• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
we miss your craziness, John.

Smooth Criminal
Well when I'm tired is when it's the worst, especially when I'm so tired I start hallucinating.

Also, I am possibly un-retiring from this thread if this thread remains this awesome... at least for a while.

I think I've killed the BRoom special place with all my spam actually. Maybe I should torture the Ridley and K. Rool threads next! :smirk:
You can get a negative post count?!
Go read what choknater wrote; according to him that was his "curse" until it was reversed.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I asked Johnknight1 on stream, a few days ago, why he doesn't come to the SSB4 social any more, he said he retired that thread.
Glad you're back.
HEY ANYONE ELSE WATCHING KTAR 7 RIGHT NOW?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
D3 Chain Grab Stuff
So you define various different aspects with the general term "stuff"? Seems legit :rolleyes:.

What does that video have to do with what I said? D3 can perform a standing chaingrab on 2-3 characters to limited percentages, that doesn't disprove the fact that he can't roll-regrab to infinite his chaingrab.
Even then, there is a standing CG on some characters, although banned. Then you gotta consider "wall" CGs on stages like PS1 and that Delfino spot, and the walk-off spots on Delfino, etc.
Standing CGs are limited to specific percentages, and they are harder to maintain in higher percentages and almost impossible to maintain in triple digits. Considering stages like PS1 and Delfino spot and walk-off spots. Many things could happen such as MK's down-tilt on Delfino spot or Grab releasing characters to their deaths from walk-off spots. I think even Wario can perform an infinite CG on a wall in some stages. My point is, these kind of gimmicks are present in general and doesn't include King D3 only. Given those facts, I don't see his chaingrab to be a problem. Just don't get grabbed near a wall or Delfino's walk-off spots.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I asked Johnknight1 on stream, a few days ago, why he doesn't come to the SSB4 social any more, he said he retired that thread.
Glad you're back.
1. That was yesterday, not a few days ago.
2. It was a Project M 2.6 stream, and it was AMAZING!!!
3. I was torn between watching it and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
4. The awesomeness of this thread brought me back.
5. I now do most of my posting in a dark and evil secret group I'm not supposed to talk about. ;)
6. :007: looks amazing in Project M now! :grin:
7. I didn't forget about you now!
8... is my favorite number, along with 88! 80, 5, 19, 91, and 10 get honorable mentions.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll just be celebrating this on my own then.

Kawaiiii Uguuuu ~

Alright, it's been a long while since I've gone full ******, and I thought I'd throw out some feels I have about character chances. Of course, I'm doing it tier style. Before I jump into newcomers, let me start with vets.

Everyone from Brawl will return without a doubt, besides these characters:

Possibly Being cut From Brawl
Ike, Wolf, Sonic, Snake, Toon Link, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer
Now, I don't believe all of these characters will be cut. Heck, the only one I'm dead sure on is Snake. But I will say Lucario, and Toon Link are good candidates for cuts. Sonic would be in that group if it wasn't for the fact that Sakurai has already mentioned his sheer popularity once more. Next would be Sonic and Pokemon Trainer. Then least concern would be Wolf, and Ike.

Now, Newcomer Tiers:

Best Chances
Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chrom Pac-Man, Miis, Little Mac
The first three pretty much go without saying IMO. They each have a strong quality going for them. Mewtwo being who he is, the publicity he's recently gotten, Sakurai's comments, his position as an old vet and as popular as he is. Dixie's a once planned character, and a decently popular choice. Chrom is an international character from FE, who's in the latest FE title, and is generally well received (despite what Smashboards would like you to believe). The last three, well, you know.
Decent Chances
Roy, King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Shulk, Takamaru
The first two would be up in the "Best Chances" group if it wasn't for their Franchise counterparts taking precedence IMO. Ridley's here for being a small scale Mewtwo. Palutena, for being a popular choice, Sakurai's baby, and showing up in SSE/Brawl. Shulk kind of beats out all his competition, with Miis/Little Mac being the acceptions in terms of small franchise character. He's pretty popular for how old he is, and seems to be the new "IT BOY" from Nintendo's new star subsidary. Takamaru fits the role of "Retro revived" pretty well, and has a recognizably sized fanbase in both Japan and America.

50/50 Shot
Doctor Mario, Krystal, Bowser Junior, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Lucina, Isaac, Toon Zelda / Partner
Doc and Toon Link / Partner are like Dixie, but just on a smaller scale. They have an alright sized fanbase, but also seem to be filler material, unlike Dixie. Krystal, Junior, Isaac, Goroh, and BShadow is the all around "Got Everything, just it's up to Sakurai to say yes". Lucina seems to be like the former, just, she has Chrom and Roy in her way.
Small Chance, but still worth mentioning
Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, WarioWare Employee, Ghirahim, Tingle, Bandana Dee, Zoroark, Genesect, Other 6th Gen, Dark Samus, Medusa, Masked Man / Claus, Lyn, Pikmin Trio, Saki, Starfy, Dillon, Mach Rider, Layton
Instead of saying what these character's DON'T have, I'll throw out their best traits. Toad: Seniority, Iconic Paper Mario: Decently Popular Waluigi: Decently Popular, WarioWare Employee: Interesting / Wario's alone as of right now Ghirahim: Interesting, Popular enough, Personality Tingle: Interesting Zelda's Number 4 Bandana Dee: Interesting, Kirby's Number 4, Zoroark: Interesting, Most Popular Pokemon Choice Behind Mewtwo, Genesect: Mewtwo's Rival, 6th Gen: Hey, it's 6th Gen, Dark Samus: Not Big, Clone Material. Medusa: Big Villain, Decently Popular, Masked Man / Claus: Next in Line for Mother, Personality Lyn: Decently Popular, Interesting. Pikmin Trio: Hey, who knows?, Saki: Interesting, Starfy: Small Franchise with Decent Popularity, Dillon: See Starfy, Mach Rider: Takamaru's Number 2, Layton: If there's any third party that isn't Sonic, Pac, Mega, or Snake, it's him.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
1. That was yesterday, not a few days ago.
2. It was a Project M 2.6 stream, and it was AMAZING!!!
3. I was torn between watching it and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
4. The awesomeness of this thread brought me back.
5. I now do most of my posting in a dark and evil secret group I'm not supposed to talk about. ;)
6. :007: looks amazing in Project M now! :grin:
7. I didn't forget about you now!
8... is my favorite number, along with 88! 80, 5, 19, 91, and 10 get honorable mentions.
The MoonKnights are reunited.

#StayScheming

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Kawaiiii Uguuuu ~

Alright, it's been a long while since I've gone full ******, and I thought I'd throw out some feels I have about character chances. Of course, I'm doing it tier style. Before I jump into newcomers, let me start with vets.

Everyone from Brawl will return without a doubt, besides these characters:

Possibly Being cut From Brawl
Ike, Wolf, Sonic, Snake, Toon Link, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer
Now, I don't believe all of these characters will be cut. Heck, the only one I'm dead sure on is Snake. But I will say Lucario, and Toon Link are good candidates for cuts. Sonic would be in that group if it wasn't for the fact that Sakurai has already mentioned his sheer popularity once more. Next would be Sonic and Pokemon Trainer. Then least concern would be Wolf, and Ike.

Now, Newcomer Tiers:

Best Chances
Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chrom Pac-Man, Miis, Little Mac
The first three pretty much go without saying IMO. They each have a strong quality going for them. Mewtwo being who he is, the publicity he's recently gotten, Sakurai's comments, his position as an old vet and as popular as he is. Dixie's a once planned character, and a decently popular choice. Chrom is an international character from FE, who's in the latest FE title, and is generally well received (despite what Smashboards would like you to believe). The last three, well, you know.
Decent Chances
Roy, King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Shulk, Takamaru
The first two would be up in the "Best Chances" group if it wasn't for their Franchise counterparts taking precedence IMO. Ridley's here for being a small scale Mewtwo. Palutena, for being a popular choice, Sakurai's baby, and showing up in SSE/Brawl. Shulk kind of beats out all his competition, with Miis/Little Mac being the acceptions in terms of small franchise character. He's pretty popular for how old he is, and seems to be the new "IT BOY" from Nintendo's new star subsidary. Takamaru fits the role of "Retro revived" pretty well, and has a recognizably sized fanbase in both Japan and America.

50/50 Shot
Doctor Mario, Krystal, Bowser Junior, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Lucina, Isaac, Toon Zelda / Partner
Doc and Toon Link / Partner are like Dixie, but just on a smaller scale. They have an alright sized fanbase, but also seem to be filler material, unlike Dixie. Krystal, Junior, Isaac, Goroh, and BShadow is the all around "Got Everything, just it's up to Sakurai to say yes". Lucina seems to be like the former, just, she has Chrom and Roy in her way.
Small Chance, but still worth mentioning
Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, WarioWare Employee, Ghirahim, Tingle, Bandana Dee, Zoroark, Genesect, Other 6th Gen, Dark Samus, Medusa, Masked Man / Claus, Lyn, Pikmin Trio, Starfy, Dillon, Mach Rider, Layton
Instead of saying what these character's DON'T have, I'll throw out their best traits. Toad: Seniority, Iconic Paper Mario: Decently Popular Waluigi: Decently Popular, WarioWare Employee: Interesting / Wario's alone as of right now Ghirahim: Interesting, Popular enough, Personality Tingle: Interesting Zelda's Number 4 Bandana Dee: Interesting, Kirby's Number 4, Zoroark: Interesting, Most Popular Pokemon Choice Behind Mewtwo, Genesect: Mewtwo's Rival, 6th Gen: Hey, it's 6th Gen, Dark Samus: Not Big, Clone Material. Medusa: Big Villain, Decently Popular, Masked Man / Claus: Next in Line for Mother, Personality Lyn: Decently Popular, Interesting. Pikmin Trio: Hey, who knows?, Starfy: Small Franchise with Decent Popularity, Dillon: See Starfy, Mach Rider: Takamaru's Number 2, Layton: If there's any third party that isn't Sonic, Pac, Mega, or Snake, it's him.
K. Rool may be a signature DK character (and technically Mario character) but he hasn't been in any games lately. Sakurai would likely only include him for big fans of DK. Given the popularity of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Palutena's Brawl appearance, I'd say her she has a good chance.

However, I find it unlikely that they would give Kid Icarus another rep without giving a second rep to another series that has been in more Smash games. (namely Metroid, and F-Zero) Ridley has made an appearance in every Smash game so far, never as a fighter. Because of his popularity, I'd say he has a decent chance as well. But if at least one of the series that has appeared in every Smash with only 1 rep so far doesn't get another one, then I doubt that Kid Icarus will get another one.

Pokemon Trainer might still get in, but likely with different Pokemon.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
However, I find it unlikely that they would give Kid Icarus another rep without giving a second rep to another series that has been in more Smash games. (namely Metroid, and F-Zero)
Zero Suit Samus. And Yoshi and F-Zero are the only series of the original 10 to not have a second rep yet I think

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yep yep yep!

Have anything that could support you as triple-awesome?

... I can put one leg behind my head while standing on the other? No, that one's too similar to the elbow licking...

... uhm. I make horrible abominations in photoshop, that's, uh... that's pretty special.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
K. Rool may be a signature DK character (and technically Mario character) but he hasn't been in any games lately. Sakurai would likely only include him for big fans of DK. Given the popularity of Kid Icarus: Uprising and Palutena's Brawl appearance, I'd said her she has a good chance.

Pokemon Trainer might still get in, but likely with different Pokemon.
I think King K. Rool is more likely than Dixie, despite not showing up in any recent games. Movesetwise King K. Rool brings a lot more to the table than Dixie, and moveset variety is what Sakurai is looking for in this next Smash.
The only thing I like just as much as DK's fluffy fur is King K. Rool's scales. :awesome:

Pokemon Trainer may be reworked to be playable on the 3DS but i doubt the Pokemon Selection isn't going anywhere. Charizard was shown in that twitter post a while back.

Everything else I agree with though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Zero Suit Samus. And Yoshi and F-Zero are the only series of the original 10 to not have a second rep yet I think
Technically she's the same character, just without her suit.

She may have a completely different moveset and looks nothing like her Power Suit, but it's not a true second rep. You can't count one character with two seperate forms as two reps.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
... I can put one leg behind my head while standing on the other? No, that one's too similar to the elbow licking...

... uhm. I make horrible abominations in photoshop, that's, uh... that's pretty special.
I'll give you 3 stars for the Little Ridley one. 2 more and you'll be triple-awesome.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
that's rather disrespectful to ZSS, she did well in differentiating herself from her exo suit unlike a certain Toon Link i know that got his own slot.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Sakurai introduced her as a separate character and like you said she has a completely different look and moveset. Plus if certain users here get their way, she'll have a separate slot too.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
that's rather disrespectful to ZSS, she did well in differentiating herself from her exo suit unlike a certain Toon Link i know that got his own slot.
Toon Link is a totally seperate character though. Not just by moveset and appearance, but by the character itself. Unlike ZSS Toon Link is not the same character as TP Link, rather a counterpart from an alternate reality. I digress though, I'm starting to talk about the Zelda timeline.

ZSS may have done a better job differing from her counterpart, but at least TL is not the same character.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Sakurai introduced her as a separate character and like you said she has a completely different look and moveset. Plus if certain users here get their way, she'll have a separate slot too.
I would prefer an Zelda/Shiek approach where they share the same slot and you choose between the 2. Also it is a lot more player friendly than pressing Z before entering character select to access her
Personally, I don't think Toon Link was the best idea as I don't see why we need 2 Links. Hopefully Smash 4 will prove differently.
If Toon Link's moves-set was vastly different from Links, I would be fine with him. But as of now I see no point in 2 Links....or 2 of any character that *cough*Dr. Mario*cough*

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
mmm hmm... ahh, but Young link and Link ARE the exact same person! (and Dr. Mario to Mario!)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I would prefer an Zelda/Shiek approach where they share the same slot and you choose between the 2. Also it is a lot more player friendly than pressing Z before entering character select to access her
That would be better, but how would they switch between ZSS and her Varia Suit in-game?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
mmm hmm... ahh, but Young link and Link ARE the exact same person! (and Dr. Mario to Mario!)
Dr. Mario was actually stated to be a different person. Apparently you missed an interview with Miyamoto that we discussed on this thread a few days ago.

Toon Link still has no connection to OC or TP Link, other than having the same role as Hyrule's savior.

I don't see how that is supposed to support your argument.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I main ZZS and let me tell you it is a hassle to hold a button to choose the character behind the character that way.

i just wish there was a button on the character selection screen that lets you choose sub characters! like choosing ivysaur by clicking his image... but better!

EDIT: forget about dr mario then... young link is link in melee.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Dr. Mario was actually stated to be a different person. Apparently you missed an interview with Miyamoto that we discussed on this thread a few days ago.
There is nothing that flat out says they are 2 different characters. That interview is open to interpretation, me and a couple other people didn't view it as such. But it can go either way.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@moon
That way would be equally effective but people would still try to argue it counts as one rep.

Didn't the interview just say something along the lines of becoming a doctor isn't something you'd expect Mario to do? Hardly conclusive.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
EDIT: forget about dr mario then... young link is link in melee.
Again, how does that support your argument? Young Link may have got a slot, but he isn't a second rep. Nor is ZSS. Toon Link, being a different character, is another rep.

And Pichu would be considered a second rep, as it and Pikachu members of a species.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
She might as well be a separate slot from Power Suit Samus. IMO, the playstyles of the two didn't really sync and their final smashes resulted in forced switching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom