• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Maybe Rodan's roar would be more fitting for Ridley.

K. Rool can get Titanosaurus. They're both pretty goofy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will not be satisfied until Anguirus' voice is tacked onto a Smash character.

Charizard maybe?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do think that Bowser, Donkey Kong and Diddy should get their usual voices this time around. Sure they may sound cartoony and silly and all but hey, we are playing a fighting game where we launch our opponents off the stage cartoony style. Might as well give those three their usual voices then. I mean they did it for Luigi from changing him from his high pitched Mario voice to what he sounds like nowadays. =/

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone hear about the Mega Man game that was cancelled?

Anyone STILL believe he can make it in smash?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Megaman will get in the day SmashChu supports competitive Smash.

D

Deleted member

You know what I don't get? Why is it that a light character like Fox has a fast falling speed?
Because prosthetic legs for dem G Forces.

Also, you know the best part about P:M?

Being able to mod the skins to get Melee Fox, and SF Assault Fox. Good riddance with that Command travesty.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wrote this discussion for last night when the Sonic discussion was going on, I was nearly done with it, but then I got too tired and went to sleep. Anyway, I just thought I would share my thoughts on various things pertaining to Sonic

One Sonic game I felt was very underrated was Sonic 3D Blast. Sure there was basically no speed at all in the game, but otherwise it was a very fun and solid game. It was an interesting isometric 3d game, that offered a fresh new twist on the Sega Genesis arcade classic, Flicky (in Sonic 3D Blast, the birds you rescue are Flickies).

Unlike most modern Sonic games, the game was not a buggy mess, and very much playable, and overall it was fun. I remember when it first came out back in 1996, I was so disappointed that while Nintendo was able to successfully transition Mario into 3D, Sega put out that game instead. It was made even more disappointing that game was released in favor of Sonic Extreme (which I was anxiously anticipating in mid-1996).

However, despite the game not being up to the level of the rest of the Genesis Sonic games, I still found it to be a good game, and it definitely does not deserve the scorn it gets.

The other "unpopular" Sonic game that I have a soft spot for is Sonic R. However, objectively, I could probably chalk up my friendlier opinion towards that game towards childhood nostalgia (I sunk a lot of hours into that game, and even got a lot out of something as simply as the tag mode for that game).

I was not keen on either of the Sonic Adventure games (the only levels I thought were decent back when I played them were the Sonic/Tails levels in Adventure, and the Sonic/Shadow levels in Adventure 2). Overall, those games were probably 8/10 at best, and from what I have heard they aged rather poorly.

The last Sonic game I bought was Sonic Gems Collection back in 2005, mostly for Sonic CD and Sonic the Fighters. It was me enjoying Sonic CD as much as I did they probably made me have Sonic as my second most wanted character for Brawl after the unveil (I was a big fan of Sonic during the mid-90's, however, I basically stopped following the series after Sonic R, and both Adventure games did not impress me or re-ignite my interest for the blue blur).

Sonic the Fighters was a very cute game in general, and I personally thought it had the best 3D design for classic Sonic overall (its definitely better than the imaging that was done for Generations).

I think there is more to Sonic than speed. What Sonic had that a lot of other platformers did not was a physics engine. The speed of Sonic led to a manipulation of the game's engine, and the momentum from Sonic's speed helped allow him to reach places that would otherwise unscalable. This is a concept lost on the 3D Sonics.

I also feel that for within 2D Sonic game's more utilization of the physics engine could have been used. For Sonic CD for example, one of the key things you needed to figure out was whether you were in an area that allowed you gain enough momentum to time travel. By not understanding the terrain or the physics engine to the game, the game became much harder. I also enjoyed how Sonic CD encouraged much more exploration (backtracking through a level to find time travel posts and the corruption machines in the past).

I think there was a brilliant future for Sonic somewhere within the ideas that Sonic CD laid out, but sadly those ideas were never returned to. The point being is that there is much more to Sonic than "speed" or ugh "attitude" (which Sonic was never about especially if you at the Japanese artwork for the MegaDrive/Genesis games).

I know there is probably going to be a lot of people who will be irked by what I wrote, but overall I have rather unorthodox opinions pertaining to Sonic in general. Like I said though, I stopped with the series after Sonic Gems Collection (though I have seen playthroughs of future Sonic games to get an idea of the horrid condition the series went through 2005 onward).

D

Deleted member

I've heard good things about Colors. I've also played Sonic Unleashed on the Wii. It was pretty good, although the Werehog stages are excessive (seriously, they take up 2/3 of the game). Maybe consider one of those?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sonic-game speaking?

Humdydum, where to start...

Like DK, I saw Sonic through TV first (Sonic Underground). The first game though I got to even play about him was Sonic Heroes. Never got my hands on much else then, until I started to play Sonic-classics on Mega Collection Plus. These games were so kickass and just total blast to play, and there I also fell in love with Tails (wahahahh).
Due this, I didn't though get too interested on the modern games until seeing Unleashed with it's amazing Daytime levels. Colors was a nice pickup, though it felt very platform-based at times.

But I really agree with Chrono, Sonic's thing was the momentum platforming rather than speed. Speed was more of a thing played with to make the game more accessing and appealing back because how the momentum worked out and was slightly kinda like a "reward" for amount of platforming you get to do, especially in Sonic 2 and 3.I think it was like what developers decided to come nice functions around with.
But it wasn't really a center to Sonic's gameplay, even if it was based on picking it up: it contributed to the gameplay, much more than what it does today (I mean, boosting is cool and all, but sometimes a lot things now feel on-rails or automated due "gotta-go-fast"-attitude.) I really liked it this way, though I think Sonic CD's exploration mechanic felt at times VERY convoluted and confusing.

3D Sonic's (at least Generations) has started to kinda get the momentum platforming back and pacing up with the speedy sections like in the older days now though, which I hope they'll try to play more around with later on. You could give that at least a try Chrono, I'm sure you won't regret it.

My biggest favourites must be Sonic 3, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Advance 3 (ESPECIALLY), Sonic Rush, Sonic Colors (Wii + DS) and Generations.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sonic 3D blast was actually my first Sonic game... dunno wether I should be happy or sad about it... I was more of a Nintendo kid back then, though I thought it was pretty fun while it lasted. I wasn't aware that game was in competition with Super Mario 64 though. I enjoyed Super Mario 64 more imo. ^^'

volbound1700

Smash Master
Being a Sonic fan, In my opinion, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is hands down the best game in the series.

I always had a soft spot for Sonic 1 on Game Gear, I really enjoyed that game and it was the first Sonic game I ever played and first Game Gear game I played.

My favorite Sonic 3D games is the original Sonic Adventure which I recently tried and bought (actually to get the GG games). I have collected 80 emblems but it kind of makes me fustrated that I have to get 110 emblems to get Sonic 2 for game gear and 130 for Sonic TT. Yes I know I could emulate them but I would rather have it on my Wii.

I played SA2 Battle and own it. Alright game, it is just too cheezy and the mech levels (Dr. Robotnik and Tails) bore the crap out of me. Knuckle/Rouge levels are alright.

As for SA, love having overworld (like Mario games) but wasn't a fan of B1G's fishing levels or having near impossible speed runs over long levels to get an "A" emblem. I guess it creates replayability but I wouldn't even try it if not for the Gamegear titles.

I really enjoyed Final Boss fights on both SA and SA2, both strong suits for the series.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles are great games and a lot of fun, wish they could have been lumped together like Sonic 2 and had a better multiplayer.

Overall rankings of Sonic games I played based on my enjoyment:

1. Sonic 2
2. Sonic 1 - Game Gear
3. Sonic 1 - Genesis
4. Sonic Chaos
5. Sonic & Knuckles - Genesis
6. Sonic 3 - Genesis
7. Sonic Adventure
8. Sonic 2 - Game Gear
9. Sonic Spinball
10. Sonic Adventure 2
11. Sonic 3D Blast
12. Sonic Heroes
13. Any other Sonic title I tried.

I am interested in getting Colors since I have heard good things about it. Haven't tried Unleashed or the storybook titles.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Still on the Sonic subject? Well, to be fair, I kind of lost my interest in the series.

I liked Sonic Advance 3, both Sonic Rush games on the DS, Adventure 2 Battle and Heroes. You could say those are my top 5.
Secret Rings wasn't bad either.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Because prosthetic legs for dem G Forces.
Wouldn't that increase his weight in general though? And I always felt that theory was jossed since Adventures shows Krystal flying a ship at the very end of the game.

Oh, I found this this morning while looking for that Assault skin:

I saw this a while back, and I think it's pretty cool, even if Krystal looks like a rabbit somewhat.
EDIT: Read the original Tumblr post. It's actually Katt which makes more sense.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Even in that drawingI still can't tell what Slippy's gender is. :troll: And Fox's face looks more like an alpaca than a fox.

Also, only 60 days until good ol' E3 starts.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Fun fact, I first was introduced to Sonic through the AoStH cartoon, like Pokemon, back then I didn't even know Sonic was a video game character. :laugh:

1. Sonic 1
2. Sonic 1 Master System
3. Sonic 2
4. Sonic Generations
5. Sonic Colors
6. Sonic CD
7. Sonic Generations 3DS
8. Sonic Heroes
9. Sonic Adventure
10. Sonic & Knuckles

Also I'm not sure if I'm the only one who'd like to see this but I'd love to see a remake of Sonic 1 based off of the Classic Sonic levels from Generations for the 25th Anniversary. Could throw in the 3 exclusive Master System zones as well. I doubt we'll see another Generations type game (I wouldn't count Sonic 4 as Classic Sonic) and it's obvious the series will continue using the Modern Sonic style, so I think I'd be nice to see something from Generations not go to waste.

@Sonic Colors: For those on the edge about buying it, definitely go ahead and do so, you won't regret it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The first Sonic game I ever played was Sonic & Knuckles, back at my aunt's house when I was 7 (so about 14 years ago). I thought it was alot of fun, and would play it all the time, but I never owned a Genesis, being more of a Nintendo-oriented family (My grandmother was the one that introduced me to Final Fantasy and Mario 3 on our NES when I was 4. The woman drew her own maps for the dungeons. So much <3.) so Sonic never resonated with me the same way. However, I'll always have a special place in my heart for SA2 and Sonic 2. Such amazing games.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
whelp, glad to know other people share my opinion on Bowser! and yes i do agree that Bowser, DK, and Diddy should all have theyre most recent voices. DK's just makes me laugh though its far to hard to resist mimicing it! =P
On a side note i had a VERY weird dream that myself and a few members here got together in person at Habenero's place haha. man that was awkward

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
whelp, glad to know other people share my opinion on Bowser! and yes i do agree that Bowser, DK, and Diddy should all have theyre most recent voices. DK's just makes me laugh though its far to hard to resist mimicing it! =P
On a side note i had a VERY weird dream that myself and a few members here got together in person at Habenero's place haha. man that was awkward
See, I'm one of those people that isn't as fond of DK/Diddy's new voices as the N64/Snes voices. I always just thought they gave the characters more life. Bowser, however, I agree with, since I like his new voice.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
See, I'm one of those people that isn't as fond of DK/Diddy's new voices as the N64/Snes voices. I always just thought they gave the characters more life. Bowser, however, I agree with, since I like his new voice.
The voices im assuming you are talking about are just grunts and such, yes? the only example i can think of in DK's instance would be the clips from mario kart 64

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My family was also a Nintendo family, and the first Sonic game I played was also Sonic and Knuckles. Although my mother probably wouldn't have allowed Final Fantasy in our home.

My first game was Super Mario Bros 3, and we REALLY sucked at first. Most of us couldn't get past the first level, but one day I woke up to find my father made it all the way to world 2.
From there, we were able to figure everything out, including the best part - the mushrooms that come out of the blocks could be collected to make you more powerful. And from there, there was even MORE power ups!

I actually liked what I saw of the Genesis, it was new and different...and the person I knew who had one had a bunch of strange and pop culture-y games. Such as Bevis and Butthead, bugerman and Mortal Kombat. All very different games from what I had on the SNES.

Although I was a big Sonic fan from the cartoon anyway

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The voices im assuming you are talking about are just grunts and such, yes? the only example i can think of in DK's instance would be the clips from mario kart 64
Well, I was more thinking the more spoken voices, like his DK64 voice done by Grant Kirkhope. His and Diddy's voices in that game gave them so much more character than they had/have had since. I hope one day they use something similar.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I was more thinking the more spoken voices, like his DK64 voice done by Grant Kirkhope. His and Diddy's voices in that game gave them so much more character than they had/have had since. I hope one day they use something similar.
What? They have spoken voices in DK64? That's weird.

DK and DIddy shouldn't speak

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bowser's voice of nowadays just suits him imo. The realistic roars he's been using in the smash bros games just make him sound like a cheap movie monster as Snake implied (Although he was talking more about his look as a whole but still). And as I said, they gave Luigi his voice of nowaday's. They might as well do it for the other three too.

I like Donkey Kong and Diddy's DK 64 voices the most imo. "OOKAY!"

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
well i feel dumb, i completely forgot how they sounded in DK 64.....those wouldnt be bad though
really i just hope Bowser is made to resemble himself far more this time around

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What? They have spoken voices in DK64? That's weird.

DK and DIddy shouldn't speak
Well, technically it was just various phrases, like "Oookay!" for saving and stuff or "Cool!" Mostly it came up when selecting them from a tag barrel. They did "speak" in thought bubbles, although it wasn't voice acted. The only character with a real spoken voice in the game was K. Rool (and his voice was so awesome the game wouldn't have been the same without it.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey, K. Rool had an amazing voice actor in the cartoon. I also thought DK's had a really fantastic singing voice. The only voice(s) I really didn't like in the show were Diddy and Captain Scurvy, so I'd be totally OK with that.

So long as one of K Rool's taunts has him saying "thank you" :awesome:
GOD YES. I honestly think he will, since Sakurai plays up the DK fanservice hard (Look at Diddy), but if he doesn't, he will in the inevitable Project M version of SSB4 (Considering they gave Diddy a juggling taunt. Still my favorite thing in the game. I love whoever did that.)

D

Deleted member

Bowser's voice of nowadays just suits him imo. The realistic roars he's been using in the smash bros games just make him sound like a cheap movie monster as Snake implied (Although he was talking more about his look as a whole but still). And as I said, they gave Luigi his voice of nowaday's. They might as well do it for the other three too.

I like Donkey Kong and Diddy's DK 64 voices the most imo. "OOKAY!"
To be fair, when Bowser was added to the series with Melee, that pretty much was his voice (same with DK in the original Smash; it's strange that he wasn't given his DK64 voice in Melee, though).
Brawl having more "modernized" takes on their old voices was likely either due to tradition or that the guttural moans and Scooby talk didn't fit with the atmosphere Sakurai tried to make with Brawl.
After Bowser's Inside Story though, there is no excuse for not using his main voice now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, when Bowser was added to the series with Melee, that pretty much was his voice (same with DK in the original Smash; it's strange that he wasn't given his DK64 voice in Melee, though).
Brawl having more "modernized" takes on their old voices was likely either due to tradition or that the guttural moans and Scooby talk didn't fit with the atmosphere Sakurai tried to make with Brawl.
After Bowser's Inside Story though, there is no excuse for not using his main voice now.
Oh yeah, that's true. I forgot he didn't get his modern voice until after Melee. Maybe for Brawl they did do it either for tradition or because of the atmosphere they tried to make with Brawl, especially the Subspace Emmisary. Guess we'll have to see how their going to approach things this time with smash 4.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The thing is that Bowser doesn't yell out attack moves (like Captain Falcon or Starfurries) so grunts and roars work well for Smash. Maybe he can have a "speaking" line or two to use when he's SKOd or in a taunt but that would be it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing is that Bowser doesn't yell out attack moves (like Captain Falcon or Starfurries) so grunts and roars work well for Smash. Maybe he can have a "speaking" line or two to use when he's SKOd or in a taunt but that would be it.
No we were talking about his voice in general. So grunts and roars included.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think we can all agree, whether or not he has a voice or grunts, he still needs his laugh as a taunt.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I think we can all agree, whether or not he has a voice or grunts, he still needs his laugh as a taunt.
Yeah man, Bowser's taunts in Brawl were so ridiculously uninspired, I don't even know what went wrong there. What was the deal with the one where he almost falls over? Dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom