I have a hard time ranking this one without really knowing the layout of the platforms better, but the possession thing does feel like it could make for some unique battles.

Overall Score: 16/25

"Terrera" by PeridotGX

This is about as good a representation of Pokemon Conquest as you could do. Granted, it's not a hugely popular game, but it does have a fanbase.

Capture the flag in Smash bros? I don't think I've seen that before. It's a nice twist. Especially with the towers being so high up.

A nice level layout with a gimmick that changes the way battles are fought. I can see this level being a lot of fun with a whole bunch of players.

A desk in somebody's room isn't exactly iconic by any stretch of the imagination. Is Pokemon Dream radar? ... Honestly, I don't know that one. It does have some good backgrounds IN the computer though.

I'm going to give you a perfect score here, but this stage idea might just be a bit TOO unique. It really stretches the boundaries of what works in the game.

The level itself seems decent enough, but you sure went out of you way to make it feel complicated. I feel liked I'd need a walkthrough just to figure out how this stage works.

"Ecruteak City" by Cirucit_Breaker_64:

A classic area from a classic point in the series. No complaints here.

Originality: 4/10
The various gimmicks you've given the level just feel like retreads of things we've already seen from Pokemon stages.

It's perfectly playable. Nothing that would get in the way of standard combat, but no real huge thrills that would make it fun either.

Overall Score: 17/25

Total Scores:

Russell_SSB: 41 Points
Kevandre: 85 Points
GolisoPower: 78 Points
PeridotGX: 78 Points
Salcan: 85 Points
Circuit_Breaker_64: 75 Points

The Winner is.......
GREEN TEAM!!!!!

Based on Kevandre's status as an Ivysaur fan it felt right to say Green Team since he and Salcan tied for first =P
Anyhow, the winning stages.

Kanto Gym by Kevandre Kevandre

AND
Interdream Zone by S Salcan

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Ayyyyyy! Nice job, S Salcan ! As well as everyone else on that round, it was a good one!

One note for my stage, and I super know it's my own fault for not mentioning it. I had intended to make the stages look like the gyms themselves in the background and even had some textures on the original drafts for Brock and Misty's, but it didn't really look great so I just went with the badges themselves on the wall to differentiate as well as different floor colors. But it's totally all good, I'm pretty happy with that stage. :)

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone. Just leaving the standard reminder that Round 5 ends tomorrow. Later in the day tomorrow. But still tomorrow.

Salcan

Smash Rookie
Alright! Two ties in a row! (It's funny how my more standard stages lost and these completely wacky ones are the winners.)

Anyways, I don't have a stage for Round 5, (I started playing video games way after the cut-off.) so don't wait for me when it comes to that.

Yay, Sonic lost the "handhelds only" clause! That means I can use a super cool design I made based on a console game, and it comes with the return of rail grinding to boot!

And finally, some commentary about the judges' comments about my stage, the Interdream Zone. (I'm not requesting that my score should be changed, I just want to question some criticism and open up discussion. Also, changing scores would just cause an unnecessary hassle.)

psb123's Grades:

Interdream Zone by Salcan:

The use of such an unexpected Gen 5 feature and the unique setting it brings would have certainly led to a perfect score. The only thing that held you back from that was that the Pokemon that appear in the dream zones do the exact same things they do as Pokeball pokemon which you can get on any stage. If they did different stuff you would have had a perfect score here.
I understand that stages should do unique things so that they're interesting and provide a different experience compared to other stages. But after thinking over the issue you bring up for a while, I found that what you want from the stage (the Pokémon using different moves) would be impossible to provide without creating consequences that I don't like.

• The Pokémon from the Dream World use different moves compared to their Poké Ball equivalents.
If this were to happen, then two objects that look exactly the same would function differently. This would confuse players, which is bad and should be avoided.

For example, let's look at Electrode. Electrode in Smash Bros. uses the move Explosion. After a short while, Electrode explodes and deals out lots of damage and heavy knockback. It can be grabbed and thrown just before it explodes if an opponent is getting away. Sometimes it fizzles out and doesn't explode, but sometimes Electrode is just faking players out and explodes soon afterward. Unlike most Poké Ball Pokémon, Explosion affects the summoner too!

In Pokémon Dream World, Pokémon sometimes came with special moves. Voltorb from the Dream World had a chance of having the move Natural Gift, which it can't learn normally in Generation 5. (Unlike many of the moves Pokémon from the Dream World could've had, Voltorb still does not learn Natural Gift normally, which is why its the example.) When the Voltorb evolves into Electrode, it will keep Natural Gift. Let's adapt Natural Gift into Smash Bros. I'll say it consumes a nearby item, then releases a pulse around the user that looks different, has different range, does different damage and knockback, and has a different secondary effect depending on the consumed item.

Let's say that on the Interdream Zone stage, while Electrode from Poké Balls use Explosion, while Electrode from the Dream World use Natural Gift. Right away, there's an issue. Since most Pokémon look exactly the same as other Pokémon of that species, (Most, not all, and I can explain why Shiny forms can't be used.) a player could confuse a Poké Ball Electrode for a Dream World Electrode, or vice versa. If the player wanted to hide in Natural Gift, they could take an Explosion to the face! If they planned to throw Electrode at a Samus charging Charge Shot from a distance so that Electrode uses Explosion on Samus, they could find that they can't throw Electrode (because its a Dream World one) so Samus charges Charge Shot fully and uses it on the player as soon as Natural Gift ends. Both scenarios are not fun to be in, as the player gets hurt because what they expected would happen did not line up with what did happen and they physically could not figure out why. (Yes, one comes from a colored orb of light and the other is from a Pokéball, but it can be easy to lose track of items in a scuffle and the camera focuses on characters, not items, so the Electrode could have been off-screen for a bit.)

While I admit that Electrode is a rather convenient example, (as Explosion hurts the summoner) any case where the effect of an object is different and it isn't clear that the object will do a different thing is bad. (I'm not the biggest fan of Hammers and Golden Hammers, although I like the Super and Poison Mushrooms since they look different. If you pay attention, you'll never accidentally run into a Poison Mushroom when you wanted a Super Mushroom.)

I could make Pokémon from the Dream World look different, but that would be breaking canon for no real benefit. Fun fact: Pokémon from the Dream World couldn't be Shiny under any circumstances, and Shiny Pokémon never appear in Smash Bros. anyway. So that's out.

• Create new Pokémon for the Interdream Zone.
This doesn't have any problems on its own, but the moment the Interdream Zone is theoretically revealed as a stage, some people will complain, "The Dream World Pokémon on this stage are just like Poké Ball Pokémon, so why aren't they Poké Ball Pokémon?" I'd be one of them. Besides, making Pokémon models and attacks that only end up on one stage is silly when they could be easily made into Poké Ball Pokémon that can be used on every stage, so more fun is generated from the same amount of Pokémon models.

Also, the Interdream Zone is trying to reference as many areas of the Island of Dreams as possible, which means a large variety of Pokémon are needed for it to work. Piggybacking off of the Poké Ball Pokémon list is the most efficient way to get a large variety of Pokémon. (Saffron City, the stage with the most unique Pokémon, only has five Pokémon that appear. That's a bit small for the Dream World) Once the Poké Ball Pokémon are added to the stage, just having a couple of unique Pokémon would feel awkward as the unique Pokémon would feel like random additions to the list of Poké Ball Pokémon. (And making 21 unique Pokémon to balance it out would just be too much.)

• But aren't there stages that have unique Pokémon? Just make the new Interdream Zone Pokémon like those?
Those Pokémon aren't Poké Ball Pokémon because they have effects that Poké Ball Pokémon can't have (too powerful or affect the stage) or are legendary. I can prove this by going through every Pokémon stage.

Saffron City: The one hole in my argument, this stage has unique Pokémon that could have been Poké Ball Pokémon without issue. They are: Charmander, Electrode, Porygon, and Venusaur. (In fact, Electrode first appeared on this stage.) Oddly, only Saffron City has non-legendary unique Pokémon. It is rather old though, as it's from Smash 64, and it hasn't returned to Smash Bros. since.

Pokémon Stadium: No unique Pokémon.

Poké Floats: No unique Pokémon, although the platforms are shaped like Pokémon.

Pokémon Stadium 2: No unique Pokémon.

Spear Pillar: Brings in Dialga, Palkia, and Cresselia. Dialga and Palkia have far too many effects to just be regular Poké Ball Pokémon, and some of the attacks are just far too powerful for the role as well. (Palkia in Smash 4 only flips the screen upside down for a while, and does little damage and knockback.) Cresselia, considering it isn't even associated with Spear Pillar and its two attacks aren't all that strong, probably could have been a Poké Ball Pokémon.

