• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think we're all forgetting the one true DK rep.

This joke has been made before, but I will never stop making it.

Last edited:

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
>Plays Octopath Traveler demo
>Desperately wants playable Primrose
I mean if Bayonetta can happen...

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You seem to have forgotten everyone’s favorite Venus Adept...
Lol, sorry, I know. I just can't see him getting in at this point with his series being stalled out. Before him, I'd consider Chibi Robo or Dillon as small series newcomers.
Are you saying the magenta and green were considered by you or by Sakurai?
By me.
My crazy predictions are:
  • No FE16 rep
  • No Gen 8 Pokémon rep
  • No Xenoblade 2 rep
  • No ARMS rep
Exclusions rather than inclusions, but predictions all the same.
I agree that they won't be in the base roster. What's your perspective on them as DLC?

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Ridley Hype: 60%
It would be pretty cool to see him actually playable for once. Hopefully they can pull it off well.
Simon Hype: 75%
This is even more hype. Simon would be an awesome addition. Love another remix to Bloody Tears.
Wolf Hype: 30%
He's back which is cool, but nothing particularly interesting to me.
King K. Rool Hype: 75%
Now this is someone I've been waiting for. If in I would feel at ease.
Dixie Kong Hype: 40%
I'm interested to see how her moveset will play out, but that's it.
Sora Hype 20%:
I know nothing about Sora.
Geno/Mallow Hype: 90%
One of the few characters I want that would get in. Great addition especially with Mallow.
Chorus Kids Hype: 75%
I was actually really hoping they would be in Smash 4. Hopefully this time they will.
Porky Hype: 20%
Well he's ok.
Medusa Hype: 70%
I'm actually quite hyped to see Medusa playable and I don't know why.
Mimikyu Hype: 80%
Mimikyu is not my favorite Gen 7 pokémon, but he is definitely an interesting one. I like his creepy aura.
Elma Hype: 10%
I love the Xenoblade series. By far my favorite from Nintendo. But I don't like Elma. She was never interesting to me, especially compared to other characters in XCX.
Snake Hype: 50%
Seeing him back would be interesting. He is quite iconic so he would fit well with the other 3rd parties.
Ice Climbers Hype: 30%
They're back and that's cool, but I don't really care for them.
Goroh Hype: 30%
I want to see what makes him interesting, but right now I have nothing to really be hyped for.
Takamaru Hype: 80%
Now this character would be pretty cool. Love to see how he turns out.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Lemme jump on the bandwagon real quick ...

Porky: 100% - GIMME THE TRAGIC BABY
Ice Climbers: 100% - MY (other) BABIES
Sora: 40% - Never got into his games. Looks cool tho.
King K. Rool: 10% - Long story short, I fear what kind of route for his moveset they'll give him.
Chorus Kids: 80% - They're so cute, would love them. I wonder what kind of moveset they would get. And on top of all, I have a soft spot for multiple-characters-in-one.
Medusa: 20% - Don't know her. Cool design nonetheless.
Simon Belmont: 20% - Ditto as Medusa. A whip character sounds neat tho.
Elma: 0% - Literally no idea who she is.
Takamaru: 0% - Same as Elma.
Dixie: 60% - Would've liked Funky Kong more, but her design is cute.
Mimikyu: 60% - Cool Pokémon. Ghost type is my fav, but I would've liked a Gengar more. With a new Kanto remake, it could've been possible. :(
Wolf: 70% - I ... Kind of miss him from the Brawl days, lmao. Hope he gets a more unique moveset, but his old one is fine, too.
Snake: 80% - Come back, mate. We all miss you.
Ridley: 50% - Love/Hate relationship with the guy. There are characters I want more, but he would be a nice addition to the roster and would make a lot of fans really really happy.
Geno + Mallow: 80% - Never played the game(s?) where he's in. I really dig the design tho. Also, again, more characters in one.
Samurai Goroh: 50% - Really liked him as an assist trophy in Brawl. Could get a really nice moveset if he got in. But at the end of the day ... He's Goroh, lmao.

Here's a topic:
What song do you want to be playing and remixed during your most wanted character's reveal trailer?
Shantae is hands down my most wanted.
I'd love to hear my favorite song from my favorite game, though I guess Nintendo would go for her main theme ... Maybe?

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Ya know... how do people feel about Spring-Man these days?

We've been talking about leaks, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem so much that we haven't mentioned ARMS much
Didn't care for ARMS and I probably won't pick it back up any time soon. I didn't even play Spring Man because he seemed to be the most boring character on the roster appearance-wise and gameplay-wise. Personally, I don't care for the character. In terms of Smash, I don't think Spring Man will be on the base roster. If DLC is a thing, I'd consider him an almost guaranteed lock.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I agree that they won't be in the base roster. What's your perspective on them as DLC?
Pretty likely. Arms/XB2 > Pokemon/FE in terms of likeliness imo.
With Arms/XB2 they benefit from being out for longer, so more people would recognize them and Sakurai has hands-on time with the actual games instead of having to wing it. Brazenly pushing characters that people barely know like Corrin is a good way to get negative backlash.
Pokemon/FE would need to be coming out when they're planning DLC and both are well represented without DLC.
Then again, people assumed what I did about Arms would happen to Splatoon, which obviously didn't happen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually, I think Golden stepped out of line with the Isaac quote.

I mean, Golen.

I care for Isaac. :(

Darkraid

Smash Champion
So...people want another Fake leak to discuss? Here it is.

That one is piggybacking both the Vergeben and Imgur leak spinning it at his own sauce
But it sounds so fake and weird.
For people who don't know who it is, Monita is the Monitor robot from Nintendo Land.

I call this one absolutely fake
the leaker killed his own leak by saying octolings. it's def inklings in the trailer.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think my boldest predictions are that both Medusa and Monita will get in
  • Monita is basically a really nice representative of the Wii U era, kind of how the Wii Fit Trainer is for the Wii but in a lesser scale
  • I feel that since Sakurai knows Medusa well, he has lots of assets and that he (debatably) has a bit of bias towards Kid Icarus, he might put her in. idk I always felt she was gonna get in

?????????????

Smash Master
I think my boldest predictions are that both Medusa and Monita will get in
  • Monita is basically a really nice representative of the Wii U era, kind of how the Wii Fit Trainer is for the Wii but in a lesser scale
  • I feel that since Sakurai knows Medusa well, he has lots of assets and that he (debatably) has a bit of bias towards Kid Icarus, he might put her in. idk I always felt she was gonna get in
I actually LIKE the idea of Monita; I think she'd be great as a surprise, I liked Nintendo Land a lot, and she could have a fun moveset built of references from that game.

However...I'm not so sure they'll even WANT something entirely representative of the Wii U, given it's performance...

...I'm just not sure. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I actually LIKE the idea of Monita; I think she'd be great as a surprise, I liked Nintendo Land a lot, and she could have a fun moveset built of references from that game.

However...I'm not so sure they'll even WANT something entirely representative of the Wii U, given it's performance...

...I'm just not sure. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
I get where you're coming from but idk I don't think Nintendo has this mentality regarding the Wii U. Maybe.
like in ACNL for example, the fortune cookie message for the Wii U item is something on the lines on "some artists are misunderstood and are ahead of their time" or something like that. Not sure if the JP version has something similar though

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually, I think Golden stepped out of line with the Isaac quote.

I mean, Golen.

I care for Isaac. :(
Ohhhhhhh I see how it is. When Golden says something about Isabella's chances and I rebut with Incenroar, I'm a jerk, but now that it's ISAAC, it's totally acceptable.

;)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’ll bandwagon real quick.

Porky: 60% - it really depends on how he plays. He was definitely a good villain and Smash is lacking in villains so I’d dig him.
Ice Climbers: 90% - Stills annoys me that they weren’t in Smash Wii U. Always felt like the games were missing a little something and one of those somethings were the ICs.
Sora: 50% - Being honest, I was neve pr a huge fan of KH. The idea was cool and I loved the interactions but the gameplay never gripped me. Still, he’d be very cool.
King K. Rool: 90% - It mostly depends on how they tie in his legacy. If they make a big deal out of him and compare him to Bowser and Ridley then, yeah, that could be pretty hype.
Chorus Kids: 50% - They seem like a cool idea at the very least. But I have no real attachment to them.
Medusa: 80% - My personal choice for the next Kid Icarus rep. However, this definitely would show that despite what Sakurai says he does have a little bias to him with the amount of reps KI would have. Which is completely understandable and not a bad thing like most people would have you think. Bias isn’t a dirty word guys.
Simon Belmont: 100% - I’m a sucker for anything Castlevania, Simon has a hell of a legacy that makes him the best choice for a rep, and a Whip style character is something we have yet to see in Smash making him immediately unique.
Elma: 50% - I love Xenoblade X but I can’t deny that I didn’t find Elma all that interesting as a character. Nevertheless, I think she could have a kick ass move set.
Takamaru: 90% - I adore Takamaru, I’ve wanted him in forever it seems. Only problem I could see coming from him is his moveset. They really need to make him stand out and I’m worried they won’t.
Dixie: 70% - Love her. But not as much as K. Rool. Not much more for me to say.
Mimikyu: 10 - Unpopular Opinion; I really don’t like Mimikyu. It’s an incredibly boring Pokémon to me and I feel Decidueye, Inceneroar, and Lycanroc are all more original, more interesting choices in my opinion.
Wolf: 100% - Along with the ICs, not having Wolf in Wii U made it feel like there was a hole in the roster.
Snake: 110% - If he comes back then literally everything else, newcomers and veterans alike, is icing.
Ridley: 90% - Been cheering for this guy for what seems like forever. Hopefully, the terrible bigley jokes will end with his inclusion as well.
Geno + Mallow: 80% - Never thought I need this until now. It sounds like a super cool idea. Super Mario RPG is also better than Paper Mario AND Mario & Luigi, at least to me.
Samurai Goroh: 60% - Good choice for a second F-Zero rep. However, I feel like I would’ve preferred Black Shadow.
Careful, he'll take it personally.

And Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei will jump down your throat for it, too.
I’m actually an Incenaroar supporter. More so than any other Sun or Moon Pokémon. I’m sure Swamp and Golden know I’m joking. Isaac has fallen out of the public eye, and I fully admit that not many people are left that REALLY care about him, tragically. I would still be ecstatic to see him be brought in at some point though. However, I feel like a Golden Sun rebirth would have to come first and, well, that hasn’t happened yet.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Did everyone see my roster, by the way, or did it get lost at the bottom of last page? I can always list reasoning if that would get discussion on it going.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ohhhhhhh I see how it is. When Golden says something about Isabella's chances and I rebut with Incenroar, I'm a jerk, but now that it's ISAAC, it's totally acceptable.

;)
I just go for who started it.

Or at least...

Who I saw start it.

This place is kind of dry sometimes, I skip a lot.

That said.

@GoldenYuiitusin

You're still a total bro.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I see. The leak was these as hints, right?

https://imgur.com/a/H8bcips
So this is that picture leak? Let me get my thoughts on each of these.

- The first one I dind't get at first but then I saw the climbing axe and I remembered that Lara Croft in the reboot series uses them so that's cool.
- Sakurai is finally gonna do it huh? He's gonna put Spongebob from the Halloween episode in there just for those Japanese kids on Miiverse. HYPE
- A gun and a sword. Are we seriously getting another Final Fantasy character, what's more did it really have to be Lightning of all people.
- Well I certain can't think of a better retro rep than my choir from elementary school.
- A Samurai Rebellion character!? I was wrong there was a better retro rep.
- Bubblegum huh? Suda 51 might be disappointed its not Travis but hey Juliet Starling would be neat.
- A good boy? 13/10
- Now this is interesting. I know people say Ridley's too big, but to put Baby Ridley from Other M, very interesting indeed.
- Jack Sparrow? No thanks.
- Medusa from the Greek Pantheon.
- Doctor Octopus, ok but would've preferred Venom to tie in with the new movie coming.
- Black Manta from Injustice 2. Eh
- Huge Jackedman? Ok I guess.
- I'm glad Klefki is getting the recognition it deserves
- I always did think that Pinocchio had excellent moveset potential
- The Box Ghost from Danny Phantom!? GOTY 2018 CONFIRMED

kappa

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. It's a little too good to be true in my opinion. Still Elma, Dixie, Wolf, Ridley, Porky, Geno and Snake, that would be nice.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
Here we go.

Ridley: Hype: 55% I have no interest in Ridley but I would be surprised.
Simon: Hype: 0% I do not like Castlevania...
Wolf: Hype: 70% I would like him to return.
King K. Rool: Hype 55% I have no interest in King K Rool but I would be surprised.
Dixie Kong: Hype: 5% Let's be honest, it would be a clone.
Sora: Hype 0% I do not like Kingdom Hearts...
Geno/Mallow: Hype 65% I like Geno and if it appears, it would seem great.
Chorus Kids: Hype 100% PLEASE.
Porky: Hype 60% It would be curious.
Medusa: Hype: 15% Ehm... I like his game but I do not want more characters from Kid Icarus.
Mimikyu: Hype 75% Please.
Elma: Hype 0% I do not like Xenoblade, and I like Rex & Pyra more as a character.
Snake: Hype: 0% I never liked the character, and I have no interest in returning.
Icies: Hype: 3% I never liked the character, and I have no interest in returning, but I would be a little surprised.
Goroh: Hype: 0% I'm not interested in the characters of F-Zero.
Takamaru: Hype 45% Takamaru is cool, but something tells me not to want it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ya know... how do people feel about Spring-Man these days?

We've been talking about leaks, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem so much that we haven't mentioned ARMS much
Spring-Man's still one of my most wanted when it comes to newcomers. It's just when Mr. Yabuki said that the game's a bit too young for Smash Bros, everyone's seem to have gone "HAH! SPRING-MAN'S CHANCES ARE DEAD!" (Might be an extreme exaggeration) or "Well, he might be DLC if he didn't make the initial plan."

Since then, nobody really talks about Spring-Man anymore from what I see. I still think having ARMS content in Smash one day would be cool.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I feel that Spring Man and Rex both have a strong chance as DLC compared to most Nintendo characters. However if Nintendo sticks to 3rd Parties for DLC it could be bad for those two.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
PSA for all Anti-leak folks out there:

TL;DR:

Nintendo's E3/Smash marketing materials are expected to be delivered to the Staples Center tomorrow. Leaks could happen as soon as Sunday. The Internet is about to become a very slippery slope for the next two weeks. Stay frosty.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Nintendo's E3/Smash marketing materials are expected to be delivered to the Staples Center tomorrow. Leaks could happen as soon as Sunday.
Bolded what I feel to be the important part. They COULD happen. I don't want anybody to suddenly start thinking "Oh man, we're gonna know it all soon!" just because the promotional material is being sent out. It's 100% possible that nobody will leak anything about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
PSA for all Anti-leak folks out there:

TL;DR:

Nintendo's E3/Smash marketing materials are expected to be delivered to the Staples Center tomorrow. Leaks could happen as soon as Sunday. The Internet is about to become a very slippery slope for the next two weeks. Stay frosty.
...I knew I should've taken both weeks off. >.<

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also:

"Leaks could happen as soon as Sunday."

Sunday? As in Sunday, June 3rd? As in the Sunday where Smashboards will be in maintenance pretty much all day?

That Sunday?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Also:

Sunday? As in Sunday, June 3rd? As in the Sunday where Smashboards will be in maintenance pretty much all day?

That Sunday?
Hope you’re in some Discord channels that feature heavy Smash speculation.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Also:

That Sunday?
Yup. Tomorrow. I think the mods know very well what could happen if leaks do occur, but it's probably more for the 12th than anything.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm on vacation at the beaches of Florida until June 9th. I couldn't ask for anything better to help me wait for the Super Smash Bros trailer.

As for Rex, his game has been in development as early as 2015, and Xenoblade is a preexisting series, so he's definitely likely, unlike Spring Man.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hooooii~ Courtesy from Anon, here's another update on the wonderful world of Leaks and Rumor!~ With some VERY interesting development.

So. What interesting development? Well, Anon managed to get in contact with Vergeben himself by GameFaqs PM?
Quote from Anon said:
the "third source" is something he wants to keep to himself and little amount of people as much, since the information will expose the source too much unless he keeps it ultra vague
also he was able to "point out" some stuff he gotten right in the past and say his opinion about the riddle leak. he doubted it until he got the info on Snake as of late so he's going to keep an eye for it
I love this. This is like following an investigation team-
We L.A Noire Now.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ready for another roster? Sure you are.

I combined some obvious choices with some decidedly not so obvious choices. Yellow borders are DLC, magenta borders are considered, and green borders are considered for DLC.
Unique Newcomers - 15
Returning Veterans - 3
Clones - 1

This roster is drawing conclusions based on the idea that Vergeben's information is legitimate. I'm split on whether it is or not, but it makes for an interesting roster to speculate on.

Captain Toad: The current star of the Mario newcomers, easily. He has appeared in every mainline Mario title since Galaxy and has only gotten more and more important as time has gone on. He's gotten a game of his own on the Wii U which has since been ported to 3DS and Switch as well. He appeared as a playable character in SM3DW and as a recurring side character in Odyssey. Honestly, I think he's the Bowser Jr. of this smash cycle - he has only gained prominence since his creation, and it seems like he's finally ready for his time in the spotlight. Certainty: 85%

Kamek: The recurring villain of the Yoshi series and Bowser's personal henchman. Apparently, this Magikoopa has raised Bowser since he was young and has fought Yoshi and the Mario Bros. since the latter were mere children. He's well-recognized among even the more casual fanbase as the Mario wizard dude, and he has plenty of potential for a really interesting moveset. Further, the Yoshi series has been really active during the period right before the roster was likely decided, with Yoshi's Wooly World, Yoshi's New Island, and Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World coming out recently. That said, I do recognize that he's an off-the wall pick. He's not popularly requested, and the Yoshi series arguably doesn't need another representative. Certainty: 20%

Dixie Kong: The third most important Donkey Kong character, Dixie Kong has made a resurgence due to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and its Switch port. She's extremely popular and well-recognized (arguably moreso than K. Rool in more casual circles,) and she's one of the few all-stars that could draw people in who aren't playing Smash already. That said, it's possible for her to be included as she was planned in Brawl, as a partner for Diddy Kong, or for her to be passed over in favor of King K. Rool. Certainty: 75%

Sheriff (Mr. Jack): Nintendo's single oldest video game character, Sheriff starred in Nintendo's first original coin-operated arcade game. He was created by Shigeru Miyamoto in 1979, two years before the release of Donkey Kong and one year before the release of the Game and Watch. Taking on the role of the dashing hero trying to save his loved one (Betty) from a hoard of bandits, Sheriff fulfills a role similar to Mario in the trio of Mario, Pauline, and Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong. Both trios are inspired by Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Bruto from the Popeye franchise, and Miyamoto's appreciation for the "hero saves girl from villain" love triangle later served as inspiration for Mario, Peach, and Bowser; and Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Mr. Jack is sort of the grandfather of Nintendo's best and brightest, and he would be a welcome "surprise character" along the lines of Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt, who also have historic importance to Nintendo. That said, there's competition in the form of President/Daitoryo/Napoleon (Nintendo's original hanafuda mascot), Diskun (the Famicom Disk System mascot) and even more obscure choices like Mini Kangaroo or the Joker from the toy era. Heck, there's a possibility that a historical surprise character could be passed over entirely this time. Certainty: 30%

Ice Climbers: The single character(s?) that I'm most confident in, the Ice Climbers were only cut in SSB4 because of the 3DS's limitations. Even if we only got three characters more in this game than we did in Smash 4, they'd be back. I would be legitimately shocked if they didn't return. Certainty: 95%

Impa: The most recurring of the Legend of Zelda characters not already present in Smash Bros. and personal assistant to Princess Zelda, Impa has made quite the name for herself. Her main obstacles from getting in are her lack of a consistent design (she's either an old lady or a young warrior) and her lack of a design that works for fighting in BotW, the most recent Zelda game as of this time. That said, she was the only character outside of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to receive a redesign for Hyrule Warriors, which takes cues from her Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time appearances. This game was arguably the "main" Zelda title for the Wii U era despite it being a spin-off, as Breath of the Wild didn't release until the end of the console's lifespan. Further, the title was updated and re-released for the 3DS and the Switch, which indicates the importance of the game to Nintendo. While a Zelda character is no guarantee, Impa is definitely the character who shines out above the rest in credentials, and her giant's knife and naginata offer interesting possibilities for gameplay. She's still far from a guarantee, though, as she faces competition from (in order of debut) Classic Ganon, Skull Kid, Tingle, Tetra, Midna, Ghirahim, Lana, or any of the four Champions of BotW. Certainty: 50%

Takamaru: Yeah, everyone picks him as a retro representative and you're probably bored of that. Well, let me go over why everyone thinks he's happening. He's from the fourth and last of the 1986 Famicom action/adventure games which helped to solidify Nintendo's design philosophies, alongside Metroid, Kid Icarus, and The Legend of Zelda, the last of which is his sister series. The Mysterious Murasame Castle was built off of the Zelda engine, but was focused much more heavily on action than Zelda was. The game is sort of an early bullet hell, and your goal in the game is to dodge projectiles from Ninja, Samurai, and monsters while throwing kunai, windmill blades, and fireballs at your opponents. You have your trusty katana as well, which is used specifically for killing up-close enemies and deflecting projectiles. The plot of the game is really interesting, too. To quote wikipedia:
In Edo period Japan, Murasame Castle houses a gigantic stone statue known as Murasame. The people lived peacefully until one stormy night, when a shining golden object fell onto the castle from the sky. Deafening shrieks arose from the castle, and the shining object is later revealed to be an alien creature who gives life to the stone statue Murasame and takes over the castle. The alien creature extends its power to four other neighboring castles, giving the daimyō lords each an evil sphere of power. The lords are taken over by the alien's evil power, and use the spheres to summon ninja armies and monsters to attack villagers. Hearing of these strange occurrences, the shogunate led by Tokugawa Ietsuna sends Takamaru, a samurai apprentice, on a secret mission to investigate the castle.
I mean, tell me that's not sick. Anyways, Takamaru has gotten quite a bit of attention compared to most retro characters: he had an international virtual console release for 3DS in 2014, his game was featured at E3 2010 alongside other notable classics for a tech demo, he had a television drama to coincide with his game's release, and he's made cameos in Pikmin 2, Captain Rainbow, and WarioWare DIY, he had a playable appearance and mode in Samurai Warriors 3, he appeared as a sticker in SSBB and had his theme as an unlockable, he was an assist trophy in SSB4, and he received a Mii Costume in early 2016. In fact, the director of Platinum Games, Hideki Kamiya, has stated he wants to do a Murasame Castle game to revitalize the franchise. Given Sakurai's interest in reviving old franchises, it would make a lot of sense for Takamaru to be included as the famicom-era retro for this upcoming game. That said, he still does face competition from Excite Biker, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Lip, Muddy Mole, Sukapon, and others, so it's possible that he'll be passed over again due to relative lack of recognizability in the US. Certainty: 66.66%

Ridley: While partially included due to the Vergeben rumor, Ridley does have a number of major accomplishments to his name. He's Samus' biggest rival and an enormous pain in her side, and he's been included in literally every Super Smash Bros. game except for the 3DS version of SSB4. He likely was one of the most massively requested characters for the ballot, and he's well-known for Sakurai having outright stated that he considered how to include him...You know how that went. He couldn't include him because he thought he was too big. We had an official statement on that. ...That said, if any character got enough attention last time for Sakurai to reconsider him, it's Ridley. He's incredibly popular and the frontrunner for a new Metroid character, which people have been begging for since Brawl included a second version of Samus. That said, there's every reason to assume that Sakurai hasn't changed his mind, which leaves Ridley's fate a giant question. Certainty: 30%

Bandana Dee: The fourth playable character of the Kirby series and resident "character who won't stop showing up in everything," I think it's fair to say that this character has crossed Sakurai's mind. He had minor appearances in Kirby Super Star, Kirby Super Star Ultra, and Kirby Mass Attack, and he's had more substantial roles in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Kirby Battle Royale, and Kirby Star Allies. To say he's been showing up a lot is a major understatement. He's a spear user and a lightweight, an interesting combination for Smash Bros. Further, he doesn't seem like he'd be a difficult character to include at all, as many of his animations in-game line up perfectly with Smash. He's a rising Nintendo all-star, and he'd be an easy inclusion. I'd be more surprised than not to see him miss the roster this time around. Certainty: 66.66%

Wolf: The most glaring omission from Smash 4's roster barring the Ice Climbers, Wolf has little reason not to return. His series has even had a recent release with Star Fox: Zero, and he made a major appearance in it. Certainty: 85%

Lycanroc: This wolf has been making waves in the Pokemon scene. Of all the Pokemon in the anime right now, few can boast a record like Lycanroc's. He's basically Ash's Greninja of this series. That said, he faces stiff competition from Mimikyu, Rowlet, Decidueye, and Incineroar, and even more odd choices like Alolan Ninetails and Nihilego. He's, in my opinion, the most likely of the Pokemon newcomers for this game. Certainty: 40%

Isabelle: I don't think any new Nintendo character has made waves as big as Isabelle except the Inklings. She's the mayor the assistant to the mayor in Animal Crossing: New Leaf and it's Welcome Amiibo update, and she appears in Happy Home Designer and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp as well. She's the face of the current Animal Crossing franchise, to the point of having control of the Animal Crossing twitter account. She's made several appearances since her inception, including in SSB4, Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate, and Mario Kart 8, and she has costume cameos in a couple of other titles. She could be said to be shy and unlikely to battle, but I imagine we could get around that by having her treat the battle like she's happily playing around. She has plenty of potential to represent Animal Crossing in more detail, including with ordinances, holiday items, furniture moving, and flower planting. I'm much more confident on her than I was when I started speculating here, and I think she's going to happen. That said, it's entirely possible for Sakurai to see her as too much of a pacifist to fight. Certainty: 60%

Alph: I'm basically 50/50 on Alph, to be honest. I'm essentially thinking that Sakurai will want to come back to the ideas he had for Alph in Smash 4 and will want to implement him due to his role in Pikmin 3. That said, he's very easy to keep as a costume. Certainty: 40%

Rhythm Heaven Character: It could be Chorus Kids, Marshall, Tap Trial Girl, Karate Joe, Rhythm Monkey, or any number of other characters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Rhythm Heaven character happen after being left out in Smash 4 (as indicated by remnant data). That said, I could also see the idea being left behind for reasons unrelated to 3DS limitations sort of like how Brawl's Diddy+Dixie team, Plusle and Minun, and Toon Zelda/Sheik were never brought back. Certainty: 35%

Elma: She's the main character of the Xenoblade game which came out most recently when planning for Smash 5's roster was finalized. I'm confident that Sakurai will have considered her, and I think her potential as a dual-wielder will have sparked Sakurai's curiosity. Further, XCX is likely due to receive a Switch Port and a sequel in due time, which means she isn't going to stay a one-off character like Rex and Pyra. However, there's always the chance that Sakurai went to Monolith to see what the next protagonist would be like, and there's the chance that there's no Xenoblade newcomer at all. Certainty: 75%

Inkling: Duh

Simon Belmont: Included based on inspiration from the leak, but he makes a lot of sense in hindsight. His game is one that Sakurai apparently admires deeply, he has oodles of moveset potential with his whip, and the opportunity to get him and Snake at the same time in negotiations seems like one that would tempt Sakurai. That said, it's far from a guarantee when one considers all the potential third parties he could include. Certainty: 20%

Snake: A popular returning veteran who basically has to rely on Sakurai approaching Konami again to get in. His chances are terribly if Simon wasn't also in the picture. Certainty: 15%

Rayman: Have you seen Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo recently? They were one of the few third party companies to continue supporting Nintendo in the Wii U era, they have stayed around for the Switch, and they just came off of a game where they got to use Mario himself as they wished to. It makes perfect sense for the company to get the closest thing they have to a mascot in Smash Bros. at this time. Certainty: 66.66%

DLC choices should be relatively straightforward. Rex and Springman are popular first party characters who appeared too late to make the base roster, Bomberman is a popularly requested third party from a company that Sakurai would already be working with if Simon and Snake are in, King K. Rool is a popular first party fan request, Tails is an icon and easy enough to include with two other Sega characters already in the game (though he's a risk, I admit), Sylux and a Gen 8 Pokemon are easy promotional inclusions for Prime 4 and the upcoming Switch Pokemon game, and Sora is a character that would make Cloud-like waves in the gaming community.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I have a feeling a lot of 3rd parties will appear as Trophies (not assist trophies just regular ones) just like Rayman and Commander Video did in Smash 4.

We might get Skyrim trophies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Hooooii~ Courtesy from Anon, here's another update on the wonderful world of Leaks and Rumor!~ With some VERY interesting development.

So. What interesting development? Well, Anon managed to get in contact with Vergeben himself by GameFaqs PM?

I love this. This is like following an investigation team-
We L.A Noire Now.
Can we remove Alax's tweet from this list? He doesn't actually have any insider information lol.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I hope you guys appreciate the amount of typing I just did. Feel free to send me roster criticisms.
It is quite a lot of typing.
How is Rowlet even vaguely possible? There are so many practical options, and then there's a nearly-spherical baby owl. He's got a good chance as a Pokeball Pokemon if Decidueye doesn't ruin it for him, but it seems silly to think that he merits inclusion as a fighter.
How unreasonable would you say Dovakiin/Chosen Undead are considering your roster has Kamek on it?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It is quite a lot of typing.
How is Rowlet even vaguely possible? There are so many practical options, and then there's a nearly-spherical baby owl. He's got a good chance as a Pokeball Pokemon if Decidueye doesn't ruin it for him, but it seems silly to think that he merits inclusion as a fighter.
How unreasonable would you say Dovakiin/Chosen Undead are considering your roster has Kamek on it?
Rowlet's still the most popular first stage Sun/Moon starter, and it's not like a cute Pokemon is incapable of fighting - just look at Jigglypuff and Pikachu. He still has plenty of grass-based options and he's a bird, which lends itself well enough to a moveset.

I don't really consider either to have great odds. (Though I won't claim they're impossible.) They just don't have the same star power of the other third parties to make up for being western (which does seem to matter.) If I had to say which one's more likely, though, I think the Dovakiin is more recognized as a player character. For Dark Souls, I think Solaire would happen before the Chosen Undead, to be honest.

Though I would argue Kamek has a lot more going for him than either of them :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom