• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasmine Dragon

Smash Cadet
Here's a really, really scary though. What if that list was not a leak about what characters would happen for E3, but rather what newcomers in general were in the game. I think Sakurai would certainly have hell to pay if there were only six newcomers, and that of them, only Mega Man and Little Mac were popularly requested additions.
Takamaru is pretty much guaranteed to be in the game. I'm not too worried about there being any less than around 13 newcomers.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wonder if this will be the last we will hear about Smash 4 for a while.
Except for him updating on Miiverse five days a week, and multiple sources saying we will be hearing from him soon. I think he's gonna reveal some more, soon.

Pretty much every series except Metroid, DK, Kid Icarus, and Mario already has all the characters it needs.
I don't think Sakurai gives two ****s what most people think each series "needs". He's going to add characters he think will be cool in Smash. His reasoning for the possible addition of Ridley won't be "He's the last rep to complete Metroid", it would probably be "He's a popular character among Smash fans".

Takamaru is pretty much guaranteed to be in the game.
Hardly.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's a really, really scary though. What if that list was not a leak about what characters would happen for E3, but rather what newcomers in general were in the game. I think Sakurai would certainly have hell to pay if there were only six newcomers, and that of them, only Mega Man and Little Mac were popularly requested additions.
Don't be a Negative Nancy. I highly doubt we are getting ONLY SIX newcomers.

pikaknight

Smash Cadet
dude.... did you see her final smash. i hate her so much that im gunna main her! lol
i wonder if MK will be bumped down on the tier list for smash 4 if he returns

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There is absolutely no way in hell we're getting only six newcomers. Ten newcomers, minimum. Sakurai knows that prior games in the series have set a precedent for roster increases and that fans will be extremely disappointed if he does not deliver on their expectations.

Plus, do you really think that Sakurai would have Little Mac and Villager as the only reps from actual "core" Nintendo games? C'mon. Give the man some credit; he's earned it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Don't be a Negative Nancy. I highly doubt we are getting ONLY SIX newcomers.

That's asinine to think, especially because Sakurai just made us all pee our pants be outright saying "Im tryna add as many characters as I can!!!"

I think we'll have AT LEAST 12 newcomers. I'm thinking it's very much a real possibliity our roster is going to land in the 50's area.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't think Sakurai trolls. I just don't think he is always in touch with the Smash fanbase just like Miyamoto isn't always in touch with Mario/Zelda fanbase. Either that, or he just says comments to make us speculate. It seems like he was really messing with the IGN guy about Pac-man in the article.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I do think Sakurai has proven himself to be pretty in touch with the fanbase in general, as even his WTF picks tend to become extremely well-received (just look at Miss Fit!)

We'll see if he's still as plugged in, but given how much mail the man gets and reads I can't imagine that he is anything but keenly aware of what fans want.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Which is kind of my point. Toad's basically just filler for additional multiplayer slots in those games, as evidenced by one Toad getting the boot for Peach. Having a playable role helps, certainly, but I don't think it guarantees him an inclusion in SSB4 like many others seem to believe.
Honestly having two toads was never a good idea. An extra toad was filler. But having one toad is not. Especially considering that when they had the option of giving each character his/her own properties, they decided to keep at least one Toad. He could have been booted for someone like Wario, who already appeared once (Super Mario 64 DS).

And I don't think anyone said Toad is a guarentee (except Arcadenik perhaps). He's no shoe-in, but his chances are high.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
And I don't think anyone Toad is a guarentee (except Arcadenik perhaps). He's no shoe-in, but his chances are high.
I wouldn't even say that. I think he's got OK chances at best, personally. If we get Mii on top of Villager I think that hurts his chances even further, as Sakurai will want variety in newcomers and we'd already have two small, cutesy blobs.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There's also the fact that when it comes to first and second party games, Nintendo is EXTREMELY strict on quality control. If it doesn't live up to their standards and/or they don't think it'll sell well enough, they'll keep it in development until they think it is.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There's also the fact that when it comes to first and second party games, Nintendo is EXTREMELY strict on quality control. If it doesn't live up to their standards and/or they don't think it'll sell well enough, they'll keep it in development until they think it is.
And thank god for that. I wish other game devs stuck to that standard.

D

Deleted member

I really REALLY want to not believe the rumor, but what are the chances that ANYONE could have fathomed Wii Fit Trainer even down to her name (Unless she is officially named Wii Fit Trainer in Wii Fit). There's just no way that anyone could just get a lucky guess on that without knowing beforehand. Really, our only hope is that the person who leaked it added in the 3 extra character for some reason (although this doesn't seem likely).
Anyone have any links to the supposed leaker?

I wanna see what he said and how, I think this might clear up a lot of things, I mean, it could just be a very good coincidence.

After Villager getting in, I can't see Sakurai not adding the Mii. I am not keen on them, but like Animal Crossing and Wii Fit, it has become one of Nintendo's highest selling franchises.

I am not so sure about Sonic's return. He certainly deserves to return after Sega giving that three Sonic game exclusive deal (the third exclusive Sonic game has not been shown yet), however, I think it all depends on whether Sega approaches Sakurai again. Personally, I would love to see him return.

As for the Wonderful 101, I am not so sure that game lends itself well to getting a playable character. Probably an Assist Trophy but not much else.

What if that visit to Platinum Games was simply Sakurai giving him his proposed design for Takamaru in Smash 4 since Platinum apparently has an interest in making a new Nazo no Murasame.

I just wish Sakurai would have shown at least one newcomer from a veteran Nintendo franchise for the unveil, and a non-shock Nintendo character in general.

I'd love to see Sonic come back if he's redone. Otherwise, I'm not too interested. I still think he's got a better shot than Pac-Man.

I agree on W101, though Sakurai could pull off something crazy with them, maybe... I mean, he managed to make MegaMan and the Villager work.

Also, hoping your theory is true, I'd love a NnM game by PG.

Sonic may get cut, but if it happens there will be a lot of backlash. I just wonder if Sakurai knows that or not because I know SEGA would be up for putting him back in Smash if he is wanted.
I don't think Sakurai cares much about backlash. Then again, he DID make the new game less casual than Brawl.

Except for him updating on Miiverse five days a week, and multiple sources saying we will be hearing from him soon. I think he's gonna reveal some more, soon.

I don't think Sakurai gives two ****s what most people think each series "needs". He's going to add characters he think will be cool in Smash. His reasoning for the possible addition of Ridley won't be "He's the last rep to complete Metroid", it would probably be "He's a popular character among Smash fans".

Agreed, plus he'll probably look at what Ridley can do from a gameplay standpoint as well. I'm not too worried about Ridley tbh.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm worried about Ridley because Sakurai may prefer him as a boss. Ridley was highly demanded in Brawl and that didn't get him in.

I'd be OK with Ridley staying a boss, though. I'd love to see him in, but there's no character that I need in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wouldn't even say that. I think he's got OK chances at best, personally. If we get Mii on top of Villager I think that hurts his chances even further, as Sakurai will want variety in newcomers and we'd already have two small, cutesy blobs.
We already have Jiggz, Kirby, Pikachu and now Villager. :p

Really that's not a argument.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?
Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.

Granted, this is hardly a definite confirmation, however, seeing how he responded to THAT specific question makes you think that he probably has plans on reviving an old franchise. With the introduction of Takamaru's minigame in Nintendo Land (complete with its own Smash-like icon), all signs point to Mysterious Murasame Castle being revived. I don't think they'd do this if Takamaru himself didn't get some kind of rebirth in the form of Smash.

I'm not saying that Takamaru is absolutely confirmed, but all signs point to him being included.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Agreed, plus he'll probably look at what Ridley can do from a gameplay standpoint as well. I'm not too worried about Ridley tbh.

I agree. The only thing I can see standing it Ridley's way this time around is what's standing in the way of IC's. And that's completely dependent on how large Sakurai chooses to make him. He's not Megaman / Mewtwo popular, but he is pretty popular. Definitely popular enough for Sakurai to consider. And, like you said, he could be an interesting addition from a gameplay standpoint.

I think the big things that will determine characters this time around are: Popularity, Moveset/Gameplay Potential, Sakurai's Personal opinion, Nintendo's opinion (Think FE and PKMN)

I'm not saying that Takamaru is absolutely confirmed, but all signs point to him being included.

It sounds like he may add some older characters, but that doesn't necessarily mean Takamaru. One thing Takamaru may have going against him is that he's a Japan only character.

He could very well add Balloon Fighter, or Mach Rider. Takamaru isn't the only retro choice.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
How is it not? Sakurai absolutely will want a variety of newcomers. I'm not talking about the amount of cutesy blobs in the entire roster, just the amount of cutesy blobs among the ranks of the newcomers.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Please tell me you did not just say that...

Sakurai is the same man who put in three furries with Landmasters.

D

Deleted member

We already have Jiggz, Kirby, Pikachu and now Villager. :p

Don't forget Ness and Lucas.

Granted, this is hardly a definite confirmation, however, seeing how he responded to THAT specific question makes you think that he probably has plans on reviving an old franchise. With the introduction of Takamaru's minigame in Nintendo Land (complete with its own Smash-like icon), all signs point to Legend of Murasama Castle being revived. I don't think they'd do this if Takamaru himself didn't get some kind of rebirth in the form of Smash.

I have to agree here, Mewtwo, Takamaru and Ridley are the ones I'm most confident about making it in this game.

Palutena and Shulk might be possible as well, but much less likely imo.

And, I don't think we'll be getting any lords from FE13.

Also, I'd say we're getting 12ish newcomers tops, with some cuts here and there (like 2-3 cuts).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
After the confirmation of Wii Fit Trainer, I can't see anyone being a "guaranteed" character anymore. All we can do is wait if you ask me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How is it not? Sakurai absolutely will want a variety of newcomers. I'm not talking about the amount of cutesy blobs in the entire roster, just the amount of cutesy blobs among the ranks of the newcomers.
Variety as in, what they can do aka moveset. Not what they look like. By your logic, Mario, Luigi and Wario are mustachioed plumbers, so he wouldn't want to add Luigi or Wario as they don't have variety. Oh wait.

D

Deleted member

Oh, realllllyyyyy... Then explain why Arena Ferox is a stage. :troll:
And although this does not guaranteed a lord from FE13, it certainly ups the chance.
Don't kill me.
I disagree, if anything, it lowers the chances as now the "representation" excuse is moot. Same reason we had a Hanebow stage in Brawl with no characters from the franchise as playable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pretty much. Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion has thrown all our predictions of the window.
Remember, Sakurai even admitted that he purposefully added Wii Fit Trainer because literally NO ONE suggested or predicted her on their fan rosters. In other words, he did it to troll the SSB4 speculators for arrogantly assuming that we know Sakurai's opinions.

Variety as in, what they can do aka moveset. Not what they look like. By your logic, Mario, Luigi and Wario are mustachioed plumbers, so he wouldn't want to add Luigi or Wario as they don't have variety. Oh wait.
So by his logic, Paper Mario and Waluigi are not getting in. :troll:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Once again, I am talking about their aesthetic appearance (which does extend to the moveset, as none of them will likely have a very serious moveset) as a subset of the newcomers, not of the total roster. Please cease misrepresenting my point.

We could still well get three cutesy blobs as newcomers, but I do feel that if there are already two characters who will be at least vaguely similar tonally and aesthetically among the newcomers, it hurts the chances of a third.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I feel like it's generally assumed we're gonna get a FE13 character. While I actually do think that Chrom will replace Ike, it is still totally up in the air as to what will actually happen and who we'll get. There are solid arguments for a variety of FE13 characters, and who knows what happens in Sakurai's skull. Hopefully Ike won't be cut and we can manage to increase the variety seen in the FE roster, but...

Shrug.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
I disagree, if anything, it lowers the chances as now the "representation" excuse is moot. Same reason we had a Hanebow stage in Brawl with no characters from the franchise as playable.
I never played hannenbow, but from what I seen, it's really just a simulation game, with insects.
So that's why there was no character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's Official, K. Rool passed Ridley up on my poll as "Nintendo's Most Wanted Newcomer".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom