• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: The Movie

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Do you think that Brawl could make for a good movie? Animated, of course. We all know how horrendous real-life video game movies are (Super Mario Bros. anyone?). But I think that a brawl movie would be a capital idea. It could follow the SSE. Anyone else think so?

antimatter

Smash Lord
not until the metroid movie. god, if it gets out of development hell, it will suck. danged if they do, danged if they don't.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
A couple of years ago, the mere thought of this movie's existence would have been met with ridicule. But now we've got Square making animated movies, and Capcom's planning a Resident Evil film in 3D.

Anything's possible, but it doesn't seem like Nintendo really wants to take any of its games to the silver screen (a Metroid movie ain't gonna happen soon, especially with the writer's strike).

Patinator

Smash Champion
This idea is so awesome.... A Smash movie!

If only some SWF members worked at Nintendo and got this idea...

Of course, then we'd have a Mario movie (A GOOD won, I might add, done by Nintendo!!!), Legend of Zelda movie, Metroid, DK, Kirby, F-Zero, I can go on...

But yeah, a Smash movie would be incredible!

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a horrible idea. I can't think of a single Nintendo franchise on its own that has a good story, so throwing a bunch of them together senselessly would be even worse.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
if done right, I don't see why not, but they'd hollywood it up like the mario bros movie, and it would turning out to be rubbish. ud have to have fan boy writers and a fanboy director for it to turn out acceptable by us game players.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
if done right, I don't see why not, but they'd hollywood it up like the mario bros movie, and it would turning out to be rubbish. ud have to have fan boy writers and a fanboy director for it to turn out acceptable by us game players.
That's right. The right director and the write screenplay writer make all the difference.

Let's just hope for a LOTR instead of an Alone in the Dark.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
IF DONE RIGHT?! Who in their right minds would do it right? Sakuari could do it right, but why in god's name would he do some craptacular movie to ruin a good thing? You guys are seriously way out there. It would simply suck, that is all. It's like trying to get link to talk or something....

Patinator

Smash Champion
We could, theoretically, get someone besides Sakurai to do it...

...Like Gimpyfish...

...Or Mew2King...

...Or Ken...

...Or Youko...

...Or Isai...

Nah, Isai's "Too Good". For making movies, at least. :rotfl:

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This is a god awful idea. No more video game movies

Akiak

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if that was spam or not^^

Whatever, anyway I think it would be cool. Its the opposite of all the other movies. Those first make a movie, then a crappy game about it.

Instead for SSBB movie first they make an AWESOME game, then a movie.

I'm just worried about it being too kiddish. Like yay everybody wins and then the bad guys win too somehow. That would be crap.

When they made the SMB movie, that was full of violence (the stabbed yoshi part)they found out it was crap cuz the movie was supposed to be for kids but turned out for adults that don't care to watch it.

Because of this, maybe they'll make it kiddish.

Imagine if they make it with drawings!!!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if that was spam or not^^
It's not spam if it's true. Down with video game movies and all who think they're a good idea.

Those first make a movie, then a crappy game about it.

Instead for SSBB movie first they make an AWESOME game, then a movie.
It's been done before, and they still sucked.

When they made the SMB movie, that was full of violence (the stabbed yoshi part)they found out it was crap cuz the movie was supposed to be for kids but turned out for adults that don't care to watch it.
Too violent for kids? Made for adults? LMAO, those are definitely not reasons why it sucked, and you must not watch a lot of PG-13 movies.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Good try, but NO! Just because there is a good amount of gaming fans who THINK this would be a good idea DOESN'T MAKE it a good idea. Hell, I think Baten Kaitos would make a great movie, but I don't think it would do well outside of the gaming community, so I will let it go. You have to use logic to realize that the movie would have to reach out to a bigger audience than just gamers. Wait to see if movies for video games like TLOZ or the Metroid Prime series end up being major blockbusters. Then consider this idea. Also, this game series has barely any storyine, unlike TLOZ or MP, which basically are all storyline. So what if the Subspace Emissary thing turns out to be good. It won't stray away from the fact that this game is just a normal fighting game collaborating many Nintendo characters. You can obsess over a video game, sure (that is why we have Smashboards), but taking it to the theaters is a bit much, don't you think? This was meant to be a game, nothing else but a game. Enjoy it. Don't ask any more of it. It is good enough as a game.

P.S. I see Samuel L. Jackson as more of a Luigi (Billy Bob Thornton as Mario, and Keanu Reeves as Pit. HAHAHA!)

This has been a REALITY CHECK, and we are through.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I've been thinking of an animated format instead of actors... Three dimensional animation, but still drawings and stuff.

But I guess Melon has a point. Brawl would make a cool movie... For gamers who played the game.

Although, the Super Mario Brothers' Super Show and Legend of Zelda cartoon were quite popular when they aired. Not that I was around then, but...

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I've been thinking of an animated format instead of actors... Three dimensional animation, but still drawings and stuff.

We meant have them as the voices for the characters.

Also, those shows were popular, but you forget that those series still had storylines. SMB has Mario trying to save the disaster-prone Peach from Bowser and all that crap. TLOZ is about Link trying to save the kingdom of Hyrule or some other place, it changes every couple games , from Ganon and certain darkness. SSB is all about taking your favorite fighters from Nintendo and kicking the living crap out of your friends' favorite fighters. It's just not cut out for the job as a movie. The main thing it needs to do is build up a storyline and run with it for a couple games until you can build up enough momentum to even think about bringing it to the big screen.

This has been a REALITY CHECK, and we are through.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Now that smash has a story for say, I dont see why not, I would actually prefer it in 3d animation rather than live action, I can only imagine the primid having these costumes were u can see the zipper in the back XD

Ninja-Z

Smash Rookie
It's not just the bad resume that video game movies have that make a Brawl movie unthinkable, but the fact that it's a fighting game involving several key Nintendo franchises. Its only plotline comes in the form of SSE, which isn't movie material and only serves to set up the fights. Heck, an animated Mario movie would be much better than an animated Brawl. That would at least have something interesting to provide to viewers.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
It's not just the bad resume that video game movies have that make a Brawl movie unthinkable, but the fact that it's a fighting game involving several key Nintendo franchises. Its only plotline comes in the form of SSE, which isn't movie material and only serves to set up the fights. Heck, an animated Mario movie would be much better than an animated Brawl. That would at least have something interesting to provide to viewers.
The live action one did as well, and it still blew itself out of the water.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
NO

i is fine as a game and it won't happen anyway.

i could see a zelda movie though... i mean did u all know peter jackson (LOTR guy) is the producer of a halo movie that is in the VERY early stages of production.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
It has to be live-action. Thomas F. Wilson (Biff from Back to the Future) would be a great Bowser.

"Hey Mario! I thought I told you never to come in here!"

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Seriously, no. the melon!!! and Ninja-Z already mentioned all the important points why a SSB movie would, let's say, not so good ("suck" would be a bit harsh).

You know how ONE movie of a game (and vice versa for that matter) can ruin the whole thing! Because we ALL know that some gamers are nitpicky and aren't open for any fresh ideas at all. As already mentioned, the movie director and writers would have to be complete fanboys to do it even remotely right. And if there'd be a movie, it would have very low ratings because the fans of the franchise imagined something completely different.
Seriously, none of us want to see THAT happen, or do we?

D

Deleted member

I can easily imagine an anime-style trilogy

Of course, it'd need the characters original voice actors in the games:
Mario=Charles Matinet
Sonic=Ryan Drummond

And cast voices for those nessecary:
Link=Elijah Wood

And keep the voice actors from the sh-NO!! NOOOO!! I can see it now:
King DeDeDe=Black Voice Actor From Lame Anime

Maybe it could be loosely based on the SSE, as in similar but with major differences:
Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Link, Samus, Fox, Pit, and Pikachu joins forces halfway through the first film;
Meta Knight betrays the other Smash Bros.;
For some strange reason, I've always envisioned Bowser and Zelda having a romance;
Major Appearances From Awesome Non-Smash Bros. Such As:
Geno (promoted to relative power)
Krystal
King K. Rool (demoted of relative power)
Knuckles the Echidna
Saki Amamiya

What do you think?

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Wow, just saw the thread with the dragonball movie and i thought that was a bad idea. What would be the plot, which characters would be in the movie, and how corny that would be.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
I think the ones who disagree are right, theres no way i can see that a good ssb movie could be made, however it could actually work as an anime series that explains the events behind Super Smash Bros. being formed with the right direction. Seriously it would start off with all the main villians from the series of each of the 12 smash characters finding them, beating them up, and throwing them in a cell somewhere. Ganondorf would beat Fox, mortally wound Peppy, and almost destroy Falcos arm (Falco protected Fox from an energy blast). Then Ridley would attack Kirbys village and eventually overpower him after a long fight in the air. Mewtwo would defeat Samus by crushing her armor in on herself. Bowser would defeat Pikachu with huge unavoidable fire blast, leveling the whole city while he was at it (and Pikachu's thunder attacks would be blocked by his shell). Then King K. Rool allies himself with King Bulblin from LoZ Twilight princess and attacks hyrule with both his and Bulblins tribe. Although he is almost defeated by Link, manages to shoot him with a shotgun as "Kaptain K. Rool" (no seriously his name actually varies in Donkey Kongs games). Andross defeats Donkey Kong, and finally, Dark Matter (he's a much better villian than Nightmare) possesses Yoshi and almost possesses Mario, deciding he was a better host since his body and powers were stronger, but is killed when Mario tricks him into a warp pipe and extinguishes him by filling the whole pipe with fire (he managed to beat Yoshi up so bad that Dark Matter decided to "abandon ship"). I could go on from there if you like, I have it figured out all the way up to after they fight Master Hand.

FreshMentos

Smash Rookie
I thought it would be awesome if Nintendo gave Pixar the rights to the Smash Bros. series so they could make movie out of the SSE. It'd be cool, but it would never happen...

orintemple

Smash Lord
This would be REALLY hard to pull of well. The problem with a movie like this is that it wouldn't have a central character to focus on, or even a few, it would have 30 or so. The plot would be jumping all of the place if you went with the SSE plot for a film and it would be senseless to make up some stupid plot out of the blue. SSE works well as an interactive media but not for a passive activity such as watching a film. Also, the games that make even haflway decent movies are games that are already cinematic in nature such as Resident Evil or Hitman, ot the Metal gear movie that will probably be awesome. Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat? These movies sucked hardcore. And look at the genres, fighting and Mario Bros, Smash has BOTH of those things...

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
It will never be a movie. There is no motive or initiative to make one; a SSBB movie will only exist in the minds of wishful thinking.

Hell, even a massively popular franchise like Halo has been indefinitely suspended....

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Do you think that Brawl could make for a good movie? Animated, of course. We all know how horrendous real-life video game movies are (Super Mario Bros. anyone?). But I think that a brawl movie would be a capital idea. It could follow the SSE. Anyone else think so?

No, I wouldn't want a movie simple because they'd have to give all the characters voices and I wouldn't want any of my favorite Nintendo characters ruined because of bad voice acting!

:3

Top Bottom