• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Happy Birthday Frost! :D

How old are you turning?

D

Deleted member

The little strategy guide for Animal Crossing is adorable. Embarrass

But you can just be among us. I don't know what N3ON wants, but I'm open to not really being a faction but just a group that stays together.
Sure, either way, I'm sort of a Chaotic Good. I do my own thing, but I do the right thing. I work for no-one though.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Just got back from my work break and got Animal Crossing. I can't wait til I get back home to play it.
Is it actually good? Maybe the first AC game that isn't just a port of the N64 game?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Join me, Augustoflores, and together we will send the Moonknights spiraling into their own chaotic destruction. :evil:
Or not. Your choice, after all. :kirby:
You will regret those words! Moonknights will destroy those who oppose us and harm those who cannot defend themselves!
Your greed for domination will destroy us all:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Is it actually good? Maybe the first AC game that isn't just a port of the N64 game?
I only just bought it. I won't be able to play it until later this evening. However, the differences are huge. Ninty has a bunch of videos on it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We're too cool to be a faction like dem Moonknights, we're just a group that will never topple to the tyrannical dictator Johnknight and his lackeys, with an impeccable taste in shoes. :shades:

All those who want to fight the power of the oppressive Moonknights while looking fabulous are welcomed as allies! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

We're too cool to be a faction like dem Moonknights, we're just a group that will never topple to the tyrannical dictator Johnknight and his lackeys, with an impeccable taste in shoes. :shades:

All those who want to fight the power of the oppressive Moonknights while looking fabulous are welcomed as allies! :awesome:
I'm all for fighting the evil dictator, but seeing as I go around wearing meek sandals, it seems I'm not too fit for your fancy group of freedom fighters.

So, I'll lend a helping hand, but generally stick to doing my own thing. ;)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A group of ragtag misfits? Sign me up.
You can sign up with Holder, I just take care of the motivating speeches and accidentally making new enemies. :troll:
Haha jk, signing up is for Moonknights, so they can secretly keep tabs on you, just like the Xbone. Glad to have you aboard! :grin:

I'm all for fighting the evil dictator, but seeing as I go around wearing meek sandals, it seems I'm not too fit for your fancy group of freedom fighters.

So, I'll lend a helping hand, but generally stick to doing my own thing. ;)
Your Chaotic Good probably wouldn't mesh well with my Neutral Ev- I mean, yeah, we'll be allies. ;)
Hehehehehe :evil:

Anyway, I'm gonna go get New Leaf and be antisocial until I've caught everything. :p
Neon Heels! :colorful:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm starting to worry again. I know the trailer isn't even out yet and I am likely to know the answer to my question already, but when the game comes out, will some of you stay true to your characters that you like, or eventually sell out and resort to the game's top tiers once we start getting to that time of the game? My concern is that back at the beginning stages of Brawl, I liked the huge diversity of characters that I saw, where PT, Zelda, and even a Bowser existed. But now it's majority of top tiers like MK, Falco, Snake, and Marth, with certain characters being almost-to-already extinct, or just rare at the least. To me that's what made the game less fun and interesting, was the lack of diversity, like back then most of us would just pick FD most of the time (myself included, but thankfully I stopped that habit).
My concern is that with many things we become comp, most of us abandon the inferior characters/weapons, etc. For this case, it's the worst characters, sometimes with the exception to the absolute worse for either liking the character or for sandbagging.

But tbh, the majority of my character choices became mid tiers and below. Donkey Kong/Link for 64, Bowser/Pichu/Mewtwo/Zelda for melee, Pit/Bowser with some Zelda and D3 (though I had a tiny bit of MK who I dropped quickly) for Brawl. I was introduced to competitive stuff and tier lists around like the 4th month of Brawl, though. Pit and Bowser were the only ones who stayed though.
So although I hate top tiers with a passion (mainly because of how dependent ppl are when they're losing), I have already decided on my mains for the next Smash, who shall be Pit and Palutena, Bowser and Bowser Jr, provided that the newcomers are in, regardless of their future tier placing.

What are your thoughts about this pattern in many games?

D

Deleted member

Your Chaotic Good probably wouldn't mesh well with my Neutral Ev- I mean, yeah, we'll be allies. ;)
Hehehehehe :evil:
Hey, you got your plans and I got mine. I just wanna kick that dictator's ass is all...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Hello, and welcome to the Official Moonknight Direct.
I am Moon Monkey co-founder of the Moonknights, and current 3DS Champion.
We understand that there are some misunderstandings about the Moonknights and our policies, so allow me to clear these things up.
Moonknights is a faction that is all about protecting the weak and defenseless.
This of course puts us in direct conflict of the Neon Heels, who aim for total destruction of freedom and cancellation of your favorite shows like Cartoon Networks' Young Justice.
Please understand (Gotta throw that in there) that we at Moonknights are here to help, and urge viewers not give way to the Neon Heels and their slander and propaganda.
Until next time my fellow warriors, we will provide assistance directly to you.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm starting to worry again. I know the trailer isn't even out yet and I am likely to know the answer to my question already, but when the game comes out, will some of you stay true to your characters that you like, or eventually sell out and resort to the game's top tiers once we start getting to that time of the game? My concern is that back at the beginning stages of Brawl, I liked the huge diversity of characters that I saw, where PT, Zelda, and even a Bowser existed. But now it's majority of top tiers like MK, Falco, Snake, and Marth, with certain characters being almost-to-already extinct, or just rare at the least. To me that's what made the game less fun and interesting, was the lack of diversity, like back then most of us would just pick FD most of the time (myself included, but thankfully I stopped that habit).
Tires don exits for casuals. :troll: :shades:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Happy Birfday Frost! See I never even had a chance to get to a close Best Buy, so I've been out.

Just wait like the rest of us! :glare:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Tier whoring happens no matter the game. The problem with the Smash games in general is that the balance is so skewed. In Brawl especially, the top tiers were more fun as well.

The issue here is balance. I mean, look at Tekken. That game is pretty well balanced with a wide variety of characters used. The thing is that certain characters are simply more popular in general like the Laws and Mishimas. Then there's learning curves to factor in. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

@N30N Mikasa
You got any weapons for me to play with?

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
My concern is that with many things we become comp, most of us abandon the inferior characters/weapons, etc. For this case, it's the worst characters, sometimes with the exception to the absolute worse for either liking the character or for sandbagging.

I'll probably stick to my mains (Sheik, Diddy,) but I also like switching up my characters from time to time

So I'll probably start with those two and try out the rest of the characters

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Tier whoring happens no matter the game. The problem with the Smash games in general is that the balance is so skewed. In Brawl especially, the top tiers were more fun as well.

The issue here is balance. I mean, look at Tekken. That game is pretty well balanced with a wide variety of characters used. The thing is that certain characters are simply more popular in general like the Laws and Mishimas. Then there's learning curves to factor in. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

@N30N Mikasa
You got any weapons for me to okay with?
If only the game was actually a bit more balanced, but I doubt that it will happen in the next game either.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If only the game was actually a bit more balanced, but I doubt that it will happen in the next game either.

I'll probably stick with my characters for a while, then shift to a newcomer that I like so I keep my choices open.

As for balance, it won't be perfect, but it'll definitely be better.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

But tbh, the majority of my character choices became mid tiers and below. Donkey Kong/Link for 64, Bowser/Pichu/Mewtwo/Zelda for melee, Pit/Bowser with some Zelda and D3 (though I had a tiny bit of MK who I dropped quickly) for Brawl. I was introduced to competitive stuff and tier lists around like the 4th month of Brawl, though. Pit and Bowser were the only ones who stayed though.
So although I hate top tiers with a passion (mainly because of how dependent ppl are when they're losing), I have already decided on my mains for the next Smash, who shall be Pit and Palutena, Bowser and Bowser Jr, provided that the newcomers are in, regardless of their future tier placing.

I'll use Yoshi regardless of his tier. Come to think of it I only play/maain characters That I enjoy the games of.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We've got Namco on board, we should be fine.

It would also help if the characters were more dynamic in their move sets.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman

While top tier whoring can get stale, it is part of the metagame. Most of the competitive players do heavy experimentation during the early parts of a game's life with the cast just to find out who really is the best choice and stick to it. That is why you see more character diversity early in a game's life cycle, people just don't know who the top tier is yet. When the game has been out for a while and people get a better idea of who really is the best, the character diversity slowly goes down. It happens with any competitive fighter and I am positive that Smash 4 will be no different. I myself am a character loyalist too so I know how you feel, but you can't really blame people for wanting to use the best option when competing at a tournament.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I only ask this because I worry a lot. It's just people, myself included, get discouraged when they're using one of the bad/mediocre characters, and especially when you lose to someone who you know you could beat, but often fall short because of dependency on the higher ups. I mean I'm just a Pit/Bowser main and can't use anyone else effectively, but I wouldn't resort to one of the higher ups especially if I'm losing. Besides, I have a better chance at winning with Pit who I mained for 5 years than use a generic MK who I have little experience with at all.
I appreciate the kind responses, and is nice to see many players staying true. As for the tourney thing, as it is may true, it's boring seeing the same characters take up like 60-80% of the while roster used in em.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Character loyalty can also only go so far. I couldn't play Fox as he sank like me in water in a floaty game. He just felt unweidly to me. However I didn't develop character loyalty until SF4 so that may change.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I couldn't care less about tiers or what characters people consider to be the best for competitive play. I play as characters because I like them and/or their playstyle, not because they will help me win faster.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Character loyalty can also only go so far. I couldn't play Fox as he sank like me in water in a floaty game. He just felt unweidly to me. However I didn't develop character loyalty until SF4 so that may change.
I like the challenge of using what is deemed low tier characters. There is a satisfaction you get when you win a match that odds are against you.
I got hyped for watching last years Soul Calibur V EVO tournament because the dude won and used Tira who was considered the worst character in the game at the time.
I think it took hard work and strong character loyalty to stick with that character to get a pretty sweet pay-off.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
I think the best thing we can hope for for character diversity sake would be balance updates. Unlike the Wii, the Wii U can actually support patches which means we could see balance patches as the metagame develops. I am not sure how keen Sakurai would be on continuing to work on Sm4sh post release, but if he is willing it will really help keep things fresh and balanced.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm actually a somewhat low tier warrior myself. Fuerte in SF4, Xiaoyu in Tag 2, but my Jaycee is mid-high tier (real solid).

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I only ask this because I worry a lot. It's just people, myself included, get discouraged when they're using one of the bad/mediocre characters, and especially when you lose to someone who you know you could beat, but often fall short because of dependency on the higher ups. I mean I'm just a Pit/Bowser main and can't use anyone else effectively, but I wouldn't resort to one of the higher ups especially if I'm losing. Besides, I have a better chance at winning with Pit who I mained for 5 years than use a generic MK who I have little experience with at all.
I appreciate the kind responses, and is nice to see many players staying true. As for the tourney thing, as it is may true, it's boring seeing the same characters take up like 60-80% of the while roster used in em.
Think about it this way, The joy that you'll get developing strategies with your own personal favorites are what will make it worthwhile for you should you manage to defeat a "higher up". Although personal preference sometimes can only go so far as KumaOso said, Theres no shame in staying true to what you love.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was thinking about the Tekken Revolution video I posted earlier. The general consensus is that this is actually an open beta for a future game. What do you think about Nintendo doing this in the future? Not just for Smash, but for other games? This can allow them to experiment more without the big consequences.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm actually a somewhat low tier warrior myself. Fuerte in SF4, Xiaoyu in Tag 2, but my Jaycee is mid-high tier (real solid).
Nice i would love to see some matches that you have played (not me i'm more of a spectator of SF, Tekken and KoF):lol:

Yeah, I find it quite boring to play top tier characters that have already proven to be good. I like using characters straight out of the woodworks, that you yourself have to learn a good chuck of the B&B on your own. I remember 1 or 2 years ago at EVO this dude Gamerbee caught a lot of people off guard with a pretty nasty Adon.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm a character loyalist and it usually works pretty well for me. Often people don't have experience fighting against low tier characters and don't quite know what to do against them which is a big advantage to the low tier character.

It was this way that I made my friends think PW was high tier in UMVC3. They refuse to accept that he's bottom tier.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Nice i would love to see some matches that you have played (not me i'm more of a spectator of SF, Tekken and KoF)

Yeah, I find it quite boring to play top tier characters that have already proven to be good. I like using characters straight out of the woodworks, that you yourself have to learn a good chuck of the B&B on your own. I remember 1 or 2 years ago at EVO this dude Gamerbee caught a lot of people off guard with a pretty nasty Adon.
Any videos of me would be at least two years old and there's no Tekken footage that I'm aware of. My Fuerte is very runsy and I wait until a whiff comes and wreak hell on the opponent. This is similarly my playstyle with other characters, but Xiaoyu actually has pokes to work with.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Think about it this way, The joy that you'll get developing strategies with your own personal favorites are what will make it worthwhile for you should you manage to defeat a "higher up". Although personal preference sometimes can only go so far as KumaOso said, Theres no shame in staying true to what you love.

Pretty sure I do. I like Pit's and Bowser's styles. And besides, I wouldn't want to be considered as "just another MK (top tier) user" if I was to go that route, which I won't of course. Unfortunately, there's always me complaining bout losing to top tiers and things that I personally think I shouldn't have lost to, and there's those who make fun of you for losing, even when they know you're at a MU disadvantage or using a character that's mediocre or worse compared to your opponent using a higher up. It's never fun when under that type of pressure. That's one reason why I temporarily stopped playing Bowser, with all the certain characters, mainly D3, around at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom