• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS Info Thread - Risen from the dead by the psychic power of DLC

Dairz

Smash Ace
Dunno if this has been pointed out, but Luigi actually has a new jab. Its easy to miss, but its clearly different from Mario's.

Comparison:
ml jabs.png

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yup Ike joins the battle! His design has been slightly redone, he looks a tad different both in costume and also features.

EDIT: Ah that's why, he's been remodeled to look more like the RD design I hear?

His actual moveset seems very similar from the photos. Still, the fact that he's there means some VERY interesting things regarding who we all thought would get cut this time around. I actually suspect now that Sakurai is making an active effort to keep in everyone he possibly can, at least from Brawl.

Last edited:

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
The only way I can see the NFC being used correctly is by the Custom Movesets. As long as they don't interfere with gameplay too much, i'm fine with them.
I could see it being with post-game release, they can still reveal characters for us to play as, unlock able via NFC.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I could see it being with post-game release, they can still reveal characters for us to play as, unlock able via NFC.
I hope not, that would hurt the experience for me tbh. Unlocking characters is cool and rewarding and buying them instead is just dumb.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yup Ike joins the battle! His design has been slightly redone, he looks a tad different both in costume and also features.

EDIT: Ah that's why, he's been remodeled to look more like the RD design I hear?

His actual moveset seems very similar from the photos. Still, the fact that he's there means some VERY interesting things regarding who we all thought would get cut this time around. I actually suspect now that Sakurai is making an active effort to keep in everyone he possibly can, at least from Brawl.
Personally, I was never confident that Ike would get cut. I think the whole "Marth and 1 new character" system was bogus, because it was based on the transition from Melee to Brawl. You can't deduce a trend from a single instance. The way I see it, the only reason Roy was cut and Ike was put it was because Roy was a clone, and Ike happened to be a popular character at the time with the potential for moveset characteristics that were somewhat reminiscent of Roy's (slower, more powerful, explodey B attack).

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Personally, I was never confident that Ike would get cut. I think the whole "Marth and 1 new character" system was bogus, because it was based on the transition from Melee to Brawl. You can't deduce a trend from a single instance. The way I see it, the only reason Roy was cut and Ike was put it was because Roy was a clone, and Ike happened to be a popular character at the time with the potential for moveset characteristics that were somewhat reminiscent of Roy's (slower, more powerful, explodey B attack).
HEXTUPLEY YOU'RE BACK @.@

I missed ya buddy ;_;

And yes, you're right, but a single instance does mean that there's the possibility of it happening again, which is what some people capitalised on. Not necessarily a trend, but an idea that people jumped on when they decided half of Brawl's characters would end up cut. :p

More than a few people have made long and excruciating posts on why they think that list of chars wouldn't return, so it ended up being somewhat doubtful for us because we were listening to people everyday making these points.

That discussion was even brought up in the BR a few times iirc. So it's not that we ever really wanted it, more so just that we feared it. :3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Roy was meant to be playable in Brawl along with Mewtwo(they both have too much character to show otherwise. Dixie Kong was outright said to be worked on, but he couldn't get her to work. The other 4 of the Forbidden 7 are up in the air. It could be assumed that Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik, being new characters, were planned too at one point. Only Dr. Mario of the named ones might've been a placeholder for something, like a chooseable version of Mario like you could do with Samus and Zero Suit Samus, minus the ability to transform. Pra_Mai is obviously hard to tell). Marth + new FE guy was never even some planned trend. That's just something people think was the case.

Probably something to keep in mind. 3 FE characters was the Brawl plan, and so was 7 Pokemon, and 3 DK characters. This is why you can't follow just who made it into the game, and look more into it to find out the truth.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's absent from the OP: Handicaps were confirmed. In the Direct, DK is shown being KO'd and respawning with 30% damage (as opposed to 0%).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it's absent from the OP: Handicaps were confirmed. In the Direct, DK is shown being KO'd and respawning with 30% damage (as opposed to 0%).
That could be a specific Special Mode. Handicaps could be like 64/Melee's. We should wait for more information just in case, since there's two completely different versions of Handicap among the series.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
The only way I can see the NFC being used correctly is by the Custom Movesets. As long as they don't interfere with gameplay too much, i'm fine with them.
How about a Mewtwo NFC that makes him playable in the game...oh god i am going to get some hate

D

Deleted member

How about a Mewtwo NFC that makes him playable in the game...oh god i am going to get some hate
I'm pretty sure most people would really hate having to pay extra money for Mewtwo.

I just realized though; if only the Wii U vesion uses NFC, then doesn't that deconfirm the possibility of the figures being used for DLC? The roster for both games is supposed to be the same after all.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
My main trouble with NFC exclusives is it puts a great deal of the game's content on a timer. When NFC's become rare collector's items, some of the game will become closed off to most players. Having games with little longevity is something consoles have been trying to avoid, particularly Nintendo. Inevitably, you end up with stuff like eReader where much of the game is inaccessible (although this'll probably end up more popular, it's still going to be a problem). If, however, NFC is merely used to transfer custom movesets and unlock characters that can be unlocked by other means as well, it's fine.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
A New Super Mario Bros. U stage, Mushroom Kingdom U, was shown today. It changes layouts and terrain similar to how Pokemon Stadium and Castle Siege did. It's exclusive to Wii U.

Oh, and one tidbit from Thursday's pic: Ike's Eruption will now shine when it is fully charged- this will be an indicator to unleash the attack before Ike suffers recoil damage.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
A New Super Mario Bros. U stage, Mushroom Kingdom U, was shown today. It changes layouts and terrain similar to how Pokemon Stadium and Castle Siege did. It's exclusive to Wii U.

Oh, and one tidbit from Thursday's pic: Ike's Eruption will now shine when it is fully charged- this will be an indicator to unleash the attack before Ike suffers recoil damage.
Today's update also deconfirm Kamek as he is part of the stage hazard, changing the stage during the battles.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Today's update also deconfirm Kamek as he is part of the stage hazard, changing the stage during the battles.
No, it doesn't.

Kamek is the name of the Magikoopa race in Japan. That's (also) a direct translation of the race name. We're better off waiting until we see if it's literally Kamek or a regular Magikoopa. The translator kind of has to translate what's there, and it could've been the race name instead of the character name, that Sakurai meant. It's too iffy to really say it's confirmed at this point.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
No, it doesn't.

Kamek is the name of the Magikoopa race in Japan. That's (also) a direct translation of the race name. We're better off waiting until we see if it's literally Kamek or a regular Magikoopa. The translator kind of has to translate what's there, and it could've been the race name instead of the character name, that Sakurai meant. It's too iffy to really say it's confirmed at this point.
Precisely, but it's not just Magikoopa and Kamek sharing the same name.

The exact phrase on Japanese Miiverse is: カメックの魔法などによって、ステージは大きく変化!

The official translation is: "When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically!"

However, a more literal translation of the Japanese is something like: "Due to the likes of Kamek's magic, the stage has big changes!"

However, there's no way to know if it's referring to a specific Kamek or not. Given the lack of articles in Japanese and the fact Kamek and the Magikoopa species have the same name in Japan, the phrase above could mean one of the following:
- Kamek's (the character) magic changes the stage.
- A Magikoopa's (the species) magic changes the stage.
- The Magikoopas' (implying several of them) magic change the stage.

In other words, the phrase is ambiguous and without proper context, it can't be fully translated, leaving some details up to the translator.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Precisely, but it's not just Magikoopa and Kamek sharing the same name.

The exact phrase on Japanese Miiverse is: カメックの魔法などによって、ステージは大きく変化!

The official translation is: "When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically!"

However, a more literal translation of the Japanese is something like: "Due to the likes of Kamek's magic, the stage has big changes!"

However, there's no way to know if it's referring to a specific Kamek or not. Given the lack of articles in Japanese and the fact Kamek and the Magikoopa species have the same name in Japan, the phrase above could mean one of the following:
- Kamek's (the character) magic changes the stage.
- A Magikoopa's (the species) magic changes the stage.
- The Magikoopas' (implying several of them) magic change the stage.

In other words, the phrase is ambiguous and without proper context, it can't be fully translated, leaving some details up to the translator.
Exactly.

Also, as previously said, we can't confirm Handicap mode at this time. It's likely the Brawl version is back, but it could be a new mode similar to Super Sudden Death instead(which was basically what Brawl's Handicap mode turned into).

I remember how weirdly translated the earlier picture for the Koume & Kotake one was. The context of the Japanese post was "Are they evil?" compared to "They are definitely evil". Translation alone aren't perfect, something to keep in mind. :)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
No, it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it is considering Kamek is a higher ranked member of Bowser's army comparing to a number of Magikoopas. Then again, Magikoopas are confirmed to be an enemy in the 3DS version of Smash Run

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm pretty sure it is considering Kamek is a higher ranked member of Bowser's army comparing to a number of Magikoopas. Then again, Magikoopas are confirmed to be an enemy in the 3DS version of Smash Run
That doesn't matter what people "think" it is. We don't know if it's actually Kamek or a Magikoopa, period. Also, Kamek(the character) was given the name Fang as a nickname in Japan, so it would make even more sense for Sakurai to use his more direct name, and to have the translator use Kamek instead, if he wanted to outright specify it was the character Kamek. Of course, Sakurai isn't perfect with research, either.

This is for actually confirmed stuff, and being in Smash Run doesn't mean jack either. A regular Magikoopa changing the course is no less believable than Kamek doing it. We can't use iffy information here. Read Frostwraith's post as well. It's unreliable due to the translation differences. We have to see directly if it's Kamek or a Magikoopa. We cannot rely on a poor name and possible translation problem at all. Unconfirmed which version it is, respectively.

Remember, this isn't a topic for speculation either. Do we know for sure if it's the character Kamek changing the course? The answer is plainly no because we actually did our own research. It's also rather easy to believe Sakurai just meant a Magikoopa too. Also, since we've gotten bad translations before, it makes the current US translation even less reliable.

Booster

Smash Lord
I wish there weren't so many references to Metroid Other M, that game **** on the face of one of the best videogame series to ever exist.

Xigger

Smash Lord
If Ridley becomes part of the roster, they can talk about Other M all they wanted and I wouldn't care. Still, Dark Samus reduced to an assist trophy ;~;
Are we surprised? Japantendo doesn't like American-made Metroid Prime (Dark Samus games), they much prefer their Japanese-made Other M. (Baby Ridley 4 sm4sh)

I wish I could change which game designs were used too. Twilight Princes isn't Zelda's most flattering reincarnation...

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Do remember that this is a "List of Confirmed Stuff" thread, not a "OMG THIS AND THAT SUCKS" thread.

Speaking of new stuff, the Wii U gets ANOTHER new stage this week- the Coliseum from various FE games. It seems to operate in the same manner as the 3DS's Arena Ferox, although judging by the caption, the platforms may activate due to the agency of the characters.

Top Bottom