• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So Spring Man would have Springtron as an alt right?

Because that might actually make me think of all the ARMs characters, the mascot should be the one who makes it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
A new Pokémon rep seems more likely than an ARMS rep. That doesn't mean they're Decidueye or Springman.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only problem is that Smash Bros. doesn't necessarily need another Pokemon rep right now. While Decidueye may have gotten a spot in Pokken Tournament DX, it still hasn't seen an anime appearance. And while Jigglypuff and Greninja are playable in Smash 3DS / Wii U, neither of them are Pokken Tournament contenders.

D

Deleted member

The only problem is that Smash Bros. doesn't necessarily need another Pokemon rep right now.
It didn't need another FE rep either, and yet we got Corrin.
I seriously don't get this "need" mindset at all. No character is "needed"
Every Smash game got a new Pokemon from the most recent generation. I don't see why it'd be different this time around unless it's a port.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Every Smash game got a new Pokemon from the most recent generation. I don't see why it'd be different this time around unless it's a port.
I agree with this, FE always needs the more recent characters. I mean there are a lot of FE characters, but still. They are creative idea ( despite being clones in some instances ). Celica for Smash for Switch?
Eggman uses his Eggmobile for many boss fights in Sonic games, and his Egg Walker is that vehicle with legs. Sonic 2 alone has him using electricity, drills, hammers, flamethrowers, lasers, and more with that vehicle; I'm sure they'd be able to come up with plenty of material for moves.
What I am thinking is that Egg Man can be more like a Bowser Junior type of character who has his mechs and stuff. I think Eggman has a lot of potential but I would personally side with Tails.

D

Deleted member

I agree with this, FE always needs the more recent characters. I mean there are a lot of FE characters, but still. They are creative idea ( despite being clones in some instances ). Celica for Smash for Switch?
You nissed the point of my post.
I was talking about Pokemon, not Fire Emblem, and I was talking about how no character is "needed".
Please read the posts you're quoting more carefully.

D

Deleted member

You nissed the point of my post.
I was talking about Pokemon, not Fire Emblem, and I was talking about how no character is "needed".
Oh. I personally think the same too. I think a new rep will shore up in the next games if it is widely liked a lot, and the alolan starters are already at that point. Decideye is most likely going to get in, but Incineroar would be pretty good to add as well. Decideye could be like an archer with leaf arrows. It can also use some ghostly moves to attack its foes shadow claw or spirit shackle.
Please read the posts you're quoting more carefully.
All right Lamp, I will try harder. I do but not hard enough.

D

Deleted member

Oh. I personally think the same too. I think a new rep will shore up in the next games if it is widely liked a lot, and the alolan starters are already at that point. Decideye is most likely going to get in, but Incineroar would be pretty good to add as well. Decideye could be like an archer with leaf arrows. It can also use some ghostly moves to attack its foes shadow claw or spirit shackle.
I think it's gonna be someone from Gen 8 because it'd likely be out by the time Smash 5 rolls around. If we do get a Gen 7 Pokemon, I think Mimikyu is the most likely (as much as I'd hate its addition).
Shame since Decidueye would be a thousand times better.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, that Star Fox poll was predictable. Wolf took more than 50% of all votes, making him the winner. Hardly anyone wanted Leon, but Krystal and Slippy were neck and neck with their positions.

Now the nest Star Fox poll is easily the last one. Your picks are Peppy Hare, Panther Carosso, Andross (There you go Bowserlick Bowserlick ), and General Scales.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Good luck.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering that generations 3 and 5 were ignored in the playable Pokemon department, the odds of getting a playable 7th generation Pokemon in the next Smash Bros. installment are rather unlikely.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Woohoo! ANDROSS FOR SMASH

Now we get to see if people want an interesting character
not named after the animal that they happen to be...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering that generations 3 and 5 were ignored in the playable Pokemon department, the odds of getting a playable 7th generation Pokemon in the next Smash Bros. installment are rather unlikely.
That's completely irrelevant to my arguement.
Also, it was a timing thing. For all we know, it could be different this time around.
There's no pattern.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's completely irrelevant to my arguement.
Also, it was a timing thing. For all we know, it could be different this time around.
There's no pattern.
Still, you can't help but feel suspicious about the playable Pokemon representation. All the Pokemon newcomers that came after Super Smash Bros. are either from the 1st generation (Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), or an even-numbered generation (Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja).

D

Deleted member

Still, you can't help but feel suspicious about the playable Pokemon representation. All the Pokemon newcomers that came after Super Smash Bros. are either from the 1st generation (Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), or an even-numbered generation (Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja).
1. It's a fan-made pattern
2. There's a reason for that, which I said in the post you responded to.
3. It has NOTHING TO DO with my initial arguement.

You argued that a Pokemon newcomer is "not needed". I argued that it's a dumb arguement, and now you're just changing the topic.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Rooting for a Grass Type Pokemon.

For Decidueye or another grass pokemon, the ability to charge aerials for better projectiles or range would be an elegant spacing tool.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think it's that suspicious. Two Pokémon Gens are usually released within the time between Smash games. Sakurai probably skipped Gen 3 and 5 because they weren't the current Gen at the time.

Plus, Brawl helped kickstart Lucario's insane popularity. I'm sure that boosted Sakurai's confidence in promoting Pokémon other than the original 151.

Rooting for a Grass Type Pokémon. For Decidueye or another grass pokemon, the ability to charge aerials for better projectiles or range would be an elegant spacing tool.
I could care less if the next Pokémon is a grass type. Honestly, I really want something besides a starter Pokémon. I feel like we keep limiting ourselves to just those three Pokémon and completely overlook the other potential candidates like Lycanroc or Mimikyu.​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not a grass type that I want, it's Decidueye. I hope Sakurai lets me have my 2 favorite starters be in the same game.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 could you do a poll with a possibly second Sonic character? (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles and Eggman)

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I know that Decidueye is unique and all, but I would be disappointed if they used Decidueye AGAIN to represent Gen 7, and I feel that its more likely that they're going to choose some other pokemon for Smash.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I know that Decidueye is unique and all, but I would be disappointed if they used Decidueye AGAIN to represent Gen 7, and I feel that its more likely that they're going to choose some other pokemon for Smash.
Then how about Buzzwole? He seems to be not only a good Gen 7 rep, but also the most popular Ultra Beast out there.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I could care less if the next Pokémon is a grass type. Honestly, I really want something besides a starter Pokémon. I feel like we keep limiting ourselves to just those three Pokémon and completely overlook the other potential candidates like Lycanroc or Mimikyu.
The way I see it (assuming the six Pokemon characters we have currently remain), I think it depends on how many Pokemon newcomers we get come Smash 5. If we just get one, I'll be willing to bet it will be a starter from either Gen VII or Gen VIII depending on when we get the latter. If we are to get two newcomers, I can see one being a starter and the other not being a starter, though still a rather popular Pokemon. If we get a starter Gen VIII rep, then this other Pokemon will probably come from Gen VII, and vice-versa.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Then how about Buzzwole? He seems to be not only a good Gen 7 rep, but also the most popular Ultra Beast out there.
He might be possible, but for some reason they usually seem to stay clear of legendary pokemon or more rarer pokemon outside of Smash except for Mewtwo. It's most likely going to be pokemon that are highly promoted.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could care less if the next Pokémon is a grass type. Honestly, I really want something besides a starter Pokémon. I feel like we keep limiting ourselves to just those three Pokémon and completely overlook the other potential candidates like Lycanroc or Mimikyu.
I remember when I once supported for Zoroark's inclusion in Smash 3DS / Wii U. However, in the end, all that it got was the Poke Ball treatment. But when you think about it, making Zoroark a Poke Ball Pokemon was probably for the best, since trying to implement its unique Illusion abilities would've required much more development time.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If the game comes out after Pokemon Switch, it'll just be whoever the most popular pokemon is that would still make a good fighter.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I remember when I once supported for Zoroark's inclusion in Smash 3DS / Wii U. However, in the end, all that it got was the Poke Ball treatment. But when you think about it, making Zoroark a Poke Ball Pokemon was probably for the best, since trying to implement its unique Illusion abilities would've required much more development time.
Zoroark was a Pokémon I really wanted to see in Smash. I'm not disappointed by how things turned out, but I really thought he'd be a good addition to the roster. Sadly, his chances of being added in Smash will probably remain at an all-time low until the inevitable Gen 5 remakes come out several years from now.

If the game comes out after Pokemon Switch, it'll just be whoever the most popular pokemon is that would still make a good fighter.
Which is why I'm praying that Gen 8 provides us with plenty of popular options, unlike Gen 6.

Even if X and Y was released in 2012 before the roster was finalized, Sakurai probably wouldn't have been able to find many popular non-starter Gen 6 Pokémon that could work in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Zoroark was a Pokémon I really wanted to see in Smash. I'm not disappointed by how things turned out, but I really thought he'd be a good addition to the roster. Sadly, his chances of being added in Smash will probably remain at an all-time low until the inevitable Gen 5 remakes come out several years from now.

Which is why I'm praying that Gen 8 provides us with plenty of popular options, unlike Gen 6.

Even if X and Y was released in 2012 before the roster was finalized, Sakurai probably wouldn't have been able to find many popular non-starter Gen 6 Pokémon that could work in Smash.
Even without Smash, though, Greninja was easily one of the most popular Gen VI Pokémon, up there with the likes of Aegislash and such. I don't think much would have changed, honestly.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yup, it's true. I and definitely going in order for these a la Melee's Adventure Mode. Now you know the secret.

For a TL;RD, Peppy owned the last Star Fox poll with Andross coming very close. Panther and Scales were sitting ducks.

And now for the hard part, Pokemon. Especially with the massive number of them to use. Unlike the last time, I will only go by Pokemon that are popular, feasible as a fighter, or would bring something new to the table. Expect this for all 7 generations. For our first one we have Meowth, Sandslash, Machoke (Champ will get his chance next time), and Alakazam.

Phew, this night will be pretty busy for me. So toodles.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if the Smash team has got access to GF's stash of new Pokemon again like they did with Greninja. We may end up with a Gen 8 Pokemon and Pokemon in odd numbers generations (greater than 1) will continue to be discarded.

Side Note: Still don't know how Greninja hasn't appeared in Pokken.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If in the off chance a Smash port included new Smash run staged, are there any specific venues, elements, or enemies you would like to see included?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even without Smash, though, Greninja was easily one of the most popular Gen VI Pokémon, up there with the likes of Aegislash and such. I don't think much would have changed, honestly.
That's what I'm saying. Even if Gen 6 came out earlier, we really didn't have much else to choose from aside from the starters. Not many of the new Pokémon were able to get a notable amount of support from fans. That's why I hope Gen 8 follows in the footsteps of Gen 7, especially if the game comes out before the next Smash roster is finalized. I'm seeing a lot more support for non-starter Pokémon from Gen 7 than I ever did with Gen 6. Granted, that support is pale in comparison to the starters, but it's still really nice to see regardless.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If in the off chance a Smash port included new Smash run staged, are there any specific venues, elements, or enemies you would like to see included?
Stuff from the other 3rd parties like Cactaurs, Shadaloo Soliders and unspeakable abominations from Bayonetta.

D

Deleted member

Lampy is right about me having to read more, I will read your posts better.
I think Greninja is the most popular pokemon of Gen VI by a long-shot.
His popularity is still increasing, especially with the new Ash-Greninja.
It's not a grass type that I want, it's Decidueye. I hope Sakurai lets me have my 2 favorite starters be in the same game.
I want Decidueye as a smash fighter. One it would be unique, having a nice creative move-set potential. It will be like an archer as I said. Also, it's shiny form is amazing. That should be an alt, much like Greninja's shiny being an alt.

I mean, look at that. That skin is amazing. ( If you are wondering why there is so much space, there is a lot of clear image space in the photo ).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yup, it's true. I and definitely going in order for these a la Melee's Adventure Mode. Now you know the secret.

For a TL;RD, Peppy owned the last Star Fox poll with Andross coming very close. Panther and Scales were sitting ducks.

And now for the hard part, Pokemon. Especially with the massive number of them to use. Unlike the last time, I will only go by Pokemon that are popular, feasible as a fighter, or would bring something new to the table. Expect this for all 7 generations. For our first one we have Meowth, Sandslash, Machoke (Champ will get his chance next time), and Alakazam.

Phew, this night will be pretty busy for me. So toodles.
Why not Snorlax, Blastoise, Raichu and Gengar? I think those are easily more iconic / popular. Plus Snorlax could be a heavy weight Jigglypuff semi-clone, and Raichu be build up from Pikachu's moveset, same with Blastoise and Squirtle.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

What I said doesn't rule out Gen 7.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd mainly want to see new enemy types, especially from series that don't have any yet.

Fire Emblem in particular has a lot to offer. Hell, Shadows of Valentia alone offers lots of neat monster types. Terrors, Gargoyles, Deathgoyles, Titans, Mogalls, Witches, Vestals, Dagons, Bonewalkers, Liches...and though not a monster, enemy Cantors would also work since they summon monsters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
P.S. Am I the only one who thought most of the Gen 6 Pokeball Pokemon were a bit crap?

Sorry Sewpa, but you're no Wobuffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom