• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Stage Creation Contest (Complete)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yo, psb, you got the grades yet? Not to be pushy or anything but...the day's almost gone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yo, psb, you got the grades yet? Not to be pushy or anything but...the day's almost gone.
And a long day it was I must say. So long that grades will have to wait until later. Sorry guys but too much stuff blindsided me today that I needed to focus on.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately the wait continues for Round 33 grades. But I can still get Round 34 started!

Winning the poll at 5 votes, Round 34 is.......................

The Full Mario Catalog

Ever since the repeat rounds became a thing Mario was one of the first contenders for which rounds to give another go. The only problem, all the various series of Mario games were spread into different rounds.

That left a total of 5 different Mario related rounds and repeating them all separately would have been a tad bit ridiculous. So we're going to repeat them all at one instead.

The Platformers, the RPG's, Mario Kart, Mario Party, all the other games, you name it. With the exceptions of Hotel Mario and the Educational Games, any Mario game is allowed.

In addition to that, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario are all Mario characters but they have each received their own series of games and Smash considers them to be separate series from Mario because of that. That's why they've each received their own individual round in this contest. But some people are of the opinion that these count as Mario games anyway. With the separate rounds, this contest has run under the opinion that they are not. But for this round in particular, we'll be rolling with the opinion that they are.

So games out of the Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario series are allowed for this round as well.

And wit that, on October 1st 2018, Round 34 has begun. You have until Friday, October 5th, at about 11:00pm pacific time, to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Cap Kingdom (Bonneton)

Super Mario Odyssey

Of the many Kingdoms present in Super Mario Odyssey, one of the least forgettable is Bonneton, also known as the Cap Kingdom. It is the first area you explore in the game as Mario, it’s where Mario’s friend Cappy is from, where you have your first boss battle… look, you get it. For a first level in a Mario game, it’s highly unusual- You generally think of just green grassy plains with a blue sky and that’s… not what we have here. Here we have a night time setting with a huge moon, dark blacks and grays everywhere, a ton of fog, and flying ships in the shape of hats.

On first glance, this stage seems almost like my Kirby entry. I’ve got four different main platforms here that act as the stage itself. I had waffled for a while whether to use the rolling gray hills, Glasses Bridge, or these hat ships as the main area, but I think the ships themselves offer a more unique experience than those other locations. As such, they are flying in an enormous fog bank with no ground to find.

The above picture is the default layout of these ships, being controlled by the Bonneters that own them. They will move up and down, in varying formations throughout your time in this level.

After twenty seconds at the regular layout, it’ll shift to something else, such as this…

Or perhaps this…​

Nothing that moves too fast, and at all times, every character is able to get to any of the ships.

In the background, you'll find Top Hat Tower in front of the Moon, which is one of the most interesting sights from this first level from the game. Sometimes you'll see other hat ships flying in the background, or perhaps a flying car/sphinx. Paragoombas will sometimes sidle by in the fog, as well, but they are not interactable.

And that’s basically it! A generally chill stage for a generally chill level, focusing on jumping across different platforms to accomplish your goal. I’d say that just about sums up Mario lol

Music:​

TKOWL

Smash Apprentice
Sand Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey

In Super Mario Odyssey, after the intro levels of Cap and Cascade Kingdom, Mario and Cappy take the Odyssey ship to their first real destination: the Sand Kingdom. This Aztec/Mexican-inspired desert landscape features many notable locales, from the colorful town of Tostarena to the towering ruins, the Jaxi station, the inverted pyramid, and more. When Mario comes here at first, Bowser has stolen the Binding Band, causing the inverted pyramid to settle into the hole of Knucktoic and freeze over the whole desert, creating a memorable setpiece of a "frozen desert". This is where the game truly opens up, and was often featured in demos and demonstrations, making it one of the most iconic levels of the game.

This is a traveling stage, touring around the entire kingdom and landing at seven pit stops, with new layouts and arrangements, much like Delphino Plaza. The first location of Tostarena is visited at the beginning of each game, but every area visited afterwards is put on a randomized playlist. After about 20-25 seconds in a location, a colorful indicator appears and the traveling platform spawns from the ground, notifying that players need to get on the platform lest they get left behind. The touring platform will start out with one solid and one thin platform, but the location of the thin platform may change or get split up in subsequent pickups.

The first stop is Tostarena. This is a flat walk-off, with one platform situated in the middle balcony of the Crazy Cap shop. Various Tostareneans will either be shivering or cheering on the fighters, depending on if the desert is frozen or not.

The second stop is on top gate of the ruins. This one has pits to the left and right, and a large solid platform, with a solid protrusion coming out of the middle. Fighters will want to gain control of this middle section, as the areas to the left and right may be too far away when the touring platform picks up everyone.

The third stop is atop the ruins tower. This is a far smaller fighting arena than the other areas, with the pits being wider than before. If the desert is iced over, the ledge to the left will have ice in the foreground, potentially obscuring anyone in that area.

The fourth stop is at the Moe-Eye habitat. This one seems like a huge burden at first, with two small pillars separated by a seemingly impassable pit, but looks can be deceiving! This is actually one very long platform with two pits at both ends, the entire middle section is just invisible. The Moe-Eyes observing the battle may occasionally put on their glasses, revealing the hidden part of the stage for a few seconds. This long invisible platform can create really fun scenarios, such as having Villager's trees on top of nothing or Inkling's ink stick in the air.

The fifth stop is at the Jaxi ruins, and is another standard flat and average-sized fighting area. The Jaxi will be watching from the back, and may take off into the distance if fighters attack near him.

The sixth area is at the north end of the kingdom, near a Jaxi spot. It is, like Tostarena, a large flat walk-off, instead this time with no platforms. This image shows a demonstration of another of this kingdom's three aesthetic forms: this one being the night, where Chinchos will be walking around the background and an eerie quietness overtakes the desert. The form of the stage is entirely cosmetic and tends more towards picking the iced version when selected, but if players want to battle on the night version, all human entrants must hold down R as the stage is selected.

At points when touring around the Inverted Pyramid, it may lift up in the iced desert state (or just be floating naturally in the night or normal desert state), revealing the seventh and final area at the base of the pyramid. This one is far more treacherous than any of the other areas, with a small middle platform at the base of the pyramid and two pass-through platforms moving up and down over large pits. Like with the night settings, if one wants to play guaranteed on the normal desert layout with no ice, all players need to hold down L when the stage is picked.

MUSIC
Tostarena: Ruins (Super Mario Odyssey)
Tostarena Town Theme (Super Mario Odyssey)
Kalamari Desert (Mario Kart 64) (Remix)
Overworld Theme (Super Mario Land) (Remix)
Underground Theme (Super Mario Land) (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Gritzy Desert (Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time) (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Slipsand Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Conkdor Canyon (Super Mario 3D World)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Sand Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey

In Super Mario Odyssey, after the intro levels of Cap and Cascade Kingdom, Mario and Cappy take the Odyssey ship to their first real destination: the Sand Kingdom. This Aztec/Mexican-inspired desert landscape features many notable locales, from the colorful town of Tostarena to the towering ruins, the Jaxi station, the inverted pyramid, and more. When Mario comes here at first, Bowser has stolen the Binding Band, causing the inverted pyramid to settle into the hole of Knucktoic and freeze over the whole desert, creating a memorable setpiece of a "frozen desert". This is where the game truly opens up, and was often featured in demos and demonstrations, making it one of the most iconic levels of the game.

This is a traveling stage, touring around the entire kingdom and landing at seven pit stops, with new layouts and arrangements, much like Delphino Plaza. The first location of Tostarena is visited at the beginning of each game, but every area visited afterwards is put on a randomized playlist. After about 20-25 seconds in a location, a colorful indicator appears and the traveling platform spawns from the ground, notifying that players need to get on the platform lest they get left behind. The touring platform will start out with one solid and one thin platform, but the location of the thin platform may change or get split up in subsequent pickups.

The first stop is Tostarena. This is a flat walk-off, with one platform situated in the middle balcony of the Crazy Cap shop. Various Tostareneans will either be shivering or cheering on the fighters, depending on if the desert is frozen or not.

The second stop is on top gate of the ruins. This one has pits to the left and right, and a large solid platform, with a solid protrusion coming out of the middle. Fighters will want to gain control of this middle section, as the areas to the left and right may be too far away when the touring platform picks up everyone.

The third stop is atop the ruins tower. This is a far smaller fighting arena than the other areas, with the pits being wider than before. If the desert is iced over, the ledge to the left will have ice in the foreground, potentially obscuring anyone in that area.

The fourth stop is at the Moe-Eye habitat. This one seems like a huge burden at first, with two small pillars separated by a seemingly impassable pit, but looks can be deceiving! This is actually one very long platform with two pits at both ends, the entire middle section is just invisible. The Moe-Eyes observing the battle may occasionally put on their glasses, revealing the hidden part of the stage for a few seconds. This long invisible platform can create really fun scenarios, such as having Villager's trees on top of nothing or Inkling's ink stick in the air.

The fifth stop is at the Jaxi ruins, and is another standard flat and average-sized fighting area. The Jaxi will be watching from the back, and may take off into the distance if fighters attack near him.

The sixth area is at the north end of the kingdom, near a Jaxi spot. It is, like Tostarena, a large flat walk-off, instead this time with no platforms. This image shows a demonstration of another of this kingdom's three aesthetic forms: this one being the night, where Chinchos will be walking around the background and an eerie quietness overtakes the desert. The form of the stage is entirely cosmetic and tends more towards picking the iced version when selected, but if players want to battle on the night version, all human entrants must hold down R as the stage is selected.

At points when touring around the Inverted Pyramid, it may lift up in the iced desert state (or just be floating naturally in the night or normal desert state), revealing the seventh and final area at the base of the pyramid. This one is far more treacherous than any of the other areas, with a small middle platform at the base of the pyramid and two pass-through platforms moving up and down over large pits. Like with the night settings, if one wants to play guaranteed on the normal desert layout with no ice, all players need to hold down L when the stage is picked.

MUSIC
Tostarena: Ruins (Super Mario Odyssey)
Tostarena Town Theme (Super Mario Odyssey)
Kalamari Desert (Mario Kart 64) (Remix)
Overworld Theme (Super Mario Land) (Remix)
Underground Theme (Super Mario Land) (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Gritzy Desert (Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time) (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Slipsand Galaxy (Super Mario Galaxy 2)
Conkdor Canyon (Super Mario 3D World)
Jesus, Odin, Thor, & Freya.

A truly perfect encapsulation of this stage.

Also Realtalk let's just make stages for every kingdom lol

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Birabuto_Kingdom.png

(You know, with Steve being so heavily speculated, I thought, what the heck, put him in there.)

Stage Name:
Birabuto Kingdom

Origin:
Super Mario Land

Gimmicks and Hazards:
Question mark blocks, Gaos and Bombshell Koopas

Description:

Whew...it's getting a little hot in here...maybe it's because I'm in Birabuto Kingdom. Situated in the home of a certain spunky tomboy princess, Birabuto Kingdom is the first world in Super Mario Land. The platform layour here is simple, and the Question Mark blocks here work similarly to the Super Mario Bros stage and Peach's Castle Melee, but this stage also has a twist: every 1 minute on the battlefield, 1-2 Gaos and 1-3 Bombshell Koopas will appear on the stage. Gaos take 30% damage before being defeated and shoot fireballs that deal 6% damage and hitstun. These fireballs go for about a third of Final Destination before disappearing. The Bombshell Koopas, on the other hand, work like how a bomb and a Koopa work: jump on them or damage them to defeat them, but the shell explodes after being defeated. these deal 10% damage and some decent knockback on hit, but has a Kirby-wide blast radius. After they're all defeated, the time until the next wave of Gaos and Bombshell Koopas spawn will be reset. Well...thanks for taking your time here. Now if you'll excuse me...I need to find something to quench my thirst. A Water-type Pokemon, Tethu's Oasis, Corrin, anything to make me not thirsty...

Unlockable:
Yes. Unlock Daisy.

Music:
Super Mario Land Medley
Birabuto Kingdom (Super Mario Land)
Boss (Super Mario Land)
Lethal Lava Land (Super Mario 64/DS)
Daisy Cruiser (Mario Kart 7)
Tatanka Theme (Super Mario Land)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm a little disappointed we're knocking out the Mario Catalog round so early. I was kinda hoping we could save it until mid-November so we could have something else to look forward to toward the end of the contest.

D

Deleted member

I'm a little disappointed we're knocking out the Mario Catalog round so early. I was kinda hoping we could save it until mid-November so we could have something else to look forward to toward the end of the contest.
What do you mean?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Hey I just wanted to check status on last week's grades. Since this week's round ends tomorrow

D

Deleted member

Hey I just wanted to check status on last week's grades. Since this week's round ends tomorrow
Long story short, busy work weeks suck. They're long and very draining. I've been trying to get the grades posted in the free time I've had but I just haven't had the energy.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Long story short, busy work weeks suck. They're long and very draining. I've been trying to get the grades posted in the free time I've had but I just haven't had the energy.
No big deal fam just checking in

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Super Mario 64 DS
Wet-Dry World
Contest34.png

Super Mario 64... wait, does it really need an introduction? Anyways, Wet Dry World was a level in that game, notable for it's changing tide gimmick. Anyways, in Smash Bros it's a very large multi-layered stage at it's defauly (The central platform is about as big as battlefield). To make it playable, the platforms are semisolid and you can stand in the middle of a platform.

This stage's gimmick are the Crystal Taps! Randomly, every 15 seconds, one of those things appear randomly on one of the 3 platforms. If attacked, the tides start changing! If you break one on the bottom layer, the tide increases to the ledge, so if you get thrown off the stage you have to swim to safety. If it's broken on either of the top two platforms, the tide is increased to such a degree that the platform it stood on is now the base platform. To assist in recovery from the tide increases for characters with bad ones a Heave-Ho spawns. It doesn't deal damage, it just throws you upward.

This stage is unlocked by doing 64 battles.

Notes: Yes, I'm still alive. The reason I've been gone is a mix of me being busy, not having ideas, and large amounts of procrastination.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Super Mario 64 DS
Wet-Dry World
View attachment 168152
Super Mario 64... wait, does it really need an introduction? Anyways, Wet Dry World was a level in that game, notable for it's changing tide gimmick. Anyways, in Smash Bros it's a very large multi-layered stage at it's defauly (The central platform is about as big as battlefield). To make it playable, the platforms are semisolid and you can stand in the middle of a platform.

This stage's gimmick are the Crystal Taps! Randomly, every 15 seconds, one of those things appear randomly on one of the 3 platforms. If attacked, the tides start changing! If you break one on the bottom layer, the tide increases to the ledge, so if you get thrown off the stage you have to swim to safety. If it's broken on either of the top two platforms, the tide is increased to such a degree that the platform it stood on is now the base platform. To assist in recovery from the tide increases for characters with bad ones a Heave-Ho spawns. It doesn't deal damage, it just throws you upward.

This stage is unlocked by doing 64 battles.

Notes: Yes, I'm still alive. The reason I've been gone is a mix of me being busy, not having ideas, and large amounts of procrastination.
When I was a kid I always called the Heave-Ho's vacuums. As an adult... I hate them. Definitely my least favorite enemy in Mario 64 ESPECIALLY in Tick Tock Clock

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
"SUPER BELL HILL"
from Super Mario 3D World

Being the very first level in the game, the garden-esque Super Bell Hill (World 1-1) is probably one of the most recognizable areas in 3D World. It's a great introductory level where you are treated to whimsical visuals, upbeat music, and of course, the now (somewhat) iconic Super Bell item that grants players cat-like abilities. It's a fun little playground that eases you into the game and allows you to mess around a bit with the new mechanics. All in all, it's a super (heh heh) starting level keeping in tradition with other Mario titles.

I wanted to keep my iteration of this stage simple just like it is in the source game. Therefore, there aren't any hazards to worry about, but I still wanted to include a few little nods to original game as well. But before I delve too deeply into that, here are details regarding the stage's collisions for anyone interested:
The red lines represent solid ground, while the pink line under Richter is a pass-through platform. As you can see, most of the stage is solid ground. The bricks and "?" block on the left side by Falco function like they do in most Mario stages. The bricks will break if hit from below, and the "?" will produce a Mario series item when attacked. All 3 blocks will reset/reapper after a short time.

Now let's take a look at a few of the fun elements that make this stage a bit more interesting... You may have noticed the clear warp pipe in the middle of the stage, which was a neat addition to 3D World. I originally toyed with the idea of allowing players to actually use this warp pipe, but I eventually decided that it'd likely end up being abused (i.e. people just riding through it back and forth over and over again) and would interrupt gameplay too much. However, there still are a few things that can actual travel through this pipe, namely...

...Items! That's right, pretty much any item in the game will go in one end and out the other! And since the pipe's transparent, you get to watch it go! Mr. Saturns, green shells, Bob-ombs, mega mushrooms, and more! Even projectiles (Ray gun blast, homing missiles, thrown items, you name it) will get sucked in and released on the other side. It might not seem super significant, but I thought it was a nice callback to the original game, as fireballs, coins, and enemies like Goombas can sometimes make their way into one of these pipes. Plus this way the pipe still has some functionality rather than just being a wall. Also, as an additional note, once in the pipe, the object will slow down slightly, probably around 0.75x its original speed.

One more feature is the rolling hill on the right side of the stage. This hill is powered by the little Skipsqueak who runs on top of it. It rotates fairly slowly in the opposite direction that he's facing. So basically if you stand on it, you'll ride around the curve and end up on the ground of the other side. The Skipsqueak will occasionally switch directions throughout the match as well.

Unlockable:
Hover in the air using the Super Leaf for a combined total of 5 minutes.

Music:
Super Bell Hill
Switch Scramble Circus
Double Cherry Pass
Sprawling Savanna
World 1 / World 4 / World 6 (Medley)
Bowser's Highway Showdown / World Bowser (Medley)

Thanks for reading! :)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
"SUPER BELL HILL"
from Super Mario 3D World

Being the very first level in the game, the garden-esque Super Bell Hill (World 1-1) is probably one of the most recognizable areas in 3D World. It's a great introductory level where you are treated to whimsical visuals, upbeat music, and of course, the now (somewhat) iconic Super Bell item that grants players cat-like abilities. It's a fun little playground that eases you into the game and allows you to mess around a bit with the new mechanics. All in all, it's a super (heh heh) starting level keeping in tradition with other Mario titles.

I wanted to keep my iteration of this stage simple just like it is in the source game. Therefore, there aren't any hazards to worry about, but I still wanted to include a few little nods to original game as well. But before I delve too deeply into that, here are details regarding the stage's collisions for anyone interested:
The red lines represent solid ground, while the pink line under Richter is a pass-through platform. As you can see, most of the stage is solid ground. The bricks and "?" block on the left side by Falco function like they do in most Mario stages. The bricks will break if hit from below, and the "?" will produce a Mario series item when attacked. All 3 blocks will reset/reapper after a short time.

Now let's take a look at a few of the fun elements that make this stage a bit more interesting... You may have noticed the clear warp pipe in the middle of the stage, which was a neat addition to 3D World. I originally toyed with the idea of allowing players to actually use this warp pipe, but I eventually decided that it'd likely end up being abused (i.e. people just riding through it back and forth over and over again) and would interrupt gameplay too much. However, there still are a few things that can actual travel through this pipe, namely...

...Items! That's right, pretty much any item in the game will go in one end and out the other! And since the pipe's transparent, you get to watch it go! Mr. Saturns, green shells, Bob-ombs, mega mushrooms, and more! Even projectiles (Ray gun blast, homing missiles, thrown items, you name it) will get sucked in and released on the other side. It might not seem super significant, but I thought it was a nice callback to the original game, as fireballs, coins, and enemies like Goombas can sometimes make their way into one of these pipes. Plus this way the pipe still has some functionality rather than just being a wall. Also, as an additional note, once in the pipe, the object will slow down slightly, probably around 0.75x its original speed.

One more feature is the rolling hill on the right side of the stage. This hill is powered by the little Skipsqueak who runs on top of it. It rotates fairly slowly in the opposite direction that he's facing. So basically if you stand on it, you'll ride around the curve and end up on the ground of the other side. The Skipsqueak will occasionally switch directions throughout the match as well.

Unlockable:
Hover in the air using the Super Leaf for a combined total of 5 minutes.

Music:
Super Bell Hill
Switch Scramble Circus
Double Cherry Pass
Sprawling Savanna
World 1 / World 4 / World 6 (Medley)
Bowser's Highway Showdown / World Bowser (Medley)

Thanks for reading! :)
Wow! I think your Super Bell Hill is better than mine! XD

D

Deleted member

Busy work weeks can be quite annoying. But at long last, we FINALLY have the Round 33 grades.

psb123's grades:

Central Highway by Kevandre Kevandre

Iconic Status: 5/5

Mega Man X is the 2nd most well regarded series out of the Blue Bomber and this is the opening level to it's first game. And it's a pretty memorable opening level since it's design teaches players about the new mechanics very well. Yes that last point was inspired by Egoraptor. Sue me. Actually, for your own sake don't sue me. I'm judging stages from a capcom series here so I've got priority access to Phoenix Wright's services.

Originality: 7/10

There's not a lot you can do with this stage in terms of gimmicks honestly. Nothing that wouldn't overstay it's welcome anyway. It is one of the more neutral stages but the source level kind of lead to believe it would be. Though I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of the chosen layout. Makes for a rather uninteresting place to fight in my honest opinion.

Playability: 10/10

Not a lot to be concerned about here. The layout I will admit doesn't get in the way and Vile only stuns you for a bit and doesn't take up too much of the arena.

Overall Score: 22/25

Air Man's Stage by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Would any Robot Master stage from Mega Man 2 NOT get a 5 here? Mega Man 2 is widely regarded as one of the best, possibly THE best which it's not game in the series for a reason. So many people remember it fondly.

Originality: 8/10

Not a bad idea for making Air Man's stage a Smash Arena. Plus, it never really struck me before, but a scrolling stage fits for the Blue Bomber quite well. I do think there could be more going on though. Maybe the platforms from those robots that throw lightning bolts in Mega Man 2 could show up occasionally. A few sections of solid land like in the actual Air Man stage might have been nice too.

Playability: 7/10

Not an annoying stage to play on. But there are some areas of concern. Mostly the size of the blocks and goblins (the latter is depicted as smaller than they should be in your drawing which makes it hard to tell) and having your view obstructed by clouds placed in random places.

Overall Score: 20/25

Internet Square by TKOWL TKOWL

Battle Network isn't the pinnacle of Mega Man games people love, but it has it's fan and a long enough run time to where it should be well remembered. Which seems to show in Mega Man reception. Aside from Classic and X, Battle Network is the one most people seem to talk about.

Originality: 9/10

There are some very good ideas here! The Netnavi's show up not as annoying boss hazards but decently manageable regular ones and those teleporters are a nice call back to the overworlds of the source games. This would have been enough to garner a 10. But what prevented that was the management of times for the Netnavi's and teleporters to appear. We'll go over this more in playability, but it needs some work.

Playability: 8/10

The Netnavi's provide some cool, yet tricky in some cases, obstacles and the teleporters make for a fun stage gimmick. Which makes it kind of disappointing that they're so rare. After one of them leaves, you have to wait about a full minute for another one. Now I will wholeheartedly admit that this does counteract the Netnavis being on screen for too long but I would have preferred if they just went away after about 10-12 seconds instead of 20-30 if it meant they could be on stage more often.

Cosmic77's grades:

"Central Highway" by Kevandre:

Admittedly, I've never played a Mega Man game either. Regardless, I can at least point out what would qualify as a "Mega Man-ish" stage. Yours seems to match that theme, and I believe Mega Man X is popular, right?

This is far from your best work, but again, since I don't know what else from that game you could work with, I'm not really in a position to be too critical.

Stage Boss adds a little extra something, but I wish you would've done more with the layout and/or background.

I'm not convinced that your boss is TOO annoying. Overall, he seems tame and pretty easy to defeat. Still, the ability to paralyze fighters is bound to set someone up for a charged Smash attack.

"Air Man's Stage" by GolisoPower:

The stage is from Mega Man 2, which already has a stage in Smash. Seems like a good choice to me.

I'm sure there's better options I'm not aware of, but I'm not too familiar with Mega Man.

We haven't had many scrolling stages lately, nor did we get any others in this round, so I consider this to be a nice suprise.

The use of Goblins was creative. There's no mistaking them for anything besides a Mega Man enemy, and I feel like they compliment the stage rather nicely.

Playability: 6/10

So, two things.

One: The clouds obstruct visibility of the platforms. Any time that happens, I have to deduct a few points.

Two: The drills make up nearly all of the Goblins' head. Trying to land on them without touching a drill seems more tedious than it's worth.

Overall Score: 19/25

"Internet Square" by TKOWL:

Iconic Status: 4/5

Forgive me if my intuition is wrong, but this doesn't sound like a very iconic Mega Man game. It has a lot of enemies that resemble your typical Mega Man bosses, but the stage itself and its cyber theme doesn't immediately make me think of the Mega Man series.

Originality: 10/10

This feels like a huge fanservice stage for Mega Man fans. The incorporation of all these different enemies was fantastic, and I can only imagine how many people would be excited to play on this stage.

I don't have much else to say besides, good job!

Your bosses can pose as a problem when they appear, especially when the stage gets flooded or lighting strikes. That being said, none of their attacks are too unreasonable. I can't see them being any more annoying than Spear Pillar Pokemon.

TheMarioAddict's grades:

"Central Highway" by Kevandre:

You definitely picked one of the more well-known Mega Man X locations, and considering that a lot of people love Mega Man X, that earns you some high marks. I was going to take off one point for the unfamiliar-players-wouldn’t-get-it aspect, but then again, I think every single location from Mega Man has that problem, so it wouldn’t be fair to single out any individual stage for that.

There’s a lot to like here! For starters, I like that our boss boy Vile doesn’t actually harm the players at all - it’s a good change from the way most boss characters work. The stage layout isn’t as mediocre as you implied, and I really like it for the most part. The futuristic city aesthetic is nice too, even if New Pork City sorta beat you to it (your stage is nicer than New Pork though, so I don’t mind).

Vile is somewhat concerning, but the rest of the stage is mostly fine. My only gripe with the platform layout is that, judging from the picture at least, those lamp post platforms are tiny. I mean, they wouldn’t really interfere with the match or anything, but… I dunno, they just seem kinda useless.

Side note: you ever play Smash Flash 2? 'cause it also had a Central Highway stage, with a quite similar layout to yours. That didn't factor into my grades, of course, but I thought it was a funny coincidence.

"Air Man’s Stage" by GolisoPower:

Everyone remembers Mega Man 2. And everyone who remembers Mega Man 2 remembers how much of a pain Air Man and his stage were, with the face spike things burning into their minds as a constant reminder of that agony. So yeah, a really good choice here! Really my only issue is that the location is called “Air Man’s Stage” and doesn’t have a proper name, but that’s Capcom’s fault, not yours.

There’s some pretty interesting elements here. Firstly, the face platforms (I guess they’re called Goblins?) are quite different from other hazardous platforms in smash, which is worth awarding points for. The clouds are interesting too, seeing as most stages make sure that foreground elements don’t block view of the stage or the fighters. The randomized scrolling layout is neat too, though I personally think that scrolling stages are a bit overdone. Still, not too shabby in the originality department!

Ok, I’m gonna be perfectly honest here: when I first looked at the stage, I thought for sure I’d end up giving it a low playability score. But to my surprise, everything seems to be pretty well thought out - the Goblin’s spikes don’t last for too long, and can even prevent ledge camping a bit, plus even with a randomized layout, it seems like there isn’t much that would get in the way of the fight. My only concerns are the clouds - which, if they’re completely opaque and can show up anywhere on the map, make for a big playability concern - and the size of the normal platforms - the “blocks” they’re made up of are quite small, so if a 1-block-long platform spawns, it’ll become a bit of a camping spot. Nicely done, thought!

"Internet Square" by TKOWL:

Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well.

...well, I’d like to say that, but to be honest I never played the Battle Network games. I did, however, watch the anime for it back when that was a thing… does that count?

Either way, I’m giving it a 4. I don’t think Battle Network is as well-known as the other Mega Man games, but I don’t think it was unpopular either. Did well enough to get an anime, at least.

I love this stage immensely. The platform layout is simple but unique (well, it’s a tiny bit like Halberd, but not enough for me to take off points). The visual is completely new to both Smash and Mega Man stages (though with only one existing stage, the later is a bit of a given). And even though it’s based on a spin-off series, the addition of the Robot Masters (well, NetNavis, but same idea) brings in the one key Mega Man element that Wily’s Castle was sorely lacking. It’s awesome, and I love it. Well done!

Cool though the NetNavis are, I think they might get in the way of the fight a little too much. Maybe if they didn’t stick around for so long I’d be more lenient on the myriad of ways they can interrupt, but they long overstay their welcomes. Even 20 seconds is pushing the limit, and you said that was the minimum, so that’s losing some points. Beyond that, it’s possible the teleporter could be used for continually running away, but everything else is perfectly fine, and I’d love playing on a stage like this.

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 64 points

GolisoPower: 59 points

TKOWL: 64 points

The Winner is...........
Blue Team

Now Sudden Death and all 4 Team Colors have already been used to describe ties before. Which is why I was kind of hoping we wouldn't get any more of those in the contest. But alas, we have. And since it's Mega Man we're talking about, Blue Team is the most fitting one to re-use and describe our tie of...................

Central Highway by Kevandre:

AND

Internet Square by TKOWL:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Nice! Good round, even with less entrants than usual. Grats to tkowl once again for rolling up with another awesome stage

TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict I did not know that this was a stage in Smash flash. I think I played the first one like once? Interesting though

D

Deleted member

Alright guys. Round 34 is now closed. Now I should forewarn you all that this weekend is FINALLY when a Best Buy near me is hosting that demo of Smash Ultimate. That's both Saturday and Sunday. So will the grades of Round 34 have to wait until after Round 35 has started? More than likely.

D

Deleted member

So. Some good news. I had a blast playing the demo of Smash Ultimate yesterday but the way they structure the lines, while necessary, is not your friend. You go in, play a few matches, and before you get another chance to play again, you have to go to the back of the line. And that line was LONG! I got to play enough of the demo to satisfy me until the full game comes out. So I decided not to head back today and wait in the long line, while standing up. Sweet, sweet chair how I take you for granted.

On the flip side though, that means that Round 34 grades are very likely going up today.

D

Deleted member

So. Some good news. I had a blast playing the demo of Smash Ultimate yesterday but the way they structure the lines, while necessary, is not your friend. You go in, play a few matches, and before you get another chance to play again, you have to go to the back of the line. And that line was LONG! I got to play enough of the demo to satisfy me until the full game comes out. So I decided not to head back today and wait in the long line, while standing up. Sweet, sweet chair how I take you for granted.

On the flip side though, that means that Round 34 grades are very likely going up today.
Much sooner than I expected as well apparently, because it's now time for Round 34 grades!

psb123's grades:

Bonneton by Kevandre Kevandre

I'm not going to lie, this being the area where you start the game and meet Cappy is the only reason it got a 5. As an actual level it pales in comparison to many other options for Odyssey. If not for beginning of the game relevance, it would have gotten a 4.

So right off the bat, I think the gimmick you implemented was executed better here than it was for your Kirby stage. The lack of Big Blue track style ground was a big help with that. There isn't a whole lot of stuff going on in this stage but considering the level it's based on, it's probably better that way. I wavered a bit on whether or not to dock points because of that considering other Odyssey levels would offer more to them. But for this particular level, it accomplishes what it needs to. So I'll show some mercy and leave your score at a 9.

The gaps provide a few complications with recovery or even just reaching them depending on your character. But it's not too bad all in all. My main concern is that it seems that the fog acts as a bottomless pit. I think it would have helped your stage out here if you could swim in the fog. Yes I know you can't do that in Odyssey but that kind of creative liberty is something that a Smash stage can more than get away with if it improves the stage in the long run.

Sand Kingdom by TKOWL TKOWL

The Cap Kingdom is where you meet Cappy and the Cascade Kingdom is where you find the Odyssey. But the Sand Kingdom is the first fully accessible level in Super Mario Odyssey. A full 5 for sure.

I know this stage is very similar to Delfino Plaza but that stage and it's interpretation of Sunshine's overworld and how you travel through it are absolutely brilliant. So brilliant in fact that I'd say we could stand to have stage that impressive. Mario or otherwise. This stage fits that bill in my opinion.

My one and only concern is that I think the wait time before transitioning to a new area should be 15-20 seconds instead of 20-25. But it's so minor that I can't justify taking off a point for just that.

Overall Score: 25/25

Birabuto Kingdom by GolisoPower GolisoPower

Iconic Status: 2/5

If we were talking Super Mario Land 2, then it probably would have faired a little better. Maybe not by much, but more so than the original Super Mario Land. Daisy is the only memorable thing about this game aside from the occasional requests to bring back Tatanga. No one ever really mentions anything else about the game.

My only gripes are the layout lacking some platforms and the length of the time you have to wait for the enemies to show up. A 7 might seem a little harsh for just those two. But your stage is considerably more bland without the enemies and you have to wait a full minute before they can appear. 20 seconds would have been a much better wait time.

The enemies are honestly a pretty manageable obstacle. I'm mainly concerned about the lack of a center ground to fight on. That's my main issue with the layout.

Overall Score: 17/25

Wet-Dry World by PeridotGX PeridotGX

It is Mario 64. So anything from it should stick out pretty well. But it is one of the later game areas and not really the most favored of the levels in the game. Not saying a later level in 64 can't stand out, Just look at Tick Tock Clock. But I don't think this one has enough going for it to reach a full 5.

I can picture how your stage would look based on this part of the level in the source game. At first I thought that just this section alone seemed visually unappealing, then I realized that I actually think there are better layouts this stage could have. Combining some of the bridges and blocks from other parts of the level would have added some good stuff to the design here and you still would have been able to retain your tide gimmick.

Speaking of that, you would have received a higher score for that gimmick since it is quite unique and is faithful to the source material. The problem? There is no explained way to lower the tide.

Playability: 5/10

That lack of clarification on how to lower the tide is even more of an issue here. The tide can go so high that there aren't any platforms to fight on and even when there is ground to stand on the water makes it so much easier to recover. It's a good gimmick, but without knowing how to lower the level of the tide, I can't award a favorable score.

Overall Score: 16/25

Super Bell Hill by Good Guy Giygas Good Guy Giygas

There was a point in time where I would have considered this iconic enough to earn a 5. As you can see in the grades of Round 2 all the way back in the 2nd page of this thread. But times have changed.

For starters, levels in Super Mario 3d World don't stick out very well by the themselves. 3d World and 3d Land both are more of a mesh of bunch of levels to make the game as a whole what people remember. Not unlike the New Super Mario Bros. games. This is probably the reason why the official 3d Land stage was just called "3d Land" and featured a bunch of levels from that game in one stage.

Realistically speaking, you could have called this stage "3d World" and nothing would have changed. That's the main reason I'm sticking with a 4 instead of a 3 is because the setting of this stage makes it obvious what game it comes from. But even then it's not worth a 5. Not anymore.

A simple layout all in all. But that's a good thing. 3d Land proved you can certainly get more creative with a stage from these kinds of games but because we already have a stage like that, I for one appreciate the simpler layout this stage opts to go for.

Like with most simple stages, there aren't really any playability concerns here. Gimmicks are there but they don't get in the way. Truth be told, I think they add a nice touch of charm to the stage.

Overall Score: 23/25

Cosmic77's grades:

"Cap Kingdom (Bonneton)" by Kevandre:

Odyssey was a phenomenon, so I don't think I need to explain why you got a perfect score. However, just to nit-pick a little, Bonneton isn't the most memorable kingdom. There's probably 3 or 4 more choices that would've been a better representation of Odyssey.

Originality: 6/10

I love Bonneton, and I think you did fairly well with your gimmick. That being said, I've played Odyssey multiple times. Compared to everything else you could've implemented from that game, this feels extremely underwhelming.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you set yourself up for this after your awesome Bubblaine stage.

This stage has a few more gaps than I'm comfortable with. Other than that, it seems to be fine.

Overall Score: 18/25

"Sand Kingdom" by TKOWL:

One of the most memorable kingdoms in Odyssey. This would probably be my second choice after Metro kingdom if I had a say in which would get in Smash.

Man, I can't get over how brilliant your stage is. There aren't many parts of this stage that you yourself designed, but I love how creative you got when it came to choosing the locations, especially the implementation of the Moe-Eye habitat. It's a detailed and beautiful stage that people who've played Odyssey will definitely appreciate.

That Moe-Eye habitat made me go back and forth, but since it's technically just a solid platform that's invisible, I think it's fine.

Other than that, looks great.

Overall Score: 25/25

Congratulations! You're the fifth person to get a perfect score from me!

"Birabuto Kingdom" by GolisoPower:

If I'm being honest, Daisy is what saved this game from being completely forgotten by time

Not bad. I'm usually not a fan of stages with smaller enemies, but yours seem to mesh well with a platformer Mario game.

I also like the layout. It ain't anything too complex or memorable compared to what we have, but it's simple and nice.

I can't give you a perfect score because of the enemies, but I do think you're improving on how to handle them. Defeating them by jumping on them is a whole lot easier and manageable than using HP, and the blast radius isn't very wide.

"Wet-Dry World" by PeridotGX:

Iconic Status: 3/5

I'm sorry, but I HATED this level. The music was awful, the constant swimming was agonizing, and those stupid water-skating enemies can drown for all I care.

But to give you an honest, non-biased opinion, I don't think this level is memorable compared to the others. I mean, obviously it's not the worst, but Bob-omb Battlefield, Thomp's Fortress, and others feel so much more iconic.

This gimmick is something special. I'm suprised Sakurai and his team haven't thought of something like this after 100+ stages.

Anyway, the rising water is really creative. Represents the level perfectly and helps it stand out among other stages.

Playability: 5/10

The water basically forces everyone to the very top of the level. As a Rosalina player, I can say that her Uair would give her plenty of early KOs on this stage.

"Super Bell Hill" by Good Guy Giygas:

3D World is not a fan favorite by any means, but it looks and feels like everything you'd expect from a Mario game. Same can be said about your stage too.

This is a fantastic representation of Super Bell Hill. The clear warp pipes and the Skipsqueak are fun little gimmicks that make what would be a rather bland stage really interesting.

My only complaint is the layout. Feels a little too small and generic; it looks like something we've gotten in Smash already.

The small little ramps and bumps are nice details that represent the game well, but they don't blend in with your stage very well. Might've wanted to either make the stage bigger or space them out a little more.

TheMarioAddict's grades:

"Cap Kingdom (Bonneton)" by Kevandre:

So in fairness, I think almost every kingdom from Mario Odyssey is worthy of a perfect 5, but you’re not wrong - Bonneton stands out quite a bit. I’ll get into that more in the next section, but for now, just accept my 5/5.

So to continue from what I said above, Bonneton stands out from many other potential Mario levels - it’s got a much darker atmosphere from the typical grassy plains and hills that usually start Mario games, and it’s a very different tone from other Mario stages in Smash, so I’ve got no objections there. But I can’t quite shake the feeling that this sort of stage mechanic - multiple base platforms moving to make various layouts - has been done before. Not exactly the same way this stage does it, mind you, but the feeling of familiarity is strong enough that I feel a point or two off is justified.

This stage is a tad on the large side for my tastes, at least going off the images. The geometry of the hats are a little concerning as well, but beyond that the stage seems perfectly fine. Not sure how often I personally would play on it, but still fine.

"Sand Kingdom" by TKOWL:

Once again, I feel that just about every kingdom from Odyssey is deserving of a 5, so that’s what I gave ya. Not much to say, so… next!

Originality: 5/10

“Ouch, a 5? What’s that about?” Well, I gotta be honest: There’s not much to this stage outside of the setting. It’s a cool setting, for sure, but strip that away, and you’re left with a very standard travelling stage. And I’d be willing to overlook that if the individual stops were interesting and unique, but a lot of them aren’t. Of your 7 stops, numbers 3, 4, 5, and 6 are nothing but flat ground (6 also being a walkoff). Admittedly, stop number 4 - the one with invisible ground - is pretty dang clever, but that still means nearly half your stops are boring flat platforms, and that’s not good (not to mention stops 2-5 all look rather similar, visually). If you’d axed 3, 5, and 6, or added some extra platforms to spice them up (like you did with 7), this would’ve been a much stronger stage. But with the majority of the layouts being Final Destinations of varying sizes, it caused your originality score to take a huge hit in my eyes.

Playability: 9/10

That said, stellar job on the playability front. No huge problems, though I’m told Delphino-esque stages can lead to some janky kills. Really, I’m more concerned with the timing - as always, I think the stops stick around for too long. It’s not as bad as others I’ve seen, but 20-25 seconds is still a pretty hefty wait time.

"Birabuto Kingdom" by GolisoPower:

I’m sure you could see this coming. Super Mario Land is notable for introducing Daisy… and that’s about it. It certainly doesn’t compare to the many other locations the plumber has been to in his lifetime.

I quite like this, actually - we’ve seen stages that spawn enemies before in this contest (I’m unsure if we’ve seen it in the games), but the enemies in question are distinct enough to make them stand out. The setting is… uh, I’m actually not sure if it’s unique? Your description and the presence of pyramids suggests a desert setting, so I guess that’s different enough from current Mario stages. The layout is quite nice too, so you get some high points from me there!

A quick suggestion: try to find a better way to represent scale. Your image has Diddy Kong and Bayonetta at exactly the same height, which is… just blatantly not the case, making it very hard to gauge the size of this stage (Bayonetta suggests it’s huge, but Diddy suggests it’s much smaller).

That aside, it’s not too bad in playability. The enemies are slightly concerning, but they’re so dang infrequent that it hardly matters. Depending on the size of the stage, those upper platforms could either lead to circle camping or just normal you-can’t-hit-me camping. Everything else is pretty nice, so good job!

Overall Score: 16/25

"Wet-Dry World" by PeridotGX:

I debated whether to give this a 3 or a 4 - Mario 64 was obviously crazy popular, but I’m not sure that Wet-Dry World was the best pick for a level from it. In the end, I went with a 4, because I think the unique mechanic of the level gives it just enough of an edge to stand out on it’s own. Speaking of...

This is really good. Like, really good. The platform layout lives a little to be desired, but the water level mechanic makes up for it in spades. It’s like… the rising lava from Metroid stages, but not deadly and also manually controlled. It’s really sweet. Toss in a setting that, as far as I can tell, isn’t like anything else in Smash, and you’ve got yourself a really solid amount of originality.

Playability: 6/10

The height of the stage concerns me a bit, but the heave-hos help relieve that somewhat. Really, the bigger concern is the water itself - once the water is at a higher level, how do you lower it again? I know what you’re thinking - “well, you just hit the switch at a lower level!” Alright, follow up question then - how do you reach the switch? You can’t just swim down to it - that’s not how the swimming works in Smash Bros. You’d have to have an attack that can pierce way below the water’s surface, or the water would have to function differently so that players could just swim to it. But as written, the only direction water can go is up, which means the stage will very quickly become a battle near the top blast zone, which isn’t great. If there were a means by which the water would automatically lower after a certain amount of time, that would have been much better.

"Super Bell Hill" by Good Guy Giygas:

Mario 3D World was pretty popular, and with Super Bell Hill being the first level from that game, you get some high points for that. My one critique is that I think it only gets that iconicness from being the first level of the game - strip that away, and it doesn’t really stand out from any other level in 3D World. Still, a great pick nonetheless!

Really, this stage has it all - even with a very neutral layout, things like the spinning platform and the item pipe give it the unique spin it needs to stand out, and the layout is a big departure from Smash norms. The only thing it lacks is in the visuals - let’s be real, the first levels from all the modern Mario games look really similar, and with 3D Land and Mushroom Kingdom U existing, that hurts your score a bit. But by all other means, this is a really clever stage!

The only problem in playability is from the kind of janky layout of the base platform - it’s not huge or anything, but the wonky terrain and abundance of short walls could mess some people up in practice. Everything else is fine, and I could see myself coming to this stage a ton!

Total Scores:

Kevandre: 60 points

TKOWL: 69 points

GolisoPower: 50 points

PeridotGX: 52 points

Good Guy Giygas: 65 points

The Winner is..................
Sand Kingdom by TKOWL

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
TKOWL TKOWL won again! Congrats!

To the judges, I want to say that I wanted to capitalize on Daisy’s recent inclusion by making a Super Mario Land stage, said game of which I believe was the first handheld Mario game in history to my knowledge. Guess that didn’t work out, though, but oh well. :)

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Congrats to TKOWL! If there was ever a stage that I really would like to see in the actual game, it'd most definitely be your version of Sand Kingdom. It's that cool in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Dang do they talk about our stages a lot?
Nah, TKOWL just submits his own stages there every so often. I've noticed them from time to time, and they do tend to hit front page (of r/smashbros) whenever he does.

D

Deleted member

10 seconds for the one that goes up to the top, 25 seconds otherwise.
I see.

Now, the results listed in the grades are final. They will not change. Even so, let's play devil's advocate and see what I would have graded your stage if I had known this information.

It is Mario 64. So anything from it should stick out pretty well. But it is one of the later game areas and not really the most favored of the levels in the game. Not saying a later level in 64 can't stand out, Just look at Tick Tock Clock. But I don't think this one has enough going for it to reach a full 5.

I can picture how your stage would look based on this part of the level in the source game. At first I thought that just this section alone seemed visually unappealing, then I realized that I actually think there are better layouts this stage could have. Combining some of the bridges and blocks from other parts of the level would have added some good stuff to the design here and you still would have been able to retain your tide gimmick.

As for said Tide Gimmick, it is quite unique and is faithful to the source material. The time management needs some work, but it is a good concept.

I do think a more appealing layout would have been, well, more appealing. But aside from the Tide Gimmick the layout you chose doesn't cause a lot of playbility issues. The issues from the Tide Gimmick though? Well technically it's true that it would make KO's people off the edge more difficult for a temporary amount of time. But that just comes with the territory for this kind of gimmick so it's not too bad.

My biggest issue with the Tides is that they can cover the entire ground of the stage. Not a fan of that. There should always be solid land to fight on. I do appreciate that it takes less time for the tide to go away if it does cover the whole stage. But I think the ideal way to go would have been have the tide take less time to disappear the higher it goes, but never have it cover all of the stage.

D

Deleted member

Time for Round 35!

Now technically speaking, we have a tie for first place. 6 votes each for Nintendo Switch Stages and Crossover Stages. And remember Round 27 where we had a tie between two rounds that I just couldn't decide between for the tie-breaker vote? Well we've got another case like that here.

Last time I asked Cosmic77 to pick one of the two to be the next round in my stead. This time I asked TheMarioAddict to do so instead.

And his choice for what Round 35 will be is.............................

Nintendo Switch

The final one of these system specific rounds. We've already had Gamecube and Gameboy Advance and sine we only had room for 1 more I went with the one that doesn't have to worry about being featured without it's home console or handheld partner since, well, it doesn't have one. The Switch is both in one. Plus, it will nice to see what people make for stages from games that are, or will be, on the system that Smash Ultimate will release on.

As per usual no licensed games since the "no characters that did not originate from video games" rule will probably never be removed. But any other game on the Switch is eligible. Even ones that will be on the Switch but have yet to release.

Just keep in mind:

One stage per contestant
Only one game at a time. No combining multiple games into one unless they're from the same series. We're saving that for the Crossover Stages round.

And with that, on October 8th 2018, Round 35 has begun. You have until Friday, October 12th, at about 11:00pm Pacific Time to submit entries.

Good Luck!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Crystal Peak

(Hollow Knight)

Crystal Peak is one of the many areas that the Knight can explore in 2017’s acclaimed Indie Game, Hollow Knight. It was also the first place that I got hope that the game had colors aside from Black, white, gray and dark blue, as you can get to what is essentially the antechamber for Crystal Peak very early on in the Hallownest. It’s one of the more intense zones from this Metroidvania title as well, with some quick platforming needed, and it’s also a zone that gives The Knight some of his coolest upgrades.

So here’s the stage:

The primary part of the stage takes place on a chunk of stone that is completely safe to stand on. The bottom of the screen is littered with crystal spikes that will do some significant knock-up, though not a ton of damage. At 0% damage, the spikes will at least do enough knock-up to throw you back up to the main platform so you don’t have to worry about getting trapped down there. That said, you'd have to be at 120% with the most flighty character to be star-KO'd by falling into these spikes.

There are two platforms on the left and one on the right as well, with the same crystal spikes on the bottom of them. Those spikes will provide minimal knockback and only 2% damage, and can only be interacted with once every five seconds, so you won’t get trapped in an endless loop of being knocked up and down by the spikes. You can pass those spikes from above with no danger, and will travel through them from below the second time in the five second timeframe mentioned previously.

Those platforms appear to be connected to some sort of circular mechanism, what could they-

Ah.

One of the reasons that Crystal Peak is so fast paced in Hollow Knight is because these platforms will only hold The Knight for so long before turning over and tossing him down! If you stand on a platform for more than six seconds, it will turn. It will return to regular form two seconds after flipping.

These platforms could be manipulated in Hollow Knight as well- if you struck them, they would turn upside-down or rightway-up earlier than planned. Use this to your advantage, if your up special does damage when you are recovering back to the same platform you can recover back to a semi-safe position with ease. But, keep in mind that enemies utilizing projectiles can make you fall sooner than anticipated!

And that’s it! I think this stage encapsulates the area of Crystal Peak really well. You might be thinking- why a Hollow Knight stage? Of all the things that have been released for Switch?

I answer you, because this game is awesome. I was addicted to it on my cruise to Alaska earlier this year, playing handheld all across the ship. It is by far the game I’ve played the most in handheld format since getting the Switch, and it seemed like an obvious candidate to me, especially since we aren’t going to have an Indie Games 2 round. I suppose I could have kept it for Anything Goes 2, but I’ve got plans for that one… :)

Unlockable: Defeat the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy with the Beetle item.

Music:

Crystal Peak (A remix because this song is too chill for Smash lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziG-p9bpIro

Last edited:
Top Bottom