• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's about equality really.

When there are 4 humanoid girls (Samus, Peach, Zelda, Miss Fit) in total in the game out of so of a roster that's pound to be at least 30 plus.

Is Nana chopped liver to everyone?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And with that last post I'm out.

Ah. Male driven gaming forums.

Insert penis into half these comments and you'd realize who are the dumbest creatures alive.

I specifically said females with potential. Do Daisy and Birdo offer much? No. However there are plenty of females with cool moveset potential that will be overlooked simply because the video game community is male driven and they won't get in.

And a lot of these posts prove this point.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because I don't know maybe my female friends with Smash are tired of not seeing the strong females of Nintendo not get the same treatment as the strong males?

There kind of bored playing the same 3 girls since Melee. Which is why a majority of them are excited about Miss Fit.
You wanna know who most girls play as?

It's not the girls.

It's the cutesy characters like Pikachu, Kirby and Yoshi or "hot" male characters like Link, Ike and Marth.

The reason why we don't have as many female characters is because... who would we add?

Palutena, Dixie Kong and Krystal are the only ones who come to mind.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
And with that last post I'm out.

Ah. Male driven gaming forums.

Insert penis into half these comments and you'd realize who are the dumbest creatures alive.

I specifically said females with potential. Do Daisy and Birdo offer much? No. However there are plenty of females with cool moveset potential that will be overlooked simply because the video game community is male driven and they won't get in.

And a lot of these posts prove this point.
I still don't know why it matters. You're thinking too hard about it.
If females get in, they get in. But not because they're female.

It's foolish to consider gender for deciding a roster for a fighting game. It would have been fine if you simply said "characters with potential", because the way you said it you're putting weight on the fact they have to be female.

And again, gender consideration for a roster in a fighting game?
No.

"I'm a girl, yay equality, now treat us better or we'll call you a sexist" - Every feminist I know

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just used Daisy and Birdo as an example really. Yes, the likes of Lyn, Palutena, Dixie Kong and even Krystal are good. But we shouldn't just accept every female character there is just because they are female. They need to have their qualities of why they are warranted. Just like every male character really.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Only if there's a Cooking Mama kitchen stage.
Damnit, now I sort of want Cooking Mama in the game. Just have her use something from all of games like gardening supplies and kitchen utensils. Her final smash would be her shouting "Nonono, please don't shake the baby!" as she throws a time-bomb doll/toad at someone that explodes on movement.

I'm thinking too much about this.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

It's not the girls.

It's the cutesy characters like Pikachu, Kirby and Yoshi or "hot" male characters like Link, Ike and Marth.
That would also explain Pixiv in a nutshell.

That place is like a fangirl gold mine I swear to god.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

It's not the girls.

And I'm sorry man this is a cliche. They will play the cutesy characters, but most of my female friends lean towards Peach or surprisingly Samus, because hey Samus is about as kick ass as you can get as a female character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I couldn't give a **** about whether a character has a penis or a vagina. I don't care about a character's gender, as long as he/she plays fine and has good characterization.

If I was the president of a company, I certainly wouldn't care about someone's sex when hiring someone.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
And I'm sorry man this is a cliche. They will play the cutesy characters, but most of my female friends lean towards Peach or surprisingly Samus, because hey Samus is about as kick *** as you can get as a female character.
Why is Samus even surprising

I couldn't give a **** about whether a character has a penis or a vagina. I don't care about a character's gender, as long as he/she plays fine and has good characterization.

If I was the president of a company, I certainly wouldn't care about someone's sex when hiring someone.
You're a good person, my friend.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Still saying it. Still emphasizing on it. Still finding it unsurprising people forget.

Being female SHOULDN'T be looked upon as a means of adding a certain character. Nor be a factor.

Seriously guys, I think it's more of are these females great on their own right when you take away their gender and look at their qualities and what they could bring then. In short: what Frost and millions of others said.

At this rate I wish SSB would be just male-only so people wouldn't always bring a stupid and overly beaten to death argument that is "we need more females".

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm more concerned about video games in general including more females with strong, leading roles (protagonist, strong supporting character, ect) than worrying about Smash's lack of female representation. And that's where the root of the problem is.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And I'm sorry man this is a cliche. They will play the cutesy characters, but most of my female friends lean towards Peach or surprisingly Samus, because hey Samus is about as kick *** as you can get as a female character.
Every female I have personally known that I have played smash with has fallen under those two categorizes. I'm basing it off of life experience, not cliche. Remember, stereotypes come from somewhere.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Demanding equal quantity of characters based on sex is being sexist, did you know that?
Every time one uses sex as a criteria for picking someone, one is being sexist.

The roster could have 90% of female characters, I wouldn't give a **** either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Super Smash Brothers :troll:

Countdown until a feminist takes me seriously begins now. You guys focus on pixel genitalia too much.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
This is becoming a feminism thread and I'm not even caring,is it crazy that the old thread with thousands of pages was still more on topic than this one?

We were once at a point to where we were discussing personality tests for about 5 pages around 300 pages ago. This is more on topic than that, at least.

I was an ESTJ. Yaaay~

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Okay okay okay okay okay okay okay everyone, stop right there.

Listen.

I refuse to acknowledge any standard outside of a character's merit.

Note, I am not somehow suggesting that males inherently have more merit, never once would I.
There shall be no exception. None. There can be no compromise.

THERE IS NO GENDER BIAS IN CHARACTER MERIT. NONE.

And if anyone thinks they should have more female characters on the basis of so called equality, it is merely their hypocrisy. As Frostwraith has pointed out.

If I am to judge a character's merit, it will be on other things. Enough social justice cowship.

If anyone insinuates that I am not judging on merit otherwise there would be more girls, well, they obviously think girls are inherently better. What a horrible double standard. As has been pointed out.

Some of you may not have noticed, but most of the characters I support are female, I just realized this, I'd also like to say that there are VERY many strong female representatives possible this generation.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why is Samus even surprising
Because when you boil girls down to their stereotypical cliches like most male gamers do. You don't think of them playing Samus.

Samus who is the further most thing from a cutesy female character.

She's covered head to toe in strong armor. She's a warrior bounty hunter who is rarely sexualized by Nintendo and when she is sexualized it's by the perverted fanbase. Even in her Zero Suit she's showing hardly any skin.

And THIS is what girls want more of in video games.

Hell, and to talk about the sexualized female characters. If they have to be, most of my female friends prefer them to be in control of their sexuality and how that is protrayed which is why they love Bayonetta because she is a female character who is very much in control of the sexualization of her body.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey guys can we pause a bit and appreciate Deadpool in Mahvel

Seriously we need a character who downright destroys the fourth wall ingame.

Because this is the fourth game in the series, right?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey guys can we pause a bit and appreciate Deadpool in Mahvel

Seriously we need a character who breaks the fourth wall.

Because this is the fourth game in the series, right?
If every game had four walls (i.e. a fourth wall to break), then this game would have the 16th wall.

Can Deadpool even challenge the 16th wall?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This is becoming a feminism thread and I'm not even caring,is it crazy that the old thread with thousands of pages was still more on topic than this one?
Out of all of the "Next Super Smash Bros" threads I've been a part of, this one is truly the least consistent (to put it mildly). If NeoGAF can have a single Super Smash Bros thread that manages to stay on topic, for the most part; there is little excuse for this thread.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, we could have some Pit codec calls for fourth wall breaking humor. Snake's codecs also had some of this.

Having a character to literally use the interface would be funny, but the question is: who would do that?

Also, some random trivia: Project X Zone's playable character roster has an equal quantity of male and female characters.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Doesn't Snake break the fouth wall? I think it's during Taunt conversations.

Ok, yeah, he does. I forgot lol. But yeah, I'd love to see some more fourth wall breaking... it's always hilarious.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Because when you boil girls down to their stereotypical cliches like most male gamers do. You don't think of them playing Samus.

Samus who is the further most thing from a cutesy female character.

She's covered head to toe in strong armor. She's a warrior bounty hunter who is rarely sexualized by Nintendo and when she is sexualized it's by the perverted fanbase. Even in her Zero Suit she's showing hardly any skin.

And THIS is what girls want more of in video games.

Hell, and to talk about the sexualized female characters. If they have to be, most of my female friends prefer them to be in control of their sexuality and how that is protrayed which is why they love Bayonetta because she is a female character who is very much in control of the sexualization of her body.
You know, just throwing this out there, but if the female character being strong and not cutesy was so vital, why do we have Princess Peach in Smash?

Not every guy is bursting with testosterone. We've got some meek cowards too. (See Luigi and Lucas) I don't think EVERY chick has to be strong either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
We need an incredibly whimsical person on the roster then.
If I catch any character breaking the fourth wall in games it usually makes me laugh to the point of tears, and I don't know why.

Deadpool's ultimate in UMvC3 made me really happy.

You know, just throwing this out there, but if the female character being strong an not cutesy was so vital, why do we have Princess Peach in Smash?

Not every guy is bursting with testosterone. We've got some meek cowards too. (See Luigi and Lucas) I don't think EVERY chick has to be strong either.
Are you saying Luigi isn't the most manly person alive?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, we could have some Pit codec calls for fourth wall breaking humor. Snake's codecs also had some of this.

Having a character to literally use the interface would be funny, but the question is: who would do that?

Also, some random trivia: Project X Zone's playable character roster has an equal quantity of male and female characters.

Odd.

I dunno I wish we could have someone like that. Pit would be closest, but none would match what Deadpool does.

Hey, I KNOW I KNOW

/don'ttakemeseriouslyhere/

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Odd.

I dunno I wish we could have someone like that. Pit would be closest, but none would match what Deadpool does.

Hey, I KNOW I KNOW

If Weegee talked more, I'd love to see him be the Deadpool of Smash 4.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And what's the point of newcomers cutting veterans,it's a loss with no gain.
It is a loss with no gain? I must disagree with the statement. Sure, you lost a veteran but you also gained a newcomer. We lost 5 characters but we gained 18 newcomers in Brawl.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know, just throwing this out there, but if the female character being strong an not cutesy was so vital, why do we have Princess Peach in Smash?

Oh absolutely not. That was just the example I used. I mean Peach is dangerously strong in terms of fighting and sports but in her games she's pretty much getting kidnapped 24/7/365 (If that's even how the Mario world revolves around it's sun. lol)

I just think it'd be nicer to see some more women is all. I'll still play it. My friends will still play it. It'd just be nice to see more females get in consideration and ones people don't think about that are still viable

Because if Lucas and the FE guys (pre-Melee) can get into Smash, then so can Nintendo characters the likes of Anna, Ashley, Lyn, etc.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It is a loss with no gain? I must disagree with the statement. Sure, you lost a veteran but you also gained a newcomer. We lost 5 characters but we gained 18 newcomers in Brawl.
Well, what gain is there in replacing Marth with Lucina and replacing Sheik with Impa?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh absolutely not. That was just the example I used. I mean Peach is dangerously strong in terms of fighting and sports but in her games she's pretty much getting kidnapped 24/7/365 (If that's even how the Mario world revolves around it's sun. lol)

I just think it'd be nicer to see some more women is all. I'll still play it. My friends will still play it. It'd just be nice to see more females get in consideration and ones people don't think about that are still viable

Because if Lucas and the FE guys (pre-Melee) can get into Smash, then so can Nintendo characters the likes of Anna, Ashley, Lyn, etc.

Indeed, they can. But the thing more is about what they'll bring in the table. Lyn was seemingly shafted for Ike instead for reasons.

In means of being female though, shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom