• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Patch 2.0.0 is Almost Here

Ultimate_Patch_2.jpg

On January 25th, 2019, Nintendo announced that the patch 2.0.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be distributed sometime within a week from now.

Much like the previous patch, we know very little about patch 2.0.0, the only known information is that replays made in earlier patches won’t be compatible anymore. If you want to keep your replays, it’s recommended to convert them to videos before you download patch 2.0.0. While that’s all the information we currently know, we can reasonably assume there will be gameplay adjustments in some form due to the replays not being compatible, but whether those are balance changes or just bug-fixes is up in the air. Something else to note is that the number jumped up all the way up to 2.0.0, which indicates that this patch will likely bring larger changes than before, and with that in mind it doesn’t seem too far-fetched of a possibility for this patch to be the one that adds Piranha Plant to Smash Ultimate.

Author’s Note: What are you hoping will or won’t happen in 2.0.0? Are you like the author and hope there won’t be any major nerfs in this update?

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

It would be cool if when an Inkling gets KO'd, a little squid spirit pops out where they fell and floats off the screen, just like in Splatoon.

Things I Want

Stage Builder

Online Squad Strike

The Ability to Change Your Character Without Getting Out of Line

Plant

Buffs For My People :ultjigglypuff::ultcloud:

D
Here's to hoping certain characters (especially the heavies) get hit with the Nerf Anvil while others (Chrom) gets Buff Juice.

I
Am
So
Afraid...

I don’t trust Nintendo at all with balance patches or their competitive mindset, the hope I see is that the game feels great right now, so as long as we don’t get too much tweaking off the bat I’ll be happy.

I think taking note of Krool will tell the future of the game:

Will they balance for casuals or not?

If he gets nerfed into the ground... we’re in trouble. Most of us know how to deal with him, even if his options are obnoxious, he’s not actually a very viable character at high level. If they balance him with nerfs AND buffs to counteract some of the toxicity- then we’re sitting pretty for future development I think.

I think a universal nerf to grounded knock back like it used to would fix a lot without ruining characters. It takes more force to plop you out of the ground too so it makes sense logically as well.

D
Another thing: This game needs to not punish players for leaving after being eliminated. It's a long, embarrassing time to wait.

Couple things I want to see changed in no apparent order.
1) Don't automatically proceed to character selection after picking stage. Give us the chance to change our minds like with the previous games and like with character selection without making us go back a screen.
2) Rematch option after finishing a game without forcing players to reselect everything.
3) Reduction of input lag.
4) More options for online, preferably to make the mode more like local Smash. Include things like Squad Strike and Tournament mode.
5) Dedicated Servers for online. It's insulting to make us pay for P2P connections
6) More indepth random stage options. I want to be able to set certain stages to Hazards on, certain stages to Hazards off, and other stages to default Battlefield/Omega. More control and variety goes a long way towards making levels more memorable.

I hope they will make the stage hazard toggle function like the omega and battlefield toggle. It's so inconvenient in the rules.

View attachment 188578

On January 25th, 2019, Nintendo announced that the patch 2.0.0 update for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be distributed sometime within a week from now.

Much like the previous patch, we know very little about patch 2.0.0, the only known information is that replays made in earlier patches won’t be compatible anymore. If you want to keep your replays, it’s recommended to convert them to videos before you download patch 2.0.0. While that’s all the information we currently know, we can reasonably assume there will be gameplay adjustments in some form due to the replays not being compatible, but whether those are balance changes or just bug-fixes is up in the air. Something else to note is that the number jumped up all the way up to 2.0.0, which indicates that this patch will likely bring larger changes than before, and with that in mind it doesn’t seem too far-fetched of a possibility for this patch to be the one that adds Piranha Plant to Smash Ultimate.

Author’s Note: What are you hoping will or won’t happen in 2.0.0? Are you like the author and hope there won’t be any major nerfs in this update?
I'm not too worried about changes but I don't want to see Peach/Daisy nerfed. She's been nerfed twice from Smash 2 to 3 to 4 (with some move set improvements). Maybe a small buff to all of their moves would be nice.

Last edited:
Couple things I want to see changed in no apparent order.
1) Don't automatically proceed to character selection after picking stage. Give us the chance to change our minds like with the previous games and like with character selection without making us go back a screen.
2) Rematch option after finishing a game without forcing players to reselect everything.
3) Reduction of input lag.
4) More options for online, preferably to make the mode more like local Smash. Include things like Squad Strike and Tournament mode.
5) Dedicated Servers for online. It's insulting to make us pay for P2P connections
6) More indepth random stage options. I want to be able to set certain stages to Hazards on, certain stages to Hazards off, and other stages to default Battlefield/Omega. More control and variety goes a long way towards making levels more memorable.
All of these are valid and widely desired, but what we'll actually get....

7) Piranha Plant
8) Greninja nerfs

The end

Does anyone actually use Sonic?
Not so much anymore, thank goodness. He was pure liquid cancer in sm4sh where his entire moveset consisted of only spindash into spring board into Dair, rinse repeat, rinse repeat. It's kinda horrifying how many ppl spam garbage like that and think they're good or that the game is fun to play. lol Now that they actually have to, you know, fight and stuff, I guess he's not so much fun these days.

D
I hope plant happens, and that nerfs won't.

I don't expect anything major apart from that, though an overhaul on online would be welcome.

Greninja nerf memes aside, I honestly think we're only going to see plant being released. Nintendo is mind-numbingly lazy when it comes to online improvements, so I strongly doubt they'll bother with anything in the near future if at all. As for nerfs, I doubt we'll see any given how young the game is and how beautifully balanced the characters are. If anything, we might see nerfs to the bury mechanic (SPLAT ROLLER) and that's about it. Judging by the fact that at least half the cast has won at least one tournament since release, I wouldn't say that any one character is OP enough to warrant nerfs at this point.

Last edited:
Word on the street is that the patch is dropping tonight. If so, that's kind of a bad sign. It means that plant won't be coming until a follow up patch and we'll likely be in for a slew of premature balancing...

Word on the street is that the patch is dropping tonight. If so, that's kind of a bad sign. It means that plant won't be coming until a follow up patch and we'll likely be in for a slew of premature balancing...
I'll be very surprised if a full +1.0.0 version update is just balancing. Expecting Plant, or some kind of overhaul or new mode if not. Either way this will give better insight in what to expect of future versions. Sm4sh only updated in 0.0.1 increments for balancing, DLC, everything.

All of these are valid and widely desired, but what we'll actually get....

7) Piranha Plant
8) Greninja nerfs

The end
I wouldn't really be against getting Piranha Plant, so long as they make playing another match less of a chore than it is right now.

I'll be very surprised if a full +1.0.0 version update is just balancing. Expecting Plant, or some kind of overhaul or new mode if not. Either way this will give better insight in what to expect of future versions. Sm4sh only updated in 0.0.1 increments for balancing, DLC, everything.
I try not to be too optimistic, but I just read a comment from a 3rd party game developer that claims they have contacts with Namco Bandai. Supposedly, Smash Ultimate was planned to include more modes like Target Smash, that angry birds bomb version of target smash, and smash run, but they were cut due to time constraints. I gotta say, if they ever decided to finally patch in more modes, I'd be totally down for that, especially smash run. I hear they patched a lot of modes into the Kirby switch game after release so I guess there's always hope.

Top Bottom