Prism Tower: No unique Pokémon.

Unova Pokémon League: Reshiram and Zekrom joined the crew but just look at how powerful they are! Reshiram's flames cover large portions of the stage for long periods of time, and Zekrom's electricity has solid knock back and can even shift the stage itself! They definitely couldn't be Poké Ball Pokémon.

Kalos Pokémon League: Rayquaza, Ho-Oh, Registeel, and Manaphy appear here. Ho-Oh, Registeel, and Manaphy can't be Poké Ball Pokémon because they affect the actual stage. Rayquaza could be a Poké Ball Pokémon with little trouble, although I think he leans too close to Latios' and Latias' effect.

As it turns out, this analysis created some counterpoints rather than improving my argument, so I'll have to address those.

• Is having very powerful Pokémon on a stage a problem?
If I want to have a high "Playability" score, then having stage hazards that have significant strength is a problem. Thus, in order to win the contest it is best to avoid making powerful stage hazards.

• Couldn't this stage have a Legendary Pokémon?
Legendary Pokémon don't appear on the Island of Dreams outside of special events. While Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus all appeared in Pokémon Dream Radar, (and gained their Therian Formes in that game as well) including them would increase the complexity of an already complex stage, reduce the focus that the stage has on a single core concept, and likely weaken my "Playability" score.

• Why don't you just make some new Poké Ball Pokémon?
Poké Ball Pokémon are items, thus creating new Poké Ball Pokémon would be outside the bounds of this contest.

Oddball's Grades:

I'm going to give you a perfect score here, but this stage idea might just be a bit TOO unique. It really stretches the boundaries of what works in the game.

The level itself seems decent enough, but you sure went out of you way to make it feel complicated. I feel liked I'd need a walkthrough just to figure out how this stage works.
Admittedly, the Interdream Zone is a crazy idea, but almost everything it does has been done in an actual stage. Golden Plains has collectible currency that gives a benefit once enough is collected and Living Room takes place in a room resembling reality. Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, as well as Boxing Ring, have screens in the background that show images. Food attached to balloons float over Smashville and food is carried onto the stage by Propeller Shy Guys in Yoshi's Story and Fly Guys in Brawl's Yoshi's Island, like the Dream Clouds here. The anti-stalling mechanic draws from Jungle Hijinxs' Barrel Cannons and terrain types have been affecting traction since Icicle Mountain. Warioware Inc. invented the idea of interacting with a stage to get item based rewards, which was continued by Pac-Land, and many stages have taken place inside actual game consoles, like Flat Zone. Is it just the combination of all of these elements in one stage that makes this stage weird?

I'd like to point out that if a stage from this contest were real, people would play with the stage rather than read a long analysis of it. Thus a stage that looks complicated on paper would likely be much simpler in practice. (Especially for a stage like the Interdream Zone, where the aesthetics directly influence the mechanics. Looking at the stage would make it very easy to tell what is happening)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright everyone. Round 5 is now closed off. Hopefully the grades for it will be in by Sunday.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
A quick question, 'cause I'm curious: since the next round poll looks like it may end in a tie, how are ties broken? Do you guys just pick one, or is there some method to this that I'm unaware of?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A quick question, 'cause I'm curious: since the next round poll looks like it may end in a tie, how are ties broken? Do you guys just pick one, or is there some method to this that I'm unaware of?
No clue. We never had a tie before.

Although I voted for Metroid, I'm fine with either of the categories. If another user doesn't vote to break the tie (or if someone votes for "Sonic" and makes this a three-way tie), then I'd imagine either (1) the judges will take a vote, or (2) @psb123 will outright choose which category will win.

D

Deleted member

In the event of a tie I will just choose one category out of said tie to be the next round. Not that it currently matters since Zelda has taken the lead =P But voting isn't closed off until tomorrow morning so there's still time for Metroid to catch up. And I guess Sonic too but considering that one actually lost a vote I wouldn't count on it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
>Saw Metroid was winning
>Preemptively made a stage

>Saw Zelda was winning
>Preemptively made that stage too

Sonic better not surge ahead.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
>Saw Metroid was winning
>Preemptively made a stage

>Saw Zelda was winning
>Preemptively made that stage too

Sonic better not surge ahead.
Psh, just two preemptive stages? You need to step up your game man, I've already made a stage for every option on that list.*

...It's entirely possible that I have too much free time on my hands.

*Ok, that's not true, but I do have 4 stages pre-made, and solid ideas for the rest.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Psh, just two preemptive stages? You need to step up your game man, I've already made a stage for every option on that list.*

...It's entirely possible that I have too much free time on my hands.

*Ok, that's not true, but I do have 4 stages pre-made, and solid ideas for the rest.
That's what I like to hear.

D

Deleted member

It is now time for Round 6 to begin!

Winning the Poll at 9 votes our next round is.........

The Legend of Zelda

One of Nintendos most treasured and historic franchises and the one who's most recent game kickstarted the ever growing success of the Nintendo Switch. The Legend of Zelda has a wide range of games that offer players a good time and for the most part are canon to the series complicated timeline (if you view it as complicated anyway). So does that mean that every Zelda game ever is allowed? Well...........

1. No CDi games. I know that one should be obvious since those aren't even real Zelda games anyway but I still need to clarify it just in case people decide to troll.

2. No Tingle Games. We're trying to stick to the canon entries of the Zelda timeline so Japan only games that are a separate series starring a more minor character will not be eligible.

3. Hyrule Warriors however is allowed. I was actually on the fence about that one since it's a spin-off that's confirmed to be non-canon. But it was a good game and characters like Lana and Linkle have enough of a fan following as Smash Bros. suggestions to where I'll allow HW.

4. Link's Crossbow Training isn't banned per say. But it uses the same World and Link as Twilight Princess so you're probably better off sticking to TP.

Other than that though go nuts, from Breath of the Wild to stuff like Four Swords, everything not banned in the above statements is fair game.

And with that, on March 19th 2018, Round 6 has begun. You have until Friday March 23rd to submit stages.

Good Luck!

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Oh wow, I was not expecting that this early! A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

So back during the first stage contest, I made a very bold claim. I claimed that Phantom Hourglass was my favorite Zelda game, and heavily implied that A Link To The Past was my least favorite. It was mildly controversial at the time.

That was three years ago, however, and opinions change with time. While I still don’t particularly like ALttP, I suppose it wasn’t the worst Zelda game. In addition, not only did Breath of the Wild come along and blow every other game in the series out of the water, but I’m also willing to admit that Phantom Hourglass had some very big flaws.

I still really love that game though, so I’m not missing this chance to showcase it!

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Ghost Ship!

This turned out way too pristine looking, so just pretend that everything looks creepy and rotted.

Name of Stage:
Ghost Ship

Game of Origin:
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Description of Stage:
Now you might be thinking to yourself, “Wait a minute! That doesn’t look anything like a ship!” Well you see, this stage takes place on the interior of the Ghost Ship. A series of woven mesh panels make up the playable areas - four floating passable platforms (tilted inwards), and four more thicker panels merging to form one large base platform. Additionally, there is a wispy fog covering the entire stage. Not so much as to affect the match, just to add a little visual flair to the stage.

Gimmicks and Hazards of the Stage:
At first, the stage will remain in this base form. However, after about 15 seconds, two of the Cubus Sisters will appear. One of the sisters will start floating behind a random passable platform, while the other floats behind a random one of the four segments of the base platform. Then, after another 5 seconds...

...the platforms the sisters were floating behind will disappear! The Cubus Sisters can make any combination of platforms disappear, so long as one of them is a passable platform and one of them is a segment of the base platform. The stage will stay in this form for about 20 seconds. After that, the platforms will reappear, and the cycle will repeat.

Music:
Ghost Ship Medley ( Phantom Hourglass)
(“Ghost Ship Theme”, “Chasing the Ghost Ship”, and “Bellum and the Ghost Ship”.)​
Linebeck's Theme (Phantom Hourglass)
Bellum Battle (Phantom Hourglass)
Linebeck Battle (Phantom Hourglass)
Ganondorf Battle (Wind Waker)
Molgera Battle (Wind Waker)
Tower of Spirits (Spirit Tracks)
Final Battle: Protecting Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
Final Battle: Malladus (Spirit Tracks)

That’s it for this stage! I’m happy with how it turned out, so I hope you like it!

[While I'm at it, what's the status on the Retro Round results?]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

[While I'm at it, what's the status on the Retro Round results?]
2 of the 4 judges have submitted their grades. The other 2 have not yet. One I'm not sure of the circumstances on but the other has clarified that judging has become a chore for him. I've asked him to at least get grades in for Round 5 but after that I told him he won't have to worry about it anymore and that I'd find someone to take his place. A task I'm still working on though to be honest.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
this is gonna take a while for me to finish but
here's a sneak peak
View attachment 139065
..Well. This took the wind out of my sails a bit. Hopefully our stages aren't too similar.

Clocktown
(Majora's Mask)

This is a pretty big stage, based off of the home hub in Majora's Mask! It is large enough to be considered an 8-player-Smash stage, as well. Consisting of five total platforms. Seems relatively harmless, right?

As the clock in the middle ticks by, the stage even undergoes a day-night cycle! One minute consists of 24 hours.

So what happens if it gets to the third day?

Oh god why

Link and Zelda got launched to the side!
When the moon lands on the clock tower, it will stay there, burning for about ten seconds. You don't want to touch the moon, and in this state, it means you can't get to the other side of the stage, either. Consider it a violent reprieve from further violence. Weird, right?

After the ten seconds though, some friends come to help and push the Moon back out into the sky.

Extra Stuff
Like I said in the Retro Round, I've never been much of a Zelda fan. But Majora's Mask was always really interesting to me because it broke the formula so much. So I just had to do one based on this game in particular. I had considered a great many things for an MM stage, but in the end, Clocktown felt obvious.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Stage Name:

Hyrule/Lorule Castle

Origin:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Description:

The parallel worlds of A Link Between Worlds, Hyrule and Lorule are opposites of one another. Starting in the Hyrule side of the stage, this takes place on the roof of the castle. The main platform itself is similar to Peach’s Castle from Melee, with one exception: there are some background towers that serve as a soft platform, and on the left and right of the stage are towers arranged similarly to the watchtowers from Shadow Moses Island, but unlike those watchtowers, they are half as tall and they cannot be destroyed. These towers also serve as hard platforms and a means of wall-jumping. The second part of the stage, Lorule Castle, will be listed below.

Gimmicks and Hazards:

There is a second part of the stage unique to this particular stage: Lorule Castle. Lorule Castle isn’t as extravagant as Hyrule Castle, but still functions as if this were a separate stage. Lorule Castle itself is a smaller main platform with two Charizard-tall towers on opposite ends of the stage. There are also three towers that serve as other hard platforms with bridges in between that serve as soft platforms. Another part of this stage is Yuga. After a moment, Yuga will appear at one of three points: the center of the stage, the left of the stage and the right of the stage; and transform any fighters in a 3 Jigglypuff radius into paintings. When a fighter turns into a painting, they cannot do anything until the current stage changes, which fortunately is a short 5 seconds after Yuga casts the spell. Yuga will then create a rift on the stage that takes all fighters to the unused stage. A major feature of this stage switch is that any items that were in the stage when you switch will still be there when you return.

Unlockable:

No.

Music:

Hyrule Field: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jux1PCGJb1Y

Hyrule Field 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTww6juWsAM

Lorule Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYc_Vosp9_Y

Lorule Field 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ZEYeanOW4

Death Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bTtFJC0hb0

Hyrule Castle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fby1M29W-oU

Lorule Castle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g75HDyL2BGc

Yuga Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxl-n80bq_Y

Final Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e-naJHw-Y4

D

Deleted member

Okay guys. Poll for Round 7 is now up. It's the same as the Round 6 poll only now that Zelda is the current round we have a Fire Emblem voting option instead.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Okay guys. Poll for Round 7 is now up. It's the same as the Round 6 poll only now that Zelda is the current round we have a Fire Emblem voting option instead.
Fried Emblem, you say...

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

Welcome to the skies above Rito Village. Here you will find the Divine Beast Vah Medoh, the gargantuan guardian which watches over and protects the mountaintop town. Normally it rests, perched atop the village's peak, but right now it happens to be in the middle of a fierce dogfight between Rito flyers and Calamity Ganon's possessed Flying Guardians. Don't worry – the ship's protective field will guard any Smashers aboard the ship from the crossfire.

You'll fight on the tail of the airship, acting as a rather flat stage overall. This stage's Omega Form also takes place here! If you choose to play on the regular version of the stage, though, it is nothing but flat. Periodically, Vah Medoh will tilt side to side, banking into its turns, tilting itself by 45* to the left or right. This makes for incredibly steep fighting grounds, and also means that you can briefly stand on the wall of the stage. Use this to your advantage by spiking foes into the slope for horizontal KOs, or by bringing them up towards the blast zone for ceiling kills!

After about one minute, Vah Medoh will take a hard blow to one of its wings, causing it to tilt more than normal – the force of Calamity Ganon's attack sends it completely on its side! Any fighters on Vah Medoh will lose their grip at this point, making for quite an unfortunate situation.

"What are they doing up there...?"

This might seem unfortunate, but luckily, just like in Breath of the Wild, the air surrounding the Divine Beast gives you a lift upward.

Suddenly, the stage is almost structured like a traditional walkoff, such as Coliseum or Bridge of Eldin. The difference is that the ground is replaced by upward gusts of wind, which suspend fighters in their aerial state. The wind acts kind of like ground, in that it ends helpless states and refreshes moves like Sheik's Bouncing Fish which can only be used once per airtime (as well as refreshing jumps). Unlike normal ground, however, you are limited to only aerial attacks, airdodges, and the like. There's no shielding or anything! And you can also spike opponents straight downward through the wind, making for a treacherous battleground.

During this phase, Rito warriors fly in from the right hand side of the stage periodically, acting as platforms for fighters to stand on. Handily, if you're hovering at the top of the wind, you'll automatically land on the Rito, without having to jump or anything.

After about 20 seconds of this free-flight phase, Vah Medoh swoops back underneath the fighters and it loops back to the start.

Name: Divine Beast Vah Medoh

Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Description: see the body of the post

Gimmicks / Hazards: tilting stage, "aerial walkoff" phase

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Welcome to the skies above Rito Village. Here you will find the Divine Beast Vah Medoh, the gargantuan guardian which watches over and protects the mountaintop town. Normally it rests, perched atop the village's peak, but right now it happens to be in the middle of a fierce dogfight between Rito flyers and Calamity Ganon's possessed Flying Guardians. Don't worry – the ship's protective field will guard any Smashers aboard the ship from the crossfire.

You'll fight on the tail of the airship, acting as a rather flat stage overall. This stage's Omega Form also takes place here! If you choose to play on the regular version of the stage, though, it is nothing but flat. Periodically, Vah Medoh will tilt side to side, banking into its turns, tilting itself by 45* to the left or right. This makes for incredibly steep fighting grounds, and also means that you can briefly stand on the wall of the stage. Use this to your advantage by spiking foes into the slope for horizontal KOs, or by bringing them up towards the blast zone for ceiling kills!

After about one minute, Vah Medoh will take a hard blow to one of its wings, causing it to tilt more than normal – the force of Calamity Ganon's attack sends it completely on its side! Any fighters on Vah Medoh will lose their grip at this point, making for quite an unfortunate situation.

"What are they doing up there...?"

This might seem unfortunate, but luckily, just like in Breath of the Wild, the air surrounding the Divine Beast gives you a lift upward.

Suddenly, the stage is almost structured like a traditional walkoff, such as Coliseum or Bridge of Eldin. The difference is that the ground is replaced by upward gusts of wind, which suspend fighters in their aerial state. The wind acts kind of like ground, in that it ends helpless states and refreshes moves like Sheik's Bouncing Fish which can only be used once per airtime (as well as refreshing jumps). Unlike normal ground, however, you are limited to only aerial attacks, airdodges, and the like. There's no shielding or anything! And you can also spike opponents straight downward through the wind, making for a treacherous battleground.

During this phase, Rito warriors fly in from the right hand side of the stage periodically, acting as platforms for fighters to stand on. Handily, if you're hovering at the top of the wind, you'll automatically land on the Rito, without having to jump or anything.

After about 20 seconds of this free-flight phase, Vah Medoh swoops back underneath the fighters and it loops back to the start.

Name: Divine Beast Vah Medoh

Origin: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Description: see the body of the post

Gimmicks / Hazards: tilting stage, "aerial walkoff" phase
This is probably the most likely kind of new Zelda stage we're gonna get. Wasn't sure if it would be the Rito or the Zora but I figured one of their beasts

D

Deleted member

So guys, we've got a bit of a problem. Two of our judges, those being 8-bit Man and Oddball, have retired from judging. It's become a chore for them so I'm not going to try to force them into doing something they're not enjoying. But this does mean that me and Cosmic77 are the only two remaining judges and I can't have grades for any round completed without at least 4. I've been trying to find others to take their place but no one I've asked has been interested yet.

Rounds will keep going every week for the time being still. But grades are in a bit of a mess until I can find two more judges.

Top Bottom