• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Considering the game is likely to come out before the end of the year, there's only a window of roughly 6 and a half months until the game's launch window at maximum. While I would assume most leaks are easily faked, I still get the feeling a real one will be popping through the cracks before the game actually launches. The problem is it wont be known which one is the truth (unless E3 proves an unlikely character choice which would be exceptionally difficult to predict without knowing ahead of time), so we'll be left confused for much of this time unless the pic of the day system returns after E3 (I really wish they had just returned pic of the day after the announcement in the direct...)
Personally in this case it's gamefaqs though so it's wise to be skeptical to take anything from there.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Gamefaqs Smash Switch board user Jeff_Mercer (Sunny) claims to have an inside source for Smash Bros Switch at E3, and teases potential newcomers:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76647008
Not 100% sure on this but they do daily posts called "Rate their Chances" and has a pinned message about leak compilation so I believe they are a moderator but I am not familiar with gamefaqs management.
Gonna be real with you the owl makes all of this feel fake. Why add in someone they have not promoted much at all? It seems attention-grabby.

Last edited:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
My uncle's friend's dog works at Nintendo and he says it's fake because the only other newcomer is Shrek.
Or would you have me provide hard evidence on a game that hasn't come out yet? It's a fanservice-y roster that is exponentially larger than any single leak that has previously turned out to be true, and the guy who leaked it provided an answer key. There is nothing that makes this credible and nothing that makes it distinguishable from any other nonsense leak other than that is tries substantially harder to get attention by feigning obscurity.

[Not a proper quote to avoid pinging golden, but it was on page 1217.]
No need to be rude about it, just saying there no proof if it being fake or real besides it's sounds too good to be true.

Well after years of Smash being bombarded with fake rumors and the like, it's just natural to be very skeptical lol
True but I wish people would have actually talked about ibstins of brushing it off completely.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Smashboards gets so quite leading up to the daily backup...
I’m up for another few hours anyways, so I’ll chat with ya :p

What’s your most wanted change for Yoshi in Smash Switch? Personally, I’m hoping he gets a new final smash.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I’m up for another few hours anyways, so I’ll chat with ya :p

What’s your most wanted change for Yoshi in Smash Switch? Personally, I’m hoping he gets a new final smash.
I wouldn't mind another Final Smash either. My guess would be the Mega Eggdozer just obliterating everything in its path.

But honsestly, other than making a few of his moves come out faster, the only other change I would want (and is probably the most likely) is a tether recovery

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Also Takamaru was "confirmed"
How so?
I kind of lost track of the thread.

Also that thread from Mercer is obviously fake.
It relies too much on the already debunked "leaks" we got in the past month.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind another Final Smash either. My guess would be the Mega Eggdozer just obliterating everything in its path.

But honsestly, other than making a few of his moves come out faster, the only other change I would want (and is probably the most likely) is a tether recovery
That’d be a good one. I get what his current final smash is supposed to represent, but the execution just doesn’t really fit him in my books.

I’m not sure if they’ll bring back tethers to this game. If they do, I could maybe see Yoshi getting one. It’d be nice to give him some more recovery options.

I’m also curious what his stage will be his time. Wooly World was so new when 4 came out that I almost wonder if they won’t just bring it back.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I’m also curious what his stage will be his time. Wooly World was so new when 4 came out that I almost wonder if they won’t just bring it back.
Considering that stage was originally gonna be a "Kirby's Epic Yarn" stage, I don't see him getting a new stage from this upcoming game. I once posted on one of the stage threads that a stage based off the final battle in Yoshi's Island would be tight.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ah I’ve missed pre-release speculation. I’m a little late to the party but I’m just happy to be back in buisness and discuss fake leaks :b:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I hope we'll get at least Yarn Yoshi as an alt.
He was so cute. Yoshi doesn't have many characters of his own to work with, so he could at least have that.

Ah I’ve missed pre-release speculation. I’m a little late to the party but I’m just happy to be back in buisness and discuss fake leaks :b:
At least you'll only have to wait two more weeks before the big event.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
He was so cute. Yoshi doesn't have many characters of his own to work with, so he could at least have that.
I get why people would want Yarn Yoshi as an alt. But the one thing that's keeping him from becoming one is his body proportions. Trust me, I have both a normal Yoshi amiibo and a Yarn Yoshi amiibo standing on my desk as I type

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
So, like, I finished reading the leak thread and now I 100% believe him.

Only because he hinted at Ashley becoming a Wario rep as a newcomer.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Considering that stage was originally gonna be a "Kirby's Epic Yarn" stage, I don't see him getting a new stage from this upcoming game. I once posted on one of the stage threads that a stage based off the final battle in Yoshi's Island would be tight.
That’d be pretty cool. A lot darker than the Yoshi stages we usually get!

I’d be 100% ok with this.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I get why people would want Yarn Yoshi as an alt. But the one thing that's keeping him from becoming one is his body proportions. Trust me, I have both a normal Yoshi amiibo and a Yarn Yoshi amiibo standing on my desk as I type
Or replace Yoshi's down B with Yarn Yoshi drones the same way Bowser Jr. uses Mecha koopa bombs.
I have good ideas sometimes.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Summary from the earlier-posted thread:
https://prnt.sc/jn4m3z
Also Takamaru was "confirmed"
And this is plainly fake, it's obvious from the second sentence of the OP. It's just a game to briefly have attention like the rest of these are.
Really doubt it's real, but if that's the case...

-Inklings
-Simon
-Ridley
-King K. Rool
-Rex
-Decidueye
-Waluigi
-Geno
-Wolf
-Ice Climbers

I have mixed feelings.
K. Rool, Ridley and Geno would make their fidel fans happy. The three of them at once though ? Mmh.
Decidueye makes sense if GF initially intended to push him. Then they changed for Mimikyu/Lycanroc/Incineroar but it was too late to make a change.
Waluigi over Toad? I doubt it a bit, and I'm a huge Waluigi fan.
Rex over a Xenoblade X character could happen if he was being pushed over Elma/Cross by the team in July 2016. No Pyra?
The two most obvious veterans coming back, so no problem.

I will also add that he said there would be between 10 and 20 newcomers, so it wouldn't be the final list with at least two more characters.

Once again too good to be true and relies heavily on the leak from V.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Man, everyone's got Simon and Ridley on their leaks now.

Bandwagoning much?

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
If you were to make a fake leak, what kind of stuff will you say to make it believable and at the same time surprising?
A fake leak have to had a mix between something amazing and something credible.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
If you were to make a fake leak, what kind of stuff will you say to make it believable and at the same time surprising?
• I recently did some play testing for Nintendo, and have some new information about the upcoming Super Smash Bros for the Switch! (Give them a reason to trust you, and never fall back on cliches like “my uncle works at Nintendo” or “I have secrets and don’t care if you believe me!”)
• Newcomers include Isabelle, Mimikyu, ExciteBiker, and Zeta Metroid (Give ‘em a few fighters, not all, and combine general consensus picks with unexpected ideas)
• Cuts are Charizard and Toon Link (Make some cuts to fighters people would never expect. It’s not a crowd pleaser, so it reads a little less like a fan roster)
• There are several new modes, including a new Story Mode that features online co-op. Overall online functionality will be increased. (Don’t just list characters, impart vague knowledge about other things too)
• Most of this should be confirmed in an upcoming Nintendo Direct! (Make open-ended promises for the future, not pinning yourself down to any particulars, but still giving the appearance of confidence)

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
-I have a friend that's friends with Reggie and has some information to share with you all
-E3 will reveal Sora, Simon, Tibby, Ridley, Ice Climbers, and K Rool
-The theme song will have lyrics and vocals
-Story mode is returning
-There will be a stage based on Meteos
-Akira Yamaoka and Naoki Maeda will be brought on as composers.

How's that?

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
• I recently did some play testing for Nintendo, and have some new information about the upcoming Super Smash Bros for the Switch! (Give them a reason to trust you, and never fall back on cliches like “my uncle works at Nintendo” or “I have secrets and don’t care if you believe me!”)
• Newcomers include Isabelle, Mimikyu, ExciteBiker, and Zeta Metroid (Give ‘em a few fighters, not all, and combine general consensus picks with unexpected ideas)
• Cuts are Charizard and Toon Link (Make some cuts to fighters people would never expect. It’s not a crowd pleaser, so it reads a little less like a fan roster)
• There are several new modes, including a new Story Mode that features online co-op. Overall online functionality will be increased. (Don’t just list characters, impart vague knowledge about other things too)
• Most of this should be confirmed in an upcoming Nintendo Direct! (Make open-ended promises for the future, not pinning yourself down to any particulars, but still giving the appearance of confidence)

Also talk about recent leaks.
Disprove those which information mismatch yours and comment on how leaks that have information in common with yours "guessed something right".
So you'll look like you know something that nobody else does, and that the others take guesses while you have the correct answers.

"Oh hey guys, I work as a technician for Nintendo's presentations at E3.
They will reveal Daisy, Crash Bandicoot and Daroach as Newcomers, and confirm Ice Climbers at the Nintendo Treehouse the next day.
Story mode is returning, but it's a remake of Brawl's and not a direct sequel. The artstyle is bright and detailed, but also presents the thick lines from the 3DS version of Smash 4.
There will be stages based on locations from Golden Sun and the upcoming Go Vacation game for Nintenso Switch.

The guy who said that Crash and the IC were going to be in probably took a guess, since I didn't see any time block nor trailer dedicated to Spyro.
The guy who talked about the Castlevania guy and Ridley? Completely false, but it was a nice try."

Bam.
Post it on Gamefaqs and have your week of internet fame.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another good plausible "source" is the person next to me was working on a powerpoint presentation and I saw this info while I was pretending to sleep.

That's how Assassin's Creed got leaked.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, there seems to be a little fervor in the thread right now, so it might be best to cool it with a quick survey, yeah?

What do you plan on doing to make the two-week road to E3 less agonizing?

I don't necessarily have anything special planned. Basically, memes, sketches, and videos is all I have on my agenda, but I think it'll be enough to hold me over.
Gonna be traveling to Ohio for ColossalCon next week - apparently it's gonna have David Vincent there, so I can get to meet :4robinm:'s VA in person! Really excited for this.

Also there's gonna be some Smash Wii U + Melee-tournaments inside the con... hope to give the latter a shot as well.

Waluigi over Toad? I doubt it a bit, and I'm a huge Waluigi fan.
It's weird because I see Waluigi or other Mario-repsr happening more likely than (Captain) Toad due how Sakurai's been not keen on Toad's inclusion up to this point and the lack of jumping as a basis for moveset sounds too much work to justify such NPC-like character to Sakurai before.

Doesn't help to me that the overall feel on everyone rallying to Captain Toad as of late seems very ripe for Chrom-esque situation of getting "dunked" to a similar memetic-status by the deconfirmation embarrassment regarding him, after such long legacy of rebuilding himself as his own character through very well-received spinoff game.

However, since Waluigi and also Daisy had also been dismissed throughout the series, there might be good chance we get no new Mario-characters at all. Paper Mario and other more special Mario-reps like Geno are another can of worms though - even if now and then, I feel like Geno, through the Ballot -> Mii Costume, might even pose the new surprise Mario + 3rd Party to Smash Switch.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
He's better as a Pokeball summon. Same with Skull Kid,
I disagree.

Not only is Skull Kid not a Pokemon :p But he would make an awesome playable character. And I think he's resume is good enough to be in.

Very iconic, very beloved, surprisingly relevant and has a lot of potential for a cool moveset. And he's still out there in the series so it's entirely possible for him to show up again like he did in Twilight Princess. Even Majora's Mask itself pops now and again such as in A Link Between Worlds and Breath of the wild DLC. (and as a Smash costume and Monster Hunter DLC)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well, there seems to be a little fervor in the thread right now, so it might be best to cool it with a quick survey, yeah?

I don't necessarily have anything special planned. Basically, memes, sketches, and videos is all I have on my agenda, but I think it'll be enough to hold me over.
well my exams start in a week... kill me ffs

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123

I have exams until the 8th of June, plus a part-time job in the evening to keep me busy, so I'm fully booked.
Hope to wake up from this nightmare to either a beautiful bellydancer or an awesome imp princess in Smash. Or both.

Last edited:

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

By a sheer stroke of luck my boyfriend visits for the next two weeks so I'll spend them with him.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace

I guess Bayonetta is actually more of Honorable Nintendo character than a thirds party character. I just realized that there is no SSB x Bayonetta, unlike Cloud and Ryu getting their SSB x SF and SSB x FF.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
This Jeff Mercer guy claims he's seen concept art of the game.

Is this guy legit? Haven't heard of him before. Doesn't sound like he is, at all.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well I got a new job so while that may not be less agonising (depending on how it goes) at least it will take my mind off it.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

I guess Bayonetta is actually more of Honorable Nintendo character than a thirds party character. I just realized that there is no SSB x Bayonetta, unlike Cloud and Ryu getting their SSB x SF and SSB x FF.
I'm very curious where Bayonetta will be placed in the roster. She's such an oddity they may even group her with the first party characters. Nintendo definitely likes to treat her like she's a Nintendo character.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Try to survive the next two weeks of University and stop procrastinating here. Maybe I might go on temporary leave so I could focus on my studies, or at least check in on Fridays. I should be done in time to see the start of E3, so I'll be back in two weeks.

... Or at least stay out of this thread for a while and stay for the Rate Their Chances forum game...

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Monika is technically kind of almost a Nintendo character.

MAKE IT HAPPEN SAKURAI.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I assume I'll be busy with work for most of that time, though between the Street Fighter collection, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and the large amount of movies and TV shows that I haven't found the time to sit down and watch (including Arrested Development season 5, when that comes out), I'll find plenty of ways to occupy my time.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Real talk. So, ever since Brawl days, this community have been poisionous with the "rep" talk for years. And by time, we have got to go against the whole "rep" arguments, which is cool, and good, as it's refreshing, and perhaps more healthier for the discussion matter;

A reminder of our previous poison;

G1: Do you think Kid Icarus could get a new rep?
G2: NEW REP!? Hell no! Not before Kirby get's his 4th!!!

Instead of the likes of;
G1: Do you think Kid Icarus will get a new rep?
G2: I don't think it's the matter of rep number, but if there is a character in the franchise which is relevant, popular, and could benefit of promotion.

Now, with that beginning to be a pleasent evolution, why can't we do the same about Pokémon?

I don't believe that one gen being over "represented" is a thing in Smash. People argue that Squirtle and Ivysaur should not come back, because that would over represent the Gen I. Now, where is any Gen II, Gen III or Gen V Pokémon?

Gen I is more recognizable, and arguably much more popular than any other Generation of Pokémon, so why would Sakurai and his team not prioritize it? I do believe that Gen 7 could have a new character from the gen, but I don't think this hurts Squirtle and Ivysaur's chances one bit. Pokémon is huge, and popular, it could do with that many characters.

What do you guys think? Do you think there is a Gen "boundry", or do you think it's no restrictions to how many Pokémon could come out from one Gen?

Just wished to make it into a discussion topic, since we lean away from the ideology of "reps" and turned it into "relevance, history, popularity, etc" which is greater for a discussion point, but still we keep filling our vains with "reps" discussion in the topic of Pokémon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom