• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
You mean finishing off the Mario Roster of major heroes and villains? We're only talking about Toad and Bowser Jr. Boom, that's the extent of the Mario roster. And even then, Jr. came far later. Toad's been there since the first game. I don't see a reason not to add him. We lost one Mario character in Brawl and gained a related-but-not-Mario character in Wario.
Speaking of Wario.. Does anyone see anyone from his various games getting in somehow?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of Wario.. Does anyone see anyone from his various games getting in somehow?

Captain Syrup and Ashley are the ones I see having a chance the most. Maybe Kat and Ana.(they already got an ideal Final Smash) Now that the roster won't be as huge as we hoped, I don't see any franchise but DK getting a new character outside of someone around Mario/Yoshi/Wario.(as in we might get one at best among those 3 franchises)

I could see Metroid, Kid Icarus, Pokemon, and maybe Zelda getting some more characters, though.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Except Main is still an incorrect terminology now that every game happens. We call them platformers, since even games like Galaxy 2 aren't main games according to Word of God. It's a useless term to throw around. Just call them by the genre.

And again, the genre doesn't matter because not everybody even likes the Platformers. Or the Parties. And so on. Most of the Non-Platformers are extremely popular too.

And yeah, Geno is popular. To a lot of people besides a particular group. He's surprisingly well known, even more than he used to be, especially thanks to Super Mario RPG coming out on the VC.

And I can certainly compare the quality of any game to another regardless of genre in the Mario series. Since the key point is how well the gameplay is overall. I didn't find any of the Galaxy games to have super outstanding gameplay. Same with the Golf and Tennis games. I'd put them on the same level of good overall.

Either way, Toad is still the last main hero to not be playable in Smash, has tons of moveset capabilities, and would be an excellent addition. I used to make that same argument you did. But then I learned it was based upon speculation and not any hard facts. And the facts state that Toad is a main character in a whole lot of games. Now, this would make sense if we were talking about Waluigi, who's an important villain in one game, and a mediocre villain in another, and often a random guy in the rest. Then again, he does get quite a lot of love by Nintendo and Fans.

Moving onto more interesting conversation;

I want to see Bowser's Castle as is. Two different versions for each one. Something like the battleships for the 3DS version, and perhaps something more like Mario 64/Mario Kart 64 for the Wii U version. Also, some kind of Dr. Mario stage.
I didn't say they were the "main games according to Word of God", I said that they're widely accepted as the main games by a vast majority of the gaming community, and that if I were to ask a gamer who is familiar with the Mario franchise what the main Mario games are, he/she would most likely refer to SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, etc.

Genre does matter, because different genres are different, and Mario games in different genres are different games. Also, I never mentioned what people "like" or "don't like", that's just you again, not knowing how to properly respond to a statement and throwing around nonsensical crap. I don't care if people like Mario Golf and don't like Super Mario 64; that's entirely irrelevant.

And no, Geno isn't popular. It's popular to very devoted Nintendo fans (a very particular group of people); there are a lot of people who play SSB aren't exactly very devoted Nintendo fans.

The gameplay? Yea, the gameplay is the very reason you can't make logical comparisons with two games of different genres. Their gameplay and design are entirely different and achieve different things.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't say they were the "main games according to Word of God", I said that they're widely accepted as the main games by a vast majority of the gaming community, and that if I were to ask a gamer who is familiar with the Mario franchise what the main Mario games are, he/she would most likely refer to SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, etc.

Genre does matter, because different genres are different, and Mario games in different genres are different games. Also, I never mentioned what people "like" or "don't like", that's just you again, not knowing how to properly respond to a statement and throwing around nonsensical crap. I don't care if people like Mario Golf and don't like Super Mario 64; that's entirely irrelevant.

And no, Geno isn't popular. It's popular to very devoted Nintendo fans (a very particular group of people); there are a lot of people who play SSB aren't exactly very devoted Nintendo fans.

The gameplay? Yea, the gameplay is the very reason you can't make logical comparisons with two games of different genres. Their gameplay and design are entirely different and achieve different things.
He still makes it relatively high on polls from mixed sites

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
He still makes it relatively high on polls from mixed sites
Sites that devoted gamers go to. Yea, obviously everyone knows who Geno is on the, where we all take interest in videogames, but I'm talking about people who aren't as interested in videogames.

You have to keep in mind that SSB has a huge casual audience as well, an audience that has no idea who Geno is.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Alright, this might sound noble or whatever, but I'm more pissed than anything else.

Likelihood is not a valid argument to support a character, nor is it a valid reason to disregard a character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sites that devoted gamers go to. Yea, obviously everyone knows who Geno is on the, where we all take interest in videogames, but I'm talking about people who aren't as interested in videogames.

You have to keep in mind that SSB has a huge casual audience as well, an audience that has no idea who Geno is.
Who cares what those people think?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Did anyone bother listening to that new Super Smash Bros podcast Japan Time? I learned something new: Falco and Fox's Final Smash files are the same, but Wolf's is not. That red paint.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Did anyone bother listening to that new Super Smash Bros podcast Japan Time? I learned something new: Falco and Fox's Final Smash files are the same, but Wolf's is not. That red paint.
Little did we know.. Adeline was hired by Star Wolf after the events of Kirby 64.

D

Deleted member

I'd say Jimmy T., but Wii Fit Trainer kind of stole his mojo (even if it's exercise poses rather than dance poses).
Ashley seems kind of like a darkhorse, but even then I have my doubt.
Mona earned her place, but kind of iffy on her.

Kind of thinking Captain Syrup has the best shot; she has been revived after Brawl (even if it's just a NPC role) and has potential to not only be a recurring Wario villain again (even in WarioWare if you think about it; perhaps the WarioWare company has to deal with software piracy from her?) but also for an interesting set of moves based around her pirate motif.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Let me ask those who want or expect Wolf to be cut one question. If his specials were completely different, would everyone still want him gone?

bobadz

Smash Ace
Kinda off topic but, I don't know who's worse the Other M detractors, or the Other M defenders

The detractors sound like elitests who think if you like any aspect of other m your opinion is wrong.

The defenders, think everyone who hates this game is an angry feminist.

For example
I also qthink the west took Other M WORSE than it actually should have been taken because of being brainwashed by new-aged feminism. And I'm talking about the late 1900s version, there was NOTHING but evil intent behind that movement and I seriously urge people to look it up.[\QUOTE]

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nintendo, who wants their videogame to sell to as many people as possible cares.
There are only a handful of characters in Smash that most people actually know who they are. Ask most people who Marth, Ike, Ness, Capt. Falcon, etc. are. They're going to think of Smash Bros., not the games they actually came from. If anything, Smash Bros. introduces people to the the games the characters are from when it comes to the unfamiliar.

Hell, Wii Fit Trainer is making me seriously consider getting Wii Fit U.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
So EVERYTHING just comes down to money
I hate to break this to you, but Nintendo's kind of a company. Yea, money kind of is a huge factor to their decisions, a much larger factor than what a few select fans want. I'm not saying they don't care about fans at all, but money is a much greater priority. Why do you think games like New Super Mario Bros Wii U come out instead of (what fans want) the next F-Zero or Starfox?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Let me ask those who want or expect Wolf to be cut one question. If his specials were completely different, would everyone still want him gone?

I'd rather lose Falco, replace him with Krystal, and keep Wolf as he's the villain rep of the series, but yeah maybe slightly rework him a bit.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@ bobadz's quoted bit: What Other M did to Samus was bad, and people should feel bad.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
There are only a handful of characters in Smash that most people actually know who they are. Ask most people who Marth, Ike, Ness, Capt. Falcon, etc. are. They're going to think of Smash Bros., not the games they actually came from. If anything, Smash Bros. introduces people to the the games the characters are from when it comes to the unfamiliar.

Hell, Wii Fit Trainer is making me seriously consider getting Wii Fit U.
Yea, but those characters introduced them to those franchises. Geno wouldn't really introduce them to much, other than one game. It's not very commercially viable. Also, Marth and Ike are a part of Fire Emblem which is huge in Japan; there's like around 13 games in the franchise (maybe more).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Marth and Ike are a part of Fire Emblem which is huge in Japan; there's like around 13 games in the franchise (maybe more).
There are 13 currently. 14 I suppose if you count the SMTxFE crossover that Atlus and Nintendo have been very tight lipped on since they announced it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think most people who want Wolf gone reach this conclusion because they've never pressed the A button in their life.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Kinda off topic but, I don't know who's worse the Other M detractors, or the Other M defenders

The detractors sound like elitests who think if you like any aspect of other m your opinion is wrong.

The defenders, think everyone who hates this game is an angry feminist.
I'm an Elitist (when it comes to Metroid) Angry Feminist who defends the game and thinks if you dislike any aspect of Other M, your opinion is probably different than mine. But as you said, I don't think this is the place to discuss this.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
There are 13 currently. 14 I suppose if you count the SMTxFE crossover that Atlus and Nintendo have been very tight lipped on since they announced it.
15 if you count the crossover and that. . . uh, that one from the satelliview thingie Nintendo did with the SNES.

Also, I never played Other M, ever since I heard its announcement I've been purposely avoiding it. Probably for the best from what I hear.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd rather lose Falco, replace him with Krystal, and keep Wolf as he's the villain rep of the series, but yeah maybe slightly rework him a bit.
Personally both should stay. I just don't understand the mindset that calls for Wolf's head because he is perceived as a clone while Falco is the biggest culprit. Wolf plays nothing like Fox and only his specials have a passing similarity to Fox and Falco. It just blows my mind.

I think most people who want Wolf gone reach this conclusion because they've never pressed the A button in their life.
They're closet Krystal fans trying to enact revenge because they perceive their princess got beat out.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'm an Elitist (when it comes to Metroid) Angry Feminist who defends the game and thinks if you dislike any aspect of Other M, your opinion is probably different than mine. But as you said, I don't think this is the place to discuss this.
Sorry, I just needed to get that out of my system.

Anyways, I'm not sure about the update today will be.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
"Kinda off topic but, I don't know who's worse the Other M detractors, or the Other M defenders

The defenders, think everyone who hates this game is an angry feminist."

On its own, I thought the game was fun and well-made, but the story was bad. Within the context of the Metroid series though, it's terrible and does everything wrong.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate to break this to you, but Nintendo's kind of a company. Yea, money kind of is a huge factor to their decisions, a much larger factor than what a few select fans want. I'm not saying they don't care about fans at all, but money is a much greater priority. Why do you think games like New Super Mario Bros Wii U come out instead of (what fans want) the next F-Zero or Starfox?
Kuma's got a point. very little of the smash roster are money making characters or even known to this general public

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And Anna has been in 13 of them, probably will be in the crossover, so 14.
She was absent in Fire Emblem: Gaiden, so technically it's 12. Also we have no idea if Anna will show up in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, it's way too soon to assume anything.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem is pretty huge, especially now with Awakening, but even then your average Nintendo gamer is not likely to be familiar with the series.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Kuma's got a point. very little of the smash roster are money making characters or even known to this general public
That's because during the development of the very first SSB, the developers didn't think it would become what it is now. Popularity wasn't a concern, and the characters from the first game have become a staple to the franchise. Also, SSB has introduced many gamers to other franchises; not a lot of people in America would care much at all about Earthbound if it weren't for Ness in SSB.

For example, when I was a kid, I remember buying Fire Emblem for the GBA because I knew who Marth and Roy were from Melee, and I thought they were cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom