• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Kills Controllers

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
So I just realized how many Cube controllers I've been through because of Smash. My wavebird is almost done for. Should I risk tearing up my WiiMotes/Nunchucks for smash? Seeing as how WiiMotes are considerably more expensive than Cube controllers.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Let the destroying commence!

Though really, you tore up controllers? I've only messed up one controller in the 7 years of playing.

Teej

Smash Cadet
The Wiimote can fly through windows, TV's, and even fall from great distances. I think a game won't be a problem. XD

Mr_Smiley

Smash Rookie
Let the destroying commence!

Though really, you tore up controllers? I've only messed up one controller in the 7 years of playing.
0 for me. Though I probably don't play as hard or as often as some of you more 'hardcore' dudes.

MattTheGameFreak

Smash Apprentice
Well.. It depend on person to person and how they play Melee. Personally, in an appox. 200 hours of gameplay, two or so controllers have been considerable weakened in their sensitivity. Super Smash Bros. is the only game I've seen disable the sensitivity of Gamecube controllers.

Only if there was a way to make a controller that never lost any sensitivity... The Wiimote might be good for you if you keep destroying the sensitivity of the Gamecube analog sticks.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Try to get yourself a good old fashioned Nintendo GC controller. The one I've had has lasted me years and it's still in near perfect condition. I've abused it to death (I play 4-6 melee sessions a month) and I'm a competitive smashers and it still works perfectly.

Don't bother buying third party controllers if you can avoid it. Wireless especially. Stick with first party GC controllers. If you can't find those, only then do you move on to third party, but still, do some research and make sure to buy non-wireless.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
My wavebird just died last month for no particular reason, and that's the only controller that has ever stopped working for me.

That includes NES controllers.
(although Mario Party did kinda mess up the analog sticks on my N64 controllers)

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I lost the rubber off the top of my joystick, the shoulders are loose, and the joystick is a little wobbly. No doubt my gamecube pad has seen hell, any yet it still has full functionality, and I know people like my friends who have borrowed it who are worse than me and their bratty baby sisters throw tantrums.

My pads are beaten and bruised but I can't see how in the WORLD you can put it out of commission. Do you throw? smash? bite? stomp on it?

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
My wavebird just died last month for no particular reason, and that's the only controller that has ever stopped working for me.

(although Mario Party did kinda mess up the analog sticks on my N64 controllers)
i thought that only happened to me :chuckle:

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
Try to get yourself a good old fashioned Nintendo GC controller. The one I've had has lasted me years and it's still in near perfect condition. I've abused it to death (I play 4-6 melee sessions a month) and I'm a competitive smashers and it still works perfectly.

Don't bother buying third party controllers if you can avoid it. Wireless especially. Stick with first party GC controllers. If you can't find those, only then do you move on to third party, but still, do some research and make sure to buy non-wireless.
Wavebirds are first party controllers. And I play for at least one and a half to two hours a night. That's why I've put some out of commission. Though they still work, they are not Smash worthy (exceedingly low sensitivity/loss of button firmness). Still, I will probably stick to cube controllers for the first month or so. Then I'll make the switch to Wiimote/Nunchuck setup.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

In speaking of N64 controllers and Mario Party, I think Mario Party rather did damage to my palm than the controller. X_X Had a big bruise on my palm from rotating so **** much back in 3rd grade...

Feh...the controller was probably laughing at me that I was the one injured and not it >:(

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
How can you break a GCN controller? Oo

They're a lot more durable then the controllers before. I still have all of mine working, except for one, which was the first GCN controller I ever had. It didn't break from gameplay, it broke cause I kept dropping it on a very hard surface.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
i thought that only happened to me :chuckle:
no, that happened to EVERYONE mario party or not.

N64 joysticks were fundamentally flawed and all got loose with time unless you treated it like a princess.

the reason why is there is a kind of foam wrap in there if you take it apart, and as you move the joystick around it slowly tears that stuff up.

we opened our original gray one when it was like completely loose, and it was like a confetti show in there.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Wavebirds are first party controllers. And I play for at least one and a half to two hours a night. That's why I've put some out of commission. Though they still work, they are not Smash worthy (exceedingly low sensitivity/loss of button firmness). Still, I will probably stick to cube controllers for the first month or so. Then I'll make the switch to Wiimote/Nunchuck setup.
Sorry about that. I always think MadCatz when I think of wireless for some reason.

Either way though, from what I've heard, wireless isn't as good if you're a competitive smasher since the timing is a bit delayed compared to wired controllers. I play Melee at my friend's dorm every once in a while and I tried his wavebirds. They just don't feel as good. I feel like everything's slowed down.

Also, am I the only one that's noticed a difference in the way black and silver wired controllers play? Black just seems so much better for some reason. Maybe I'm crazy.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
yeah I know, I stayed away from 3rd part accessories for a long time because of people like madcatz and pelican (TERRIBLE STUFF) or like gamestop made accessories.

but believe it or not there is good stuff out there. I have been impressed with recent companies like Nyko, Thrustmaster, Snakebyte etc.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Smash brothers hasn't killed any controllers of mine yet. However, it was killing my hands. It wasn't until DBZ:BT3, which I love, hurt my hands more then ssbm, and then I finally got used to it and controllers don't hurt my hands anymore.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
6 years of using my GC controller everyday (about 4 hours average) and the worst that has happened is my C stick getting glitchy (I fixed it).

What the fudge do you do to yours? chew them?

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
6 years of using my GC controller everyday (about 4 hours average) and the worst that has happened is my C stick getting glitchy (I fixed it).

What the fudge do you do to yours? chew them?
You can't honestly say that your controller hasn't lost sensitivity. It happens, whether you notice it or not.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Wow...I've never destroyed my controller playing Smash.

Mario Party on the other hand...

EDIT: Oh yes, sensitivity has gone down slightly though on my Wavebird, but hey if I'm using a Wavebird to play Smash I obviously don't care too much about twitch control anyway.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
I've been through... 1...2...3....4... controllers. One is on its way soon enough. I play Captain Falcon, and I have a Fox friend, too...so its bound to happen.

Thino

Smash Master
smash destroys controllers? haha you obviously never played MARIO PARTY 1 , your controller is done for the afternoon

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
I've been through... 1...2...3....4... controllers. One is on its way soon enough. I play Captain Falcon, and I have a Fox friend, too...so its bound to happen.
This guy understands. Like I said: Smash kills controllers...

(Unless you play casual. Pro is alot more fast-paced. No offense to casuals; I enjoy a good friendly match every once in a while.)

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Wavebirds are BY FAR the best option for smash. I only have one, but a friend of mine has one also so that is 2 of the controller ports right there.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I actually could use some help though. My C stick on my GC controller today wasn't working very well when I was trying to use it on melee in battle. Though it seemed to be fine outside of battle, and all my other games.

I tried resetting my controller and it didn't work. Is this a common glitch or something? Any insight would be appreciated.

EToaster

Smash Apprentice
Well, without things like wavedashing and dash dancing, Brawl should be at least a little bit easier on controllers I would think.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo's marketing ploy =D

Why do you think they still make GCN controllers? =O

drengist

Smash Journeyman
Both of my controllers are still in a fine condition. I don't understand how you manage to break yours.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Isn't that funny? I still have my first Gamecube controller that I used to play Melee and its stick has only gotten a litte looser. I don't make much noise when I play, even technical characters like Fox and Ness. I guess I'm just gentle.

Sharky

Smash Master
I had to give up on my first wavebird over christmas break. Had it since they first came out. Very sad, very sad.
=(

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
I was paradoxally a huge Smash Bros fan (loved the N64 version and played it for years) but never invested in a Gamecube, because my hard earned money was precious and I bought an X-box.

I finally got my hands on a Wii last August (got Melee with my Wii, that was the main force that drove me to buy it!), and I cheaped out and bought 3 *new* third-party controllers. I can't believe it, but all three have something wrong with them!

I bought two first party controllers after my first two non-nintendo crapped out, and have had no problem with them. One of them was even used!

I've heard it was bad to wrap your cord around the controllers (to make them easier to put away), but surely they should be able to handle the strain!

Well, my first controller did the classic thing where it asks as if the joystick is pushed up slightly at time (causing the hand in the character select screen to drift up for example, and definitely screwing your nairs).

My other two were worn out by my older brother. He's played a lot of Smash, but he's also kind of a troll with the controllers. He doesn't throw them or anything, he just plays them real hard with his giant fingers. Long story short, the A/B buttons stick in at times (mechanical, it's not gunk filled or anything).

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm pretty much a Smash bros noob.

Any tips of which controller I use and what I can do to prevent breaking it? I REALLY don't want a broken controller :urg:

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
3 of my controllers are dead =/ 1 jumps every time you press the shield buttons, 1 doesn't have a working c-stick and stuck buttons, 1 has an analog stick that doesn't work too well.

Top Bottom