• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not quite. The game was supposed to come out in Christmas 2007 originally, but it was delayed a few times.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Aw, all that talk about the Dojo and everything make's me want to see what Sakurai has up his sleeve with Smash this E3 all the more. June really can't come soon enough. At least we're past January now. ^^

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I hope that at E3 they show us the great evolution of Nintendo characters up until today's brave new HD world: Mario's clothes become more realistic, Pikachu has better shading and a slight hint of fur-fuzz on him, Link looks awesome all around... and Kirby, as before, still looks basically the same as he did on the N64, since that's how he rolls.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hope that at E3 they show us the great evolution of Nintendo characters up until today's brave new HD world: Mario's clothes become more realistic, Pikachu has better shading and a slight hint of fur-fuzz on him, Link looks awesome all around... and Kirby, as before, still looks basically the same as he did on the N64, since that's how he rolls.
...and then after they show them in their most realistic way, they then change again into a cartoony art style that causes people to complain the game isn't in HD, even though the game has better graphics than other games

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
...and then after they show them in their most realistic way, they then change again into a cartoony art style that causes people to complain the game isn't in HD, even though the game has better graphics than other games
:laugh: So true, so true. I personally feel that's what a lot of people gave Windwaker so much grief over (Not counting the Triforce hunt). Same with games like Borderlands, or any game that used Cel Shaded graphics, even though the game really does look good, people complain because the game doesn't look "realistic" enough. The way I see it, I don't think that games should attempt at looking as realistic as possible, only because the expectations for future games only grows exponentially higher, and if anything falls short of the people's expectations, then the game gets unneeded and unwarranted grief.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose that's may be the reason they made Wind Waker HD look a little more detailed (Or closer to a clay-like art style) than it originally was... but now it get's grief for NOT looking cartoony enough. Poor Nintendo just can't ever win with this game can they...? ^^;

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
It doesn't seem so...it really doesn't. They won in my book, because the game was pretty dang fun, and simply enough, I think the cartoony look actually fits the Zelda games. (Haters gonna hate, ^_^) I mean, look at all of the old school Zelda games: They all looked cartoony. Of course, those were the graphical limitations of the times, but even Ocarina of Time had its cartoon elements, and that along with Majora's Mask were the games directly before Windwaker. So...why exactly were people upset with the cel shaded graphics? Because they weren't realistic enough? Please, just give me a break. At least Nintendo did give people Twilight Princess, which was pretty dang good looking anyway. I'm curious to see what kind of art style they plan on using for the next Zelda game they're going to release.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't think that it's so much the cel shading that bothered me (and I assume a lot of people) as it was the character designs. There are a ton of awesome looking cel-shaded games such as Rogue Galaxy, Tales of Vesperia, and the anime fighting games such as Naruto and Dragonball. Something about the huge heads, cat eyes, and tiny legs just always bothered me and kept me from really getting into that game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It doesn't seem so...it really doesn't. They won in my book, because the game was pretty dang fun, and simply enough, I think the cartoony look actually fits the Zelda games. (Haters gonna hate, ^_^) I mean, look at all of the old school Zelda games: They all looked cartoony. Of course, those were the graphical limitations of the times, but even Ocarina of Time had its cartoon elements, and that along with Majora's Mask were the games directly before Windwaker. So...why exactly were people upset with the cel shaded graphics? Because they weren't realistic enough? Please, just give me a break. At least Nintendo did give people Twilight Princess, which was pretty dang good looking anyway. I'm curious to see what kind of art style they plan on using for the next Zelda game they're going to release.
I don't think it was the graphical limitation that set A Link to the Past back I believe. I mean there were game's such as the Donkey Kong Country game's that looked quite detailed and all (during their times of course) on the SNES. I believe Nintendo just willingly chose to go for a cartoony look with A Link to the Past. Unless they used the FX chip or mode seven or whatever for those games...

As for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I never associated them with realism anyway's. They always looked more anime/manga-ish to me anyway's. Especially the character model's. Especially with Ocarina of Time 3D now too. But that's just me I suppose... :/

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
Hmmm...that's a good point. I hadn't thought about DKC and the games like it, but it was Rare that took the graphics as far as they did, utilizing SGI (Silicon Graphics) to make the game look 3D. In any case, you might be right about Link to the Past, could have just been Nintendo's idea to make it look cartoony. And for OoT and Majora's Mask, I see your point, but also, because the game looked more "realistic" than its predecessors, people wanted more and more.

The art style of Windwaker and it's sequels is unique, and I thought it was pretty neat. It's a shame that people didn't like that style, but it's their call I suppose. It's one of those risks that they decided to take, and it split the fan base, which is unfortunate.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmmm...that's a good point. I hadn't thought about DKC and the games like it, but it was Rare that took the graphics as far as they did, utilizing SGI (Silicon Graphics) to make the game look 3D. In any case, you might be right about Link to the Past, could have just been Nintendo's idea to make it look cartoony. And for OoT and Majora's Mask, I see your point, but also, because the game looked more "realistic" than its predecessors, so people wanted more and more.

The art style of Windwaker and it's sequels is unique, and I thought it was pretty neat. It's a shame that people didn't like that style, but it's their call I suppose. It's one of those risks that they decided to take, and it split the fan base, which is unfortunate.
Well I did put up the DKC series as an example, there are more games that tried to push the SNES graphical power's to the higher limit's. I do believe Nintendo simply chose for the art direction of A Link to the Past because they felt that it was the most suited for that game. Like how they usually do it with pretty much every other Zelda game nowadays.

Well the only part's that looked "realistic" to me in Ocarina of Time where those still image's where you can see that Link or any other character look's very... out of place in it. Such as the Temple of Time's courtyard, castle town etc And I suppose the Shadow Temple too what with realistic looking skeletons and all (but two dimensional...). In the rest of the area's it gave more of an anime/manga feel to me for both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. And that feel was only further reinforced in me with Ocarina of Time 3D to be honest. Then again, it may just be the characters and NPC's that give off that vibe...

so honestly. That's how I feel with those games. I honestly think it was that space world tech demo that made people crave the most for a "realistic" Zelda since it did seem they tried to make everything look as detailed as possible in that trailer.

I honestly enjoyed the Wind Waker's art style as well. And I personally wouldn't mind seeing more of it. But yes, everybody has different preferences and taste. I do find it a shame that some people wouldn't even want to at least try the games out but yeah, I suppose it's their loss... I personally wouldn't mind seeing another anime/manga styled Zelda game like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask though. :)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they are going with the totally realistic looks like Brawl, I don't want Skyward Sword style Zelda characters

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Skyward Sword character's since I personally enjoyed Skyward Sword and I like the design's of Link and Zelda and thus would love to play as them in smash. (And plus if Toon Link end's up getting removed after all, then I'm more than happy to carry on kicking butt as Skyloft Link).

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Assuming all Zelda characters from Brawl return...
Agreed, I would love to have Skyward Sword Link and Zelda. I think that Ganondorf will be heavily designed off of Demise and his Wind Waker/Twilight Princess look, resulting in both Ganondorf and Link being lighter (weight). Sheik needs to have lighter colors to fit in with Link and Zelda, and Toon Link is fine, so long as he is like his HD WW self. (Cell Shaded and all)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes with Ganondorf they could either go the TP Sheik route and get an original design. Or they could opt to just use the updated Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time design's from their respective remakes. Same goes for Sheik.

Since SS Link will likely be the next Link, I can see Toon Link receiving a retexturing that closely matches SS Link's (and whatever art style smash 4 takes) like he did with TP Link in Brawl. So I think he will look like a slightly more detailed Wind Waker HD Link But not as much as Brawl Toon Link.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
That sounds about right, but I'm almost certain that Ganondorf will have a more Twilight Princess-ish look, rather than Ocarina of Time. Of course, Wind Waker Ganon and Demise will very likely influence Ganondorf in Smash 4.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I can imagine that he may still look somewhat like he did in Twilight Princess only with a hint of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword put in the mix in order for him to still fit in well with the rest of the Zelda cast.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Perhaps this is the wrong way to look at it, but for Ganondorf's new Skyward Sword-inspired design, if that's the direction the LoZ cast does go, I think it would only make sense that he looks younger. Skyward Sword is after all the earliest game in the chronology.

So a design more in-line with OoT would make sense. Goodness, what if he wasn't balding this time.

D

Deleted member

I suppose they'll use Skyward Sword's style. They apparently found it 'perfect'.

:phone:

I certainly hope not. I didn't take too much liking to it. It wasn't as timeless as the WW style that gave you a lighthearted feel, nor was it dark and brooding like in OoT or MM. The style didn't have a particular flow that meshed with the game.

I'd personally like to go back to the LttP, Link's Awakening style if possible.

Also, did you know Zelda 1 was supposed to have Time Travel. It was supposed to take place in both a fantasy medieval land, and in a futuristic landscape, and the player was supposed to travel between both world, and was the "link" between them. Hence our hero's name.

Source: DYK Gaming.

Perhaps this is the wrong way to look at it, but for Ganondorf's new Skyward Sword-inspired design, if that's the direction the LoZ cast does go, I think it would only make sense that he looks younger. Skyward Sword is after all the earliest game in the chronology.

So a design more in-line with OoT would make sense. Goodness, what if he wasn't balding this time.
Well, I suppose that's better than the TP inspired Grandpadorf. Seriously, why did they even add him to that game. It would have been much better to flesh out Zant. I mean, just look at Majora and Vaati, everyone loves them and they're far more interesting that Ganon.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I think it'd be neat if the Zelda characters have sort of a unique style, sort of somewhere between the "realistic" Twilight Princess/OOT look and the semi-cel-shaded Skyward Sword look...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose Ganondorf could look younger if he were based on SS. But I think he will probably be a mix of how he was in Wind Waker and Demise in Skyward Sword with a little bit of Twilight Princess Ganondorf as well. That could be... Interesting...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I think Nintendo's Facebook is simply having fun with their followers (and reminding them Smash 4 is in the work). After all, Iwata at Nintendo Direct said we'll get footage of the games starting at E3. Anything sooner is unlikely.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
I hope they make a bundle with SSB4 and the Wii U, because I still don't own one and it would save a lot of money.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
Kinda hoping the 3DS version is just a port version with some extra content that isn't required for Wii U version. I'm not to fond of them even making a 3DS version really. :\

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I feel like whatever the design for the Zelda characters could also be the designs for the newest Zelda game which will also be shown at E3. Though I wouldn't doubt seeing Skyward Sword elements in the game such as in stages.

vicgur

Smash Ace
I think Nintendo's Facebook is simply having fun with their followers (and reminding them Smash 4 is in the work). After all, Iwata at Nintendo Direct said we'll get footage of the games starting at E3. Anything sooner is unlikely.
Yeah, that's exactly what I think it is.

But every time I see, hear or read something about Smash Bros in official Nintendo posts my heart skips a beat. :urg:

Kinda hoping the 3DS version is just a port version with some extra content that isn't required for Wii U version. I'm not to fond of them even making a 3DS version really. :\
Prepare to be disappointed, then.
I highly doubt it's gonna be a port.

I'm also willing to bet.

Seriously, though. You guys are hating too much on the idea of a portable Smash Bros...
It could be a real breath of fresh air to the series. Stop thinking about what might go wrong! It's Sakurai, Dogammit!!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I feel like whatever the design for the Zelda characters could also be the designs for the newest Zelda game which will also be shown at E3. Though I wouldn't doubt seeing Skyward Sword elements in the game such as in stages.

Wait, when was it confirmed their going to show Zelda Wii U this E3? I thought the reason they decided to remake Wind Waker was because they still have a while to go for the new game to be anywhere near close to show anything...

I know the new 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be shown this E3 though.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Wait, when was it confirmed their going to show Zelda Wii U this E3? I thought the reason they decided to remake Wind Waker was because they still have a while to go for the new game to be anywhere near close to show anything...

I know the new 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be shown this E3 though.
Wasn't the announcement that two games were in the works including the remake for Windwaker?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wasn't the announcement that two games were in the works including the remake for Windwaker?
Yes two games are indeed currently in development for Wii U. But they also said that Wind Waker HD was meant to soothe the long wait a little and keep the Zelda fans busy until they can finally show anything since they were still in the early stages of Zelda Wii U.

I recall Iwata confirming that they will be showing the new 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros this E3. If Zelda Wii U would indeed be shown this year, wouldn't they be confirming it along these games? =/ I don't know really. They probably want to save it up for the E3 after this year's.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
One thing I hope they change is the team battle setup. Instead of the generic red team or blue team crap, why not just use "A team" or "B team" so we're not forced to pallete change our characters and just choose whatever we want? I'm sure people are smart enough to know who's with who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom