• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, it's from his twitter. And for some reason, Zamus' head seems a little too small for her body.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Get a Japanese guy quick! We may have some news on the way(or a developer's fanart)!:grin:

Edit:Guys, I just noticed something! The time 12:30 is at the bottom! Is something going to be revealed at that time someday!?:awesome:

Edit 2:I also noticed it's stuck onto a wall with tape.:urg: It's fanart guys.

:phone:

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
It's a poster for a Smash tourney which was held in Japan today (yesterday).
They held a tourney on a 4 year old game everyone has gotten tired of and advertised it in on a poster depicting Smash veterans with Japanese text when details of an upcoming sequel are extremely scarce.

Sora is really trolling us now.:troll:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
It's an ad for a tourney at Tokyo's Institute of Technology to kick off their fall semester. This tourney was most likely run by students as part of a club; not Sora, Sakurai, Bamco or whoever made the latest poll you are all fuzzing over.

EDIT:
My Japanese blows but from what I can make out the poster reads:
"This fall, strength will gather at the Tokyo Instutute of Technology"
(Something asserted), it's Smash bros Brawl.
Smash Bros Brawl at Tokyo's Institute of Technology
(Can't recognize some of those compound kanji pairs. The kanji for strong and walk are there tho)
Oct 7th (Sunday) Hall 933 12:30PM. Be on time!

Rules (Bottom left hand corner)
3 stocks with timer
Items turned off
Two other things.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They held a tourney on a 4 year old game everyone has gotten tired of and advertised it in on a poster depicting Smash veterans with Japanese text when details of an upcoming sequel are extremely scarce.

Sora is really trolling us now.:troll:

Tell that to Super Turbo which is still going on before you were probably even born.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
^ This.
It annoys me that people say Brawl is "dying" when it clearly isn't.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
^ This.
It annoys me that people say Brawl is "dying" when it clearly isn't.
I'm in to the smash competitive scene, definitely. It's a lot of fun and tournaments are still getting heaps of people. Take Apex, for example, which is only getting bigger every single year...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Although some of you guys might not care considering you guys play Smash competitively, I had a great idea about the use of the GamePad for the Wii U version of the game's online multiplayer. Instead of using the touchscreen to use shortcut commands for movesets, wouldn't it be cool to use the controller as a way to message and voice and video chat (which is all basically Miiverse) with one another while fighting in a match? Matches don't really tend to be that hectic if it's a friendly, so maybe inputting a message or two would sort of help. Plus, this could expand on the so-called "comment" section from Brawl and also Star Fox 64 3D's camera.

Sometimes I wish the developers could take advantage of the GamePad like that, but the developers for Tag Tournament 2 developers didn't really do so for the controller and just used shortcut commands. What do you guys think? o.o

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Although some of you guys might not care considering you guys play Smash competitively, I had a great idea about the use of the GamePad for the Wii U version of the game's online multiplayer. Instead of using the touchscreen to use shortcut commands for movesets, wouldn't it be cool to use the controller as a way to message and voice and video chat (which is all basically Miiverse) with one another while fighting in a match? Matches don't really tend to be that hectic if it's a friendly, so maybe inputting a message or two would sort of help. Plus, this could expand on the so-called "comment" section from Brawl and also Star Fox 64 3D's camera.

Sometimes I wish the developers could take advantage of the GamePad like that, but the developers for Tag Tournament 2 developers didn't really do so for the controller and just used shortcut commands. What do you guys think? o.o
Well I don't think the GamePad will be used in competitive play if it's doing the same job as on SMB. U , meaning something for social activity would be great. I've always, ALWAYS wanted to be able to converse with the people you're playing with online, brawl's options were so limiting... Basically, being able to talk to people online using a headset would be one of my greatest wishes for smash 4.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Um, isn't that what live chatting is for? I do that every night on my 360.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
But I think he meant for Smash 4, not for what the 360 can do. Like how when you play online shooters, you can talk to the random people you play with, but for Smash 4 if/when you play online and meet random players.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
But I think he meant for Smash 4, not for what the 360 can do. Like how when you play online shooters, you can talk to the random people you play with, but for Smash 4 if/when you play online and meet random players.
Yup you got it. ^^

it just annoys me that FPSes allow you to chat with randoms, so why not smash? :(

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, and isn't Nintendo's new online service now finally supporting this?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Clones can give you alternate ways to use your skills on a character you but would wish to use him in some other preferences. It's bit like trade-in, if I can say myself.

My bro has huge liking on Fox because of his nimble movement while I prefer Falco with his aerial strength and good jumps. Luigi is bit same too.

I just wish they won't become blatantly done as in sticking too much out being clones (Ganondorf, looking at you. He's basically Bowserfied Captain Falcon... )

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Clones can give you alternate ways to use your skills on a character you but would wish to use him in some other preferences. It's bit like trade-in, if I can say myself.

My bro has huge liking on Fox because of his nimble movement while I prefer Falco with his aerial strength and good jumps. Luigi is bit same too.

I just wish they won't become blatantly done as in sticking too much out being clones (Ganondorf, looking at you. He's basically Bowserfied Captain Falcon... )
Oh not this again........We've had enough controversy over my sig for one pre-release thread.

@KumaOso:Except the message takes 30 minutes to get across due to moderation.:troll:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Well I don't think the GamePad will be used in competitive play if it's doing the same job as on SMB. U , meaning something for social activity would be great. I've always, ALWAYS wanted to be able to converse with the people you're playing with online, brawl's options were so limiting... Basically, being able to talk to people online using a headset would be one of my greatest wishes for smash 4.
I know it won't be used that much in competitive play, but I thought it'd be a cool feature to be taken advantage of for the controller online. GCC veterans will eventually use the Pro Controller anyway, unless some people are Wiimote, Wiichuck or Classic Controller users, they don't have to worry. c:

Basically, my point is that the fact that fighting games don't really have any decent use for a touchscreen sort of makes the GamePad useless for Smash 4, whether it's competitive or not. Right now, not a lot of games don't have a compelling feature for the controller yet besides ZombiU, though the only feature Smash 4 could really have is the GamePad-only play support or connect with the 3DS in a similar way. I thought having a live messaging system along with video and voice chat in a controller while fighting in a match would be something revolutionary and convenient. In fact, you won't really need any gadgets considering the GamePad already has a built-in camera and microphone.

Yeah, and isn't Nintendo's new online service now finally supporting this?
Pretty much. Nintendo said most first and third-party titles will have Miiverse integrated, so it's something good to look forward to.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You guys think that smash 4 will track performance via win ratio? In post brawl release interviews sakurai said he wanted to keep player interaction friendly, and take emphasis off player ranking because he didn't people not to do well and start to hate the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Excellent question, Vkrm. The way I see it, I don't see the reason why not. Sakurai's logic, at least at that time, was to alleviate inferiority complexes. While he had good intentions, people cannot go about thinking like that. You're gonna suck when you first start anything.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Excellent question, Vkrm. The way I see it, I don't see the reason why not. Sakurai's logic, at least at that time, was to alleviate inferiority complexes. While he had good intentions, people cannot go about thinking like that. You're gonna suck when you first start anything.
So....there's gonna be a ranking system in online play maybe?:bee:

Hell to the yes!

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
Just think: A ladder system for Smash 4. That'd be cool. I just hope that online play will be seamless. Maybe then there could be online tournaments and things like that, well, tournaments without lag. ^_^

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Just think: A ladder system for Smash 4. That'd be cool. I just hope that online play will be seamless. Maybe then there could be online tournaments and things like that, well, tournaments without lag. ^_^
Tournament Mode should be implemented to the Online menu, i honestly don't get why that mode is an offline mode instead of an Online mode. ~_~

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's true. It really was silly to have Tournament Mode on the offline section, I don't think anyone's ever used it, if so, they only had one Wii. xD In any case, we'll see what happens when Smash 4 comes out. ^_^

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If tournament mode is brought back, I'd like to see format customization for it like being able to make it best two out of three, double elimination.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Hopefully it won't be forgotten like SSF4's Tournament Mode.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Tournament mode was a nice addition but it never stood a chance against actual tournament software to organize stuff. TO's prefer to use tourney software or Challonge over the tournament mode because the former can be accessed and modified at any time and can be easily shared once the tourney ends. You can't look up brackets (let alone edit them) at any time on tourney mode and most tournaments aren't confined to just one station.

It's not that tournament mode is bad, it's just impractical.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
That's true. Alterations and things like that can't be done in tournament mode in Brawl. It'd be nice if Nintendo/NamcoBandai would make the tournament mode more open to do things like that, but that would require Nintendo to actually admit to a competitive scene for Smash, and, from what I understand, they're not too keen on that idea.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hopefully it won't be forgotten like SSF4's Tournament Mode.
I forgot about that until you brought it up.

That's true. Alterations and things like that can't be done in tournament mode in Brawl. It'd be nice if Nintendo/NamcoBandai would make the tournament mode more open to do things like that, but that would require Nintendo to actually admit to a competitive scene for Smash, and, from what I understand, they're not too keen on that idea.
While they've been hush on Smash since 2008, they've been supporting more hardcore things like the challenges you're getting to do in the recent Mario games. Skyward Sword also had the Hero difficulty option. It'll be a matter of time before the rest of Nintendo's IPs will get this treatment.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I forgot about that until you brought it up.

While they've been hush on Smash since 2008, they've been supporting more hardcore things like the challenges you're getting to do in the recent Mario games. Skyward Sword also had the Hero difficulty option. It'll be a matter of time before the rest of Nintendo's IPs will get this treatment.
It's just unfortunate that a lot of the hardcore stuff comes as bonus content rather than core gameplay (thinking SMG here where the hard levels were the ones after Bowser). :-(

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's just unfortunate that a lot of the hardcore stuff comes as bonus content rather than core gameplay (thinking SMG here where the hard levels were the ones after Bowser). :-(
That might have to do more with the nature of the game than anything else. They probably designed the game such that most would be able to beat the "main storyline". It's another thing altogether to get all the stars.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
That might have to do more with the nature of the game than anything else. They probably designed the game such that most would be able to beat the "main storyline". It's another thing altogether to get all the stars.
I know, it'd just be cool to make everyone have to go through one or two levels of pain every so often. :p

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't know about you guys, but after reading what the WiiU Pad does (requiring the WiiU to produce 5 times as many frames for the screen as if it was just a TV alone), I hope the Pad/screen isn't used at all in Smash WiiU (in actual gameplay). It would, however, be cool to view replays, men stuff, and post and pre-match stuff on there.

@ Kuma
'Hero Mode' in Skyward Sword is just double damage done by enemies, less hearts, and whatnot.
You think so? I dunno, I think that smash has already had several installments, vets have been changed but the tier list is as wonky as ever.
Smash has always been, and always will be, very wonky with tiers, gameplay, and everything. It is in Sakurai's nature. Every smash game thus far has been, gameplay-wise (outside of characters and the basic controls), completely different from one another. If you step back and look at each game, it's pretty ridiculous. I would compare the jump from Smash 64 to Melee to Brawl like the jump from Street Fighter to Marvel vs. Capcom.
True enough that we lack combos - well, ones that are solid: We can get luck-based combos but nothing definitive outside of, well, locks really (jab lock, laser lock, ice block lock, Dtilt lock, etc) in to other moves that happen to lead in to other moves. Still, i'm worried that Namco Bandai will change smash in a way that will make me dislike it. I enjoy smash specifically because of it's unique mechanics that have introduced so much to the fighting genre. Will NB, a company that goes for something a lot more traditional, change that for the better or the worse? I'm honestly not sure so i'm hoping that if they do change it then they change it in a positive way. Otherwise i'm not sure how happy i'll be with smash.
Namco Bandai makes a lot of unique fighting games. This particular team has always experiments a lot with Soul Calibur, lately to mixed results (although that was more on returning gameplay aspects, and how things came together). Still, Nintendo, and above all, Sakurai are running the show. This new team will add some stuff (possibly from previous influence), but overall, the series will remain the same, if not better. After all, Game Arts, a much lesser company, was able to do a fairly competent job with Brawl, and they were fighting game rookies. Imagine what these fighting game LEGENDS could do for Smash (Soul Calibur I & II are AMAZING!).

Also, did you know the Smash WiiU/3DS staff at Namco Bandai, along with some of the current staff at HAL Laboratories (who developed Smash 64/Melee) made "The Outfoxies," which is where some of the smash bros' gameplay blueprint came from=??? This is some proof that this current team knows what they're doing. Still, I hope HAL Laboratories at least sends a few people to help make these 2 games. IMO Smash is just "better" and "more complete" with HAL helping make it.
Of course even so, i think NB doesn't really want to change any of smash's fundamentals because of sensitivity issues (which i think is really mature and I totally respect NB for that. By the same token if they can make it better then I'd have no problem with that either), so may be that I don't have to worry. :o
The SSB. fundamentals won't change. It's essentially perfect. Namco Bandai knows that and will respect and build off that while making these 2 forthcoming hype-machines!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Kuma
'Hero Mode' in Skyward Sword is just double damage done by enemies, less hearts, and whatnot.
It's still an option for the veteran players. I mean, there's not much else you can do with a Zelda game in that sense outside of doing a Master Quest version.

Smash has always been, and always will be, very wonky with tiers, gameplay, and everything.
It is in Sakurai's nature. Every smash game thus far has been, gameplay-wise (outside of characters and the basic controls), completely different from one another. If you step back and look at each game, it's pretty ridiculous. I would compare the jump from Smash 64 to Melee to Brawl like the jump from Street Fighter to Marvel vs. Capcom.
I still think the balance when it comes to the roster and mechanics is just so poor is what makes the series so wonky.

On another topic, how do you guys think stages should be approached next game? Aside from the obvious hazards option, I'd like to see more diversity in the stage designs that doesn't require gimmicks and is willing to push the envelope a bit. Things like floor breaks, wall breaks, etc. that are NOT done by attacking the areas could be interesting. Imagine DK doing a short hop DAir on a standing opponent only for them to fall through, possibly to their death? Or you get a combo on someone against a wall. The wall breaks and you have a free opening to a Smash attack.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I don't know about you guys, but after reading what the WiiU Pad does (requiring the WiiU to produce 5 times as many frames for the screen as if it was just a TV alone), I hope the Pad/screen isn't used at all in Smash WiiU (in actual gameplay). It would, however, be cool to view replays, men stuff, and post and pre-match stuff on there.
I don't think they're going to make the gameplay interact with the screen unless it's for single player, which I'm hoping some of those those modes will have some innovative gameplay aside from just killing enemies along the way. Considering Smash 4 will be released around the middle of the Wii U's lifespan, they would still have to take advantage of the GamePad's capabilities in some way. The GamePad actually updates faster than the TV, by the way. :p

I'm surprised no one here is excited about playing Smash on the screen itself, though. A lot of times people would make excuses saying they can't play Brawl because their parents or siblings are using the television. While we still have to get used to the controls, they would be similar to the Vita and 3DS. Now, the Wii U can do all that and you're pretty much free playing the game around the house excluding the 3DS version (maximum is 24 feet).

I was thinking that the Wii U version might be able to play six players, but it would be too crowded and the frame rate would easily drop to 30fps.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don't think they're going to make the gameplay interact with the screen unless it's for single player, which I'm hoping some of those those modes will have some innovative gameplay aside from just killing enemies along the way. Considering Smash 4 will be released around the middle of the Wii U's lifespan, they would still have to take advantage of the GamePad's capabilities in some way. The GamePad actually updates faster than the TV, by the way. :p

I'm surprised no one here is excited about playing Smash on the screen itself, though. A lot of times people would make excuses saying they can't play Brawl because their parents or siblings are using the television. While we still have to get used to the controls, they would be similar to the Vita and 3DS. Now, the Wii U can do all that and you're pretty much free playing the game around the house excluding the 3DS version (maximum is 24 feet).

I was thinking that the Wii U version might be able to play six players, but it would be too crowded and the frame rate would easily drop to 30fps.
It's hard to get excited on playing SM4sh on a screen when there's no details on the game at all. But I don't think it will make a huge difference since all fighters are always fit into one camera shot while fighting in 64/M/B and doesn't really tell us what could be done on the GamePad screen. Plus since the Wii U can only support one GamePad (2 in the future), those with the GamePad could have an unfair advantage to those who aren't (assuming the screen shows something only the GamePad user sees). So it might just be used as a backup screen if someone wants the TV.

As for the six player thing: Brawl had up to 7 fighters at once in Multi-Man Brawl so it's possible (but you may be right on the fps thing). As for being too crowed, there's a solution for that: Play on a bigger stage.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm actually looking forward to a special mode with like 6 or 8 characters on screen. Always wanted a Royal Rumble-like mode: when you get smashed out, you're out, and another character comes in, going on like that up to 30/40 in total.

Online it would be A BEAST.

Obviously the 4-character mode stays as the normal one.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
One thing to note about Melee's and Brawl's Multi-Man mode is that the Wire Frames and Alloys take up less memory than any playable character, which might have made 6 or 7 players possible in those modes. But since the Wii U is far more powerful than the Wii, I don't think we'll have to worry about how much memory the characters can hold (not sure on the 3DS version though). But yeah, I'd kill for a 6 player mode with friends (and 3-on-3 tourneys could be possible).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Firstly, all the other stuff you said is true and I'm not too worried... only a little, I promise! ^_^

As for ^ quote, I don't mind it being used in casual play but I am 95% sure that the gamepad will not be used in competitive play. Ever. No need to worry on that account.

I'd be excited to see the gamepad used on a social network - level. As you said, posting replays and talking about the game would be awesome to do on there.

I haven't done any hacking to my wii, so something that I just realised (though i've wanted it for a long time) I think should be in sm4sh is getting rid of the stupid, nonsensical 3-minute replay limit. It's so maddening that I can't get some amazing stuff i've done recorded because the game that my brother and I had went for 3 minutes and 8 seconds! grrrr! :mad:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
It's hard to get excited on playing SM4sh on a screen when there's no details on the game at all. But I don't think it will make a huge difference since all fighters are always fit into one camera shot while fighting in 64/M/B and doesn't really tell us what could be done on the GamePad screen. Plus since the Wii U can only support one GamePad (2 in the future), those with the GamePad could have an unfair advantage to those who aren't (assuming the screen shows something only the GamePad user sees). So it might just be used as a backup screen if someone wants the TV.

As for the six player thing: Brawl had up to 7 fighters at once in Multi-Man Brawl so it's possible (but you may be right on the fps thing). As for being too crowed, there's a solution for that: Play on a bigger stage.
That's true, but they could still implement some new modes that would be different from normal gameplay like Target Test in a different style. In my opinion, there has to be some new form of gameplay shown to differentiate the game from its predecessors so it doesn't look like they're rehashing the modes, since they looked pretty lazy in Brawl. Not that improving it is bad, though. :s

The Wii U optical disk is also based off of Blu-ray so I hope they would take advantage on how much content would be in the game, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom