• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I have honestly just used my Pokemon's nicknames every time I referred to them.
All of them are also "this dude" when I don't use their name.

I am a simple man.
I'd do that if I didn't suck at giving nicknames to my Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd do that but I'm actually really bad at giving nicknames to Pokemon.
Even bad nicknames become endearing when you start using them.

In a Pokemon tabletop RPG I was playing (I know it's not the handheld game but same thing applies), I caught a Wingull and my DM at the time LOVES Wingull- I don't care too much for them so I named it "Shoe" to spite it and it ended up being a very well loved Pokemon hahaha

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd do that but I'm actually really bad at giving nicknames to Pokemon.
I stopped nicknaming my Pokemon after the 3rd generation. The only reason I did it was because in the Pokemon Stadium titles, your Pokemon's nickname affected its body color; a trait that doesn't exist in Pokemon Colosseum and the Pokemon titles that came after that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A little off-topic, but I think we need to update the poll at the top of this thread. Apparently, there's 39 people who think we're only getting 1-2 characters, even though we've already got 3.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Just remember that the Venasaur in the first movie was called Bruteroot. You will always be able to do better than that

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I did a truly random snap (thanks to an online randomizer), and these 34 survived.

:ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultzss::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpichu::ultgreninja:
:ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultike::ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultmiifighters::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultduckhunt:

Meaning these 34 were wiped out...

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultridley::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultwario::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultbayonetta:

Now, it is perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
And now, to watch the sun rise on a grateful thread.
Sorry, I had to...
Ike manages to hit Master Gauntlet with aether, but it is ineffective. A hush falls over the battlefield as Master Gauntlet snaps. Then Link watches in horror as Mario starts to dissolve before his eyes...

One by one, Earth’s defenders fade to ash. Peach runs to help Daisy up, but the flower princess is stunned as her best friend dissapears. Popo, having lost Nana during the fight, seems relieved to be leaving the world as well. Jigglypuff hears Pichu calling for her as she crumbles...

Samus had just recently fought Master Gauntlet out on Zebes with Fox, Pit, Mewtwo, and the Pokémon Trainer. She removes her helmet and watches as they slowly fade away. Squirtle looks distraught, and she hugs him tightly as he crumbles in her arms...

Back on Earth, Link gatheres the remaining survivors and surveys the casualties. A broken ROB lays at his feet. In grief, he collapses to the ground with a faint “Oh Goddesses...” Zelda runs to his side, visibly nauseated from losing her friends. The Duck Hunt dog hangs his head and whimpers as the screen fades to black.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
M-my mains all of them, S-sheik? Lucina? Corrin? Lucario? Palutena?
Pit: Kat? I don't feel so good...
P.Kat: Pit! Are you alright? Tell me you're alright.
Pit: I don't know, I don't know what's happening... I don't... I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go... Kat, please... Please. I don't wanna go. I don't wanna go. I'm sorry. (disappears into non-existence)
*falls to my knee screaming at the sky* Nooooooooo.
You...you need to stop
I think the new stages are doing a pretty good job of diversity. Even though New Donk City is the poster child for Odyssey, it isn't the first area of the game. For Splatoon, I was expecting Urchin Underpass, but we ended up getting Moray Towers (a DLC stage) instead.

Great Plateau Tower is really the only stage so far that represents the first area of a game, and even then, it makes more sense than any other area from BotW.
Diversity > stages based on first areas of games, so getting the goat New Donk City (alongside Pauline) is perfection (though the now non-dlc Moray Towers being a stage is good enough)

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I did a truly random snap (thanks to an online randomizer), and these 34 survived.

:ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultzss::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpichu::ultgreninja:
:ultfalcon::ultness::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultike::ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultmiifighters::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultduckhunt:

Meaning these 34 were wiped out...

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultridley::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultrobin:ultcorrin::ultwario::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultbayonetta:

Now, it is perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
And now, to watch the sun rise on a grateful thread.
A missed opportunity on Mega Man, IMO.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
"But if we keep adding more popular characters to Super Smash Bros., it would later end up eating up the contents itself, and lessen everyone’s surprises. If we were to have 100 fighters in a Super Smash Bros. game and then added the 101st fighter to it, I don’t think it would ever generate as much hype as now. That’s why I think this is the best time to draw the line". - Sakurai on DLC

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"But if we keep adding more popular characters to Super Smash Bros., it would later end up eating up the contents itself, and lessen everyone’s surprises. If we were to have 100 fighters in a Super Smash Bros. game and then added the 101st fighter to it, I don’t think it would ever generate as much hype as now. That’s why I think this is the best time to draw the line". - Sakurai on DLC
aw yeah we're gonna get 100 characters and not a drop more
that's like, 32 newcomers or something

/s

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Have we figured out what that smash event is that got announced on Twitter?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And this is why I think we need those relevant but not highly requested characters to flesh out the roster. If we add Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Waluigi, Bandana Dee and every other popular character in Ultimate, who else would there be to add for Smash 6? Nintendo can't create new successful franchises like Splatoon at the same rate Smash games are being produced, and the number of older characters is dwindling fast. The hype for characters will continue to decrease unless Sakurai purposely saves a few for future installments.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: What the- did we travel back to the past or something? Link's a kid! What's going on here, Mei Ling?

Mei Ling: I'm definitely not the person you should be talking to about time travel... Thankfully, Otacon apparently left some notes on "every Link" that you might meet in battle, according to this title.

Snake: Well that's handy... What does it say about this little guy? He has a wooden shield with a red spiral...

Mei Ling: Let's see... okay, it looks like you're facing Young Link, who's apparently no stranger to Smash. There's not too many things that are different about him except his age and smaller body size, his Fire Arrows, and his... love of Lon-Lon Milk?

Snake: Milk, huh? He's a growing boy, obviously he should drink plenty of milk. But those Fire Arrows... I hope this sneaking suit is flameproof, or this game might become M-Rated...

Mei Ling: Snake, stop putting images like that in my head, it's weird, and you're also in front of a child!

Snake: ...Sorry about that.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
And this is why I think we need those relevant but not highly requested characters to flesh out the roster. If we add Ridley, K. Rool, Geno, Waluigi, Bandana Dee and every other popular character in Ultimate, who else would there be to add for Smash 6? Nintendo can't create new successful franchises like Splatoon at the same rate Smash games are being produced, and the number of older characters is dwindling fast. The hype for characters will continue to decrease unless Sakurai purposely saves a few for future installments.
3rd parties help that a lot. Just saying.
Can I get some context to this post? You just kinda dropped it in here without quoting anybody and I don't know when Sakurai said this so.....is this about Ultimate?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: What the- did we travel back to the past or something? Link's a kid! What's going on here, Mei Ling?

Mei Ling: I'm definitely not the person you should be talking to about time travel... Thankfully, Otacon apparently left some notes on "every Link" that you might meet in battle, according to this title.

Snake: Well that's handy... What does it say about this little guy? He has a wooden shield with a red spiral...

Mei Ling: Let's see... okay, it looks like you're facing Young Link, who's apparently no stranger to Smash. There's not too many things that are different about him except his age and smaller body size, his Fire Arrows, and his... love of Lon-Lon Milk?

Snake: Milk, huh? He's a growing boy, obviously he should drink plenty of milk. But those Fire Arrows... I hope this sneaking suit is flameproof, or this game might become M-Rated...

Mei Ling: Snake, stop putting images like that in my head, it's weird, and you're also in front of a child!

Brings new meaning to the term Naked Snake, huh :troll:

im sorry I just HAD to crack that joke

Have we figured out what that smash event is that got announced on Twitter?
It’s a couple of streamed tournaments for Smash Ultimate and Mario Tennis Aces in Japan. It’s worth noting that Nintendo is actually covering these, as they didn’t cover the France event or CEO. We might get something, we might not. It’s more likely to be the latter.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
There's not gonna be a smash 6 for a long time, that seems like a dumb reason to hold back characters. By that time we'll have plenty of new faces in every franchise and plenty of new ips to work with.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Way I see it, since the Switch is doing phenomenally well, we may not even get another Nintendo console for a good 6-8 years, longer if it goes above and beyond in success. So this may be the last Smash for a good long while, BUT it will continually be getting new content, new characters, new quality of life updates over the years.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I do have to say I feel like Sakurai could have been a bit more clear about how the Ballot works, because it was extremely ambiguous and misleading.

The word Ballot made it seem like it was a popularity poll to a lot of people, but it was worded and structured like a suggestion box, but then Bayonetta got in because she got a high number of votes (Or so we at least thought) so it was all really just confusing and misleading and just had a severe lack of clarity.

If it was just explained straightforward there would have been more clarity and less miscommunication between players.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Paramedic: Hmm... according to the guide: Lon-Lon Milk helps you restore vitality, though it also says the stronger you are, the less effective it is.
Big Boss: "Lon-Lon Milk", huh? I'll have to try some for myself.
Paramedic: Snake?
Big Boss: Yes?
Paramedic: You aren't... thinking of mugging a child for a bottle of milk, are you?
Big Boss: Of course not, I was just going to ask him for some nicely.
Paramedic: ...I don't know why, but I don't believe you.
Big Boss: I have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
3rd parties help that a lot. Just saying.
Sakurai can't keep adding and adding third-parties to Smash without costs and complications completely overwhelming him. We already have five companies involved in Smash. Imagine how difficult it would be to juggle seven or eight companies with over 15 third-party characters.

Third-parties might save Sakurai from worrying about one or two spots on the roster, but he could never depend on them the same way he could with Nintendo characters. If he wants to flesh out the roster, he'll have to work with what he's got.

There's not gonna be a smash 6 for a long time, that seems like a dumb reason to hold back characters. By that time we'll have plenty of new faces in every franchise and plenty of new ips to work with.
Will we though? Most of the iconic Nintendo franchises stick with the same core cast in every game. Can we safely say that we'll have plenty of newcomers to choose from if we add all of the popular characters at once? And as for new IPs, Nintendo usually creates about one or two new successful IPs with every new console. Can we safely say we'll get enough new IPs to fill up ten or more spots on the roster?

I can understand why Sakurai would want to be conservative, especially after making Brawl's roster. Most of the iconic A-list characters are already in Smash, and a majority of the options we have left would be considered bottom of the barrel in comparison. Instead of wasting everything at once, I think it would be wise to put a small limititation on how many highly requested characters get into one Smash game.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Sakurai can't keep adding and adding third-parties to Smash without costs and complications completely overwhelming him. We already have five companies involved in Smash. Imagine how difficult it would be to juggle seven or eight companies with over 15 third-party characters.

Third-parties might save Sakurai from worrying about one or two spots on the roster, but he could never depend on them the same way he could with Nintendo characters. If he wants to flesh out the roster, he'll have to work with what he's got.

Will we though? Most of the iconic Nintendo franchises stick with the same core cast in every game. Can we safely say that we'll have plenty of newcomers to choose from if we add all of the popular characters at once? And as for new IPs, Nintendo usually creates about one or two new successful IPs with every new console. Can we safely say we'll get enough new IPs to fill up ten or more spots on the roster?

I can understand why Sakurai would want to be conservative, especially after making Brawl's roster. Most of the iconic A-list characters are already in Smash, and a majority of the options we have left would be considered bottom of the barrel in comparison. Instead of wasting everything at once, I think it would be wise to put a small limititation on how many highly requested characters get into one Smash game.
I agree with your 3rd Party argument. Sakurai ain't some god that can juggle 20 licenses at once. And honestly, I'm happy with the 3rd parties we have so far

D

Deleted member

Just noticed something on Luigi's page:

His "L" on his cap is still green in his Waluigi alt.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I agree. Just putting in popular characters is boring imo.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

There's always gonna be new fire emblem characters, xenoblade characters, pokemon characters. And as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby etc get new games they'll have new characters to go along with them. I don't think sakurai should hold back for the sake of saving characters for future instalments that may not even happen

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
There's always gonna be new fire emblem characters, xenoblade characters, pokemon characters. And as Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby etc get new games they'll have new characters to go along with them. I don't think sakurai should hold back for the sake of saving characters for future instalments that may not even happen
Just to add on to this, doesn't sakurai treat every smash game like the last, if this is the case, it wouldn't make much sense to hold back characters if sakurai still holds this in his head.

KMDP

Smash Legend
As Sakurai already does, you should treat every game as if it is the last. Pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom