• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Here's a question for y'all. Do you think they'll do mini-trailers for returning third parties again, like what they did for Sonic in Smash 4?
Yeah probably. Making a trailer just with in game footage would take like half a day at max. Due to the short time between the announcement and release it might just be one trailer featuring Sonic, Mega Man, Pac and whoever else returns.

D

Deleted member

Marx seems like a cool villian and Kirby character wouldn't mind seeing him in Smash in some form.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Even if Sakurai did go with Leaf for a Marth clone, that's still a bad argument to make. Clones take up a lot less time to develop than an unique character and there was no room in Melee's roster for a second unique Fire Emblem character. How does Roy as a last-minute clone in a franchise that was already getting Marth compare to getting an entire franchise in with a unique character who's franchise debuted after the roster was decided?
Melee, Brawl, and Smash 3DS & Wii U all included characters because of fan demand. Why would this game be any different, especially since the ballot will influence future character additions?
Again, different goalposts because IT HAPPENED. Just because it happened to be a low effort clone means jack, Sakurai gets inside information, he'd be told ARMS was a thing and that Nintendo plans to push it, and the moveset is what's important to the guy. I don't get why you're so focused on something like this when again, Sakurai gets inside information and Nintendo can easily say "We plan on making this the next Splatoon" and that would be more than enough!
Also Wii Fit Trainer didn't HAVE demand and was chosen because of that

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I read somewhere on here earlier (might have been in here, may have been the Social thread) someone bringing up the possibility of there potentially being a Smash demo coming after the Invitational.

How well do you think they'd scrub the demo to avoid unintentional data leaks, considering how almost the entire base game of Kirby Star Allies was leaked through the demo? How well was the SM4SH 3DS demo scrubbed?
There's a danger of them doing that, even though it's needed for their online.

If they did it, the game gets datamined, and within 24 hours we learn everything. Ruins the surprise

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's a question for y'all. Do you think they'll do mini-trailers for returning third parties again, like what they did for Sonic in Smash 4?
Probably. Especially if said characters get updates to their moves or appearances.

Like, for instance if Mega Man had changed slightly to mirror Mega Man 11's style, or if Bayonetta 3, changes Bayo's design again, which I'm expecting for her at least, but I could be wrong.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Pyra is meant to be there
Eh.... not sure what do you mean by this, even if she's in the game, chances are she won't be playable... she will be nearly in the same position as Pokemon Trainer is... just on the back stage, or more tie into he original game and similar to Duck Hunt a bit where she is in the stage but she cannot be damaged... same for other Blades that Rex uses.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
anybody else hoping that they'll do character reveal trailers for newcomers? i enjoyed that part of getting a new character everytime i watched a direct.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
no ridley, no buy.

also where do you go to make a roster like this?
I dunno, @Megadoomer made this for me
Eh.... not sure what do you mean by this, even if she's in the game, chances are she won't be playable... she will be nearly in the same position as Pokemon Trainer is... just on the back stage, or more tie into he original game and similar to Duck Hunt a bit where she is in the stage but she cannot be damaged... same for other Blades that Rex uses.
I mean she'll be there as a constant ally for Rex like Nana. Except she can't be killed, she just follows in the background, making Rex stronger when she's near enough. And Rex can give her the blade for certain attacks, just like the original.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Everyone's arguing over Pyra's dress sense, and I'm here wondering if she'll "play" like Nana or Pokemon Trainer.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I mean she'll be there as a constant ally for Rex like Nana. Except she can't be killed, she just follows in the background, making Rex stronger when she's near enough. And Rex can give her the blade for certain attacks, just like the original.
Exactly, this can apply for other two rare Blades for Rex as well.

And similar to Shulk having his Monado symbol on this character damage% profile. There can be an actual Blade chart on Rex's damage % as well. Where it will show which Blade is ready to swap, and which is not, like in the game.
Also my other Blade picks for Rex are Zenobia and KOS MOS. KOS MOS is highly feasible since she has appeared in crossover games like Project X Zone, and also XC2 as guest character and a Blade.

And... you have played XC2 right? lol
Everyone's arguing over Pyra's dress sense, and I'm here wondering if she'll "play" like Nana or Pokemon Trainer.
Not anymore, fortunately. Because that's pointless and off topic in this thread.
If anyone really wants to argue that, go somewhere else.

Definitely the combination of Nana and Pokemon Trainer, this will make sense if you actually know how Blade works (non spoiler obviously). Where she is on the stage but she can't get hit... or hit others unless Rex' use special attack.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

And similar to Shulk having his Monado symbol on this character damage% profile. There can be an actual Blade chart on Rex's damage % as well. Where it will show which Blade is ready to swap, and which is not, like in the game.
Also my other Blade picks for Rex are Zenobia and KOS MOS. KOS MOS is highly feasible since she has appeared in crossover games like Project X Zone, and also XC2 as guest character and a Blade.

Not anymore, fortunately. Because that's pointless and off topic in this thread.
If anyone really wants to argue that, go somewhere else.

Definitely the combination of Nana and Pokemon Trainer, this will make sense if you actually know how Blade works (non spoiler obviously). Where she is on the stage but she can't get hit... or hit others unless Rex' use special attack.
Come to think of it, if Rex uses more than one blade in Smash he can work like a reverse Pokemon trainer, where three different characters support one.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Yes, I've played it, and his extra blades should be, and if he gets extra blades (which I kinda doubt honestly) they should be

Roc and either Nia or Wulfric. Too because he's a blade Rex has to get and use and Nia for similar reasons plus just how important she is, but that might be too spoilery. In which case Wulfric for being just another blade you can obtain through story events.

But I don't think we're going to get more than Pyra, I think it would be too much work and undermine Pyra's role, I mean she already has extra forms that they could use for blade switching

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I find it amusing so much time is talked about a second Xenoblade rep.

Did Xenoblade Chronicles 2 even sell well enough to justify it? Did Shulk being in Smash help the series at all?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Did Xenoblade Chronicles 2 even sell well enough to justify it? Did Shulk being in Smash help the series at all?
I think XC2 sold more than a million copies. So, that would make it fairly successful. As for whether or not Shulk being in Smash helped, yeah I would assume so. That and the 3DS version of XC1 managing to get a few fans of its own too.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

It did sell over 1 million units in December alone, so it was very well received.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ah, then perhaps it does have a Fire Emblem situation waiting to happen. I just really hope it doesn't end having too many characters too soon because of it's success. I felt that kind of happened with FE last time.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, I've played it, and his extra blades should be, and if he gets extra blades (which I kinda doubt honestly) they should be

Roc and either Nia or Wulfric. Too because he's a blade Rex has to get and use and Nia for similar reasons plus just how important she is, but that might be too spoilery. In which case Wulfric for being just another blade you can obtain through story events.

But I don't think we're going to get more than Pyra, I think it would be too much work and undermine Pyra's role, I mean she already has extra forms that they could use for blade switching
Hey hey keep it spoiler free will ya? :mad:Especially the big ones. Or at least specify which chapter.
Come to think of it, if Rex uses more than one blade in Smash he can work like a reverse Pokemon trainer, where three different characters support one.
Exactly, that what I think Rex will work.

D

Deleted member

anybody else hoping that they'll do character reveal trailers for newcomers? i enjoyed that part of getting a new character everytime i watched a direct.
Me too, lets hope they do that.
It will be hard to say if we get information before E3. We should at least get some information about new characters or a look at Smash for Switch. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

FlexTapeF0rever

Smash Cadet
So since Arms was probably in development around the same time as Smash 5
what are the chances of character from Arms getting in to smash and which one?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I used a spoiler tag.
*ahem*
Check my last quote lol. Specify up to which chapter you are going to spoil....

And to be fair I somewhat already know some of it, but then again you have to think about those who haven't played the game...

Although OK, Lucina was a bit of a spoiler giveaway for Awakening but that was already a year after Awakening's release and Lucina was already popular at the time.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I used to believe that we wouldn't get any Smash news before the E3 presentation, but now that we know we're going to see the actual game before, it makes me obligated to update my expectations and admit I was wrong. My hypothesis was that this teaser was just that, a teaser to hype us up before E3, but now I'm expecting us to get more news by the end of April or early May. Probably with Inkling gameplay and one more newcomer announced.

This suddenly makes the September release date speculated by some because of the Switch online update more plausible. If the release date is still November like I originally speculated, then it leaves us more time than what I originally expected and, assuming the same concentration of new character reveals as I expected, I should increase by two or three the maximum number of new characters to expect this time.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

What matters the most is whether of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters can even make it in time since it is a fairly new game.. .

And it's nearly a no brainer that Shulk in Smash did somewhat help the franchise gain attention from the Smash community.

I mean you are seeing this dude here who used to be salty about Shulk being in Smash but now he is literally a Xenoblade fanboy.
It did sell over 1 million units in December alone, so it was very well received.
Indeed
And sort of ignore Metacritic's 83 score, and GameSpot's review... Not to mention JRPGs don't really tend to get high scores.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
*ahem*
Check my last quote lol. Specify up to which chapter you are going to spoil....

And to be fair I somewhat already know some of it, but then again you have to think about those who haven't played the game...

Although OK, Lucina was a bit of a spoiler giveaway for Awakening but that was already a year after Awakening's release and Lucina was already popular at the time.
I don't think it's that necessary, if you haven't played or beaten the game, don't look at it. If I was on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 specific board, I might have specified but I didn't think it was necessary here

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't think it's that necessary, if you haven't played or beaten the game, don't look at it. If I was on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 specific board, I might have specified but I didn't think it was necessary here
Well, now you know I guess. And no, you have to, otherwise you might be the one who ruins other people's Xenoblade 2 experience when they look at the main story.
And hell, since this thread is about Smash Bros, Switch, it is a bit off topic to mention Xenoblade spoilers in the first, at least that is just what I think.

I am not trying to be a push over. . Sorry if this bugs you but, this is something that as a JRPG gamer, spoilers are what you have to be careful about and be wise to inform it.

Anyways less Xenoblade spoilers more Smash Bros prediction. I just hope besides character I hope core crystals can be items too.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Smash spoiling games is very common. A major spoiler was even the focus of a moveset. Zelda/Sheik. Even the original Xenoblade got spoilers with its trophies.

If we get Xenoblade 2 content, we'll probably get spoilers for the game.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Smash spoiling games is very common. A major spoiler was even the focus of a moveset. Zelda/Sheik. Even the original Xenoblade got spoilers with its trophies.

If we get Xenoblade 2 content, we'll probably get spoilers for the game.
Trophies at least, characters, no. And again, people found out Zelda is Sheik have been a while before they are in Smash....
That still doesn't justify you putting spoilers here and not even tagging which, sorry if I am a bit of an annoyance ....

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Xenoblade gets more than one newcomer, I doubt we'll get two unique characters on the base roster. Not only was Xenoblade 2 released in Smash's mid-development, but franchises typically don't get more than one unique newcomer in the same Smash (with the exception of Nintendo's bigger franchises like Mario and Pokemon). The only reason FE was able to accomplish this in Smash 4 is because of DLC and the timing of Fates.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Trophies at least, characters, no. And again, people found out Zelda is Sheik have been a while before they are in Smash....
That still doesn't justify you putting spoilers here and not even tagging which, sorry if I am a bit of an annoyance ....
Corrin shows his dragon form and I think a late game blade (I don't know, never played fates) but I'm pretty sure the announcement mentioned that this was the blades final form. The game wasn't even out yet

I could see this happening with Rex, they should just avoid going into detail about it. ESPECIALLY when it comes to whatever the final smash is.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
If Xenoblade gets more than one newcomer, I doubt we'll get two unique characters on the base roster. Not only was Xenoblade 2 released in Smash's mid-development, but franchises typically don't get more than one unique newcomer in the same Smash (with the exception of Nintendo's bigger franchises like Mario and Pokemon). The only reason FE was able to accomplish this in Smash 4 is because of DLC and the timing of Fates.
I think two XBC2 characters would be cool.

Anyone else pullin' for Nia?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been watching several Smash Bros Switch character prediction videos early in the morning. Nathaniel Bandy and YoVideogame's predictions in particular provide some of the best and most reasonable choices out of all YouTubers I have watched:

I disagree with a few of their choices, but their reasonings for certain characters being in the game come very close to what I think Sakurai would pick for. Although, I personally think they are far from predicting the actual roster if they choose to predict the entire game's roster. Still, I have to commend these two.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's take a moment to reflect on how much the DLC for Smash For changed the landscape of speculation by shattering many preconceptions.

1. Mewtwo: "There won't be DLC"
  2. Lucas: "It was only Mewtwo"
  3. Roy: "They won't add a veteran from an overrepresened series"
  4. Ryu: "No fighting game characters (Punch Out doesn't count because reasons)" AND "Only one character per company"
  5. Cloud: "No new companies will get in on this" AND "They must have debuted on a Nintendo System/Arcade" AND "He'll be in Playstation All Stars first"
  6. Corrin: "They won't add a newcomer to an overrepresented series"
  7. Bayonetta: "I think I have a good idea of who won the ballot" AND "Bayonetta is too mature for Smash Bros"
I wonder what we'd be speculating if the DLC never happened. We'd still have all gotten Inkling as first character but just about everything else would be different.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Let's take a moment to reflect on how much the DLC for Smash For changed the landscape of speculation by shattering many preconceptions.

1. Mewtwo: "There won't be DLC"
  2. Lucas: "It was only Mewtwo"
  3. Roy: "They won't add a veteran from an overrepresened series"
  4. Ryu: "No fighting game characters (Punch Out doesn't count because reasons)" AND "Only one character per company"
  5. Cloud: "No new companies will get in on this" AND "They must have debuted on a Nintendo System/Arcade" AND "He'll be in Playstation All Stars first"
  6. Corrin: "They won't add a newcomer to an overrepresented series"
  7. Bayonetta: "I think I have a good idea of who won the ballot" AND "Bayonetta is too mature for Smash Bros"
I wonder what we'd be speculating if the DLC never happened. We'd still have all gotten Inkling as first character but just about everything else would be different.
I think the biggest thing is that we are not just constrained specifically to Nintendo properties for the most part. Our guesses can be a lot less conservative. I think if it was not for the DLC newcomers the possibility of an Indie character probably would not be entertained nearly as seriously as now. Shovel Knight or Shantae really seem like a possibility, either in the base roster, or as DLC for this game.

It has actually kinda made speculation more fun as pretty much any character suggestion is valid and worth considering (well, except Goku that is not ever happening).

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Corrin shows his dragon form and I think a late game blade (I don't know, never played fates) but I'm pretty sure the announcement mentioned that this was the blades final form. The game wasn't even out yet

I could see this happening with Rex, they should just avoid going into detail about it. ESPECIALLY when it comes to whatever the final smash is.
Um, okay enough about the blades ...

And as for Corrin you already know you are a dragon in Fates even before you are about to choose your side, lol.

And what are you doing talking about? Rex final Smash can just be Blade special IV attack. That's the most obvious choice in my opinion.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I could make a good moveset from the hour or so I've played of XenoBlade2 without feelign like something is horribly missing.

The only true Xenoblade 1 spoilers are all focused on one particular trophy and one characters voice, which I honestly guessed before the reveal was made in game.
On the other hand, almost all the Mother 3 stuff is Brawl is major spoilers, mostly because that's when the game's connection to previous games becomes clear.

All we have to go is avoid a DMC:DevilMayCry situation that PSASBR had where all they had to work with was what Capcom showed in trailers (an nothing from previous games but that's another story.)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The only true Xenoblade 1 spoilers are all focused on one particular trophy and one characters voice, which I honestly guessed before the reveal was made in game.
On the other hand, almost all the Mother 3 stuff is Brawl is major spoilers, mostly because that's when the game's connection to previous games becomes clear.
Yep at least voice and trophies can somewhat be avoid.
And like I used to mention even though it isn't a justification persay but Mother 3 was already old and less known when it was in Brawl. Hell, I still don't feel spoiled even when checking Earthbound stuff back in Brawl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom